PDA

View Full Version : BABY F6B

Bob the bike
10-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Photos of a new Honda CTX1300 are already being tagged as the 'Baby F6B'.
A new model for 2014 based on the ST1300.
This would confirm that Honda are using one engine and creating several models around it. The ST1300 has added this bagger? version, in the same way that the GL1800 Goldwing platform got the F6B. My money is on a naked Goldwing to follow............new Valkyrie anyone!

F6BPDX
10-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I can't understand this bike. It really seems targeted at nobody. The fairing is too small to appeal to the Sport-Touring crowd, too Ugly for the Cruiser crowd, too existent at all for the Naked crowd. I like that Honda is willing to go for it, because lets face it if they weren't we wouldn't have the F6B either, but this one feels like a miss to me.

Westernbiker
10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Now to me that is the UGLIEST bike I have seen in a very long time and I agree, who the heck are they trying to target with this bike?

Bob the bike
10-22-2013, 11:49 AM
I agree, there are too many design features I would want to change. The big question is, does it have ABS? or, for the American market.............cruise control?:duck:

MichaelG
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I can't understand this bike, but this one feels like a miss to me.

Mike, I think it may be a hit. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture above was...aha...a new bike for my wife. She currently has three bikes, and this would replace her 2002 Honda Magna 750 V-4. Because she is short, all her bikes have to be slightly modified to allow her to ride them, and this bike "looks" like it might be lower than most. The ST-1300 V-4 engine is as close to bullet-proof as anyone can make them.

Several of us have been after Honda for a lot of years to produce a modern version of the SilverWing...not in scooter form, but based on the ST-1100 engine, and now based on the ST-1300 engine. (we have been asking for a long time, that is why I say, based on the ST-1100 engine).
There are a lot of riders that want a GL-1800 bike, but cannot fit onto that platform, either because of the weight of the bike, or the height of the saddle, or the bulk of the bike, or...a combination of all three.

This new bike may be the answer to that. I hope that it succeeds, and that Honda sells a boat-load (cargo ship) of them. I know that once it hits the sales floor at South Bound Honda...my wife and I will be there to have her sit on it, and see if I can make changes to fit her.

BTW, how is that new windshield working for you ? Have you been able to ride it anymore than just the trip back home from my place?

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Certainly not for me, but maybe others,,

The best thing is, we can now say the OEM F6B shield is HUGE (compared to one on the CTX1300!)

Phantom
10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I see some resemblance to the DN-01 except it's twice the motor.

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Rut roe,,,

See that large gap between the forward cylinder and the fairing?

Wingers have been wanting an 'all new wing',,, '2000 cc',,, for quite a while,,,,

How about 1950 cc instead? :shock:

Paul B Blues
10-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Don't really see the point of this to be honest, someone at Honda has too much time on their hands. I mean, look at the windshield, pointless.:no:

bobbyf6b
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Don't really see the point of this to be honest, someone at Honda has too much time on their hands. I mean, look at the windshield, pointless.:no:

Thats so they can sell you a new taller one. Just like the F6B.

Steve 0080
10-22-2013, 01:10 PM
I like it..... will not be running out to buy one but I like the looks !!!

Paul B Blues
10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Thats so they can sell you a new taller one. Just like the F6B.

Yes of course, how stupid of me!!! :icon_lol:

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Add 2 cylinders, a taller shield, a tour pack,,, = a 'mini-me' Gen 3 Wing

F6BPDX
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Mike, I think it may be a hit. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture above was...aha...a new bike for my wife. She currently has three bikes, and this would replace her 2002 Honda Magna 750 V-4. Because she is short, all her bikes have to be slightly modified to allow her to ride them, and this bike "looks" like it might be lower than most. The ST-1300 V-4 engine is as close to bullet-proof as anyone can make them.

Several of us have been after Honda for a lot of years to produce a modern version of the SilverWing...not in scooter form, but based on the ST-1100 engine, and now based on the ST-1300 engine. (we have been asking for a long time, that is why I say, based on the ST-1100 engine).
There are a lot of riders that want a GL-1800 bike, but cannot fit onto that platform, either because of the weight of the bike, or the height of the saddle, or the bulk of the bike, or...a combination of all three.

This new bike may be the answer to that. I hope that it succeeds, and that Honda sells a boat-load (cargo ship) of them. I know that once it hits the sales floor at South Bound Honda...my wife and I will be there to have her sit on it, and see if I can make changes to fit her.

BTW, how is that new windshield working for you ? Have you been able to ride it anymore than just the trip back home from my place?

I think it makes sense for Honda to use the V-4 in something smaller stature, I just don't understand the aesthetic choices they made on this one. It would be one thing to have an ugly (IMO) fairing if it was functional but this one strikes me as not doing anything. It will be interesting to see it in person though as perhaps the photos do not do it justice.

The windshield is working out very well, and I am thankful to have it. I think eventually I will probably buy one that is a bit wider, but the height is pretty much spot on (could use maybe another 3/4-1" in height but I worry it would be annoyingly in my field of vision if it was so I would have to really give that some thought).

MichaelG
10-22-2013, 04:40 PM
The windshield is working out very well, and I am thankful to have it. I think eventually I will probably buy one that is a bit wider, but the height is pretty much spot on (could use maybe another 3/4-1" in height but I worry it would be annoyingly in my field of vision if it was so I would have to really give that some thought).

Well....if you are interested...I will probably sell my current windshield, once I make the decision of what else to go with. I am leaning toward a dark tinted Windbender, and the business is located about 10 miles from me. Kevin has one on his bike, and I have had one on my '03 Wing. So, if I do that, then this Tulsa Sport on my bike right now will be available, and at a discounted price. It is slightly taller, and much wider than the one you have now.

gordonrule
10-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Maybe Honda is trying to make a new kind of bike owners, I had a 82 V45 and that bike was awesome for a first year bike, now I have another first year bike and don't regret one thing on bike..

gray rider
10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
It would look good parked between my red DN-01 and my red Rune. I like Hondas the stranger the better, throwing practicality to the wind.

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Between the rad(s) running across the front, and the pipes,,, Shouldn't have any trouble keeping warm,,, :iduno:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/spied_2014_honda_ctx1300/photo_03.html

hiflyer
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I like it, and might even buy it! Not to replace my F6B of course.

RT59
10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I like it too. I wish it came in auto for my wife...

unsub
10-22-2013, 08:31 PM
It would look good parked between my red DN-01 and my red Rune. I like Hondas the stranger the better, throwing practicality to the wind.

Lol...I like, I like!

Mustangjake
10-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I like it maybe I could touch the ground

Trike lady
10-22-2013, 10:24 PM
This is more like a Baby F6B.

unsub
10-23-2013, 01:06 PM
So from what I've read I understand Honda's current manufacturing strategy is focused on developing bikes for the world market. It appears their motor/drive/bodywork collaborations going forward reflect the same.

Jhox
10-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I can't understand this bike. It really seems targeted at nobody. The fairing is too small to appeal to the Sport-Touring crowd, too Ugly for the Cruiser crowd, too existent at all for the Naked crowd. I like that Honda is willing to go for it, because lets face it if they weren't we wouldn't have the F6B either, but this one feels like a miss to me.

Here's your answer-----

Honda is strongly targeting new riders with nearly all its latest product introductions. With the American motorcycle market shrinking, they need to create a new audience to sell products to in the future. The idea is that someone who starts on a Honda CBR300R may move up to a Honda CBR500R, then a Honda CBR600RR. This new CTX1300 provides the same level of progression to its cruiser range. You may start on a CTX700, buy a CTX1300 a few years later, then move up to a Honda Gold Wing F6B. A tiered product range makes it easy for riders to advance the size of their bike as their skill (and budget) increases.

contek
10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
This is more like a Baby F6B.

Agreed. I still have my '89 that I bought new. My f6b is the only mc I consider close to it! :yes:

Lunatic Fringe
10-24-2013, 01:49 AM
I like it. Honda has seriously been on a tear lately making useful comfortable bikes. I like that Honda continues to go their own way and make weird and wonderful "new" bikes from existing platforms. Hopefully the price will be more affordable than the mega bucks st1300.

Bob the bike
10-24-2013, 04:35 AM
It is interesting to read that the ST1300 is considered expensive in the USA. I don't know what the price difference is between the F6B and the ST1300 where you are.
In the UK we get the Standard F6B with abs at £19199 on the road, all taxes paid. ($29750) The ST1300 is £14299. ($22160). A difference of £4900. ($7590). What is the difference in list price between the F6B and ST1300 where you are?
We do not know if the CTX1300 is coming to the UK. However Honda have just announced an upgrade for the CB1300S, called the Bol D'or, complete with LED lighting.
We are also hopefully getting the CB400 super 4 in standard and Bol D'or versions. Previously not available in the UK. No prices available yet!
I wonder if these models will feature in your 2014 model line up.

F6BPDX
10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
It is interesting to read that the ST1300 is considered expensive in the USA. I don't know what the price difference is between the F6B and the ST1300 where you are.
In the UK we get the Standard F6B with abs at £19199 on the road, all taxes paid. ($29750) The ST1300 is £14299. ($22160). A difference of £4900. ($7590). What is the difference in list price between the F6B and ST1300 where you are?
We do not know if the CTX1300 is coming to the UK. However Honda have just announced an upgrade for the CB1300S, called the Bol D'or, complete with LED lighting.
We are also hopefully getting the CB400 super 4 in standard and Bol D'or versions. Previously not available in the UK. No prices available yet!
I wonder if these models will feature in your 2014 model line up.

ST1300 is $18,500 MSRP, and the F6B Standard is $19,999 MSRP. Sounds like the gap is much smaller in the US than it is in the UK.

bigdew
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Stopped by the dealer today to pick up a few parts for the F6B and they had the CXT 700 touring on the floor. I checked it out for a bit. It is totally a unique bike. Not my cup of tea but the ST motor is an awesome motor and you cant go wrong with the 1300. Will be good bike for people that cant handle the weight and size of the Wing and other big bikes. I am hoping they produce the Goldwing motor sport bike that has been posted. the F6C. That's the one I want to buy next.