PDA

View Full Version : The New Yamaha Star Eluder

bigdawg
09-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Yamaha just announced their bagger version of their touring Venture called the Star Eluder. Looks pretty cool to me. I will leave it to more tech savvy members to post links and pics.

willtill
09-06-2017, 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPI981rwbw

Bighutch14
09-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Its definately a sweet looking ride.

Jhox
09-06-2017, 11:24 AM
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/models/2018/star-eluder

F6B1911
09-06-2017, 11:34 AM
OK,
With BMW and now Yamaha with new baggers, why is there no 2017 F6B on the Honda website?
More importantly, how can BMW sell a bagger $4k less than Honda??

Inquiring minds........

jmdaniel
09-06-2017, 12:13 PM
OK,
With BMW and now Yamaha with new baggers, why is there no 2017 F6B on the Honda website?

Inquiring minds........

I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP for my Honda bagger, neither BMW MSRP or Honda MSRP...

As far as Yamaha's bagger, it's a V twin. In other words, meh.

SimonTemplar
09-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Notice the lower cowl with knockouts for fog lamps. Hmmmm...where have we seen that before???

....sT

stepbill
09-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Looks sweet to me!

wjduke
09-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Too many knooks and crannys for me. That's the stuff I look at....nightmare to maintain. Can't see anything knocking my B off it's throne.

Walcrow
09-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Reminds me of a Road Glide made in Tokyo........:no:

crossbowme
09-06-2017, 01:05 PM
I saw a Transcontinental while I was touring the Gaspe recently. The quality and design of it was impressive. However, it was 45 degrees F out and you could feel the heat coming off it standing next to it. Might be a good seller up this way but I can't imagine anyone would buy it I W. Texas in the summer IMHO.

unsub
09-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Not a knock, just an observation of an otherwise nice looking bagger. One of the color trim levels reminds me of the old AMF days...maybe that's intended to evoke memories that Alzheimers hasn't already taken from us older riders. :shrug:

I think on the whole each manufacturer has been playing it really conservative with colors on their newest cruisers.

unsub
09-06-2017, 01:22 PM
OK,

Inquiring minds........

I guess they can afford to be a little aggressive in order to maneuver into that market space. I'm also guessing the BMW-B could also be used as a way to bring new customers to BMW with the hope of up-selling them either on the sales floor, or as trade ins later.

The BMW-B Has quite a few trim level$ as I understand it.

six2go
09-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Unlike many here, I have no problem with a V-Twin or any other engine configuration for that matter. What bothers me is that these machines are so darn heavy. I'm seriously considering dumping the "6" in favor of something in the 500 to 600 pound range.

Jimmytee
09-06-2017, 03:16 PM
OK,

Inquiring minds........

The BIG rumor is there will be a 2018 F6B based off the new GoldWing platform. The latest, coming from someone who went to WIng Ding, is that the Full New GoldWing will be revealed first with the new F6B coming a few months later.

BIGLRY
09-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Reminds me of a Road Glide made in Tokyo........:no:
http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IMG_3706.png
http://www.planet-science.com/umbraco/ImageGen.ashx?image=/media/101255/puking!.jpg&width=600&constrain=true

willtill
09-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Unlike many here, I have no problem with a V-Twin or any other engine configuration for that matter. What bothers me is that these machines are so darn heavy. I'm seriously considering dumping the "6" in favor of something in the 500 to 600 pound range.

True dat. Heavy power cruisers/tourers. They are in a class all by themselves.

broncsrule21
09-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Congrats to Yamaha for getting in the fight. I beileive the F6B is about 50lbs lighter and still more powerful. Not interesting enough to consider a change. I just wish my black came with a clear coat......Waiting on the next Gen Wing Bagger

Jimmytee
09-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Congrats to Yamaha for getting in the fight. I beileive the F6B is about 50lbs lighter and still more powerful. Not interesting enough to consider a change. I just wish my black came with a clear coat......Waiting on the next Gen Wing Bagger

I know it is all still just rumors and here say, but the Force is strong.:icon_lol:

If I were inclined to trade up, so to speak, I'd be kicking myself to do so then find a few months later Honda reveals something bad ass.

opas ride
09-06-2017, 05:46 PM
I know it is all still just rumors and here say, but the Force is strong.:icon_lol:

If I were inclined to trade up, so to speak, I'd be kicking myself to do so then find a few months later Honda reveals something bad ass.

As I approach the ripe old age of 78, my wife of over 52 years informs me that my next bike '"WILL BE MY LAST" and I know she is most likely correct...I am really liking what I have seen out for 2018 so far, but will wait until the Spring of 18 to really check out and ride some new models...So far I am perfectly content with by F6B and unless something major changes for me I will ride it for now...As said from some I also have no issues with a V-twin as a road bike and my Victory Vision was a dream on the highway to me...No vibes, great wind protection, handled super and did what it was supposed to do....Got a little heavy for me as I got older and that is why I traded for the Honda......Only time will tell....Ride safe

willtill
09-06-2017, 05:48 PM
As I approach the ripe old age of 78, my wife of over 52 years informs me that my next bike '"WILL BE MY LAST" and I know she is most likely correct...I am really liking what I have seen out for 2018 so far, but will wait until the Spring of 18 to really check out and ride some new models...So far I am perfectly content with by F6B and unless something major changes for me I will ride it for now...As said from some I also have no issues with a V-twin as a road bike and my Victory Vision was a dream on the highway to me...No vibes, great wind protection, handled super and did what it was supposed to do....Got a little heavy for me as I got older and that is why I traded for the Honda......Only time will tell....Ride safe

The Victory Vision was the BEST long distance riding bike I have ever owned.

It's a shame it was killed, with the rest of the lineup. :icon_doh:

Fingerz
09-07-2017, 02:13 AM
I think it's a nice looking bike and would like to see one up close. I won't be trading my B for if but it's not a bad looking ride. Coming off a sport bike the B is heavy. I don't mind the weight on the highway but the sides streets and parking lots at a slow ride becomes real noticeable.

TripleDuck
09-07-2017, 06:32 AM
I can find something to like about almost any motorcycle. That one is stretching my imagination.

willtill
09-07-2017, 06:35 AM
I can find something to like about almost any motorcycle. That one is stretching my imagination.

A perception of any bike will change; while you are operating it -vs- while you are observing it from afar :shhh:

jmdaniel
09-07-2017, 07:29 AM
A perception of any bike will change; while you are operating it -vs- while you are observing it from afar :shhh:

True dat, and I'll go a bit further, most owners are homers for their bikes...

SpeedyWho
09-07-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm in the market for new bike but an air cooled v twin with a belt drive just doesn't interest me.

Jhox
09-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm in the market for new bike but an air cooled v twin with a belt drive just doesn't interest me.

Market research must indicate more buyers DO want a V-Twin than buyers who do not.

Kolsch
09-07-2017, 07:55 PM
It's NOT a Honda Period

TripleDuck
09-07-2017, 08:01 PM

I get it. I've had 43 scooters and I generally have loved them all...except that damn KLR650:icon_frown:

Verismo
09-08-2017, 12:06 AM

I'm with you. I might could get past the belt drive. And I like V-twins. But air cooled?? That's a whopping step backwards. I have zero desire to sit atop one of those heat blasters in Texas weather. My nether regions have done plenty of market research and that's an untenable scenario.

SPGrenier
09-08-2017, 06:19 AM
I have been reading about this bike for at least a month. We were contemplating a full tourer and I find that the riding position on the Gold Wing pushes me too far forward for my liking.

The Yamaha Star Venture definitely caught my eye. At first glance, I came to the same initial opinion that it was air cooled and belt driven. I have friends that have put many long distance rides on the Victory Cross Countries and Visions without issues.

Other comments that I have read are that this bike is under horse powered. Yamaha hasn't put any horse power ratings out that I can see. 1854 cc and a bike that weighs in at around 950 lbs.

Demo events are far and few. There is one in Massachusetts and a Victoria CC friend and I have an appointment to take the Venture out for a ride. We'll see how it runs.

It was interesting to see Yamaha strip down the Star Venture Transcontinental and turn it into a bagger they're calling the Venture Eluder. Hmmmmmmm! Sound familiar? The Eluder has a few more bells and whistles over the F6B but comes with a pretty big price tag in comparison. For me, I'd likely stay with my F6B over the Eluder. However, if I were to pull the trigger on a tourer, the Star Venture Transcontinental would be in the running at this point. We'll see how the demo goes tomorrow 9/9.

In all honesty, my biggest concern at this moment would be if Yamaha was paying attention to rider concerns and introduced a water cooled/shaft driven version in the next model year. The initial roll out of the Venture was to originally take place this month but has been postponed to mid December.

crossbowme
09-08-2017, 07:35 AM
I have two friends that own and operate Yamaha dealerships. Both expressed dismay when they found out it was air cooled and belt driven. We'll just have to wait and see how it sells.

opas ride
09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
I have two friends that own and operate Yamaha dealerships. Both expressed dismay when they found out it was air cooled and belt driven. We'll just have to wait and see how it sells.

I don't see the issue with some negative comments about the Yamaha...Harley and Indian both make air cooled V-twins with belt drive and they sell extremely well in the market place..Yamaha has been making big V-twin engines, some of the best out there, for years with no issues....I had two Victory's with big V-twins, mostly air cooled, with belt drives and had no problems at all....JMHO

crossbowme
09-08-2017, 04:49 PM
There concern was not that they're V Twin. They are concerned that for all practical purposes the Yamaha is truly air cooled while most, if not all, of the others are a combination of air/liquid cool of some type. As I'm sure you know, air cooled engines expand and contract more than liquid cooled engines and (supposedly) are less reliable. I know someone will chime up that they know of an air cooled V Twin with 500,000 miles on it but that was their concern.

willtill
09-08-2017, 05:17 PM
There concern was not that they're V Twin. They are concerned that for all practical purposes the Yamaha is truly air cooled while most, if not all, of the others are a combination of air/liquid cool of some type. As I'm sure you know, air cooled engines expand and contract more than liquid cooled engines and (supposedly) are less reliable. I know someone will chime up that they know of an air cooled V Twin with 500,000 miles on it but that was their concern.

Probably referring to oil/air cooled? My Dr650 is like that.... it's practically impossible for it to overheat. In the wintertime I have to block off the front of the radiating oil cooler so it can reach operating temperature. Suzuki made the DR650 almost too efficient in shedding heat.

SpeedyWho
09-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Market research must indicate more buyers DO want a V-Twin than buyers who do not.

I agree with your comment, big twins sell better to the masses. I can't argue that. To me those bikes fall backwards relying style over functionality. A four or six cylinder liquid cooled bike suits my riding style much better. As far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR will run circles around the Eluder in every contest.

opas ride
09-08-2017, 06:55 PM
I agree with your comment, big twins sell better to the masses. I can't argue that. To me those bikes fall backwards relying style over functionality. A four or six cylinder liquid cooled bike suits my riding style much better. As far as Yamaha is concerned the FJR will run circles around the Eluder in every contest.
I agree the FJR will do a number on the new Eluder, but it is sold as a "Sport Tourer" and is one. The Eluder apparently will be marketed as a "Bagger" with touring capabilities as is the F6B....Regards and ride safe..

SpeedyWho
10-07-2017, 10:36 PM
I went to Yamaha Demo Days in Mesa, AZ today. I was disappointed in the lack of coordination, effort, and poor attitude from the Yamaha employees. The Yamaha factory website stated the event started at 10am. I arrived at 9:15 to sign up and get a good place in line. The event had already started and I needed to wait while a couple of rides went before I could go. Oh well, that's not the end of the world. When it was my time to go I was told the ride was over booked and the bike I waited for wasn't available because the Yamaha tour leader wanted to ride it. They sent me back inside to reschedule. By that time way too many people had signed up and I would have to wait a couple hours for the bike I was told I could ride at my originally scheduled time. To which their reply was basiclly "oh well there's people in front of you now".

I was there to ride an FJR, and the Eluder just because it was there. I didn't ride either, just ended up telling Yamaha to piss off and left. I really wanted the FJR for the performance/sport touring that I enjoy here on the mountain roads. I don't think I'll buy a Yamaha after the way that went down.

Kasperwing
10-08-2017, 10:34 AM
the bike eludes me...

broncsrule21
10-08-2017, 01:17 PM
I have been reading about this bike for at least a month. We were contemplating a full tourer and I find that the riding position on the Gold Wing pushes me too far forward for my liking.

The Yamaha Star Venture definitely caught my eye. At first glance, I came to the same initial opinion that it was air cooled and belt driven. I have friends that have put many long distance rides on the Victory Cross Countries and Visions without issues.

Other comments that I have read are that this bike is under horse powered. Yamaha hasn't put any horse power ratings out that I can see. 1854 cc and a bike that weighs in at around 950 lbs.

Demo events are far and few. There is one in Massachusetts and a Victoria CC friend and I have an appointment to take the Venture out for a ride. We'll see how it runs.

It was interesting to see Yamaha strip down the Star Venture Transcontinental and turn it into a bagger they're calling the Venture Eluder. Hmmmmmmm! Sound familiar? The Eluder has a few more bells and whistles over the F6B but comes with a pretty big price tag in comparison. For me, I'd likely stay with my F6B over the Eluder. However, if I were to pull the trigger on a tourer, the Star Venture Transcontinental would be in the running at this point. We'll see how the demo goes tomorrow 9/9.

In all honesty, my biggest concern at this moment would be if Yamaha was paying attention to rider concerns and introduced a water cooled/shaft driven version in the next model year. The initial roll out of the Venture was to originally take place this month but has been postponed to mid December.

Just curious... What qualities are you looking for in a "full tourer" that your B doesn't/can't provide? Again, just curious because there are a lot of people that add a giant windshield and a trunk solution then put many, many miles.

VStarRider
10-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Just curious... What qualities are you looking for in a "full tourer" that your B doesn't/can't provide? Again, just curious because there are a lot of people that add a giant windshield and a trunk solution then put many, many miles.

This was not a question for me, but I will answer it. Mainly, ABS and cruise. Cruise can be added, but not anti-lock brakes.

That will be the one thing that possibly sends the F6B down the road, but I can't see letting go of the flat-6...so I will probably get the new Wing in a couple of years.

thumper 549
10-08-2017, 11:10 PM
If ya want an old style caveman V twin, why not to buy a Harley?
At least not will hold its value .....LOL WHOooooops
Never mind.
In all seriousness, it looks just like any old Harley I have ever owned.
Or just like my Road King.
Whats the point? (Of another V Twin?)

F6B1911
10-09-2017, 05:56 AM
If ya want an old style caveman V twin, why not to buy a Harley?.........Whats the point? (Of another V Twin?)

That's exactly what I thought, "What's the point?"
Wonder if they thought about using the V-Max power plant before going with the V-Twin??
A V-4 tweaked for a "Trancontinental" role seems like a no brainer.
Time will tell, but I'm hesitant to think they will take much from the H-D market.

VStarRider
10-09-2017, 09:45 AM
That's exactly what I thought, "What's the point?"
Wonder if they thought about using the V-Max power plant before going with the V-Twin??
A V-4 tweaked for a "Trancontinental" role seems like a no brainer.
Time will tell, but I'm hesitant to think they will take much from the H-D market.

Yamaha said that their market research indicated an air-cooled Vtwin was a must for the cruiser-touring market. They also said that the Vtwin allowed them to sit the engine lower in the chassis than a V4.

jbongo
10-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Interesting - it used the Yamaha air cooled twin. I had a Yamaha Road Star - also air cooled - great bike and even though it was lighter then the F6B it felt heavier and didn't handle as well. I wonder how this new one feels.

sshake1905
10-10-2017, 04:22 PM
After owning sixteen different bikes over the last sixty some years, I will not pay money for an air-cooled/air/oil cooled road bike.....I might consider owning one if it was given to me

as a gift...with no money involved.....The F6B I own now is, without exception, the most mechanically sound and best handling bike, for its size and weight, that I have ever owned...

I am looking forward to the coming October release of the new 2018 Goldwing/F6B models from Honda.......:icon_biggrin:

VStarRider
10-14-2017, 08:14 AM
After owning sixteen different bikes over the last sixty some years, I will not pay money for an air-cooled/air/oil cooled road bike.....I might consider owning one if it was given to me

as a gift...with no money involved.....The F6B I own now is, without exception, the most mechanically sound and best handling bike, for its size and weight, that I have ever owned...

I am looking forward to the coming October release of the new 2018 Goldwing/F6B models from Honda.......:icon_biggrin:

I hear ya. That a lot of money for a pretty simple engine design. Isn't that where all the R & D is supposed to go? My Craftsman garden tractor has the same type of engine. :shrug:

Been watching some YouTube videos of people who have ridden the new TC and the bike is downright gorgeous and looks like top build quality...though we know that is par for the course for Honda and Yamaha.

What I have noticed in the ride videos is that the TC does not seem to have a lot of "get up and go". I am watching one guy right now who is rolling hard on the throttle and it seems to accelerate similarly to my old VStar 1100...which was a slow bike.

I am not sure how big of a deal this is, as I'll take torque over horsepower any day...but...I keep going back to my ride to work where I often end up behind a garbage truck or some other utility truck and I need to rocket past them in the limited areas I have available to pass on my commute. Flat-six Honda? Noooooo problem. This 1800 Yamaha, however, may be too much of a piggy even for a rider like me who scrapes a peg about once every two years.

Phantom
10-27-2017, 08:11 PM
:039:

With the NEW 2018 Goldwing .... Not sure how well this 2018 Yamaha will sell (prices are supposedly comparable with a new Harley Davidson)

VStarRider
10-27-2017, 08:17 PM
:039:

With the NEW 2018 Goldwing .... Not sure how well this 2018 Yamaha will sell (prices are supposedly comparable with a new Harley Davidson)

...especially when it is getting beat by Corollas and Sentras from stoplights...

Coop creek
10-27-2017, 11:41 PM
I took a demo ride on the Eluder and Venture, and was unimpressed with the performance, which I thought was anemic. The motor is quiet and smooth at idle/cruise but it's got a thumpity thump on acceleration which just stands out and doesn't seem to fit. Also, I was disappointed by the quality of the plastic parts. The bag lids were hard to open up (with the button) and they did not seem well seated or sealed in the closed position. I will try to attach some pictures

Coop creek
10-28-2017, 04:51 PM
OK, I re-posted the pictures in the off-topic section, there is a link to a Flickr album, hopefully that works.