PDA

View Full Version : F6B not knee friendly....help

cody13
09-09-2017, 05:44 PM
I've had my new F6B for three weeks. Nearly 1200 miles and I can honestly say this is the most uncomfortable bike i've ever owned when it comes to my sitting position???? Kills my knees. Am I the only person with this issue? Was the bike made for a five foot tall person. I'm 6 foot tall and and my knees hurt so much it's not even funny. My leggs need to go out forward some what....not bent back under me. Wouldn't this hurt most everyone? I ordered some higway pegs but can't ride around all the time with your feet up front away from your brake and shifter. Anyone else dealt with this? I love everything about this bike, BUT the rider position. I didn't feel good when I first sit on it, but figured it was something that I wasn't used to but would grow into it. Now each ride hurts more than the last. help....

speedjunkie
09-09-2017, 05:59 PM
I'm just short of 6' & have the same issue, knees are killing me well under 100 miles. I just slide my foot forward to where just the heal is on the peg, plus the highway pegs, usually is enough to get by to the next gas stop. Then it's touchy for a bit.

Mike

Ewreck
09-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I had my stock seat raised up 1.5 inches and back 2.5 to go along with dropped down mini boards. I'm 6'2 and bike fits great.

jm21ddd15
09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Put 37000 miles on, with the stock seat and foot pegs, on my 2015. Never had any knee pain, or dislike of the seating position. I'm 5' 11''. Love the bike. I did finally switch seats, to an Ultimate mid rider. Put me forward about 3/4 of an inch and is a slightly higher seating position. After 37000, it is still taking some getting used to the new saddle.

3Chief
09-09-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm 5'11" with short legs and a long torso, the highway pegs help on longer rides. I switched to a Mustang seat right of the bat when I got the be so the knee issue seem more pronounced without the highway pegs to me.

edgeman55
09-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I am 6'4" with about a 33 inch inseam.I am still on the stock seat but have the drop down kury mini boards which are adjustable fore and aft and to tilt.Set mine forward with a notch of forward tilt and it took out a lot of the knee bend your experiencing.The reason for the forward tilt is to give better clearance for my toe to shift.These really helped=I plan on getting a RDL seat done next spring which should put me back and up a little which should further relaxing the knee bend.Hope this helps you out.

Verismo
09-09-2017, 06:58 PM
+4 on Kuryakyn mini boards with drop down. I'm 6' and the boards give me about an 80-85° bend at the knees. I like this better than going the full 90°(or the 70-80° stock position) because it allows for easier posting over pot holes. There's a company that makes an elaborate foot peg relocation kit if you prefer a totally forward riding position, but it'll set you back about 700 bucks, I think. The other thing to consider is physical fitness and quad/hamstring/core strength. You're pushing around a 900 pound motorcycle and an ergonomic position can only supplement a moderately strong rider. Don't give up until you are fully satisfied, either. It's a fantastic machine but you need to be comfortable to fully enjoy it. Good luck!!

Jason

wjduke
09-09-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm 5'11, and this bike fits me to a tee, so there you go. We're all different. I have highway pegs and don't even use them. I feel perfect on this thing.

Jimmytee
09-09-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm 5' 8" and honestly think this bike was made for someone my height. I do use highway pegs to stretch my legs out, but am very comfortable on this bike for 12-16 hour days. I also have a Corbin seat, Helibars.

HBWinger
09-09-2017, 09:45 PM
I've had my new F6B for three weeks. Nearly 1200 miles and I can honestly say this is the most uncomfortable bike i've ever owned when it comes to my sitting position???? Kills my knees. Am I the only person with this issue? Was the bike made for a five foot tall person. I'm 6 foot tall and and my knees hurt so much it's not even funny. My leggs need to go out forward some what....not bent back under me. Wouldn't this hurt most everyone? I ordered some higway pegs but can't ride around all the time with your feet up front away from your brake and shifter. Anyone else dealt with this? I love everything about this bike, BUT the rider position. I didn't feel good when I first sit on it, but figured it was something that I wasn't used to but would grow into it. Now each ride hurts more than the last. help....

You sound more like a Harley guy.:stirthepot:

gmorstad
09-09-2017, 11:08 PM

I have addressed this previously so I hope nobody minds hearing about it again. I too have knee problems and had to sell my ST1300 because of my knees. I thought the F6b would be better so I bought one. After riding a short time my knees were hurting again and I was afraid I would have to sell it until I put on the Kuryakyn II pegs. The pegs saved my riding. Because of them I can sit in about five different positions including lifting the bottom of my butt completely off the seat while pushing hard on the pegs. I'm not concerned about braking because the bike has linked brakes so pulling the brake handle engages both front and back. I only use the pegs when I don't plan on braking anyway. The ability to straighten my legs with the pegs has definitely helped my knees and allowed me to keep riding.https://imgur.com/a/kNdPg

Navvet
09-09-2017, 11:51 PM
I am big (but not as big as Big Larry) with a 36+" inseam and have a lot of problems with my knees.

I went the Roadsmith route, Moved the pegs and controls forward a couple of inches and down a touch. Bike is now much more comfortable and I can get my size 14's on the controls safely. :clap2:

Do a forum search for Roadsmith for more info.

Verismo
09-09-2017, 11:57 PM
I am big (but not as big as Big Larry) with a 36+" inseam and have a lot of problems with my knees.

I went the Roadsmith route, Moved the pegs and controls forward a couple of inches and down a touch. Bike is now much more comfortable and I can get my size 14's on the controls safely. :clap2:

Do a forum search for Roadsmith for more info.

Roadsmith! That's the name I couldn't remember. How are you finding the heat with your toes that near the cylinder heads?

Jason

Navvet
09-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Roadsmith! That's the name I couldn't remember. How are you finding the heat with your toes that near the cylinder heads?

Jason

I have not noticed a difference, Just overall more legroom.

willtill
09-10-2017, 07:10 AM
http://www.roadsmithtrikes.com/shop/product/470/comfort-controls/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rFCyUgZsF4

tiltingf6b
09-10-2017, 07:50 AM

I have:

Beautiful Saddleman Custom Seat "Black"

cost $575.00 new

sell for $275.00 plus shipping ($100.00) $375 total

Seat is perfect - compare to mustang - you sit further back with more back support, the nose is narrower and the seat allows you to sit back further - great for longer legs I'm too short to use.

email me m-sat sanctuaryinmobile@comcast.net

email me sunday at rudyathome@comcast.net

also listed in classified - but thought this might help your dilemma.

wjduke
09-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Hope you find relief. I was actually thinking about this today while riding. I don't see where blaming the bike fits in. I think it's a case of bad knees or something. The bike doesn't kill everyone's knees like it does to some. Please don't take this wrong, but rereading the OP, it made it sound like it's the bikes fault. Some people need the adjustments, some don't need anything. As I said already, it's a perfect fit for me. I'm 61 years old now, a tad under 6', weight 210, and have stock seat and pegs. I can ride all day.

Verismo
09-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Hope you find relief. I was actually thinking about this today while riding. I don't see where blaming the bike fits in. I think it's a case of bad knees or something. The bike doesn't kill everyone's knees like it does to some. Please don't take this wrong, but rereading the OP, it made it sound like it's the bikes fault. Some people need the adjustments, some don't need anything. As I said already, it's a perfect fit for me. I'm 61 years old now, a tad under 6', weight 210, and have stock seat and pegs. I can ride all day.

I find this particular defense of an inanimate object particularly idiosyncratic. So what if he/she blames the bike? For him, it's the most uncomfortable bike he's ever been on, and that's got to be incredibly frustrating when you spend a bunch of your hard earned money on something that's supposed to bring you joy. I can relate. I'm coming from a 2014 Valkyrie, and relative to my 1999 Valkyrie, I found it very ergonomically unfriendly. The F6b is a fantastic machine and fits me much better, but there are definite design trade offs just like anything else. The vibration free horizontally opposed six is a magic engine with a magically low center of gravity. But it also sticks out quite a bit and makes an easy toes forward/knees relaxed cruiser position challenging to attain. If you're comfortable, that's fantastic, and what I wish for all of us. But you being comfortable on your bike doesn't help the poster be comfortable on his.

cody13
09-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks man....I do love my bike. I also problem have some knee issues at 59..... I have been on a bike non stop since I was 6. I have owned Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki bikes. I just got of a long run on Harley touring bikes. I've never had any leg or knee discomfort on anything...until now. I am just surprised as I just thought the wings were known for being the ultimate touring machine. This issue really came as a shock to me. I added the ERGO III system today and I'm sure this will help. Gonna get my seat back a couple inches and this should fix it all! Thanks again.

Xrider57
09-10-2017, 09:06 PM
I find this particular defense of an inanimate object particularly idiosyncratic. So what if he/she blames the bike? For him, it's the most uncomfortable bike he's ever been on, and that's got to be incredibly frustrating when you spend a bunch of your hard earned money on something that's supposed to bring you joy. I can relate. I'm coming from a 2014 Valkyrie, and relative to my 1999 Valkyrie, I found it very ergonomically unfriendly. The F6b is a fantastic machine and fits me much better, but there are definite design trade offs just like anything else. The vibration free horizontally opposed six is a magic engine with a magically low center of gravity. But it also sticks out quite a bit and makes an easy toes forward/knees relaxed cruiser position challenging to attain. If you're comfortable, that's fantastic, and what I wish for all of us. But you being comfortable on your bike doesn't help the poster be comfortable on his.
I'm 5-6 and have to modify every bike to fit me and keep me comfortable. I have a bad back( still recovering from second surgery) and sore knees. I have moved my handlebars back and up, ergo 111 highway pegs and a heartco seat with backrest. To get more of my feet on the ground I lowered it 1 inch. I have also changed the windshield. Bikes are made for an average stature but we are all so different so we need to make them our own.

wjduke
09-11-2017, 04:35 AM

You kind of missed my point

I'm 5-6 and have to modify every bike to fit me and keep me comfortable. I have a bad back( still recovering from second surgery) and sore knees. I have moved my handlebars back and up, ergo 111 highway pegs and a heartco seat with backrest. To get more of my feet on the ground I lowered it 1 inch. I have also changed the windshield. Bikes are made for an average stature but we are all so different so we need to make them our own.

You made my point

Verismo
09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
You kind of missed my point

You made my point

If you say so. I'd say you kinda missed both the poster's and my point. (His being he just wants to be more comfortable. Mine being who cares if he blames the bike.) If he's owned a bunch of other bikes, and he has, and the F6b is the first bike to give him knee problems, then it's fair for him to say it's the bike, especially considering the design trade-offs on the B might be the very thing preventing his knees from being comfortable.

Sounds like he's on his way to some relief with the Ergo's and the seat position, though. I might also be interested in moving the seat back for a better leg position. However, I have Helibars and that would mean putting risers under the Heli's. I've read someone on here doing it, but it seems like the throttle cable would bind on mine if I moved them back anymore. I'll have to take a closer look.

Jason

Old Ryder
09-11-2017, 12:59 PM
I will say that it took me quite a bit of trial and error--- AKA, money spent---- to get the bike to fit. Heli bars, peg lowering kit,and custom made seat to get me back and up, all of this to get the bike to fit my 6'1" 250 lbs.

wjduke
09-11-2017, 03:03 PM
If you say so. I'd say you kinda missed both the poster's and my point. (His being he just wants to be more comfortable. Mine being who cares if he blames the bike.) If he's owned a bunch of other bikes, and he has, and the F6b is the first bike to give him knee problems, then it's fair for him to say it's the bike, especially considering the design trade-offs on the B might be the very thing preventing his knees from being comfortable.

Sounds like he's on his way to some relief with the Ergo's and the seat position, though. I might also be interested in moving the seat back for a better leg position. However, I have Helibars and that would mean putting risers under the Heli's. I've read someone on here doing it, but it seems like the throttle cable would bind on mine if I moved them back anymore. I'll have to take a closer look.

Jason
I totally get his problem. Maybe this isn't the bike for him. It's common. A lot of guys look for comfort. I'm just saying it's each individual, not the bike. Maybe we're saying the same thing. Not all of us need to make any changes though. I've been here 2 years....handlebars, seats, foot pegs, backrests, wind screens...lordy lordy windscreens. I hope he gets it to his liking. It's a great bike.

Dave Ritsema
09-11-2017, 03:38 PM
An Ultimate King seat, Kuryakyn risers and mini boards with the 3/4" drop made a big difference for me in regards to getting my legs straighter and pushed further away from the bars taking more bend out of my knees.

Freddels
09-17-2017, 11:20 AM
I have addressed this previously so I hope nobody minds hearing about it again. I too have knee problems and had to sell my ST1300 because of my knees. I thought the F6b would be better so I bought one. After riding a short time my knees were hurting again and I was afraid I would have to sell it until I put on the Kuryakyn II pegs. The pegs saved my riding. Because of them I can sit in about five different positions including lifting the bottom of my butt completely off the seat while pushing hard on the pegs. I'm not concerned about braking because the bike has linked brakes so pulling the brake handle engages both front and back. I only use the pegs when I don't plan on braking anyway. The ability to straighten my legs with the pegs has definitely helped my knees and allowed me to keep riding.https://imgur.com/a/kNdPg

I have an ST1300 and I have a similar problem with it. After riding many hours, my knees are just hurting from being in the same position for so long. There just doesn't seem to be any way of fitting some sort of highway pegs to it. I asked on the ST forum and was told to get a HD b/c this bike wasn't meant for that. Other than that (and no cruise control) I love my ST1300.

With the GW/F6B, the mick o pegs are available and I know people that swear by them.

willtill
09-17-2017, 01:54 PM
I think a big part of new rider discomfort on the F6B, is the missed riding position on past bikes.

You have to get used to the new seating position of a Goldwing centric modeled bike.

It takes time, it did for me.... though with with some 3/4" drop adapters it helped me...

woody
09-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Trade it in on a Suzuki Bandit. After a few blocks your bum will ache so much you will forget about the pain in your knee's.

willtill
09-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Trade it in on a Suzuki Bandit. After a few blocks your bum will ache so much you will forget about the pain in your knee's.

https://youtu.be/f0ygUoVOtFY

Try a stock DR650 seat. After an hour... you'll feel like you were sitting on a 2x4

:icon_lol:

BIGLRY
09-18-2017, 03:30 PM
https://youtu.be/f0ygUoVOtFY

Try a stock DR650 seat. After an hour... you'll feel like you were sitting on a 2x4

:icon_lol:And on my 09 KLR650 a 2x4 would be a pleasure compared to the 2x2 Kawasaki calls a seat.:icon_frown:

LPMojo
09-22-2017, 04:33 PM
I think a big part of new rider discomfort on the F6B, is the missed riding position on past bikes.

You have to get used to the new seating position of a Goldwing centric modeled bike.

It takes time, it did for me.... though with with some 3/4" drop adapters it helped me...

I dunno. I've around 8000 miles on my F6B now, and my shoulders and neck still hurt after anything over an hour of constant riding.
I've moved the handlebars a few times...up, out, closer to me, Mustang seat, adjustable hiway pegs, adjustable windshield to eliminate buffeting...
Haven't figured it out yet.
Luckily, my butt, back, knees and everything else feel great after an all-day ride on the F6B.
The F6B is overall more comfortable than my 2002 Night Train. But while the NT hurts me a lil in a few different spots after a long ride, the F6B hurts worse in that one spot than I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. It gets numb, and hurts for days after. Kinda defeats the point of buying the bike for more comfortable, long trips.
So, I get where the OP is coming from.
What I can offer is, if you really dig the bike, try those forward pegs and a different seat. Not the Mustang seat. It puts more bend in the knees. I'm 5'10" and it put my knees right at 90 degrees.

VStarRider
09-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Interesting thread to read.

I think a lot of people come to the F6B from traditional feet-forward Vtwin cruisers, like I did.

In fact, I almost didn't buy an F6B because of the standard seating position, versus feet-forward. A guy with a BMW told me that, ergonomically, having your feet directly under you is better for longer distance as it naturally distributes some of your weight between your arse and your legs, versus a cruiser, where your arse is responsible for supporting all of your upper body weight.

In my experience, at 6'1", 230 lbs, and a 33" inseam, he is right. Strange how so many of you guys, my height or even shorter, find your knees to be in pain from this seating position. Reading this thread, this is the first time I have even considered knees as an area of comfort concern.

I have logged 14,000 miles on my F6B and I find it to be more comfortable with the stock pegs and seat than the two 1100 Vstars I owned. One even had an Airhawk R!

My problem with any motorcycle, snowmobile, jet ski, ATV seat is width at the hips and thigh support. I would describe my body as an upside down guitar, wide at the hips, wide at the shoulders, long legs. The F6B has the widest seat of any recreational vehicle I have owned, and I think that is why it is the most comfortable (I still don't like to go more than an hour without a five minute break) of any of the non-cars I have owned.

On almost any machine I have owned, my butt gets so uncomfortable after a few hours, I cannot tolerate sitting on it any longer. I cannot ride a bicycle for more than 10-15 minutes without wanting to walk the rest of the way.

Jimmytee
09-22-2017, 10:18 PM
I dunno. I've around 8000 miles on my F6B now, and my shoulders and neck still hurt after anything over an hour of constant riding.
I've moved the handlebars a few times...up, out, closer to me, Mustang seat, adjustable hiway pegs, adjustable windshield to eliminate buffeting...
Haven't figured it out yet.
Luckily, my butt, back, knees and everything else feel great after an all-day ride on the F6B.
The F6B is overall more comfortable than my 2002 Night Train. But while the NT hurts me a lil in a few different spots after a long ride, the F6B hurts worse in that one spot than I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. It gets numb, and hurts for days after. Kinda defeats the point of buying the bike for more comfortable, long trips.
So, I get where the OP is coming from.
What I can offer is, if you really dig the bike, try those forward pegs and a different seat. Not the Mustang seat. It puts more bend in the knees. I'm 5'10" and it put my knees right at 90 degrees.

That's how I was when I bought my new 13 in 14. SHortly after, I installed the Helibars and completely cured my neck and shoulder pain. I have put in 16 hour plus days with no discomfort in that area at all.

billsim
09-22-2017, 10:38 PM
The issues with butts and knees could be an age issue as much as a bike issue. When I first started riding I was almost 50 years younger and never had issues with seat comfort or handlebar position.
Now my knees, back and other parts are showing some wear and never fail to remind me of the abuse I put them thru.
Knees have a better memory than an elephant.
Just sayin......:stirthepot:

dickiedeals
09-23-2017, 06:19 AM
Fact is the leg position on the Goldwing F6B or other sucks period.Having come from years of the Harley riding position I have spent thousands of dollors on my F6BD trying to stop my knee's feet, shoulder neck, and elbows from aching...The handlebars to low, The distance from the seat to the pegs too close and to far back under your body. And then the width of the bike that keeps your legs spread in an unnayural position are all facts of riding the B...I keep riding it because of the smooth effortless exceleration... I have to be honest though it my be I'm getting older and hundreds of thousands of miles in the saddle have taken its toll...I can Barely ride 450 miles in one sitting..If I push it to say 600 miles I can but can't repeat it the next day like I did in my youth.....I see in the poll for the 2018 Rally it could be in Colorado..As much as I enjoy the rally if its in Colorado I'll not be there unless I fly out and rent a bike...It would take my old body a week to ride to Colorado..I don't have that kind of time.......
I think a lot of people come to the F6B from traditional feet-forward Vtwin cruisers, like I did.

In fact, I almost didn't buy an F6B because of the standard seating position, versus feet-forward. A guy with a BMW told me that, ergonomically, having your feet directly under you is better for longer distance as it naturally distributes some of your weight between your arse and your legs, versus a cruiser, where your arse is responsible for supporting all of your upper body weight.

In my experience, at 6'1", 230 lbs, and a 33" inseam, he is right. Strange how so many of you guys, my height or even shorter, find your knees to be in pain from this seating position. Reading this thread, this is the first time I have even considered knees as an area of comfort concern.

I have logged 14,000 miles on my F6B and I find it to be more comfortable with the stock pegs and seat than the two 1100 Vstars I owned. One even had an Airhawk R!

My problem with any motorcycle, snowmobile, jet ski, ATV seat is width at the hips and thigh support. I would describe my body as an upside down guitar, wide at the hips, wide at the shoulders, long legs. The F6B has the widest seat of any recreational vehicle I have owned, and I think that is why it is the most comfortable (I still don't like to go more than an hour without a five minute break) of any of the non-cars I have owned.

On almost any machine I have owned, my butt gets so uncomfortable after a few hours, I cannot tolerate sitting on it any longer. I cannot ride a bicycle for more than 10-15 minutes without wanting to walk the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

wjduke
09-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Now we're into shoulders. While I have no knee discomfort, I do get stiffened shoulders after a long period. I do rolling exercises front and back, keep them loose, and it works for me. Most anyone, after a long period will stiffen up. Let's face it....most of us on this bike are at least 50. Nothing stays young at that age!

willtill
09-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Posture too! How many of you hunch down; when on the bike for a long time? Sit up straight; and also move a little as Wjduke suggested. :yes:

thumper 549
10-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I have always had Harleys, But have always admired the flat 6 in most any form.
I bought this F6B about 250 miles ago and not sure what to about the seating arrangement either!
The Harley just allows one to spread out, lean back, and ride in comfort all day.
In fact on my road king, there are at least 3 places I can place my feet, under me, away and further away from me.
I guess I like to ride like sitting in the EZ chair with my feet out on the footstool.
This bike- I feel like I am wadded up in an egg.
I love the technology, but the ergonomics are certainly missing.
Esp for a bike with this along of a production run.
There has to be a way to solve it, and I am sure My body will reach a compromise.
The other aspects of the bike make it worth trying.

willtill
10-02-2017, 05:27 PM
GREAT avatar Thumper. :yes:

thumper 549
10-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Thanx
I like yours too!
There seems to be a lot of Military on here.
great to see!

I need to go find my Stetson.
D Troop 3/5
C1/16

VStarRider
10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
I have always had Harleys, But have always admired the flat 6 in most any form.
I bought this F6B about 250 miles ago and not sure what to about the seating arrangement either!
The Harley just allows one to spread out, lean back, and ride in comfort all day.
In fact on my road king, there are at least 3 places I can place my feet, under me, away and further away from me.
I guess I like to ride like sitting in the EZ chair with my feet out on the footstool.
This bike- I feel like I am wadded up in an egg.
I love the technology, but the ergonomics are certainly missing.
Esp for a bike with this along of a production run.
There has to be a way to solve it, and I am sure My body will reach a compromise.
The other aspects of the bike make it worth trying.

Give the bike at least six months of seat time to get used to that new seating position before investing in any changes. Being in the Adks, you will have to wait until next year! The best word to describe how I felt at first, coming off a traditional cruiser, is "trapped". I got used to it, and now I believe the seating position is better for longer distance than the foot-forward cruiser.

On another note, I will keep an eye out for you on my annual ride in the Blue Line...didn't make it up this summer, closest I got was Boonville, but perhaps this weekend, depending upon weather.

I rode up Rt 8 to 30 in Speculator last summer, then up to Tupper, ending in Plattsburgh. A 300 mile haul from my place outside Rochester.

thumper 549
10-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanx!
I guess I will not have ._.Knee jerk_ reaction then............LOL
I rode this back from Pembroke NH last Sat.
The fairing sure works well compared to a Batwing.
There is always Sturgis next year for a ride.
I went this year was a per usual a pretty fun outing.

willtill
10-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanx
I like yours too!
There seems to be a lot of Military on here.
great to see!

I need to go find my Stetson.
D Troop 3/5
C1/16

:yes:

HHC Discom
C Btry 1/82nd FA