PDA

View Full Version : The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

TandemGeek
09-16-2017, 01:58 PM
So, in addition to the recently acquired F6B, the stable has three other bikes. Well, two other bikes now that I finally sold the 2011 Harley Wide Glide.

One of the two other bikes is a 2013 Harley CVO Road King.
https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/20170909_151946.jpg?w=500

It's the second one we've owned, as the identical bike that came before it was totaled by an inattentive motorist in Florida back in Oct 2015. We logged 19,500 trouble-free miles on "Blue I" from Aug 13 to Oct 15. The replacement bike, "Blue II" came to us with less than 2K miles and now has 12,000 as we've been spending a bit more time cycling and doing a few other things vs. riding bikes. However, the bike -- which I thought had incorporated an improved Compensator that solved previous failure issues -- started to sound like this on start-up a short while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBQOX-LvSY

Sure enough, bad compensator and the rest of the associated parts in the primary case. Thank goodness for having an Extended Service Plan, which my trusted service advisor strongly encouraged. Hate that I had to use it, but glad that I have it as it's probably 1/2 paid for with just this one repair.

I've not heard anyone strongly encouraging anyone to get an extended service plan on the Honda GL's... or am I just missing it?

willtill
09-16-2017, 03:06 PM
It's not strongly encouraged to get an Extended Honda warranty, at least on this board. Some of us have anyway. I doubt I'll ever use my extended warranty unless something catastrophic or very expensive to repair occurs. I do all on my maintenance and/or repairs myself

I'd trust a Stealership service department up to the point where the bike and the "tech" leave my sight. :icon_rolleyes:

speedjunkie
09-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

unsub
09-16-2017, 04:53 PM
So, in addition to the recently acquired F6B, the stable has three other bikes. Well, two other bikes now that I finally sold the 2011 Harley Wide Glide.

One of the two other bikes is a 2013 Harley CVO Road King.
https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/20170909_151946.jpg?w=500

It's the second one we've owned, as the identical bike that came before it was totaled by an inattentive motorist in Florida back in Oct 2015. We logged 19,500 trouble-free miles on "Blue I" from Aug 13 to Oct 15. The replacement bike, "Blue II" came to us with less than 2K miles and now has 12,000 as we've been spending a bit more time cycling and doing a few other things vs. riding bikes. However, the bike -- which I thought had incorporated an improved Compensator that solved previous failure issues -- started to sound like this on start-up a short while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBQOX-LvSY

Sure enough, bad compensator and the rest of the associated parts in the primary case. Thank goodness for having an Extended Service Plan, which my trusted service advisor strongly encouraged. Hate that I had to use it, but glad that I have it as it's probably 1/2 paid for with just this one repair.

I've not heard anyone strongly encouraging anyone to get an extended service plan on the Honda GL's... or am I just missing it?

Two part answer.
I certainly have faith in a design that's been around and refined for over 42 years, so long term repairs are not a concern to me. Should something come up the odds are the cost of repair will be equal to or close to any extended plan I might purchase.

Secondly, again speaking for me only, I've never been an advocate of any extended warranty because warranty language of any kind is carefully crafted to protect the vendor or manufacturer, not the purchaser.

They do provide peace of mind in many cases but insurance companies don't build wealth by paying out claims.

On the topic of peace of mind, the F6B GL1800 platform has definitely provided that to me on countless rides.

Welcome to the B hive!

wjduke
09-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Meh, don't feel too bad about the conpensator, they've been junk for several years now. Latest revision isn't any better. I went thru one every 10k miles on my 13 RGU. The wing won't likely need anything in the time you own it, bit then again, it doesn't have the same soul either. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.

speedjunkie
09-16-2017, 05:38 PM
I'll take no soul compared to a broke down bike I can't ride! I know there's millions of Harley's out there, but it's about the only bike owners can't ride for a full season without an issue.

The wing is fun in the curves & is a mile muncher for sure, but, it just doesn't stir the soul. It's like a Beemer. It does everything so well, it's boring. Part of the ride is the adventure getting there. I prefer soul over boring. Must be why I own 2 shovelheads, a panhead, and am searching for a wing replacement.

Mike

willtill
09-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Breaking down sucks. That's not adventure. That's a pain in the ass

Sorry.

Draxsr
09-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Ditto.

Breaking down, even on que, isn't fun or adventurous.

speedjunkie
09-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Ugh. Compensators don't just go tits up & leave you stranded. How about a flat? Of course that only happens on a Harley. I've only been stranded for a short bit by a regulator that went tits up. Stopped every 50 miles, found a charger, topped off, kept going. Guess the adventure is knowing how to get out of a bind vs calling AAA.

Mike

Heatnbeat
09-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Speedjunkie, I"m with you. That's why my 90 HD sits next to my F6B. They both put smiles on my face, just different smiles.
Telling the F6B folks you like your HD is like farting in church. Telling the HD guys you bought an F6B is like coming out of the closet as a tranny.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

TandemGeek
09-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Telling the F6B folks you like your HD is like farting in church. Telling the HD guys you bought an F6B is like coming out of the closet as a tranny.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Truth!

GaTeach
09-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Speedjunkie, I"m with you. That's why my 90 HD sits next to my F6B. They both put smiles on my face, just different smiles.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Lololololol.

Too funny

speedjunkie
09-16-2017, 10:51 PM
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

That is a fact!

Mike

Zteve
09-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Been bitten by the Harley bug a couple (bought 2 new bikes) times over the years. The soul faded quickly though.:banghead:

LA Weld
09-17-2017, 09:29 AM
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Telling the BMW guys you went to a F6B, You are now a lost soul that has no brand loyalty and you are just misguided.
I was actually told last week I should have waited for the Bagger....
WAITED, yea right!

Still have the 86 FXR moth balled I just push it around the shop if I need reminding of "adventure of getting there".:stirthepot:

soupbean
09-17-2017, 11:18 AM
I ride Hondas mostly for the same reasons I drive Toyotas. I decided when I was in my early 20's that I didn't like working on my cars so I could drive them. Though I modified many vehicles to make them more enjoyable to drive. The " Hondas have no soul" thing, is a phrase I find hilarious. So when facts and statistics can't be disputed, it's time to sway someone's opinion by playing to their emotional side.

GaTeach
09-17-2017, 04:51 PM
I ride Hondas mostly for the same reasons I drive Toyotas. I decided when I was in my early 20's that I didn't like working on my cars so I could drive them. Though I modified many vehicles to make them more enjoyable to drive. The " Hondas have no soul" thing, is a phrase I find hilarious. So when facts and statistics can't be disputed, it's time to sway someone's opinion by playing to their emotional side.

I'm with you, Soupbean!!!!! I dare anyone to tell Sweet Georgia she has no soul!!!!

speedjunkie
09-17-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm with you, Soupbean!!!!! I dare anyone to tell Sweet Georgia she has no soul!!!!

She has no soul. "fireybat" Let's just agree to different strokes for different folks.

Mike

GaTeach
09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
She has no soul. "fireybat" Let's just agree to different strokes for different folks.

Mike

*You* have no soul bubba. Leave SG out of it. :)

druggr
09-17-2017, 05:41 PM

I agree with you on the "no soul" Toyota thing. I first discovered it when I bought my first Toyota ...a used 2003 blue Corolla. I quickly discovered that there were only 2 traits I could consider special about that car. First, it had absolutely no special identity ... I saw identical ones everywhere. I've since read that they are the most popular car ever made. Toyota has made over 43,000,000 Corollas. And second, it was extremely reliable and cheap to operate. If a driver can accept or appreciate those 2 traits, they will probably buy another Toyota.

In Feb. I bought my second Toyota. A new 2017 Tacoma PU. It too has the exact same two traits as the Corolla. Basically there is nothing special about it, or wrong with it either, for that matter. Does it "ping my pen*s" ??? NO !!! But I can say this about it. After 6,000 miles I can still find nothing wrong with it. Basically for me it is perfect transportation with no personality.

speedjunkie
09-17-2017, 07:04 PM
*You* have no soul bubba. Leave SG out of it. :)

There may be folks that would agree with you there! :icon_twisted:

Mike

53driver
09-17-2017, 11:42 PM
If flying big ass helicopters for 20+ years taught me anything, it was that "given enough moving parts, that entity has some sort of spirit."
ALL my CH-53s had souls and they had no qualms whatsoever in expressing themselves in one way or another.
The trick was to be tuned in to their frequency and decipher their language.

My Isleen and my Saorla both have souls....no question about that.
They both talk to me, mostly happily, sometimes irreverently.

They sit too long - they get cabin fever.
They both beg for my attention when I go out to the barn.
They both want to be the one chosen to go somewhere.
If not stroked and petted properly & regularly they misbehave.
They both have "that time of the month" and get associatively cranky - though Saorla is in menopause I think. She's always too hot and somewhat bitchy.
Sometimes walking to the barn, I open the door and almost immediately decide to take the truck instead either Saorla or Isleen.

Feel free to think about this as you may.
Maybe I'm looney - maybe I'm just in sync with mechanical things - but either way it's not my concern how you think.
But I have listened to more than a few 53s tell me "not today" and I'm alive today to tell the rest of the stories.

For those of you who treat your ride as a "motorized mistress" - IMH(AWI)O - good on you.
For those of you that do not - no worries, but you're really missing out.
In all cases, ride well.
Steve

willtill
09-18-2017, 05:11 AM
Do you ever say goodnight to your motorcycle(s) at the end of the day; just before you close the door on them? Especially after a long ride; and thank them for bringing you home safely?

:shhh:

I do.

speedjunkie
09-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

speedjunkie
09-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Still have the 86 FXR moth balled I just push it around the shop if I need reminding of "adventure of getting there".:stirthepot:

Rubber mount evo 5spd, what's not to like?! Love to make my 83 flt a belt drive. Super smooth for almost 35 years old.

Mike

willtill
09-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

http://i65.tinypic.com/v8pq1u.jpg

speedjunkie
09-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Gawd I miss the Big Johnson t-shirts! :icon_mrgreen:

Mike

53driver
09-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Do you ever say goodnight to your motorcycle(s) at the end of the day; just before you close the door on them? Especially after a long ride; and thank them for bringing you home safely?

I do.

ALWAYS!!!

BIGLRY
09-18-2017, 03:20 PM

I do.No, but I do say 'hello & wake up' when I turn on the shop lights to get ready for a ride and I have been know to set on my steel steeds in the shop and make zoom zoom sounds and during a build the first time the handelbars go on I'll set on the frame or saddel and go VROOM VROOM with a smile on my face, thinking; How is this iron beast is going to ride?:icon_mrgreen:

2wheelsforme
09-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Steel, plastic, rubber and wires. When this one fails or wears out another will take its place. No cute names or soul imagining. Gets stolen, great, I get a new bike. Now if failing or breaking down means it has soul then my boat must be very soulful. And lonely as I don't care for the breakdowns.

willtill
09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Steel, plastic, rubber and wires. When this one fails or wears out another will take its place. No cute names or soul imagining. Gets stolen, great, I get a new bike. Now if failing or breaking down means it has soul then my boat must be very soulful. And lonely as I don't care for the breakdowns.

It's all in fun... imagining that your bike has a soul.. and a personality.

Works for me :icon_wink:

3Chief
09-18-2017, 07:07 PM

It's all in perspective, for some reason break downs and failing seem to be the definition a motorized soul by a lot of people. I don't care for breakdowns which is why I ride Hondas, but my Hondas most definitely have "souls". They're rock sold and reliable, can't ask for more :icon_biggrin:

53driver
09-18-2017, 07:16 PM
It's all in fun... imagining that your bike has a soul.. and a personality.

Works for me :icon_wink:

I'm not imagining...especially when it comes to large helicopters.
The whole "life & death survival" thing kinda plays a part too.

Like I wrote, if you don't think so, that's fine - you ride your ride.
BUT, you are missing out on a lot!

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
09-19-2017, 04:48 AM
I'm not imagining...especially when it comes to large helicopters.
The whole "life & death survival" thing kinda plays a part too.

Like I wrote, if you don't think so, that's fine - you ride your ride.
BUT, you are missing out on a lot!

Cheers,
Steve

Oh... I am in complete agreement with you Steve. But get back to me if you hear voices emanating from your rides :shhh:

We would need to discuss that :icon_lol: We don't want you to go too far into the light. :shock:

GaTeach
09-19-2017, 06:10 AM
Oh... I am in complete agreement with you Steve. But get back to me if you hear voices emanating from your rides :shhh:

We would need to discuss that :icon_lol: We don't want you to go too far into the light. :shock:

Another couple of slugs of that shine and you'd have been carrying on a full conversation with everyone's F6B.

bob109
09-19-2017, 07:52 AM
"It's not about what you ride"......"It's that you ride":039:

speedjunkie
09-19-2017, 07:55 AM
It's all in perspective, for some reason break downs and failing seem to be the definition a motorized soul by a lot of people. I don't care for breakdowns which is why I ride Hondas, but my Hondas most definitely have "souls". They're rock sold and reliable, can't ask for more :icon_biggrin:

Breakdowns aren't part of the soul, it's part of the adventure, especially on old iron. The evo & TC bikes don't break on the side of the road that often, but do need routine MX & do have failures now and then. My gripe is when they have a recurring failure item, they just seem to throw a redesign at it & hope it works, instead of spending some time at it for a real one time fix.

The bikes unique personality and how it makes you feel is the soul. My old iron literally makes me giggle when I ride her!

Least that's this knuckdraggers opinion.

Mike

Heatnbeat
09-19-2017, 08:45 AM
My 2 bikes appeal to two different parts of my personality. Black Moriah feedst he sensible grownup side, but my 90 proto StreetGlide feeds the inner teenager.
At 68 it's harder to keep that kid alive and smiling, but the Naked Lady Xpress
sure helps😎

53driver
09-19-2017, 09:09 AM
My 2 bikes appeal to two different parts of my personality. Black Moriah feedst he sensible grownup side, but my 90 proto StreetGlide feeds the inner teenager.
At 68 it's harder to keep that kid alive and smiling, but the Naked Lady Xpress sure helps😎

Sometimes, ya gotta be loud and possibly misinterpreted as obnoxious...

Old Ryder
09-19-2017, 10:25 AM
I have 2 bikes, also.

My 14 Valkyrie (you really need to ride it before you say that it has no soul) sits next to my chromed out, ground shaking 01 Softail Springer. About the only thing they have in common if the fact that they both have 2 wheels. One is a race horse and the other is a show horse. One feels like you are riding on an electric powered magic carpet---- the other feels like you are being powered by a mini active volcano. Rode the Springer to work the last 2 days and put 240 miles on the Valkyrie during Labor Day.

Best of both worlds.

crossbowme
09-22-2017, 04:40 AM
If flying big ass helicopters for 20+ years taught me anything, it was that "given enough moving parts, that entity has some sort of spirit."
ALL my CH-53s had souls and they had no qualms whatsoever in expressing themselves in one way or another.
The trick was to be tuned in to their frequency and decipher their language.

My Isleen and my Saorla both have souls....no question about that.
They both talk to me, mostly happily, sometimes irreverently.

They sit too long - they get cabin fever.
They both beg for my attention when I go out to the barn.
They both want to be the one chosen to go somewhere.
If not stroked and petted properly & regularly they misbehave.
They both have "that time of the month" and get associatively cranky - though Saorla is in menopause I think. She's always too hot and somewhat bitchy.
Sometimes walking to the barn, I open the door and almost immediately decide to take the truck instead either Saorla or Isleen.

Feel free to think about this as you may.
Maybe I'm looney - maybe I'm just in sync with mechanical things - but either way it's not my concern how you think.
But I have listened to more than a few 53s tell me "not today" and I'm alive today to tell the rest of the stories.

For those of you who treat your ride as a "motorized mistress" - IMH(AWI)O - good on you.
For those of you that do not - no worries, but you're really missing out.
In all cases, ride well.
Steve

X3

F6B1911
09-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Bought a 1978 FLH, back when HD was owned by AMF, in four years I paid for it again in repairs.
My fastest Black F6B is 4 years old now, haven't had the need for any repairs - the brake recall doesn't count does it?

TandemGeek
09-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Bought a 1978 FLH, back when HD was owned by AMF, in four years I paid for it again in repairs.

Those were some dark days.... and really crappy products.

Some of the stuff Harley puts on the street has continued to be crappy, hence the oft heard reply to a mechanical failure, "first time we've seen that" (yeah, right) or "they all do that".

Compensators.... I'm on a new and improved model that replaced the 2013 improved model which replaced the last effort to improve the compensator model... and so on. Lifters, crankshaft run-out and....

Old Ryder
09-22-2017, 01:20 PM
I will say "Nobody beats Harley for quality".

Do not confuse that comment with "Harley builds the best motorcycle". They don't. But they do build with quality materials that hold up well.

They do not have the best design nor are they the most dependable or have the smoothest engine or ride. But they do make bikes that age better than most. I had a 20 year old Heritage and the paint was better after 1\5 of a century and 45K miles than any other bike I have owned. How many posts are here about the quality of Honda's paint. I can park my black 3 year old Valkyrie with 21K next to my black Springer --also with 21K miles and if you had to go by condition alone you would not be able to distinguish between the bike that is 3 years old and the one 16 years old. With the VRod, they proved that they can design a great bike that is dependable and powerful---even if it is not--nor ever was popular. They were great bikes for what they were meant to do.

Many Harley owners will tell you that they own a Harley for no other reason than they just want a Harley. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. I have owned a number of Metric Cruisers and ---try as they may---they cannot duplicate the Harley thump. The big Star bikes come as close as possible.

I will agree that the pre-EVO era was a nightmare. I think the 90's thru 2006 were their best years---JMHO of course. When I demo the new bikes, they just don't feel the same. They are very tame and feel domesticated and house broken.

What you have been reading is the ramblings of a bored warehouse supervisor who is through for the week and still has 2 hours to kill before the weekend starts. BTW---rode the Valkyrie to work the last 2 days. Love it just as much as the Springer.

LPMojo
09-22-2017, 02:07 PM
My 02 Night Train has been great to me in the 13+ years I've owned it.
I've replaced a throttle cable (sharp edge on custom grips), and a speedometer sensor.
That's it other than regular maintenance.

I get the soul thing. The NT definitely has a personality, and it's different than my friends' softails.
I often think of a Civic or CRV when driving the F6B. :icon_lol:

I've been dating a girl for months, and she's put in plenty of miles with me on both bikes.
She finds the F6B more comfortable and functional. She finds the Harley more thrilling, fun and "cool".
She enjoys both. I enjoy both. I choose which one to ride, depending on what I'm doing, how far I'm riding, what kind of mood I'm in. I'm happy to have both!

Edited to mention, I have more paint chips on the F6B in just over a year than I have on the NT after 13+ years. F6B paint, no bueno.

Oz-Man
09-23-2017, 07:18 AM
I will say "Nobody beats Harley for quality".

I will agree that the pre-EVO era was a nightmare. I think the 90's thru 2006 were their best years---JMHO of course. When I demo the new bikes, they just don't feel the same. They are very tame and feel domesticated and house broken.

Agree completely. Have owned 12 Harleys total - 5 were after 06. Other than the 07 Street Glide, just wasn't able to "bond" with any of them.

Bought a 2015 Road King........never meshed with it. It was smooth, and the 103 engine had more than adequate power, cruise - and that loud clunky transmission. Ugh. Traded it rather quickly for a 2016 Low rider.....same clunky transmission. Hips going bad, so had to get rid of that as well. Took a beating on trade - Harleys no longer hold their value like they used to, at least in my experience. In 93, while stationed in Colorado, I bought an 1987 FLHS (Electra Glide Sport, precursor to the Road King) for $12,500....more than it cost new. But, back then there was a 2 year waiting list for a new Harley. Sold it 3 years later for $10k.

Never stranded on the road by any bike - Harleys, 4 BMWs, 2 Wings, a Valkyrie Interstate, a F6B, or my 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 - counting my blessings. Believe that everyone makes a good product or else they couldn't stay in business.

Just my .02