PDA

View Full Version : Sena Bluetooth SMH-10

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Just picked it up today. Super easy setup, allows me to use my phone, listen to music and hear audio from a Bluetooth enabled navigation system plus acts as a communicator with another Sena user!!! Very cool and great sound!!?,

Beagle

av8rdave
05-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I would love to be able to add phone capability. This just might be the ticket.

Steve 0080
05-14-2013, 08:04 AM
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-headset-dual-pack

Hodgey1
08-02-2016, 11:34 AM
I just purchased Bell open face helmets that integrate the Sena 10, we have only used them once so far for a couple hour ride. I have seen a lot of positive feed back about these but our first trip out, I was under impressed. The music sound quality from the speaker I thought was weak to say the least and when using the intercom, the wind noise generated was not good at all. I plan on trying the VOX intercom option next to see if that helps with the intercom and checking the speaker locations to see if they're installed correctly.

Any thoughts from users where I might be going wrong? We spent a pile and hoped for better performance.

MisterB
08-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I just purchased Bell open face helmets that integrate the Sena 10, we have only used them once so far for a couple hour ride. I have seen a lot of positive feed back about these but our first trip out, I was under impressed. The music sound quality from the speaker I thought was weak to say the least and when using the intercom, the wind noise generated was not good at all. I plan on trying the VOX intercom option next to see if that helps with the intercom and checking the speaker locations to see if they're installed correctly.

Any thoughts from users where I might be going wrong? We spent a pile and hoped for better performance.

The speakers need to sit very close to your ears to have any bass response or decent volume. I've got the SMH-10 kit and it came with foam spacers that fit between the speakers and the helmet.
It's the same effect as when you pull headphones off of your ears a little bit. If your helmet didn't come with any they are available as an aftermarket item... here's a link to what's available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sena+supplies+kit

Also, quick tip for the frugal :money1::money1:, the Sena universal connect will connect to bluetooth headsets like you stick in your ear or wear around your neck. It's pretty cool.
If you only do 2-up occasionally, the passenger can use something like this to talk to you with:

Also, when you turn on the VOX there's a setting for VOX activation level, you'll need to set it high enough to mute the wind. This may take some experimentation as, IMHO, it's pretty distracting messing around with setting these things while moving. Maybe start at max and work your way down.

Hodgey1
08-02-2016, 07:18 PM
The speakers need to sit very close to your ears to have any bass response or decent volume. I've got the SMH-10 kit and it came with foam spacers that fit between the speakers and the helmet.
It's the same effect as when you pull headphones off of your ears a little bit. If your helmet didn't come with any they are available as an aftermarket item... here's a link to what's available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sena+supplies+kit

Also, quick tip for the frugal :money1::money1:, the Sena universal connect will connect to bluetooth headsets like you stick in your ear or wear around your neck. It's pretty cool.
If you only do 2-up occasionally, the passenger can use something like this to talk to you with:

Also, when you turn on the VOX there's a setting for VOX activation level, you'll need to set it high enough to mute the wind. This may take some experimentation as, IMHO, it's pretty distracting messing around with setting these things while moving. Maybe start at max and work your way down.
Thanks MB, it did not come with foam spacers, so I'll look into that as it make sense. We rode tonight and I tried the VOX and wouldn't shut off once activated due to wind, I will have to try adjusting sensitivity.

YikesCops
08-02-2016, 10:26 PM
I would love to be able to add phone capability. This just might be the ticket.

I've been using these for a few years now. I just got one BT unit, and speakers and mic for three helmets. Pretty cost effective.

I've done conference calls at 60 MPH. :-)

Navvet
08-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Thanks MB, it did not come with foam spacers, so I'll look into that as it make sense. We rode tonight and I tried the VOX and wouldn't shut off once activated due to wind, I will have to try adjusting sensitivity.

When I first set up my headsets I had a lot of wind noise. Then I discovered there is a little tab on the microphone so you can make sure it is pointing in the right direction :icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh:

Felt very silly when I realized I had the mic's pointed outward .....

MisterB
08-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Good eye, Navvet! Microphones and the holes they sit behind are so small these days it would be easy to overlook.

Hodgey1
08-03-2016, 06:47 AM
When I first set up my headsets I had a lot of wind noise. Then I discovered there is a little tab on the microphone so you can make sure it is pointing in the right direction :icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh:

Felt very silly when I realized I had the mic's pointed outward .....

Duh:icon_doh: , that sounds like the issue. Thanks Nav, i will pull the foam covering off the mic tonight and take a look which way its pointing.:icon_doh:

shortleg0521
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I have a set of their 20s models and have a small Bluetooth transmitter plugged into
the headset jack in the front and everything that plugged headset is available to my 20s.
That means the intercom the thumb drive the am fm radio and my xm radio in the left cubby.
shortleg.

broncsrule21
08-04-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a set of their 20s models and have a small Bluetooth transmitter plugged into
the headset jack in the front and everything that plugged headset is available to my 20s.
That means the intercom the thumb drive the am fm radio and my xm radio in the left cubby.
shortleg.

Oh... you use the headset plug with an adapter. Not the little plug in the cubby. Thing I have it now.

Hodgey1
08-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Duh:icon_doh: , that sounds like the issue. Thanks Nav, i will pull the foam covering off the mic tonight and take a look which way its pointing.:icon_doh:

I pulled the foam off the mic and both sides had slits in it and when I blew into both side where affected by my blowing on it. I took and placed a piece of tape over one side and faced it towards the wind. Took a ride with my wife and still experienced lots of wind noise. Should I place the tape on the outside of the foam also?