09-20-2017, 07:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7UH0Idi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ExGoBAV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cso0Uib.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J4EU3wX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ao2B1r3.jpg

willtill
09-20-2017, 08:14 AM
..did they redesign the engine? Looks like it sits higher.

Jimmytee
09-20-2017, 08:34 AM

All the rumors say it's a new bigger power plant and transmission. Also the bike is supposed to be significantly lighter

F6B1911
09-20-2017, 11:39 AM
All the rumors say it's a new bigger power plant and transmission. Also the bike is supposed to be significantly lighter

They'll need the displacement of any new engine to be bigger than the Triumph Rocket III to regain touring crown, as well as all the greatest new electronics in the cockpit.
Not sure I'm ready for an automatic tranny.

Tedubya
09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Looks like there will be both. The blue one has a clutch lever while the others don't.

98valk
09-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Hey, here's a thought:

The seats on the F6b and the Wing look very very similar. Maybe the trunk is removable! Probably not, but maybe ...

willtill
09-20-2017, 02:04 PM
That steering Head/Stem/Triple Tree or whatever you want to call it... looks massive.

Radiators looks to be a little further back and angled...

Walcrow
09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
It does look massive indeed. Similar front suspension to the Beemer Telelever. Frame looks close to the current year and I like the wheels.

Up the HP and Torque, add 6th gear, keep a manual, bring out a Valkyrie and I would have my next "cruiser".

98valk
09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
That steering Head/Stem/Triple Tree or whatever you want to call it... looks massive.

Radiators looks to be a little further back and angled...

I wondered if they have the radiators pulled back so that we could see the front suspension. They are so wide open that I don't see how the plastic will fit.

And yes, that front end is massive looking.

unsub
09-20-2017, 04:10 PM

2ltr or 2.2ltr?

I'm reeling in my gear now!

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

JGF6B
09-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Hey, here's a thought:

The seats on the F6b and the Wing look very very similar. Maybe the trunk is removable! Probably not, but maybe ...

I hope so! That is high on my list. I'd love to switch between full wing and F6B with ease.

f6bcarider
09-20-2017, 07:13 PM
it looks like they add an electric adjustable windshield :yes:

Jimmytee
09-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Hey, here's a thought:

I had the same thought.

53driver
09-20-2017, 08:52 PM
...maybe the air cleaner slides out on one side for easy changing...:banghead: :stirthepot:

Deerkiller
09-21-2017, 08:21 AM
As long as it still keeps the rider relatively dry while riding in the rain.

More power is always welcome.

Better brakes would be nice. A 6th gear would be really nice.

Looks pretty cool. Would like to see one in person.

speedjunkie
09-21-2017, 09:32 AM
ABS, better bags, & easier on the knees. I can do without all the infotainment crap, it's a distraction unless it's locked out while moving.

Mike

shortleg0521
09-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Will, if you look at the bottom of engine these bikes no longer have the facia around the exhaust
where it exits the engine. Maybe that's why it my appear higher.
The facia gives the lower look.
Also no shifter on gray bike, there is on blue bike,, looks to be going way of auto transmission

Walcrow
09-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Maybe the Wing will be the auto, and the F6B the manual. I'd go for that option............

The Honda boys over there should have contacted Steve and the FORUM for our input on this design, do a poll like next years rally, tally up the results, and make the damn thing.....speculation negated.

One other nice option would be maybe 25 or so special paint colors from the factory besides black, red, gray and white. I'd go with Lamborghini Orange. :yikes:

Wonder what Traxxion Dynamics would do with that new front suspension? Probably a new shock?

TripleDuck
09-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Yamahonda? Looks like they had some "blue" designers working on that one.

Broken Hand
09-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Hey, here's a thought:

If that were true, I'd be telling my wife, "You know, universities are overrated. The kids can get an excellent education through McDonald's mentor program."

Phantom
09-21-2017, 06:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ExGoBAV.jpg

I Truly like this Blue, I like this new look :icon_cool::yes:

VStarRider
09-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Looks a lot less bulbous than the current Wing lineup. I actually like the wide look...makes us more visible.

Are they trying to adopt a more BMW, sport-touring type of look?

Honda, please put cruise and ABS on all models. I would want one with the DCT myself.

LA Weld
09-21-2017, 07:50 PM
I like what I see.
I am never a first year buyer and having 3 year of warranty on my current machine I will be looking hard in 2020....:icon_mrgreen:

BIGLRY
09-21-2017, 10:28 PM
I Truly like this Blue, I like this new look :icon_cool::yes:Me to, now if I could get another 50 RWH I'd be as happy as a three horned Billy Goat.
http://speedendurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/HORSEPOWER.jpg

Circle-5
09-22-2017, 04:19 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2mrv785.png

Zteve
09-22-2017, 05:49 PM
The front of the bike looks good but the saddlebags are kind of old and boxy. It would look better with our current bags which have one of the coolest rear views of any bagger out there.
JMHO

Nightwing_67
09-22-2017, 07:08 PM
The front of the bike looks good but the saddlebags are kind of old and boxy. It would look better with our current bags which have one of the coolest rear views of any bagger out there.
JMHO

Other than the controls being in front of you instead of the left lower panel, I am not a fan...I like my 6.

F6B1911
09-22-2017, 07:15 PM
JMHO

Once they release the new model, the value of my F6B will jump significantly.

DarkKnt
09-22-2017, 07:22 PM
The style of our F6B's is very unique and we probably all agree, very cool. Every time I look at mine I admire the lines and appreciate how nobody else has done one that looks as good (ok, some good looking Harley baggers, but, they're Harleys!). It looks like the new version will be very similar to the BMW and more "sport tourer" than bagger. What all this means is, the 2013-2017 F6B will become a collectable classic :).... And, am I correct that black was only available year one?

53driver
09-22-2017, 07:27 PM
The style of our F6B's is very unique and we probably all agree, very cool. Every time I look at mine I admire the lines and appreciate how nobody else has done one that looks as good (ok, some good looking Harley baggers, but, they're Harleys!). It looks like the new version will be very similar to the BMW and more "sport tourer" than bagger. What all this means is, the 2013-2017 F6B will become a collectable classic :).... And, am I correct that black was only available year one?

Yellow & Red only available year 1....

Jimmytee
09-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Just don't see that. The bike styling looks more similar to the current 1800s than they do a BMW.:shrug:

choptop
09-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Other than the controls being in front of you instead of the left lower panel, I am not a fan...I like my 6.

I'm w/you on that,:cheers: got my B were I like it and am going to keep it.

bigdawg
09-23-2017, 12:14 AM
I plan on keeping my current F6B too. It took some work, but now it fits me perfectly and I want to enjoy it for several more years and thousands of miles. However, if I'm being honest I will probably get the 2018 F6B too as soon as it is available. Dammit. Hi, my name is Bigdawg and I'm a bike-aholic.

Jimmytee
09-23-2017, 07:00 AM
I plan on keeping my current F6B too. It took some work, but now it fits me perfectly and I want to enjoy it for several more years and thousands of miles. However, if I'm being honest I will probably get the 2018 F6B too as soon as it is available. Dammit. Hi, my name is Bigdawg and I'm a bike-aholic.

I'm in the same boat. Have done so many mods on my bike, with suspension, helibars,lighting, full aftermarket audio system etc... I could never hope to think it would make sense to try and sell my F6B. Wife did say I would have to get rid of the 86 Aspencade project that has sat idle for a few years on my table lift. So I guess 3 bikes is my limit.:icon_biggrin:

The Aspencade was my Dad's GoldWing that I brought home . I fixed a couple issues with it . Pulse Generator bad.Took all the bodywork off of it thinking I would repaint and renew it and here it sits.:icon_rolleyes: Besides time, just have not had much interest in throwing money at it when I'm buying new suspension etc.. for the B.

F6B1911
09-24-2017, 03:15 AM
There's 34 replies to this thread, and no one has addressed the elephant in the room.... PAINT

Hopefully the guy in charge of the paint booth got some updated training.

willtill
09-24-2017, 06:46 AM
There's 34 replies to this thread, and no one has addressed the elephant in the room.... PAINT

Hopefully the guy in charge of the paint booth got some updated training.

Paint? You mean the softness of it perhaps? I read ealy on that Honda had gone to a water based paint; instead of an oil based paint due to environmental concerns... not sure if that's true but supposedly that is the reason why it is easily scratched.

The Honda matte finishes on the other hand, do not exhibit the same propensity for incurring an easily scratched surface.

SpeedyWho
09-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Granted these are "Leaked Photos" they may or may not be showing final production models. Thus leaving us open to lots of speculation at this point. I gotta say, I'm not really blown away with the styling. After 16 years of the same tired design I was expecting more. I really hope the engine is more powerful. Given the 1800 has proven itself to be an outstanding piece of engineering outlasting anything in a motorcycle, it's just not a strong as it should be. Given the displacement they could have done so much more. The current horsepower numbers are lacking big time compared to bikes like the comparable Beemer, or for guys like me who are on the fence between the new F6B or and FJR.

unsub
09-24-2017, 03:52 PM
I might actually be wider than the new wing shelter, so there's that...:icon_lol:

It's never easy to have a full appreciation, or not, of any new vehicle until you see it in person. So here's to the 2018 GW whatever it turns out to be.

:cheers:

daleglide
09-25-2017, 05:49 PM
After selling my F6B in 2014 these new spy photos have piqued my interest. I am looking forward to the Demo rides when they come this way.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-motorcycle-leaked/

Airborne06
09-25-2017, 05:56 PM
After selling my F6B in 2014 these new spy photos have peaked my interest. I am looking forward to the Demos rides when they come this way.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-motorcycle-leaked/

My interest is also piqued. Just wondering if the new F6B (alleged) will come with standard ABS and reverse here in the USA...and the DCT option. Seems like a logical progression, but I have been surprised before...

98valk
09-25-2017, 06:13 PM
I'm hoping the F6B version has limited bells and whistles. Don't need no stinkin' reverse or ABS, or even cruise. Less crap to go bad, or get in my way when wrenching. ;2cents2;

Someone had rumored that the bags would be smaller. Smaller bags would look sportier. And I can load a bunch on the back seat and luggage rack when on a trip. .dickie-deals.

I do hope it has a bunch more horsies. :workout: If it does, I'll probably be shopping.

JimmyTee, you're going to have to do some real work on that stereo. Someone pointed out how small the speakers are. Hmmmm .....

Jimmytee
09-25-2017, 06:32 PM
JimmyTee, you're going to have to do some real work on that stereo. Someone pointed out how small the speakers are. Hmmmm .....

It's really hard to tell from the pictures. I would've hoped that Honda would have taken a clue from the other manufacturers and done something better with the sound besides the electronics. We'll see. I am not getting rid of my B even if I were to get a new Wing. I'd probably lean towards a full Wing though as it would make more sense than 2 F6Bs.

bigdawg
09-25-2017, 11:11 PM
I'm hoping the F6B version has limited bells and whistles. Don't need no stinkin' reverse or ABS, or even cruise. Less crap to go bad, or get in my way when wrenching. ;2cents2;

Someone had rumored that the bags would be smaller. Smaller bags would look sportier. And I can load a bunch on the back seat and luggage rack when on a trip. .dickie-deals.

I do hope it has a bunch more horsies. :workout: If it does, I'll probably be shopping.

I hope it has all the bells and whistles. I bought the current F6B because I ride solo and didn't want the throne and trunk on the full Goldwing. However, I want all of the other gadgets. The more the better.

BIGLRY
09-26-2017, 01:00 AM
I'm kind of in 98valk's camp. I want basics I can wrench on and more horse power. I do hope the shape of the faring for the F6B don't change in the knee area as that is one reason I never got a full wing as they are to cramped for me.

Elroy
09-26-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cosmetic similarities of the alleged new wing to the gl1100's. The lines around the side of the fairing and bags look real similar to the 1100's. The new design has a retro feel to it. Or maybe it's just me.

Chas
09-26-2017, 02:30 PM
As long as it still keeps the rider relatively dry while riding in the rain.

More power is always welcome.

Better brakes would be nice. A 6th gear would be really nice.

Looks pretty cool. Would like to see one in person.

+1 on the 6th gear!

motozeke
09-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Yamahonda? Looks like they had some "blue" designers working on that one.

The side cases look like they were pulled off an FJR.

motozeke
09-26-2017, 02:54 PM
...I don't see any crash protection for the engine or side cases. Should be stock for these kinds of bikes, seriously.

Jimmytee
09-26-2017, 02:58 PM
...I don't see any crash protection for the engine or side cases. Should be stock for these kinds of bikes, seriously.

If you look close and at the naked pic featuring the front end , You will see the crash protection. Just not as obvious as the current models.:icon_wink:

motozeke
09-26-2017, 03:40 PM
If you look close and at the naked pic featuring the front end , You will see the crash protection. Just not as obvious as the current models.:icon_wink:

Not so sure about that. I see nothing for the side cases/exhaust at all, and the apparent crash protection for the engine looks more like mounting points, and it would be covered by plastic, and engine parts appear further out than the end of the bars.

Walcrow
09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
You need to look again. Check out the bare bike on page 1. Crash bars under the engine staring you in the face. Check out the images of the B and Wing. Look under the front of the bag. See the "possibly covered in rubber" protrusions. That's the back crash bars. IF these images are close to real, Honda has most likely covered the bars cosmetically. What are you not seeing? The rear crash bars are staring at the folded-up rear passenger floorboards.

Ixol Phaane
09-26-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cosmetic similarities of the alleged new wing to the gl1100's. The lines around the side of the fairing and bags look real similar to the 1100's. The new design has a retro feel to it. Or maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. I had the same thought as I looked at the graphics. I think it's a nice nod to the lineage. :yes:

Ixol Phaane
09-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Hey, here's a thought:

That would be awesome! I'd give that a "Hell, yeah!" :yes:

motozeke
09-26-2017, 07:24 PM
You need to look again. Check out the bare bike on page 1. Crash bars under the engine staring you in the face. Check out the images of the B and Wing. Look under the front of the bag. See the "possibly covered in rubber" protrusions. That's the back crash bars. IF these images are close to real, Honda has most likely covered the bars cosmetically. What are you not seeing? The rear crash bars are staring at the folded-up rear passenger floorboards.

Looking again, I actually think that they are employing skid pucks rather than crash bars. The hard mounting points for the pucks appear to be under the plastic. Clean look!

SpeedyWho
09-27-2017, 09:38 AM

You're correct, crash protection is there. It looks like it's going to be mounted underneath some trim panels but it's there. Also there's no proof these are the pictures of the final production bikes. Although I think they're pretty close to what we'll end up with.

hondatastic
09-27-2017, 08:01 PM
You're correct, crash protection is there. It looks like it's going to be mounted underneath some trim panels but it's there. Also there's no proof these are the pictures of the final production bikes. Although I think they're pretty close to what we'll end up with.

Honda has acknowledged the photos are the real deal (after all--Honda leaked the pics out)

SpeedyWho
09-27-2017, 08:10 PM
It also appears there are other crash bumpers just above the exhaust near the front of the bags. I like how they are more stealth than the current design. And what about the passenger foot pegs to me it looks like food up outta site when not in use.

crawdad
10-03-2017, 03:51 PM
If this is true I'll have one.my 2015 has 31k on it time for a new one.

Kasperwing
10-03-2017, 06:35 PM
I have been reading & enjoying this forum for years. DID not feel a need to join, since I was riding BMW. I have been riding M/C's since 1967. I have owned the 1200 GW, a HD, and most other makes. Stayed with BMW for many years. I am tired of the way BMW does things. Now that I have over 400K, raced amateur for a year, taught M/C safety etc... I have come full circle. My first encounter with a bike was Honda ~ 1967. If the new ones are reasonably priced, I will buy. If not I will be happy with a 2014 ~ 2016 F6B. But seriously, I really want ABS brakes. They can have everything else. BUT ABS saved my hide more times than I can count. More than once, when coming to a stop, at night, there was some thing on the road. I would have gone down if not for ABS.... and I can ride a bike on the front wheel stoppee. But one can not anticipate unknown surface grip, or what might require supreme & accurate stopping abilities! Ask this guy in the video below. He locked his front wheel and went down. He was lucky it was not worse.

But heck yea! The new F6B and GW both look good. The previous F6B looks good too. I would be very proud to own either.

Anyway, nice to be here, love the attitude here and hope to meet some you! Please keep it safe out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2FuTQDChY

Brasco
10-03-2017, 10:04 PM
I have been reading & enjoying this forum for years. DID not feel a need to join, since I was riding BMW . . . . The new F6B and GW both look good. The previous F6B looks good too. I would be very proud to own either. Anyway, nice to be here, love the attitude here and hope to meet some you! Please keep it safe out there!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2FuTQDChY

Welcome Kasperwing! Interesting first (well, I guess second) post . . . hope there will be many more! Keep us posted on what develops with B ownership for you down the road!

Zteve
10-03-2017, 10:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cso0Uib.jpg

Is that a big lipped smiley face? :lolup:

Walcrow
10-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Looks like it's grinning to me :lolup:

Kasperwing
10-04-2017, 06:10 AM
LOOKS AMAZING! I bet it will get a few more MPG! ( less frontal area)!

tiltingf6b
10-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Like SUV's successful platforms start to all look alike.

I would drop some coin on a new F6B if it had all the bells and whistles the BMW K1600B has.

Circle-5
10-04-2017, 02:53 PM
But seriously, I really want ABS brakes. They can have everything else. BUT ABS saved my hide more times than I can count. More than once, when coming to a stop, at night, there was some thing on the road. I would have gone down if not for ABS.... and I can ride a bike on the front wheel stoppee. But one can not anticipate unknown surface grip, or what might require supreme & accurate stopping abilities! Ask this guy in the video below. He locked his front wheel and went down. He was lucky it was not worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2FuTQDChY

I agree 100%. The lack of ABS on heavy motorcycles like the GL-1800 and F6B is nothing short of criminal negligence by American Honda. Every other country in the world includes ABS on all Goldwings and most countries now mandate ABS on any bike over 125cc. American Honda (and only American Honda) puts profits ahead of the safety of its riders. Linked brakes may be nice, but have nothing to do with ABS. This is actually penny-wise and pound-foolish: a single death found to be caused by the lack of ABS on our bikes is likely to wipe away all gains made by such an irresponsible decision, and rightfully so.

Let's hope the moron who was able to allow such an omission is no longer with American Honda and that all new Goldwings and F6Bs will have ABS, beginning with the 2018 model year!

willtill
10-05-2017, 05:12 AM
I agree 100%. The lack of ABS on heavy motorcycles like the GL-1800 and F6B is nothing short of criminal negligence by American Honda. Every other country in the world includes ABS on all Goldwings and most countries now mandate ABS on any bike over 125cc. American Honda (and only American Honda) puts profits ahead of the safety of its riders. Linked brakes may be nice, but have nothing to do with ABS. This is actually penny-wise and pound-foolish: a single death found to be caused by the lack of ABS on our bikes is likely to wipe away all gains made by such an irresponsible decision, and rightfully so.

Let's hope the moron who was able to allow such an omission is no longer with American Honda and that all new Goldwings and F6Bs will have ABS, beginning with the 2018 model year!

Are you a lawyer by any chance? :icon_lol:

53driver
10-05-2017, 08:52 AM
ABS - well, I have a slightly different approach to ABS.
I don't want it.
I consider it a hindrance to threshold braking and a foreign gov't mandated crutch for riders who do not practice with their brakes enough.
The brakes are the MOST important control on a motorcycle and deserving of the most attention & practice.

ABS is a fine feature if your muscle memory and "pucker factor" are not well trained and under control.
People who ride once a month to the beach bar or poker run are prime candidates for ABS.
If you find yourself "anally inhaling your seat cushion" every time you have to get on the brakes with purpose, you need more braking practice.

My $0.02.
Flame retardant suit donned. "fireybat"
Cheers,
Steve

Kasperwing
10-05-2017, 09:05 AM
ABS - well, I have a slightly different approach to ABS.
I don't want it.
I consider it a hindrance to threshold braking and a foreign gov't mandated crutch for riders who do not practice with their brakes enough...............
The brakes are the MOST important control on a motorcycle
ABS is a fine feature if your muscle memory and "pucker factor" are not well trained and under control.
People who ride once a month to the beach bar or poker run are prime ca....................., you need more braking practice.

My $0.02.
Flame retardant suit donned. "fireybat"
Cheers,
Steve

said the man who just went down and says...." wow, it was a a lot more slippery than I expected"

It is clear to me that you have not watched the video where Moto GP guys were saying they were better than ABS.

The course had water, sand , slimy mud etc. They had to approach and hit the brakes at 30mph. the bikes had out riggers. ABS won every time. "BOOOM mic-drop"

On the other hand, I can stop on dry and make the rear end go high high... I am way better than ABS in that venue. On unknown surface at night, right after a rain...not so much. And I also agree the guy in the video may not have practiced braking.... only the shadow knows for sure...

Kasperwing
10-05-2017, 09:09 AM

know where I can find a good one? Because I read the book , " lawyers snakes and other reptiles"... then that is backed up by watching congress flounder.....
What do you think about the efficacy of ABS?

Walcrow
10-05-2017, 09:11 AM
I agree. Never had ABS on the dozens of bikes over 40 years. Not interested. Wonder if Takata made the airbag for the Gold Wing? If so, that recall might be in the mail. Was never interested in a Douche Bag equipped Gold Wing.

crossbowme
10-05-2017, 09:26 AM
I too have ridden/owned dozens of bikes in my driving career (55years) and have always wanted ABS when it was available. That is until I owned the F6B. This machine gives me control I have never had before. One has to wonder if it is worth $1000 and up.

hondatastic
10-05-2017, 09:46 AM
not a fan of ABS myself and I have been riding 41 years----It does appear that ABS becomes standard on the 2018 F6B and GL next year. If it is oh well, looks like I will have ABS :icon_cool:

opas ride
10-05-2017, 10:30 AM
I am not so sure ABS brakes are the "cats-meow" so to speak, but most bikes now have them as the marketers have forced them on the industry...Now we are faced with electric cars and self driving cars being shoved down our throats by those that feel it is the answer to all our problems!!!....Recently, legislators in California are attempting to introduce a bill banning all "Internal Combustion Engines"...Good Luck. but the "Idiots" in that state think they are the only people on earth.....Ride safe

Jhox
10-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Honda has acknowledged the photos are the real deal (after all--Honda leaked the pics out)

Where did you see that Honda acknowledged the pics are the real deal?

Link?

98valk
10-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Don't know what this is, but it looks cool. Wish I could post the pic, but here is the link:

http://www.moto-station.com/actualites/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Honda-F6C-concept-roadster.jpg

I hadn't seen this before. Maybe some of you have.

53driver
10-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Don't know what this is, but it looks cool. Wish I could post the pic, but here is the link:

http://www.moto-station.com/actualites/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Honda-F6C-concept-roadster.jpg

I hadn't seen this before. Maybe some of you have.

F6D????
I think that's an amazing looking bike.
Stripped down F6C.....fast and can lean over.
Lusting.....

willtill
10-05-2017, 12:01 PM
know where I can find a good one? Because I read the book , " lawyers snakes and other reptiles"... then that is backed up by watching congress flounder.....
What do you think about the efficacy of ABS?

Oh... I don't have a dog in this fight. I am comfortable with ABS or not. I was just commenting on our fellow forum member's diatribe against motorcycle manufacturers... :icon_mrgreen:

shortleg0521
10-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Oh... I don't have a dog in this fight. I am comfortable with ABS or not. I was just commenting on our fellow forum member's diatribe against motorcycle manufacturers... :icon_mrgreen:

Think I will start calling you spoon from now on.
That was a very strong stir Sir.

Deerkiller
10-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Motorcycles really should just be outlawed. They’re just so dangerous

hondatastic
10-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Where did you see that Honda acknowledged the pics are the real deal?

Link?

Im working in Bagdad Iraq at the moment and dont have time to dig up all the links info etc but Honda had a press meeting in Europe and leaked the pics to the Dutch which in turn did their bidding by posting on the internet last month (not the first time Honda has done this)
here is a link to one of the most reliable American sources to what happened.
http://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2018-goldwing-f6b-specs-pictures-released-changes-motorcycle-news-touring-bagger-bikes-gl1800

luckyluciano
10-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Now we are faced with electric cars and self driving cars being shoved down our throats by those that feel it is the answer to all our problems!!!....Recently, legislators in California are attempting to introduce a bill banning all "Internal Combustion Engines"...Good Luck. but the "Idiots" in that state think they are the only people on earth.....Ride safe

Many countries are proposing banning the ICE in coming years. Not just California. Take a look at China, India Germany & Denmark.

I drive a P85D tesla after owning many other performance vehicles. I find gas cars slow boring @ outdated now. Never going back to combustion engine.
Never driven an electric bike though....would love to try one.
I think ABS is a good thing but rarely have used it.
Technologies are fantastic. Without them we'd still be hunter gatherers.

druggr
10-05-2017, 02:40 PM
said the man who just went down and says...." wow, it was a a lot more slippery than I expected"

It is clear to me that you have not watched the video where Moto GP guys were saying they were better than ABS.

I agree ... their is no way I can be avoiding an accident while analyzing every 1/4" of my "pavement braking conditions." I've bought 2 new GL1800 and both had ABS. I will never buy one without it.

Kasperwing
10-05-2017, 08:30 PM
I agree ... their is no way I can be avoiding an accident while analyzing every 1/4" of my "pavement braking conditions." I've bought 2 new GL1800 and both had ABS. I will never buy one without it.

Don't get me wrong. I wish I could brake better than ABS all the time. But it has been found that when the road is not dry, things don't always turn out the way we want them to.

I hope this save's a few my friends on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0&t=222

you can google and get many many videos all equally eye opening.

I am only the messenger:039:

willtill
10-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Think I will start calling you spoon from now on.
That was a very strong stir Sir.

:icon_lol:

....but :nono:

Don't call me Sir. I work for a living. :icon_wink:

53driver
10-05-2017, 09:29 PM
http://www.swaymotorsports.com/#tilting-electric-trike

motozeke
10-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Many countries are proposing banning the ICE in coming years. Not just California. Take a look at China, India Germany & Denmark.

I drive a P85D tesla after owning many other performance vehicles. I find gas cars slow boring @ outdated now. Never going back to combustion engine.
Never driven an electric bike though....would love to try one.
I think ABS is a good thing but rarely have used it.
Technologies are fantastic. Without them we'd still be hunter gatherers.

You just copped to a bunch of Trump-voting, gun-toting RealAmericans(TM) that you drive a Tesla. They may ask you to surrender your man card. :nono:

53driver
10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
You just copped to a bunch of Trump-voting, gun-toting RealAmericans(TM) that you drive a Tesla. They may ask you to surrender your man card. :nono:

If I could recover from the 2008 stock crash (thanks Barry) I could afford a Tesla too. :stirthepot:

Circle-5
10-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Haha! Heck no, I'm not a lawyer! But I live in a state (California) that is contaminated with ambulance chasers to such a degree that it increasingly perverts human interaction. Simple tort reform (such as no-fault insurance) could fix a lot of that, but the trial lawyers oppose the proposition every time it is offered.

As for my diatribe, it wasn't against motorcycle manufacturers, and certainly not against Honda. It was only targeted at American Honda (not a manufacturer, except perhaps for the Acura NSX), who imports these motorcycles and, as opposed to all other Honda importers worldwide, doesn't offer ABS on the F6B, not even as an option. That, in my opinion, is irresponsible.

My butt was saved by ABS (on a BMW) and yet, I purchased an F6B without it, after giving up on an import from Canada because of all the hassles. While the F6B has truly excellent stopping power, I never feel as safe without ABS and I wish I had it. I don't think anybody who hasn't actually experienced ABS kicking in to prevent a wheel lock on gravel or some other unexpected surface can truly appreciate what it does. Perhaps I don't have the riding skills that others have, but it's hard to imagine anyone being capable of reacting faster than ABS. So I keep my fingers crossed for the 2018 model year! End of diatribe!:icon_wink:

2wheelsforme
10-06-2017, 04:34 PM
What is wrong with driving a Tesla? It is not like it is a Prius or something weak. Heck a Tesla is Corvette competition and equally good looking.

Davidk
10-06-2017, 05:03 PM
http://www.swaymotorsports.com/#tilting-electric-trike

Very cool , BUT: "At 30 mph, the charge can last for 40 miles on Sway Lithium." I can't even get to town and with that.

F6Pilot
10-06-2017, 05:11 PM
What is wrong with driving a Tesla? It is not like it is a Prius or something weak. Heck a Tesla is Corvette competition and equally good looking.

More like a Corvette killer. Supercars vs an electric 4 door sedan.......

https://electrek.co/2017/09/21/tesla-model-s-p100d-crushes-all-competition-in-motor-trends-world-greatest-drag-race/

motozeke
10-06-2017, 06:05 PM
If I could recover from the 2008 stock crash (thanks Barry) I could afford a Tesla too. :stirthepot:

Well, first: the crash started in 2007, well before the election. Second: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/your-money/the-obama-years-the-best-of-times-to-be-a-stock-investor.html?_r=0

Maybe you shouldn't have sold back in 07-08, you would have done well under Obama. :icon_doh:

Deerkiller
10-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Until a charge can last for more than 200 miles and I can recharge the batteries at roadside stations readily available anywhere in less than 10 minutes, electric vehicles will remain the cute novelty they currently are. And that’s even with all the government subsidies.

willtill
10-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Haha! Heck no, I'm not a lawyer! But I live in a state (California) that is contaminated with ambulance chasers to such a degree that it increasingly perverts human interaction. Simple tort reform (such as no-fault insurance) could fix a lot of that, but the trial lawyers oppose the proposition every time it is offered.

As for my diatribe, it wasn't against motorcycle manufacturers, and certainly not against Honda. It was only targeted at American Honda (not a manufacturer, except perhaps for the Acura NSX), who imports these motorcycles and, as opposed to all other Honda importers worldwide, doesn't offer ABS on the F6B, not even as an option. That, in my opinion, is irresponsible.

My butt was saved by ABS (on a BMW) and yet, I purchased an F6B without it, after giving up on an import from Canada because of all the hassles. While the F6B has truly excellent stopping power, I never feel as safe without ABS and I wish I had it. I don't think anybody who hasn't actually experienced ABS kicking in to prevent a wheel lock on gravel or some other unexpected surface can truly appreciate what it does. Perhaps I don't have the riding skills that others have, but it's hard to imagine anyone being capable of reacting faster than ABS. So I keep my fingers crossed for the 2018 model year! End of diatribe!:icon_wink:

I feel ya! :yes:

I've had MANY a pucker factor moment when squeezing the brakes on a bike... and can still be around to tell about it. :shhh:

Last time I locked up a bike was at Fort Jackson, South Carolina (back in '79)... on one of the range roads where I went into a curve too fast... hit the brakes and locked it up and the last thing I saw was my bike somersaulting through the tree's in front of me. I was right behind it and followed it down the embankment... luckily my friend was behind me... he called the cops and I got transported to the installation hospital with a torn Medial Collateral ligament and other superficial damages... was in a full leg cast for like 6-8 weeks and I broke the cast when I tried to ride my motorcycle again because I wanted to ride... unfortunately my casted leg touched the ground as I was executing a slow left turn and I broke the cast :shock:

So I taped it up with 100mph tape and played it off back at the dispensary when they wanted to know why my cast was broken. :icon_cool:

We ride...because we must :icon_wink:

Kasperwing
10-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Haha! Heck no, I'm not a lawyer! But I live in a state ........ doesn't offer ABS on the F6B, not even as an option. That, in my opinion, is irresponsible.

Well said .... and ya see thats the thing. IF we practice, we brake better. This really holds true if we are practicing on roads with very similar friction co-efficients. But the thing about ABS, is it takes away the stress and worry if you are one of those that is riding and making every effort to know about the road surface so you don't take a spill. That GETS OLD and very tiresome. We also fatigue , we perform better on some days that others etc. As we age our reflexes are not as fast. Street riding offers so many different beautiful views of the world. It is this very plethora of options that makes ABS such a nice tool. One can enjoy the ride. One knows full well should a panic stop be needed, he won't fall... or at least has a much less chance of falling.

Having ABS does not make you less of a MAN or less of a skilled rider. I used ABS for 20+ yrs. Come track time 99% could not beat my lap times ( non abs) . Why, cause I was on a controlled surface with controlled surroundings. I knew what to expect. It is impossible to know what to expect on the street. I learned that after 20+ years and over 200K. Then I learned that I did not know, what I thought I knew. The Next 20+ yrs and 225K miles, were more fun, had less accidents and I could ride with abandon and not have to constant calculate surface friction available.

ShanghaiDan
10-07-2017, 08:18 AM
One thing oft missed in the debate over ABS: it ONLY engages when you've already started to skid. ABS looks at the rotation of all the wheels relative to each other, and sometimes an accelerometer (motion sensor). Only when there is a significant difference (meaning one is locked up) or the wheels say you're stopped and the accelerometer says you're still moving quite well will ABS engage.

ABS does NOT stop your ability to "feather the line" of your own braking abilities!

But it DOES catch you when you go over the line, and something is now skidding when you didn't want it to. Get the wheel back under control and ABS turns off.

ABS is not a "tie you to the trapeze" kind of thing, it's the safety net underneath that catches you when you fall so you can climb back up and try again. If your tires don't skid - ABS will never come on. And yes, I know from personal experience - my bike has ABS. It's engaged a grand total of 2 times in the 40K miles I have on it, but both times were HIGHLY successful - coming around corners with unexpected road debris (sand) all over it, in a corner. Front tired chirped as ABS engaged but I never lost control. ABS allowed me to use every little bit of grip in my tire to save my ass - literally. I could enter a skid (meaning I used up all my available traction) and then immediately, in a matter of a few milliseconds, I was back to having some grip back and no longer skidding.

ABS only engages when you've already failed in your own braking efforts. If you are better than ABS, then no problem - it will never engage! But when you fail - it is there to try to catch you.

Jimmytee
10-07-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm certainly not anti ABS. I welcome it as an addition. However saying it is "Criminal" that it has been omitted in the past? :icon_rolleyes:

Without jinxing myself, let's just say I've been riding on the street since I was 16 and I will be 49 in December. I have never had or needed ABS. That's all I got to say about that. :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

indadman
10-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Perfect thinking. Those kids can make it on their own. Have them go to Mike Rowe's foundation website, and they can get a scholarship for training to become a plumber, mechanic, machinist, or other craft!

shortleg0521
10-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Well, first: the crash started in 2007, well before the election. Second: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/your-money/the-obama-years-the-best-of-times-to-be-a-stock-investor.html?_r=0

Maybe you shouldn't have sold back in 07-08, you would have done well under Obama. :icon_doh:

Clinton said everybody should get a house, so lets give everybody a loan!

53driver
10-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Actually, I didn't sell anything and my retirement investments are doing quite well.
Guess I shouldn't :stirthepot: quite as much....

This retirement gig doesn't suck.:cheers:

motozeke
10-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Actually, I didn't sell anything and my retirement investments are doing quite well.
Guess I shouldn't :stirthepot: quite as much....

This retirement gig doesn't suck.:cheers:

I'll bet it doesn't! Enjoy. :yes:

skippy1969
10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
I like it a LOT!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

F6B1911
10-10-2017, 04:33 PM
I stopped by the local Honda/Yamaha Power sports shop, showed him the PICs, he confirmed that they are the leaked Press Kit pictures, confirmed that there will be a DCT and a manual transmission, but nothing else.
Also said he presold two Yamaha Transcontinental's, and the Eluder would be on the showroom floor by 12/3.
Do I believe him?? I'll just have to wait and see.

opas ride
10-10-2017, 04:42 PM
I stopped by the local Honda/Yamaha Power sports shop, showed him the PICs, he confirmed that they are the leaked Press Kit pictures, confirmed that there will be a DCT and a manual transmission, but nothing else.
Also said he presold two Yamaha Transcontinental's, and the Eluder would be on the showroom floor by 12/3.
Do I believe him?? I'll just have to wait and see.

Sounds to me my friend that a 2018 Honda F6B is in your future as soon as they come out!!!..Regards and ride safe

F6Dave
10-10-2017, 04:57 PM
I received another email from Honda today regarding the new Wing unveiling on 10/24. As with the first one, this linked to a video with several clips of the 'old' F6B, which leads me to believe there will really be a new one. Here's the video link:

https://powersports.honda.com/beyond.aspx?cid=AT8545&spMailingID=17146280&spUserID=MTg2NjQyNTc5MTQyS0&spJobID=1083396397&spReportId=MTA4MzM5NjM5NwS2#hero-history

Blk6bgg6
10-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Its a coming boys ...and girls,already stirring me up.I like what I see and the weight trimming I much anticipate along with other updates.Dang it , better get the k-y jelly ready no matter if trade or sell outright.I'm told h-d at some dealers use price pd. on previous buy of h-d same on trade back to equivalent h-d.Would be nice if honda did that for us but no ain't gonna happen..decisions ,my wife will like hearing this .! Not

98valk
10-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Don't know where this comes from, but here are some more details on the new wing.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/october/2018_goldwing_power_weight_details_infomation

I am surprised at only about 6hp net increase at the wheel. I guess it gets to keep its reliability that way.

doubleh
10-15-2017, 09:05 AM
One thing oft missed in the debate over ABS: it ONLY engages when you've already started to skid. ABS looks at the rotation of all the wheels relative to each other, and sometimes an accelerometer (motion sensor). Only when there is a significant difference (meaning one is locked up) or the wheels say you're stopped and the accelerometer says you're still moving quite well will ABS engage.

ABS does NOT stop your ability to "feather the line" of your own braking abilities!

But it DOES catch you when you go over the line, and something is now skidding when you didn't want it to. Get the wheel back under control and ABS turns off.Great point and my thought exactly!
A lot of people are under the impression ABS brakes work differently when under "normal" braking conditions. ABS brakes only comes into play when going over your braking ability, and locking up the wheels, and that's it. Otherwise they work the same as a bike without ABS.