PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who pull a trailer....

stepbill
09-22-2017, 07:33 PM
What do you carry in your trailer to raise it if you have to change a flat tire? Bottle jacks are fairly heavy, was wondering what others are using.

F6B1911
09-22-2017, 07:39 PM
What do you carry in your trailer to raise it if you have to change a flat tire? Bottle jacks are fairly heavy, was wondering what others are using.

I carry a shipping blanket in my Bushtec, just tip it on it's side. Easiest way to change tires.
Not sure if you can to that with all trailers, but works perfectly with a Bushtec Turbo.

choptop
09-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Also have a Bushtec Turbo, never thought about laying it on it's side, damn a bike and trailer , don't even have to disconnect, just lay both on their si:icon_wink:de ! Seriously I carry a scissors style jack but Bushtec tires are like 6 or 8 ply...

Heatnbeat
09-22-2017, 08:09 PM
I don"t pull a trailer, but couldn't you carry a piece ov plywood maybe 1 1/2" thick. Cut it like a 1/4 pie section with a notch at the point. Prop it under the axle and pull forward just a bit to roll it up?

cueman
09-22-2017, 08:28 PM
on my sidecar bike I just got a 2x4 cut to the proper length with a V notch to fit under axle. easy peasy. :icon_wink: cueman

Heatnbeat
09-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Yeah, something like that.

TandemGeek
09-22-2017, 09:33 PM
We've got 25k miles on our trailer and just put new tires on as we bought the 2003 trailer in 2013 with a whopping 500 miles of use. Was more worried about the age of the tires than wear: these are really tough tires. Not too worried about flats.

https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/trailer.jpg?w=800

Dirtstiff's F6B
09-22-2017, 10:04 PM
My planning is more toward wheel bearings than flats.
Flats are a no brainer.

Love the color of the streetglide by the way.

TandemGeek
09-22-2017, 11:03 PM
My planning is more toward wheel bearings than flats.
Flats are a no brainer.

Love the color of the streetglide by the way.

Yup, gotta watch those bearings. I replaced one early-on and when the Bushtec contractors at Bike Week in PCB changed out the tires they also changed the bearings.

Thanks for the kind words on the color; it's actually a 2013 Road King CVO. No batwing... just a windscreen. :yes:

https://ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/20150905_090251.jpg?W=800

Travelor
09-23-2017, 05:57 AM

Bill - I carry a cheap scissor jack just in case, but also carry the "stop and go" tire plug kit. I pull a CanAm trailer and laying it on its side isn't really an option.
Have fun trailering!
Bill

Heatnbeat
09-23-2017, 06:38 AM
With those tall tires and light load wheel bearings shouldn't be a big problem.
Try pulling a snowmobile trailer with 8 " tires. Highway speed on the 4 lane and the bearings are so hot you can't touch the hubs.

druggr
09-23-2017, 07:22 AM
I too pull a BushTec. My trailer tools consist of 3. An allen wrench to loosen the wheel's center cover allen screws, some sort of pry tool to pry the cover off, and a large crescent wrench to remove the wheel's center nut. Because a BushTec is so light, they are easy to pick up. For jacking, once empty, I just have my GF pickup on the top of the wheel while I slide a large rock or log under the frame to change the tire.

f6bcarider
09-23-2017, 11:04 PM
check camping world website they have a plastic axle jack it is crescent shape it fits under the axle you roll forward and it lifts the trailer hope this helps

Myf6b
09-24-2017, 12:03 PM
If you pull a older bushtec you may want to check and replace helm joint mine broke 3 years ago and totaled my bike and trailer I was lucky walked away from it don’t know how many miles were on it but still had original tires on trailer, bushtec had never heard of that happening

druggr
09-24-2017, 12:08 PM
If you pull a older bushtec you may want to check and replace helm joint mine broke 3 years ago and totaled my bike and trailer I was lucky walked away from it don’t know how many miles were on it but still had original tires on trailer, bushtec had never heard of that happening

Interesting ... are you referring to the helm joint at the hitch ???

TandemGeek
09-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Interesting ... are you revering to the helm joint at the hitch ???

Data point.

Heim joint

Myf6b
09-24-2017, 08:18 PM
That’s the one

druggr
09-25-2017, 01:34 AM
That’s the one

Thanks for the info. I too bought a used BushTech and noticed that the end of my hitch, at the helm joint, is slightly bent. Like the prior owner thought the kick stand was down, but it wasn't, and allowed the tung to hit the ground hard. My intention is to replace it, but will now make it more of a priority. Such subtle damage might have a hairline crack associated to it.

Wow ... once again see a picture regarding what I am talking about would be a nice feature.

lgjhn
09-30-2017, 11:04 PM
I'm like Travelor....I carry a cheap scissors jack.
I went to a junk yard and grabbed one out of an old Dodge Avenger.
Small, lightweight and does the job, if needed.
I also have a Goldwing trike and it works good with it too.

yellow rex
10-01-2017, 12:08 AM
I just carry a tire plug kit, the trailer is self sufficient with a built in compressor, battery and air hose that reaches to the front of the bike
if needed.

Dirtstiff's F6B
10-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I just carry a tire plug kit, the trailer is self sufficient with a built in compressor, battery and air hose that reaches to the front of the bike
if needed.

That's an idea.
I hadn't thought about carrying a small compressor in the trailer.:yes: