PDA

View Full Version : Uff... so unmotivated today!

willtill
09-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I had planned to change my oil/filter, drain my coolant, flush and bleed my clutch fluid today. Have everything I need on hand... and I just became "unmotivated" :shhh:

Planning on pulling off the lower cowl just to get to everything under there a lot easier... and that lower cowl can be a bitch to reinstall. So want to do the aforementioned all at once.

But.. It's such a nice day outside... all I want to do is ride :icon_frown:

Only 15K on the bike at this point... maybe I'll delay until 16K and then do the spark plugs as well. Do everything in one shot... if I can get re-motivated :icon_lol:

Somebody help me.... :039: To ride... or do maintenance all day?

speeddrive1
09-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Get out and ride! Now!

opas ride
09-30-2017, 09:25 AM
I had planned to change my oil/filter, drain my coolant, flush and bleed my clutch fluid today. Have everything I need on hand... and I just became "unmotivated" :shhh:

Planning on pulling off the lower cowl just to get to everything under there a lot easier... and that lower cowl can be a bitch to reinstall. So want to do the aforementioned all at once.

Only 15K on the bike at this point... maybe I'll delay until 16K and then do the spark plugs as well. Do everything in one shot... if I can get re-motivated :icon_lol:

If the weather is decent Ride!!!...You can always do the maint. later when you have worse weather.....Ride safe

2wheelsforme
09-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Go ride, many would say (myself included) the some of the things you are talking about doing would qualify as over maintenance at 15K.

Rickc
09-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Ride !!

Walcrow
09-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Go ride. You can always be a grease monkey at 3am when you can't sleep..............

VStarRider
09-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Go ride, another 100-200 miles won't hurt anything...its a machine, it doesn't monitor the odometer and then put hands on its hips like a spouse...

If it makes you feel better, it is a gorgeous, blue sky/puffy cumulus cloud day here in the mid 50s...and I have six FC of wood to stack...and I am about to turn on episode one of The Vietnam War...wood can wait, so can the drip edge installation on the veranda!!!

I'll take a ride tomorrow.

shortleg0521
09-30-2017, 12:03 PM

You could put the stuff in your saddle bag and ride over here and we could do ours together if you want.

Airborne06
09-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Go ride, another 100-200 miles won't hurt anything...its a machine, it doesn't monitor the odometer and then put hands on its hips like a spouse...

If it makes you feel better, it is a gorgeous, blue sky/puffy cumulus cloud day here in the mid 50s...and I have six FC of wood to stack...and I am about to turn on episode one of The Vietnam War...wood can wait, so can the drip edge installation on the veranda!!!

I'll take a ride tomorrow.

I recorded The Vietnam War series and decided to watch one episode. Big mistake. I ended up watching 6 hours, and I am not even halfway through! Better get some riding in!

53driver
09-30-2017, 01:13 PM
I recorded The Vietnam War series and decided to watch one episode. Big mistake. I ended up watching 6 hours, and I am not even halfway through! Better get some riding in!

My wife is watching that.
Looks informative and I hope it is as truthful about everything as possible.
Cheers,
Steve

BIGLRY
09-30-2017, 02:33 PM
RIDE...you can do maintenance when you are dead!:icon_lol:

willtill
09-30-2017, 04:58 PM
I rode today. It was WONDERFUL. :icon_wink:

Tomorrow maybe I will try to get motivated. But tonight I am motivated for STEAK. :icon_mrgreen:

Built up quite an appetite today while astride my mighty steel steed. :icon_cool:

VStarRider
09-30-2017, 05:59 PM
I rode today. It was WONDERFUL. :icon_wink:

Tomorrow maybe I will try to get motivated. But tonight I am motivated for STEAK. :icon_mrgreen:

Built up quite an appetite today while astride my mighty steel steed. :icon_cool:

Awesome, glad to hear. Maintenance can always wait. They are designed to be ridden, especially this machine, with limited maintenance being part of the ownership deal. It certainly attracted me. As my car and boat mechanic says, "Miles don't hurt 'em!"

Mine is covered in bug splatter right now and I probably should check the air pressure in the tires. I believe there's 5500 miles on the oil change from last fall.

I bet it still goes 100k trouble free miles... :icon_biggrin:

VStarRider
09-30-2017, 06:07 PM

Episode 1 done...it was incredible...I learned so much about the context of what preceded the war that I never knew. Episode 2 just started with the Mrs...

willtill
09-30-2017, 09:17 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/121zn2f.jpg

druggr
10-01-2017, 07:43 AM

If yours has any, or any combination of the following:
- aftermarket center cowl
- aftermarket chrome timing cover
- aftermarket fog lamps

I find it easiest to remove the 2 lower screws in the front center cowl #5, and then remove the right inner cowl #15. Doing those 2 steps first only takes about 2 minutes and can save a bunch of time. If the 2 centers in the upper rivets in the inner cowl do not come out easy, spray them with BrakeClean (red).

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2014/GL1800B+AC/COWL/parts.html

Airborne06
10-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Episode 1 done...it was incredible...I learned so much about the context of what preceded the war that I never knew. Episode 2 just started with the Mrs...

I agree! The series put so many things in context, particularly the internal political machinations in Vietnam and the USA. The series is good, and touches on many aspects of the war, both good and bad, at home and in the AOR. I had to take a mental health break about 3/4 way through though....

Nothing like taking a motorcycle ride for some "cycle-therapy!"

dadeo
10-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Its putting the GD thing back on! I installed the fog lights and a Garmin 590 on Sunday. I discovered 3 things:
1. Fishing wire around this bike is not fun, but neither is removing and reinstalling plastic.
2. The front cowl is a fairly easy to remove, but a PITA to reinstall.
3. Honda QC is not perfect. The lower (-) terminal accessory screw on the fuse holder would not budge. I'd tried to connect the Garmin to the accessary terminals on the fuse holder on the left side. I ended up connecting the GPS directly to the battery. Is there another / better place,. I don't like having the GPS stay on when I turn off the bike.

Old Ryder
10-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Winter is God's way of providing time to polish and repair.

willtill
10-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Got -r- done. :icon_cool:

Coolant drained, refilled and burbed, engine oil and oil filter changed, and bled the clutch with new fluid - no drama there either. :yes:

Remarking about my original clutch fluid, it was dark yellow and hazy looking. Only have 15K on my bike and it’s two years old. Brake fluid sure can get old quick... now have some nice, clear Preston DOT 4 in the clutch’s circuit... and it feels a lot better. :yes:

In a couple of weeks, I shall flush and bleed the brake lines and do the spark plugs.

druggr
10-08-2017, 08:36 AM
2. The front cowl is a fairly easy to remove, but a PITA to reinstall.
3. Honda QC is not perfect. The lower (-) terminal accessory screw on the fuse holder would not budge.

Yes ... putting plastic back on takes considerably longer then taking it off.

Have you tried using a JIS bit to budge the accessory screw ??? If not they will round. In most places, a JIS #2 bit is required on GL1800s.

willtill
10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Yes ... putting plastic back on takes considerably longer then taking it off.

Have you tried using a JIS bit to budge the accessory screw ??? If not they will round. In most places, a JIS #2 bit is required on GL1800s.

JIS screwdrivers are most definitely a necessity if you work on Japanese bikes... :yes: