PDA

View Full Version : Helibars are arriving tomorrow!!!

Av8er
10-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Well I bit the bullet and order helibars last Wednesday. They are arriving tomorrow and I am hoping to have them installed by next weekend to try them out. The only thing that concerns me is getting my heated grips off without damaging them. That can get expensive quick.

53driver
10-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Well I bit the bullet and order helibars last Wednesday. They are arriving tomorrow and I am hoping to have them installed by next weekend to try them out. The only thing that concerns me is getting my heated grips off without damaging them. That can get expensive quick.

Special tool.
Good luck!

Ixol Phaane
10-02-2017, 08:29 PM

53Driver said it... special tool.
It comes in the box with the Helibars. :yes:

Ride safe, amigo.

F6B1911
10-02-2017, 08:37 PM
53Driver said it... special tool.
It comes in the box with the Helibars. :yes:
Ride safe, amigo.

The special tool works perfectly, you provide the patience.

BIGLRY
10-03-2017, 11:08 AM
The special tool works perfectly, you provide the patience.+1

Av8er
10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
The instructions say to turn the grips on to help loosen the glue. Does the bike have to be running for this to happen?

BIGLRY
10-03-2017, 02:29 PM
The instructions say to turn the grips on to help loosen the glue. Does the bike have to be running for this to happen?
NO!

willtill
10-03-2017, 02:30 PM

The heated grips will turn on; with the key in the ON position. However the Helibar instructions say to turn the grips on HIGH. It's best if you start the bike so the alternator is supplying that juice to them... instead of pulling it off the battery exclusively. The battery by itself will realize lost capacity if powering everything exclusively.

Walcrow
10-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Yes......#8 is in red letters. The key must be turned on and the grips need to get HOT before using their clamp tool.

BIGLRY
10-03-2017, 02:49 PM
But it only take a few min to get hot on high and unless your battery is old the time needed to heat them up should not bother a good battery and remember the lights are on too, but there again a good battery will withstand this kind of use for for 5 min easy and once they are hot and you have started the removal process you can turn them off, that is what I did when I did mine.

willtill
10-03-2017, 03:11 PM
But it only take a few min to get hot on high and unless your battery is old the time needed to heat them up should not bother a good battery and remember the lights are on too, but there again a good battery will withstand this kind of use for for 5 min easy and once they are hot and you have started the removal process you can turn them off, that is what I did when I did mine.

Potato -or- Potatoe :shhh:

:icon_lol:

In hindsight... if you have a Battery Tender... I guess it wouldn't matter. :icon_wink:

BIGLRY
10-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Potato -or- Potatoe :shhh:

:icon_lol:

In hindsight... if you have a Battery Tender... I guess it wouldn't matter. :icon_wink:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/4bf4257f46c618c4a33d5800087b19d2/tumblr_n85p7vvQ0d1rqudgzo1_1280.png
:lolup:

Av8er
10-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Well it appears mine will not turn on while the bike isn't runnin. When I turn the key to in the grip light just flashes until I start it.

Av8er
10-07-2017, 11:24 AM
I am installing these while waiting on hurricane Nate to show up. I have it nice and cool in my shop and would rather not open the door to run it and let out all the cool air. I wonder if I can heat it enough with the wife's hair blow dryer?

98valk
10-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Well it appears mine will not turn on while the bike isn't runnin. When I turn the key to in the grip light just flashes until I start it.

I'm surprised that this was missed by the others. The grips definitely will not turn on without the bike running. The controller is watching the battery voltage and waits until the alternator is charging.

Av8er
10-07-2017, 11:57 AM
You think the hair dryer will work?

Edit: Hair dryer works fine!!!

Kasperwing
10-07-2017, 05:17 PM
looking forward to see how you like them.

Av8er
10-07-2017, 07:15 PM
looking forward to see how you like them.

I got them installed and I can tell they are gonna be a major improvement. Can't ride right now because we are in the middle of hurricane Nate but that's ok. I haven't even had a chance to test out the heated grips to see if they still work. I think they will! The tool they supply is nice and easy. It's time consuming getting the one grip off but if it works it's worth it.

I was actually installing a set of Kuryakan ISO grips and my new left grip broke in two places. I was using a zip tie to like the instructions said to bring them together and SNAP!! Now I have to call wingstuff to see what they say. Just my luck!!!!