PDA

View Full Version : Oil Capacity is 5 quarts on our engines.

Phantom
10-25-2013, 12:11 AM
I just discovered that the oil capacity for our engines is 5 quarts.

When changing your oil and filter, only 4 quarts drain out.

If the engine is split open and torn down, the last quart of oil will come out. A dry engine will require 5 quarts.

This means that every time you do an oil change, the motor ends up having 20% of old oil still inside of it.

Interesting bit of information. Regardless of the fact, Honda has designed these engines and created the maintenance schedule with this in mind.

Mustangjake
10-25-2013, 05:56 AM
That is interesting, I wouldn't thought that much would stay in the engine.

Hornblower
10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
That is surprising to me as well. I do believe the manual specifies 3.9 qts. for oil change including filter. So far, I have done 2 oil changes and found that 3.9 qts. barely touches the bottom of the dip stick. For my bike, a full 4 qts. is not over-doing it at all. That is quite convenient since all I do now is pour in all 4 qts. Still, don't be surprised if you find it may even take another one or two tenths of a quart to get the level where you really want it. Thanks for the info, Phantom!

Phantom
10-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Ken,

You are correct, the manual says to fill with 3.9 qts. For years I have been adding 4 quarts and have never worried about it. 3.9 qts has never been enough on my bikes either.

cueman
10-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I think that maybe the extra quart is what is still clinging to the internals of the engine and oil pump. When rebuilding the engine with everything spick&span it would take extra oil to fill.:icon_wink:cueman

Scotrod
10-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Not completely unusual for some oil to remain in the engine with drain plugs removed. Must be quite a few area's in the flat 6 that retain oil, as 20% is a bit on the highside overall.

Wonder how may folks will be putting 5 qt's in after an oil change now. :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I was aware of this and have been..... I also raise the rear tire by putting a 2x8 under the center stand to help with oil drainage....

F6B-RICH
10-26-2013, 07:34 AM
I was aware of this and have been..... I also raise the rear tire by putting a 2x8 under the center stand to help with oil drainage....

Steve since you raise the back up with the 2x8 are you now adding more oil then the 3.9 - 4 quarts ?

MichaelG
10-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Given this subject matter, I just checked my records, as I keep all the maintenance records of all of my vehicles on an Excel spreadsheet, and I found that I have changed the oil and filter a total of 65 times on GL-1800 bikes I have owned or do own, and every time I change the oil...and filter...I simply install 4 quarts of oil. I understand that an engine tear down requires more oil. That makes sense. But by adding 4 quarts of oil at each and every oil and filter change, I have never had a problem of any kind, related to oil, on these GL-1800 engines.

65 oil and filter changes...of which 5 of them have been on this new F6B. :woohoo:

Steve 0080
10-26-2013, 08:35 AM
F6BRICH ------ This will hurt some feelings and start a fire storm.......The short answer is no.... I never check my oil...never saw the need...unless there is a puddle under your bike I assume it is OK. ..... and I have used this method for 40 years! on maybe 35 bikes! This " oil thing " is just something to pass the time for old folks..... Flame Suit On .......

MichaelG
10-26-2013, 08:43 AM
I must concur with the One-Eyed, One Horned, Chromed out Purple People Eater. Once I do an oil and filter change....I do NOT check my oil at any time during the next 5,000 miles, unless, as decribed by Mr.:icon_cool:, there is a puddle under the bike, which has never happened with any of my GL-1800 bikes. I do watch the oil pressure light on bike start-up, and that is it.

Phantom
10-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Once I do an oil and filter change....I do NOT check my oil at any time during the next 5,000 miles

:icon_ditto: ..... the only time that I have heard the need to check the oil on these 1800 engines was when they have more than 200,000 miles, some will burn half a quart between oil changes, which is still nothing to worry about.

Scotrod
10-26-2013, 09:35 AM
No real reason to check if you are familiar with each vehicles individual consumption rate.
I have been known to pull a stick prior to identifying that rate.