PDA

View Full Version : Which Wind Screen to Buy

oldxtreme
10-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Seems like this is a question that is open for debate and there is not a real option to "try before you buy". It appears that many F6B members do the "buy & try" and then "try to sell" more than a few times before they get that "just right feeling".

I would like to buy the right one once but that seems to be the challenge. I have almost 200,000 miles of saddle time on bikes since 1966 and never really gave windscreens the scrutiny that they get by the F6'ers.

Any guidance and recommendations based on road-time experience will be appreciated so I do not end up on the 4-Sale site trying to get rid of screens that didn't work for me.

One thing I have learned from this site is that size matters! Inseams, height, seats, riding companions, vents, eyebrows, etc.

So, here are may stats: 5'10''
30 " inseam
Longer from the belt up
34" arm length
All riding is one-up
Standard seat...for now
Ride sort'a slumped forward rather than a BMW rider posture
Love the sleek look of the F6
Prefer to stay with a minimal screen but want to reduce the wind buffeting and bug feast
Planning on riding from Ohio to CA and back next season

Prefer to buy a $150 screen rather than a $300 screen. BUT, would rather buy one $300 screen than two $150 screens...and then the $300 screen!

Madstand seems to be a "go-to" screen by many that ride two-up but there are so many other options available. Re-curved screens, bagger screens with adjustable height, add-on screen extensions, vents, non-vented, wide screens, tall screens, look-through screens, look-over screens... the options seem to be endless.

By the way, I ride without a helmet unless I am going through Missouri, W. Virginia, CA, and those other states that dictate how I dress when using their roads.

The stock screen works great if you lay on the tank or are 4' tall. When I sit up, the buffeting starts right at eyebrow height. I am guessing that if that screen was 3" taller it might work. That is why I am wondering if a recurve screen is a good workable option for a 0ne-Up rider.

Thanks for any words of wisdom before I pull out my credit card and start collecting wind screens'gw-smiley'

2wheelsforme
10-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Look in the for sale section, you will see many brands listed except for the Mastad. People keep them, many after several tries of other shields which you "will" find listed. It is expensive but might be the best choice, they also offer a buy back if you not satisfied so you only loose shipping. Or as I did, I sent the outer half back for a shorter size and clear color. Go with the 11 inch to start as even a lower shield works well and is easy to see over. I have a klockworks and a stock in storage I might do something with someday. Neither are worth the trouble and expense to ship to someone. Now very happy with the protection offered by the Mastad. I also predict the two piece type they use will be more and more common as more find out about how well they work. You already see a two piece shield on Can Ams and it looks like the early pictures of the new Goldwing is going to use the same technology. Some people don't like the looks of those brackets, I did not much at first but now I do and think it looks futuristic. I also like that the lower short part is black and the upper tall part clear so almost invisible. Just my opinion.

Walcrow
10-05-2017, 01:46 PM
2wheels is right on the button. I've got the Madstad after reading all of the positive reviews. Tried it out. I've not got the time yet to put tons of miles on the B. It did it's job but I've not had the time to dial in the proper angle and height. Then a forum member offered up his Baggershield and I bought it. It's now on the B as of last week and I'll be trying it out soon. I'm still not attracted to the look of the MS but function should reign over form, at least that's what I'm thinking. I'm 5' 11" also and 31" inseam and have the 11" lightly tinted top MS screen. It's plenty for me so far. I see over it at the lowest and through it at the highest. Wish there was a remote control for angle and height, especially the angle. They tout the angle as being the key feature, IMO. Plenty of bikes with height adjustments out there. If the Baggershield works FOR ME, I'll be selling the MS. Look back at Drive Jehu's B, and he went from Georgia to Alaska and back with the optional vented windshield offered by Honda for the B. They can be had for about $168 online. I've got more questions than answers like yourself. There needs to be a windshield store like a shoe store :yikes:......might start up another new business :stirthepot:

DMAGOLDRDR
10-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I will put it to you this way.

In the first year of owning my F6B I went thru

Honda Tall shield ... sold
Clearview ....returned
Stock for Gold Wing, drilled to fit the F6B .... still have in the garage somewhere
Slipstream for Gold Wing, drilled to fit the F6B .... still have in the garage somewhere

Madstad still on the bike after 3 years

seventwenty
10-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Check with some area Honda dealers. Klockwerks offers the dealers "test" shields that they will install and let you try them. I'm not of the function over looks group. I am trying to find a happy medium and the MS just doesn't do it fm looking at pics. If I could see 1 in person I may change my mind. I ran a 13" Cee Bailey that worked really well, I'm 6'1 and 34" but it was light tint and just made the bike look too much like a full Wing. I currently have a (14") Klockwerks that has been cut to 11 1/2". I purchased it fm a mbr here not knowing it had been cut down but it looks great and is still better than stock. The wind catches me about eye level and I think a full 14 or even 16 would be ideal. Like you, I don't want to drop $300 without trying first.

In short, anything over 13" should work. Taka makes a recurve that sells for around $100 that I've considered. Somebody else makes a recurve that is 4" wider than the Kw, but I don't recall who. There are just too many other farkles to choose from that it makes for a head scratcher on priorities. :icon_frown:

soupbean
10-06-2017, 04:52 AM
Well , after much research I bought a F-4 Customs 16" clear with Honda vent installed. Perfect for me. Great wind, weather & bug protection. If you're going cross country I'd call and talk to the owner. Maybe get a full touring ( tall ) F-4 Customs. They're pricy, but I'm like you, really wanted to do this just once. Crystal clear, will not scratch. Still looks brand new.

98valk
10-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Here is my 2 cents.

From years of reading here about windshields, the consensus is that if you want to look over the shield, the madstad is the way to go.

If you want real wind protection, and since you do not wear a helmet, I think you should get one that you look through.

One of my shields is a Light tint Tulsa Tall that I have cut down to a reasonable height. It is what I use for cross country riding. It is only about $140.

The rest of the time I use a 16" Clearview that I have added a mini madstad shield to. Without the mini madstad, the clearview is annoying at freeway speeds without a helmet.

I'll try a pic for fun. New server, maybe it will work: Never mind - still no worky. :icon_frown:

jmdaniel
10-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Long Ride Shields has a great sale going on their Taka windshield right now, pick one up for < $100.

https://longrideshields.com/collections/taka-for-honda/products/taka-s-for-honda-gold-wing-f6b?variant=29849645769

I got the 14" this year, and am 6', with a 30" inseam, and I also have a Mustang seat that sits me 1" lower than stock. Reading your stats, and with the stock seat, I would suggest going with a 12" or 13" shield. If I was to order it again, I'd order the light tint, not the dark. The dark looks cooler, but it's pretty dark.

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-07-2017, 10:40 PM
I traded my F6B for a K1600B but still have my 2 favorite screens for sale: SlipSteamer in clear and opaque OEM screen for summer. I am your size and liked both screens for different seasons. You can have them both for $150 plus shipping. My K1600B now runs 2 screens: opaque shorty for summer and taller clear one for winter --this combination is perfect for all year riding likevwe have in NorCal.

Av8er
10-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Do yourself a favor and just buy the mad stad. That's what you will end up with any way. I love mine and there are many others that will say the same. Pricey but worth it.

2wheelsforme
10-15-2017, 07:06 PM
You do not want to look through a shield. Look here: https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/the-buyers-guide-to-motorcycle-windshields

Fingerz
10-15-2017, 07:21 PM
I really like my Klockwerks 14 inch screen. I have no complaints when riding solo and together. I'm able to actually hear the stock radio now too. I could have been gone with a 16 inch at 5'10. I did lots of research and didn't want to buy several windshields before deciding on one. Good luck in your search.

2wheelsforme
10-15-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm much taller than you at 6' 2" but the 16 Klockwerks that was on my bike is in the spare parts pile now along with the stock mini piece of plastic. Maybe I should bolt them together and make my own two piece shield. Yep!

Az Wingrider
10-15-2017, 08:24 PM
I ride with a "Windbender". I had the same windscreen on my previous bike, a full Goldwing. Mine is dark smoked. I like its adjust-ability and the lamineer lip that allows you to ride with it low enough to look over it but still deflects the wind turbulence over your head.

I am sure there are a lot of windscreens out there that work quite well. I had experience with a Windbender and enjoyed it so I bought one for this bike

Good luck

Rickj53
11-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Anyone use the V Stream Windscreen? Size? Thoughts?

TandemGeek
11-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Yes, I have the N20016. I'm 5'8" and the wind hits me just above the eyes. If I used the F6B for trips I would have probably gone with the N20017 for more protection at freeway speeds.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/n20016.html

https://i1.wp.com/ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/20170909_144327.jpg?w=600

https://i1.wp.com/ridingtwoup.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/20170908_210755-e1505163586176.jpg?w=600

willtill
11-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Anyone use the V Stream Windscreen? Size? Thoughts?

Look here:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?11356-National-Cycle-VStream-GL1800-windshield-for-sale&highlight=Vstream+windshield

Wavalk
11-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Madstad has a cyber monday sale today. $40.00 dollars off. Still a pricey shield, but I pulled the plug. I'm not too crazy about the look, but have heard nothing but positive reviews on its performance.

edgeman55
11-27-2017, 01:14 PM
I too pulled the trigger for a MadStad today.With the 15% off sale it basically got me free shipping.Went for the 15 light grey and look forward to seeing if works as well as said by many here.I have been running a 19" Baggershield with vent for the last three years and while happy with it and the baker handwings I still get some buffeting at higher speeds and hope the MadStad will get rid of that.Had put this off because of the looks which I still find unappealing but I am sure I will accept that if it works as advertised.

dustytrader
11-28-2017, 09:20 AM
That's the same size I want to get. Let me know how it works for you. I also have a 19" shield I'm running now and seem to have the same issue as you.

I too pulled the trigger for a MadStad today.With the 15% off sale it basically got me free shipping.Went for the 15 light grey and look forward to seeing if works as well as said by many here.I have been running a 19" Baggershield with vent for the last three years and while happy with it and the baker handwings I still get some buffeting at higher speeds and hope the MadStad will get rid of that.Had put this off because of the looks which I still find unappealing but I am sure I will accept that if it works as advertised.

edgeman55
11-29-2017, 03:07 PM
That's the same size I want to get. Let me know how it works for you. I also have a 19" shield I'm running now and seem to have the same issue as you.

I will post my feelings on how it works as soon as I get it and mounted.Per there site they average 5 days to make and another week to ship to me I hope to have it in two weeks.Weather here in Northern Nevada has been mild but changing quickly.With luck I can get a decent test ride in before the white crap hits.

rdeady
12-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Tryed several also. Keeping madstad. Is it perfect? Nope. You get some wind in the face although its light but what you dont get is your head rattled from wind wrapping around from behind . Best sheild ive ever tryed. Like i said its not perfect but for me its better then the others

crossbowme
12-07-2017, 09:27 PM
I have been the whole route. When I bought the bike I had them put the tall Honda windscreen in with the air vent. Did a 2000 mile trip with it and buffeting beat the hell out me. So, I bought the tall Clearview with vent and the recurve. Exactly the same problem. Now I bought a tall Baggershield with vent. That seems to have done it but the bike is up for the winter and I haven't taken it on a long trip yet.

I know it's not my helmet, a Shoei X-14. It is a very slippery helmet and I have used it on other bikes satisfactory.

edgeman55
12-10-2017, 06:27 PM
As promised a follow up on my 15" Madstad.I got it Saturday afternoon and a hour later had it installed.Great instructions and all went together perfectly.Now I am 6'4" but have a short inseam of 32" so I have a lot of torso height.With the 15" screen set at the highest position I look just over the top of it with a stock seat.I set the screen at 60 degrees to start and went for a short ride as it was 33 degrees when I left.All I can say is WOW.My 3 year old 19"Baggershield gave me buffeting around my head and a little less if I opened the vent(but that sucked in cold conditions).Well that short ride with the Madstad let me know how much buffeting I had been putting up with.Very little if any was felt it almost felt quiet in the cockpit.I may experiment with different settings next week but really don't know how it could get better then what I experienced on that short ride.Still have to get use to the look but I will get over that quickly because of how well it performs.:yes: Highly recommend this product and wish I had done it years ago.

edgeman55
12-11-2017, 03:25 PM
As promised a follow up on my 15" Madstad.I got it Saturday afternoon and a hour later had it installed.Great instructions and all went together perfectly.Now I am 6'4" but have a short inseam of 32" so I have a lot of torso height.With the 15" screen set at the highest position I look just over the top of it with a stock seat.I set the screen at 60 degrees to start and went for a short ride as it was 33 degrees when I left.All I can say is WOW.My 3 year old 19"Baggershield gave me buffeting around my head and a little less if I opened the vent(but that sucked in cold conditions).Well that short ride with the Madstad let me know how much buffeting I had been putting up with.Very little if any was felt it almost felt quiet in the cockpit.I may experiment with different settings next week but really don't know how it could get better then what I experienced on that short ride.Still have to get use to the look but I will get over that quickly because of how well it performs.:yes: Highly recommend this product and wish I had done it years ago.

Little edit as I must of had a senior moment.I said I set screen on the highest position-it's really set on the lowest position.On the highest position I would be looking thru it not over the top.Nice thing is when I get a new saddle made and it raises me a couple of inches I can raise the screen.

crossbowme
12-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Just received my new Baggershield. I haven't install it yet but it looks like it will do what I want.

willtill
12-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Little edit as I must of had a senior moment.I said I set screen on the highest position-it's really set on the lowest position.On the highest position I would be looking thru it not over the top.Nice thing is when I get a new saddle made and it raises me a couple of inches I can raise the screen.

How does it work for you at the highest setting when you are looking through it? Is the mild buffeting that you described completely gone at that point?

choptop
12-11-2017, 06:25 PM
I went threw the same dilemma and ended up buying the Madstad, took a while to get used to the look but I think it is a natural look for the B, am happy w/it's performance. Just my .02 .

Joflewbyu2
12-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Can very well be the helmet turbulence. That Shoei X-14 is not a touring helmet designed for a upward posture. It is a race helmet designed to be tucked and angled down. Hence why the ventilation is better tucked. Shoei does make a touring helmet designed for a more upward rider position called "Qwest". A world of difference just from the design and intended rider.

I have been the whole route. When I bought the bike I had them put the tall Honda windscreen in with the air vent. Did a 2000 mile trip with it and buffeting beat the hell out me. So, I bought the tall Clearview with vent and the recurve. Exactly the same problem. Now I bought a tall Baggershield with vent. That seems to have done it but the bike is up for the winter and I haven't taken it on a long trip yet.

I know it's not my helmet, a Shoei X-14. It is a very slippery helmet and I have used it on other bikes satisfactory.

dustytrader
12-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Great review! Does the 15" Madstad (in lowest setting) have about the same height as the 19" baggershield...as far as line of vision while sitting in the saddle? I have a 19 inch slip streamer now and just look over it. I'm 6'3 and don't want to be looking half through and half over, so I might go with the 13inch as long as I have 2-3 inches to adjust it up.

2wheelsforme
12-12-2017, 11:51 AM
You can look well over the shield and still not experience turbulence, the two piece works that well. At 6'2" I have a 13 adjusted in the middle but notice little difference at any setting. I tried the 17 at first and it was much too tall to see over. You can do an exchange for shipping cost on the outer shield so it is not much. I bet you could use the 13 or 15 at 6'3".

edgeman55
12-12-2017, 02:02 PM
How does it work for you at the highest setting when you are looking through it? Is the mild buffeting that you described completely gone at that point?

Never set it to the highest setting as I hate looking through it.I adjusted the top screen back about another 3 degrees and buffeting is even better.So little that I will live with these settings for now.Nice thing is you can make a lot of adjustments to fit your needs.

edgeman55
12-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Great review! Does the 15" Madstad (in lowest setting) have about the same height as the 19" baggershield...as far as line of vision while sitting in the saddle? I have a 19 inch slip streamer now and just look over it. I'm 6'3 and don't want to be looking half through and half over, so I might go with the 13inch as long as I have 2-3 inches to adjust it up.

Might be a hair higher then the 19" Baggershield but I still see over the top of it.13 or 15 will work for you.Remember I have a lot of torso height and I am at the lowest setting on the 15" with the stock saddle.I am staying with the 15" as in the spring I will be riding in to get a RDL saddle made for me and would like to raise it 2" or so from the stock saddle height so I will be able to raise the 15" up to fit my new riding height.Bottom line is in 45 plus years of riding tour style bikes with most being Goldwings this is by far the best performing windscreen I have ever been behind.

dustytrader
12-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the write up and responses

Might be a hair higher then the 19" Baggershield but I still see over the top of it.13 or 15 will work for you.Remember I have a lot of torso height and I am at the lowest setting on the 15" with the stock saddle.I am staying with the 15" as in the spring I will be riding in to get a RDL saddle made for me and would like to raise it 2" or so from the stock saddle height so I will be able to raise the 15" up to fit my new riding height.Bottom line is in 45 plus years of riding tour style bikes with most being Goldwings this is by far the best performing windscreen I have ever been behind.

keller123
12-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Tryed several also. Keeping madstad. Is it perfect? Nope. You get some wind in the face although its light but what you dont get is your head rattled from wind wrapping around from behind . Best sheild ive ever tryed. Like i said its not perfect but for me its better then the others

Can you give me some of your stats? height, inseam, size shield you ordered. Seems you are only one mentioning wind in face. thanks.

keller123
12-17-2017, 08:49 AM

So i too have a baggershield but its the convertible deal, tried medium clockwerks, sent back, JUST got the 16 in sport touring, recurve, no help for buffeting and maybe worse the baggershield, sending back today. Looks like many i am sending up the white flag for the MS. I am looking for a shield that not only reduces buffeting....well can we talk about that? does everyone who says buffeting mean the wind that the shield is not deflecting period, or is buffeting dirty air, turbulent air, that bounces your head from side to side. The air I am getting from the 19inch bagger shield seams to be pretty clean, unless i am highway with semis in front of me, or hotter day with a lot of heat rising off the pavement...then i am getting bounced around pretty good. Anyway I am 6 foot with at 33 inseam. When i go under the full face helmet the wind is hitting the top third of my helmet causing a lot of wind noise in helmet. So...I want to take that away and I want my wife more comfortable on the back. She is having to lean forward right now at highway speeds because her wind is twice what I feel at a normal sitting position. I am very cool with adjusting and looking thru the shield when she is on back. Someone said on this thread that the adjustments really dont change the air flow? which seems odd... I am nervous to go with the 13 but sounds like I may be looking thru the 15 at lowest position? please let me know how your passenger likes your 15, and any other comments on above. If you were 2 inches shorter, do you think you would be looking thru the 15 at the lowest level, even if you straightened your back a little more? thanks on all!!!

keller123
12-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Madstad has a cyber monday sale today. $40.00 dollars off. Still a pricey shield, but I pulled the plug. I'm not too crazy about the look, but have heard nothing but positive reviews on its performance.

can you give me some stats on you and which MS you ordered, and let us know what you think? thanks!!

keller123
12-17-2017, 10:04 AM
any other MS passenger reviews much appreciated!! :icon_lol:

olegoat345
12-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Ask 20 people, you'll get 20 different answers Happens with, windshield, oil, filters & tires.

crossbowme
12-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Can very well be the helmet turbulence. That Shoei X-14 is not a touring helmet designed for a upward posture. It is a race helmet designed to be tucked and angled down. Hence why the ventilation is better tucked. Shoei does make a touring helmet designed for a more upward rider position called "Qwest". A world of difference just from the design and intended rider.

Unfortunately I also have a Qwest but the same result. BTW I sometimes ride a naked bike (my 1975 GL100) and don't have any buffeting at all.

Audiochris90
12-17-2017, 06:05 PM
At your height a klockwerks 16 would be the ticket if you cant handle the madstad looks. I saw 53 drivers up close and the madstad really wasn't that bad. But I'm so dammed pretty, 6'1 with an ultimate king which adds an inch up I went klockwerks 16. I liked the idea of makeking it adjustable like a clearview shield. so I bought the klock 16 Goldwing version, not f6b to get the vent and some oem hardware to get it to work. all I needed was 3 oval metal inserts and it bolts up . then I drilled holes for a high position. the low is about 16 plus one which is perfect for me . I was visor up all the way to perdido key from okc. met up with 53driver for a few beers back in 2016.https://i.imgur.com/txV9oha.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Pm15xab.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/DROYGHO.jpg

at

edgeman55
12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
So i too have a baggershield but its the convertible deal, tried medium clockwerks, sent back, JUST got the 16 in sport touring, recurve, no help for buffeting and maybe worse the baggershield, sending back today. Looks like many i am sending up the white flag for the MS. I am looking for a shield that not only reduces buffeting....well can we talk about that? does everyone who says buffeting mean the wind that the shield is not deflecting period, or is buffeting dirty air, turbulent air, that bounces your head from side to side. The air I am getting from the 19inch bagger shield seams to be pretty clean, unless i am highway with semis in front of me, or hotter day with a lot of heat rising off the pavement...then i am getting bounced around pretty good. Anyway I am 6 foot with at 33 inseam. When i go under the full face helmet the wind is hitting the top third of my helmet causing a lot of wind noise in helmet. So...I want to take that away and I want my wife more comfortable on the back. She is having to lean forward right now at highway speeds because her wind is twice what I feel at a normal sitting position. I am very cool with adjusting and looking thru the shield when she is on back. Someone said on this thread that the adjustments really dont change the air flow? which seems odd... I am nervous to go with the 13 but sounds like I may be looking thru the 15 at lowest position? please let me know how your passenger likes your 15, and any other comments on above. If you were 2 inches shorter, do you think you would be looking thru the 15 at the lowest level, even if you straightened your back a little more? thanks on all!!!

When I say buffeting for me it did not knock my head around with the Baggershield it was more wind noise into the 3/4 face helmet I use.I lived with it for 3 Years but now that I have the Madstad I feel very little air noise in my helmet.Have not done many adjustments as the weather here has been in the low 30's since I installed it and have not rode much.Can't tell you about how a passenger likes it as my wife quit riding with me years ago-Solo for me now.As I said before at 6'4" with a 32" inseam I am all torso height and I look just over the 15" Madstad in the lowest position so I think the 13" would work well for you.I also have the Baker hand wings which seem to help also and are nice to be able to turn in for more air flow when needed.Hope this helps.

keller123
12-17-2017, 10:14 PM
When I say buffeting for me it did not knock my head around with the Baggershield it was more wind noise into the 3/4 face helmet I use.I lived with it for 3 Years but now that I have the Madstad I feel very little air noise in my helmet.Have not done many adjustments as the weather here has been in the low 30's since I installed it and have not rode much.Can't tell you about how a passenger likes it as my wife quit riding with me years ago-Solo for me now.As I said before at 6'4" with a 32" inseam I am all torso height and I look just over the 15" Madstad in the lowest position so I think the 13" would work well for you.I also have the Baker hand wings which seem to help also and are nice to be able to turn in for more air flow when needed.Hope this helps.

thanks on all sir! much appreciated.

ckwizard
12-18-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm running a Sliptreamer with the vent and love it.
No buffeting at all.
I looked at the Madstad but just cant accept the looks of it.

keller123
12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm running a Sliptreamer with the vent and love it.
No buffeting at all.
I looked at the Madstad but just cant accept the looks of it.

pretty much what i said when someone first mentioned the MS. cant beat em....joinem. everyone that has one ....almost everyone raves about them. will take a little less looks to get rid of the wind noise, went ahead and ordered the 15 inch today after 20 min on the phone with Larry in customer service. medium gray. I am hoping like others , the looks will grow on me.

edgeman55
12-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Looks are what held me back for 2 years but I think it looks better in person then in the pics I would see.Ugly or not I would not go back to a typical type windshield after riding behind the Madstad.

oiler
12-19-2017, 09:37 PM
The Madstad shield suits the bike...makes it look tough and it works. All these other shields that are tall, have vents, curves etc.. make the bike look like a big scooter. My 2 cents but to each is own.

keller123
12-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Looks are what held me back for 2 years but I think it looks better in person then in the pics I would see.Ugly or not I would not go back to a typical type windshield after riding behind the Madstad.

Yep you are the one that pushed me over the edge to get!! I went ahead and went with the 15 after long conversation...just to make sure i can jack it up high enough to get the wifey more comfy. Hope I can see over, Larry felt i had a good shot, can always send back...damn, I could have about paid for a new shield with all the return shipping charges on failed shields! The cool thing is, they must have had one made, as I am getting it tomorrow after ordering on Sunday! I guess that could be a good or bad thing, LOL!!:icon_biggrin:

Joflewbyu2
12-20-2017, 07:11 AM
I have the Goldwing tall with vent. I am 5'11" with 32" inseam and 34/35 sleeve. My seat is a Mustang Tripper which seats the rider 1" lower and back. I am pleased. No buffeting nor drama at highway speed and the vent adds adjustability for different temperatures and speed.

I did did try the bike without a shield and that was a joke. Couldn't ride much faster than 40 mph without gusts ​and wind noise.

I also have a 4.5mm Polycarbonate VStream Windscreen N20012A (with vent opening) that will fit the 2001-14 GL1800 that came on the bike when I bought it. That windscreen is ~22" tall and 26" wide. Gave ultimate protection but I did not like the look. Original Price was $229 and willing to sell for $100 plus shipping or pickup in SW FL.

dustytrader
12-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Let us know if you can see over it

Yep you are the one that pushed me over the edge to get!! I went ahead and went with the 15 after long conversation...just to make sure i can jack it up high enough to get the wifey more comfy. Hope I can see over, Larry felt i had a good shot, can always send back...damn, I could have about paid for a new shield with all the return shipping charges on failed shields! The cool thing is, they must have had one made, as I am getting it tomorrow after ordering on Sunday! I guess that could be a good or bad thing, LOL!!:icon_biggrin:

jm21ddd15
12-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Some buffeting can also come from the type helmet being worn. I have 6 helmets, 1/2 type, 3/4 type, 2 differnt full face, a modular, and an adventure style. Each one reacts slightly different with regards to "buffeting", on the same bike at identical speeds. Pick out your favorite helmet, and find a shield that works well, with it. JMO

keller123
12-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Let us know if you can see over it

My you tube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vmqHGPvorQ&t=235s

edgeman55
12-22-2017, 03:30 PM
My you tube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vmqHGPvorQ&t=235s

Watched your review and I am happy to hear you found the Madstad performs as well as my experience.A lot of riders like me put off trying the Madstad because of the looks but like you have found it really does look better in person and kind of compliments the F6B look.Looks aside who cares as it does the job it was made for so dang well.Can't hardly wait till spring so I can start putting a lot of miles behind it.

six2go
12-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Well, I'm about 5'7 1/2" tall with an inseam of 28". I have played the windshield game too and have decided at this point, the Clear View "short" in the lowest setting works well for me. I have both models of Clear View, both are the same height. I think I like the Sport best as it gives a more breezy feeling. I keep reading all the glowing reviews of the Madstad and might just have to give one a shot. Probably wouldn't lose much if I decided it wasn't for me.

keller123
12-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Well, I'm about 5'7 1/2" tall with an inseam of 28". I have played the windshield game too and have decided at this point, the Clear View "short" in the lowest setting works well for me. I have both models of Clear View, both are the same height. I think I like the Sport best as it gives a more breezy feeling. I keep reading all the glowing reviews of the Madstad and might just have to give one a shot. Probably wouldn't lose much if I decided it wasn't for me.

Yep, you got to give it a try!!:yes:26050

keller123
12-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Watched your review and I am happy to hear you found the Madstad performs as well as my experience.A lot of riders like me put off trying the Madstad because of the looks but like you have found it really does look better in person and kind of compliments the F6B look.Looks aside who cares as it does the job it was made for so dang well.Can't hardly wait till spring so I can start putting a lot of miles behind it.

You are not kidding it compliments it! hope these pics upload ok. I found my sweet spot for sure, it is with the shield all the way down, 15 inch here, I can see about 60 feet in front of me which is perfect. I forgot to mention I have a slightly hunched, NO board down my back, riding style and the low position with it all the way back to 65 degrees actually is perfect. I had her out for a 3 hour ride today trying different positions. When i put that thing all the way up at about 60 degrees, the back draft was pushing my head forward pretty good! If I go that high again, I am definately putting it all the way back at 65 degrees...best thing about this shield is options!! 26042260412604426045[ATTA26048260492604726047

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Some buffeting can also come from the type helmet being worn. I have 6 helmets, 1/2 type, 3/4 type, 2 differnt full face, a modular, and an adventure style. Each one reacts slightly different with regards to "buffeting", on the same bike at identical speeds. Pick out your favorite helmet, and find a shield that works well, with it. JMO

+1 - Same with my assorted helmets.
19" Baggershield-
3/4 - Unnoticeable to very little turbulence
1/2 - Noticeable
Full Face Arai - Very noticeable, tolerable

No turbulence - buffetting from any helmet with the 22" Baggershield quick extension up.

Jim

keller123
12-23-2017, 01:53 PM

Yes, did you see where i experienced some back draft pushing head forward at the higher level? have you spend anytime 30 or more min at 80mph and experienced any of that?

edgeman55
12-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes, did you see where i experienced some back draft pushing head forward at the higher level? have you spend anytime 30 or more min at 80mph and experienced any of that?

I did about 120 miles yesterday with speeds from 75 to 80.I have it at the lowest setting and at 60 degrees and I experience no back draft and very little wind noise and very little if any head buffeting.I like looking over the top so I never tried a setting to look through it.I also have the Baker handwings which may help some with a back draft.The Bakers made a big difference when I had the 19" Baggershield so I can only assume they help with the Madstad.Plus not having a vent on the Madstad I feel the bakers will be nice in the warmer weather as they can be rotated to direct air at me.

keller123
12-23-2017, 07:30 PM
I did about 120 miles yesterday with speeds from 75 to 80.I have it at the lowest setting and at 60 degrees and I experience no back draft and very little wind noise and very little if any head buffeting.I like looking over the top so I never tried a setting to look through it.I also have the Baker handwings which may help some with a back draft.The Bakers made a big difference when I had the 19" Baggershield so I can only assume they help with the Madstad.Plus not having a vent on the Madstad I feel the bakers will be nice in the warmer weather as they can be rotated to direct air at me.

Yep, keep forgetting you have the handwings, I am really going to have to look at those for summer because you are correct, they really will come in handy in the summer as this shield does take out most of the wind, and 95% of the buffeting. I had a pair on my GL 1800 and they seemed to give you the most bang for your buck on air divergence, much more than the double stack on the fairing did..I lowered shield to lowest setting today and put at 65 degrees, all the way towards me, and that seems to really take out the draft buy about 80%. I may try to put back to 60 at lowest and see if i can too eliminate it...I think that is what i started out with come to think of it on first ride, and do not recall the back draft...and you saw how excited I was in the video about first trial!! LOL.

keller123
12-23-2017, 09:46 PM

So did some hand wing shopping and it can never be easy! Now they have first and second generations. Which ones do you think you have? second gen look smaller. God I am bugging the s...out of you...sorry.

willtill
12-24-2017, 07:26 AM
So did some hand wing shopping and it can never be easy! Now they have first and second generations. Which ones do you think you have? second gen look smaller. God I am bugging the s...out of you...sorry.

I have the dark smoke second generation Baker Hand Wings...just git them. Don't agonize over it :icon_lol:

keller123
12-24-2017, 11:03 AM
I have the dark smoke second generation Baker Hand Wings...just git them. Don't agonize over it :icon_lol:

LOL, they had some on ebay for 42 bucks so i went for it. description said the smoke, darkest, but the pic looked like light tint, they will either match the bottom of shield or top!

edgeman55
12-24-2017, 03:47 PM
I have had mine on for three years and really don't know what generation they are.They are as dark as the lower Madstad part of the windscreen.No bother on Questions here that is what this site is all about.I think you will find they help a lot and add to the Badass Madstad look:yes:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-25-2017, 06:36 PM
+1 - Same with my assorted helmets.
19" Baggershield-
3/4 - Unnoticeable to very little turbulence
1/2 - Noticeable
Full Face Arai - Very noticeable, tolerable

No turbulence - buffetting from any helmet with the 22" Baggershield quick extension up.

Jim

Sorry,
It seems I embellished the size of my...wind shield a bit, in my previous post.
I have the 11'' - 19" Baggershield.:icon_redface:

Happy Holiday
Jim

keller123
12-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Sorry,
It seems I embellished the size of my...wind shield a bit, in my previous post.
I have the 11'' - 19" Baggershield.:icon_redface:

Happy Holiday
Jim

Yep, if that is the one with the smoke bottom, that is the one that i have been trying to find a replacement for. How tall are you? I can see that being a fine screen, one up, for 5 8" and below. At 6 feet in my normal, kind of slumped position, top third of my helmet getting hit with wind, passsenger miserable. Pretty annoying at about any speed but at 80mph on the wrong day, wrong meaning any wind, any semis 1/4 mile and closer ahead of me, summer days with heat turb up from the ground. MADstad, 95% of it all gone with 15 inch, top setting, 57 degrees. I love being able to do 80 now in modular helmet mode!! 19 inch bagger, in modular mode, literally dangerous at that speed. And my helmet made this God awful sound, thought it was broke, turned out, just toooooo much wind. This shield has made my cheap HAwk a totally awesome helmet!! I will never have anything else on my wings again. SOLD!! wow and talk about less back draft. Sometimes i like kicking my feet back on passenger pegs and leaning completely forward behind screen and go into sport mode i call it...yeah, kind of funny when i pass someone doing `110 as i am sure they are giggling when they see my position, but i like to adjust back position on long trips...bagger shield, back draft litterally pushed my whole body down, to the point of being a little unsafe position...madstad...ZERO DOWN PRESSURE,,,COMPLETELY SAFE AND COMFY. Try a madstad you will be sold!! again, if you only ride one up at 5 8;" under, you are prob good to go!

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Great! Glad to hear you found a sweet spot with your helmet & MS shield.

I'm 6.1, ride two up about half the time. Bagger works for us.

I just cannot get beyond the mechanical look of the MS.
No jab intended. To each their own.

Jim

keller123
12-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Great! Glad to hear you found a sweet spot with your helmet & MS shield.

I'm 6.1, ride two up about half the time. Bagger works for us.

I just cannot get beyond the mechanical look of the MS.
No jab intended. To each their own.

Jim

No jab taken Jim, I felt the same way when I first saw one on line. and actually I feel you are about dead on on your helmet assesment, half, three quarters, etc. It was the full face that became intolerable for me, especially when i went modular......It was so much wind in modular it was rattling my smoke visor around or something and was even adding to the wind noise. I could not go above 40 modular. The bottom line, we both ride the baddest ride on the road!!:yes:

edgeman55
12-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Well just had to chime in one more time about how much I have grown to love my Madstad.Went for a 200 mile ride yesterday in temps from 35-58 degrees as temps here have been very moderate for this time of the year.I had been riding it at the lowest setting with the 15" screen but I raised it up about a inch and a half to where I just see over the top of the screen.Well that last little bit of head buffeting is nearly gone with no noise in the 3/4 helmet.It is so quiet all I hear is gear whine and a little tire growl when cornering.Plus I found myself wanting to ride at 80+ all the time which in time could cost me so I kept a eye on the speedo more often.By far the best windscreen I have ever rode behind-OK I will get off my soapbox now and wish all you winter riders a safe time out there and a Happy New Year:yes:

keller123
12-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Well just had to chime in one more time about how much I have grown to love my Madstad.Went for a 200 mile ride yesterday in temps from 35-58 degrees as temps here have been very moderate for this time of the year.I had been riding it at the lowest setting with the 15" screen but I raised it up about a inch and a half to where I just see over the top of the screen.Well that last little bit of head buffeting is nearly gone with no noise in the 3/4 helmet.It is so quiet all I hear is gear whine and a little tire growl when cornering.Plus I found myself wanting to ride at 80+ all the time which in time could cost me so I kept a eye on the speedo more often.By far the best windscreen I have ever rode behind-OK I will get off my soapbox now and wish all you winter riders a safe time out there and a Happy New Year:yes:

Yes glad you talked me into mine too! I rode for 3 hours the other day at right at 42 degrees, loving the 90% less helmet wind noise! I went ahead and went with the Baker built knock-offs from China though, could not see putting out 80 bucks for the dark smoke that matches the bottom of the windscreen! China brand was 30 bucks including shipping, but I have to wait until possibly January 25th to get them, half my winner here will be over! I am sure from my memory on my GL 1800 and from what you reminded me, of that hand and arm body wind getting probably 80% removed. And I can open them up during the summer to really direct that air in on me, due to this windscreen taking out 90% of wind! Keep the shiny side up, another mad stad fan

keller123
01-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Knock off baker builts installed! They look decent. Wish I could figure out how to upload a pic and would show you. I will be doing a you tube review though and will post here. No instructions and hardware is different then the baker builts so had to do a lot of trial and error on install. Took about 1 1/2 hours!! taking her out tomorrow in feels like 20 degrees so should get a good feel how they will help out the old phalanges!! went out couple days ago on feels like 20 and did not get out of the neighborhood before finger tips cold. was in decent amount of cold pain in 20 minutes, no highway, and that is with the fly ignitor 2s on high!