PDA

View Full Version : Thinking full Wing...due to ABS

VStarRider
10-09-2017, 03:31 PM
I have had my F6 for two years, 15k miles. I have never gotten over the fact that it does not have ABS, such a crucial safety feature. I really would feel safer having it, despite the top notch lockers and reassuring handling of the F6.

I do not want to go to chromed-up Vtwin. What are my options?

I keep coming back to a full Wing. That way I could keep the motor and handling, plus the reliability, and get those anti-lock brakes that are always in the back of my mind. Not to mention cruise and some other nice features.

What stops me is...cost...still owe on the F6, and it ain't worth nothin' used...the full Wing seat is awful for a 6'1" guy...plus the full Wing is ugly, IMO. The F6 is a hot looking bike; I am always getting compliments.

I could sell/trade my F6 and get a used full Wing...perhaps a 2010, 2012 with ABS.

Perhaps I should just practice emergency braking more and wait until the NEW Wing is out, bugs worked through for a couple of years, then pull the trigger. Love the thought of having the 7 speed DCT...

F6B1911
10-09-2017, 04:26 PM
My bet is that Honda learned a few awful lessons with the F6B, we'll see the following standard on the new F6B as a minimum...
1) Cruise Control
2) ABS
3) Canadian Tool Kit
4) Navigation
5) Center Stand
6) High Quality Paint with a Clear Coat

thumper 549
10-09-2017, 05:18 PM
I have road bikes since 1965 without ABS.
I am still here.
Have I had a few catastrophise?
You bet!
The oncoming Vehicle and the LEFT turn scenario will change your religion RIGHT NOW !
You will be forever prepared that one!
After all these years I still depend on my brain to see the situations and clear them.
(situational awareness)
To put blinders on and depend on someone else's technology to make up for my lack of knowhow is the norm.
I would tell you to practice braking.
But you did not ask.
I have helped a few people learn to ride.
Front brake lockups should be in your practice session.
Then rear brake.
Once you know about what it takes, you are much better armed to deal with emergencies.
You need to do this first at low speeds and under various conditions.
Next, NOTHING makes up for situational awareness and a sixth sense that comes with time.

Radical Taz
10-09-2017, 06:03 PM
VStarRider,
That is the reason I purchased a spec3 full wing converted to a F6B. The “FrankenB”
I have ABS, cruise, adjustable windshield, heated seat, pegs, grips, GPS, reverse and so on.
The best of both worlds, great looks AND creature comforts.
Hopefully Mother Honda has finally figured out some people want it ALL!!!
Just my opinion.
Ride safe
Rod

willtill
10-09-2017, 06:06 PM
VStarRider,
That is the reason I purchased a spec3 full wing converted to a F6B. The “FrankenB”
I have ABS, cruise, adjustable windshield, heated seat, pegs, grips, GPS, reverse and so on.
The best of both worlds, great looks AND creature comforts.
Hopefully Mother Honda has finally figured out some people want it ALL!!!
Just my opinion.
Ride safe
Rod

If some people want it all... they are going to pay the price for it.

The F6B was meant to be a slightly stripped down power cruiser; evolved from the Wing.

If you "want it all" be prepared to pay the price.

Circle-5
10-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm sure many riders have put on thousands of miles without a helmet, and are doing just fine. However, the majority of us would no longer think of riding without a helmet. Many fighter pilots did some incredible flying before ejection seats were invented, yet not a single one today would ever say it isn't absolutely essential.

ABS is one of those technologies which, like the seat belt, the parachute, the helmet and the ejection seat, only comes in handy when all else has failed. It is widely considered to be one of the greatest improvements in automotive technology since it was introduced in the 1970s (in the 1990s for motorcycles). And unlike the helmet or the seat belt, it isn't physically cumbersome or restrictive. It weighs next to nothing and it's completely transparent, patiently waiting to prevent a wheel lock and save a life.

Even the most skilled rider in history isn't safe from all the drunken, texting idiots on the road. ABS is just one more well-documented safety technology that actually saves lives. Someday in the future, everybody will expect all motor vehicles to have ABS. I expect this today, but in the United States (and nowhere else), the Honda F6B doesn't have ABS, not even as an option.

To me, no ABS feels like riding without a helmet or driving without a seat belt – statistically, nothing bad is likely to happen. This time.

On the other hand, an airbag on a motorcycle is ... humm, I can't think of a non-offensive term. But the airbag on the GL-1800 is PINK. I suppose that says something right there.

Radical Taz
10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
If some people want it all... they are going to pay the price for it.

The F6B was meant to be a slightly stripped down power cruiser; evolved from the Wing.

If you "want it all" be prepared to pay the price.

You are correct on all points and I did pay a premium price which I was happy to do.
The problem was when it was introduced it wasn’t “slightly” stripped but “Completely” stripped and by the time Honda realized that in 2015, it was too late as weak sales have proven.
IMHO

Kasperwing
10-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I have road bikes since 1965 without ABS.
I am still here.
Have I had a few catastrophise?
You bet!
The oncoming Vehicle and the LEFT turn scenario will change your religion RIGHT NOW !
You will be forever prepared that one!
After all these years I still depend on my brain to see the situations and clear them.
(situational awareness)
To put blinders on and depend on someone else's technology to make up for my lack of knowhow is the norm.
I would tell you to practice braking.
But you did not ask.
I have helped a few people learn to ride.
Front brake lockups should be in your practice session.
Then rear brake.
Once you know about what it takes, you are much better armed to deal with emergencies.
You need to do this first at low speeds and under various conditions.
Next, NOTHING makes up for situational awareness and a sixth sense that comes with time.

When riding roads that you don't know how much friction is available, it is impossible for any and I mean ANY rider to out perform ABS. I raced Amateur for a year, I can wear out the passenger foot pegs on many bikes. I can do stop-ies all day. But on unknown roads, which most are, no damn way. AND THATS A FACT JACK!

Kasperwing
10-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I sold my non abs bike, and I am saving for 6 months or so to put a huge down payment on a ABS F6B.

thumper 549
10-09-2017, 07:08 PM
When riding roads that you don't know how much friction is available, it is impossible for any and I mean ANY rider to out perform ABS. I raced Amateur for a year, I can wear out the passenger foot pegs on many bikes. I can do stop-ies all day. But on unknown roads, which most are, no damn way. AND THATS A FACT JACK!

If one has not ever practised, he will never know what he has for traction or their abilities are.
That is why people practice autorotations, engine failures , cars pulling out in front of ya-LOL
Practice is what will tell what to do when crap is about to giveway.
I had a car pull out in front of me -2up last summer from a blind driveway.
On an old funky 1994 Road King!
This was all in a turn also, leaned over pretty good., pretty harry. (my first mistake that day)
Exp. told me when to drop off the back brake and apply even more front.
(I felt the rear lock up)
Without exp I would have been another statistic. Another wreck.
To blindly rely on ABS is insane.
If you think that is all ya need to go for a ride then this means one is miserable uninformed.
Next-Are you saying you cannot out stop ABS with the same bike no ABS?

Most skilled riders can outdo ABS
Do as you wish.
I can tell and smell the ensuing argument.
I will not take part as i have stated the facst and included one link, and a LOT more are available

http://www.superstreetbike.com/motorcycles-with-abs-technology-are-for-good-riders-too

VStarRider
10-09-2017, 07:42 PM
If one has not ever practised, he will never know what he has for traction or their abilities are.
That is why people practice autorotations, engine failures , cars pulling out in front of ya-LOL
Practice is what will tell what to do when crap is about to giveway.
I had a car pull out in front of me -2up last summer from a blind driveway.
On an old funky 1994 Road King!
This was all in a turn also, leaned over pretty good., pretty harry. (my first mistake that day)
Exp. told me when to drop off the back brake and apply even more front.
(I felt the rear lock up)
Without exp I would have been another statistic. Another wreck.
To blindly rely on ABS is insane.
If you think that is all ya need to go for a ride then this means one is miserable uninformed.
Next-Are you saying you cannot out stop ABS with the same bike no ABS?

Most skilled riders can outdo ABS
Do as you wish.
I can tell and smell the ensuing argument.
I will not take part as i have stated the facst and included one link, and a LOT more are available

http://www.superstreetbike.com/motorcycles-with-abs-technology-are-for-good-riders-too

Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.

Radical Taz
10-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Thumper, I do not intend for this to turn into an ABS debate thread. It is true that one should not allow a technology to replace riding skills as you mentioned, such as situational awareness. Hell, I would dare say that lane positioning significantly decreases your risk as much! I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not believe that my situational awareness, lane positioning, following distance, etc. would change at all if I am on an ABS bike, thinking I can be more lackadaisical because I have ABS on my side. Hardly. However, I also know that emergency braking occurs in a high panic situation, and knowing that you can divert whatever concentration would be dedicated to keeping those wheels turning to instead evaluating and executing a maneuver, significantly increases the chance of avoidance.

Yesterday, I rode up Rt 28, starting in Forestport and doing a loop around the Fulton Chain using South Shore Rd. You probably know this area, considering your location. South Shore Rd is full of curves and has a canopy of trees covering most of it. There are many driveways. The road was wet with wet leaves in many spots. I used my riding skills considering the circumstances, but this is the kind of situation where I want ABS. Someone does not make a curve and I am in a lean, or a car pulls out and I need to make an emergency stop, my wheels would have locked early in those conditions.

Valid points VStarRider
In the link offered by thumper 549 it states:
“A skilled rider on a non-ABS bike can float the rear tire while still braking hardthe reason the non-ABS stopping distance numbers below were oftentimes slightly shorter than with ABS.
Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. Whether youre riding on the street or on the track, ABS provides a mental advantage by allowing the rider to focus on other important aspects of riding.”

And I agree this does not have to become a “Versus” thread so l’m done commenting.
Ride safe
Rod

ff73148
10-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Technology is great. Saying that I too wish my F6B had ABS but I feel that the linked braking system on the bike is the next best thing. My other bike is a 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado which has Brembo ABS brakes, traction control with three settings, three different ride modes and cruise control. I purchased the the Eldorado three months ago as a leftover for $13,000. So Honda listen up. It shouldn't cost so much to give us what we want on our F6B.

Radical Taz
10-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Technology is great. Saying that I too wish my F6B had ABS but I feel that the linked braking system on the bike is the next best thing. My other bike is a 2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado which has Brembo ABS brakes, traction control with three settings, three different ride modes and cruise control. I purchased the the Eldorado three months ago as a leftover for $13,000. So Honda listen up. It shouldn't cost so much to give us what we want on our F6B.

AMEN Brother!!

Kasperwing
10-09-2017, 08:23 PM
NO HUMAN can always know what friction will be available all the time... like night, like spilled antifreeze, like fog, like panic caused by critters or humans. We know most of the time..... BUT NEVER ( never ever, never ever, never ever) ALL OF THE TIME!
That is what ABS is for. Adds another layer of protection. This does not mean one no longer has to practice the fastest, safest best braking possible. This does not mean one can ride with complete abandon, totally care free and take unusual chances etc. BTW... ABS does not work to good when you are cranked way over. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

OTOH... if one always rode the same roads only in daylight and stayed away from people and critters then the ODDS ARE ABS is not going to be needed .... probably. It reminds me of a airliner pilot joke. The Captain gets on the PA and announces we will probably be making a safe landing in about an hour. SAY WHAT? PROBABLY .... hey sucka... aint no probably..... make the damn safe landing!

What fun is there in riding the same road every day? The same road that you are perfect on the brakes. The same road where no unforeseen out side forces can ruin your day...

I ride to enjoy as much as I can inhale and process. This means traversing unknown bitumen, asphalt, concrete, and every thing in between. All it takes is preventing one spill, and the cost of ABS is paid for 10 fold or more.

ShanghaiDan
10-09-2017, 08:34 PM
From the link:

" Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. "

Enough said.

Kasperwing
10-09-2017, 08:35 PM
From the link:

" Make no mistake though, ABS will save you in the wet or on slick pavement no matter how skilled you think you are as attested by our test rider. "

Enough said.

EXACTLY THANK YOU >>CASE CLOSED!

thumper 549
10-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Dwn in By Hope and Day along the lake is where the vehicle jumped right out of a very secluded driveway.
Some luck, some skill, and still here.
I am not going to belabor the ABS issue either.
I just post what i think I know deluted with what i used to know.
Each to their own.

willtill
10-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Throw a car tire on the back of your F6B and see/feel how much better your stopping distance is improved :yes:

:icon_wink:

druggr
10-10-2017, 08:00 AM
"Thinking full Wing...due to ABS"

I don't blame you. It's truly saved my life more the one. I won't buy a new Wing without it.

woody
10-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Why not trade it in on a Canadian F6B they have had ABS since 2013. The ride back home would be great.

VStarRider
10-10-2017, 06:10 PM
I have had this thought more than once...including today! I have three Canada border crossings within a three hour drive. I should check into this...however, I am guessing it will be a hassle...converting the instrument cluster, paying duty, ensuring it is USA compliant, etc. Still, worth considering as this would solve all of my concerns (plus getting CC on 2015+)!

3Chief
10-10-2017, 06:31 PM
I have had this thought more than once...including today! I have three Canada border crossings within a three hour drive. I should check into this...however, I am guessing it will be a hassle...converting the instrument cluster, paying duty, ensuring it is USA compliant, etc. Still, worth considering as this would solve all of my concerns (plus getting CC on 2015+)!

As a stray thought...some unfortunate has probably wrecked one thru any number of scenarios...maybe find a bike salvage yard up that way and purchase the ABS system...I have no idea what adding it would entail, however the core bike is the same.

VStarRider
10-14-2017, 08:07 AM
I think what I am going to do is just keep riding the F6 for a couple more seasons, then offer it up to one of you guys in the classifieds in Spring 2020. I will then go and buy a new 2020 full Wing (I really would like the additional space offered by the trunk, plus increased visibility for those behind me) with the DCT and every possible option imaginable.

Riding the F6 will just be awful for the next two years and 12-14,000 miles, but I will tough it out. <--- sarcasm.

opas ride
10-14-2017, 09:50 AM
I think what I am going to do is just keep riding the F6 for a couple more seasons, then offer it up to one of you guys in the classifieds in Spring 2020. I will then go and buy a new 2020 full Wing (I really would like the additional space offered by the trunk, plus increased visibility for those behind me) with the DCT and every possible option imaginable.

Riding the F6 will just be awful for the next two years and 12-14,000 miles, but I will tough it out. <--- sarcasm.

Seems to me my friend that you have not been happy with your F6B since day one...No cruise, no ABS, no storage space etc. etc...Why not get rid of it now, buy the new 2018 GW and ride away with a smile on your face and perhaps not so much complaining about the F6B....Regards and ride safe

baiao
10-15-2017, 07:20 AM
My bet is that Honda learned a few awful lessons with the F6B, we'll see the following standard on the new F6B as a minimum...
1) Cruise Control
2) ABS
3) Canadian Tool Kit
4) Navigation
5) Center Stand
6) High Quality Paint with a Clear Coat

All plus add electric reverse too (and American tool kit:clap2:)

2wheelsforme
10-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Don't want navigation, tool kit or reverse. My Garmin is much better than the ones I've used on a HD, a Honda and my Nissan. My tools are better quality and I don't park facing downhill against a wall.

3Chief
10-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Don't want navigation, tool kit or reverse. My Garmin is much better than the ones I've used on a HD, a Honda and my Nissan. My tools are better quality and I don't park facing downhill against a wall.

Reverse would be nice. When at home I prefer to park the bike face out and reverse would save me the aggravation of turning the B around in the garage. I have a short steep angle I cannot safely roll the B over going backwards via people power to get in my garage.