PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Goldwing, F6B - Hp, Weights and Dimensions

98valk
10-12-2017, 03:12 PM
I'm starting a new thread because this info didn't seem to be noticed on the old thread. Here it is. Time to digest some numbers: :clap2:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/october/2018_goldwing_power_weight_details_infomation

opas ride
10-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I'm starting a new thread because this info didn't seem to be noticed on the old thread. Here it is. Time to digest some numbers: :clap2:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/october/2018_goldwing_power_weight_details_infomation

What does the weight of the F6B come in at when converted to lbs. from kgs??..No comments noticed about seat height on either models also an issue for me....I guess we just wait and see..Regards

Walcrow
10-12-2017, 05:32 PM
One kg = 2.2 lbs so new B would weigh 803 lbs.

According to this article, wheelbase is now 1/5 inch longer and overall length is 5.2 inches shorter.

Jimmytee
10-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Also according to the article , the engine is 1 cc larger with a modest increase in power. If correct , I guess ok. Was hoping for more though. Closer to the BMW numbers.

Walcrow
10-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Mentions zero about the possible 7 speed and reverse for the B :stirthepot:

98valk
10-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Also according to the article , the engine is 1 cc larger with a modest increase in power. If correct , I guess ok. Was hoping for more though. Closer to the BMW numbers.

Yeah, I was hoping for a 20% increase in power. Being lighter will help a bit.

It's nice that Standard or DCT may be available on both the F6B and the full Wing.

More info, more info! I'm not good at waiting ... :icon_frown:

Jimmytee
10-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Mentions zero about the possible 7 speed and reverse for the B :stirthepot:

Well the article doesn't go into the technical specs of the transmission, but the rumor that preceded the pics with the "select group" who got to do a secret ride, said that the DCT was 7 spd and the manual will be a 6 spd. The reverse is supposed to be a real reverse gear, using the motor not the starter. It would seem it would be a bit more involved to offer a bike without such an option so I am going to assume that the B will ave the reverse.

98valk
10-12-2017, 06:04 PM
One kg = 2.2 lbs so new B would weigh 803 lbs.

According to this article, wheelbase is now 1/5 inch longer and overall length is 5.2 inches shorter.

5" shorter seemed like a lot. But, I just measured and there is 12" from our rear wheel to the end of the fender. Wouldn't take much to trim off 5" of that.

Mentions zero about the possible 7 speed and reverse for the B

Here you go. "There are also GL1800D and GL1800BD models, each with Honda’s DCT semi-automatic transmission."

No reverse mentioned on either model. I bet that they are on both. :yes:

98valk
10-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Well the article doesn't go into the technical specs of the transmission, but the rumor that preceded the pics with the "select group" who got to do a secret ride, said that the DCT was 7 spd and the manual will be a 6 spd. The reverse is supposed to be a real reverse gear, using the motor not the starter. It would seem it would be a bit more involved to offer a bike without such an option so I am going to assume that the B will ave the reverse.

Oops, you beat me to it. And good point about the reverse being a gear.

Back to the removable trunk. The weight difference between the B and the Wing is only 40lbs now (used to be 80). With the looks of the seat, I am still hoping the trunk is removable.

Maybe there won't really be an F6B, just a trunkless Wing (with or without DCT)?

Anyone see any badging on the pics to show a difference from the F6B vs the Wing?

seventwenty
10-12-2017, 06:49 PM
I'd have thought a bigger increase in power would be warranted but I'm sure it might affect the reliability that we all like. It will still be quicker than what we have with the weight loss.

VStarRider
10-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Each manufacturer that has a full dresser touring model seems to be marketing an accompanying bagger model with it...BMW, Yamaha, and Honda continuing what they started, and hopefully fixed, with their duo.

Every single person I have talked to, and admittedly this is not a large number, who has considered the F6B and went in another direction all have the same reason: no cruise (13-14) and no ABS.

Man, I hope Honda learned from these omissions....though, I notice there are surprising number of features missing from the Star Eluder that are on the TC Touring.

VStarRider
10-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I was hoping for a 20% increase in power. Being lighter will help a bit.

It's nice that Standard or DCT may be available on both the F6B and the full Wing.

More info, more info! I'm not good at waiting ... :icon_frown:

Using the current 105 hp at the rear wheel and new curb weight being about 100 lbs lighter, that's roughly a 9% increase in power to weight ratio (on the full Wing).

Jimmytee
10-12-2017, 08:19 PM
The article really was just speculating on the engine performance. We should know the truth in a couple weeks. Other info from another site had claimed the new engines are fed by 6 independent electronic throttles instead of the 2 barrel throttlebody of today;s bike. Also the "secret test ride group" reported more power and torque. Said that any specific engine specs were being held secret. We may be in for a surprise. just saying. At least that's how I'm going to think about it until I learn differently.:icon_wink:

bigdawg
10-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Each manufacturer that has a full dresser touring model seems to be marketing an accompanying bagger model with it...BMW, Yamaha, and Honda continuing what they started, and hopefully fixed, with their duo.

Every single person I have talked to, and admittedly this is not a large number, who has considered the F6B and went in another direction all have the same reason: no cruise (13-14) and no ABS.

Man, I hope Honda learned from these omissions....though, I notice there are surprising number of features missing from the Star Eluder that are on the TC Touring.

I agree 100%. I don't want a watered down F6B . I just don't want the trunk. To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed about the horse power and torque numbers and I don't like the speed governed at 112. I rarely go that fast, but it would be nice to have the option. I would hate to be beaten in a race by a two cylinder motorcycle.

Phantom
10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
The article really was just speculating on the engine performance. We should know the truth in a couple weeks. Other info from another site had claimed the new engines are fed by 6 independent electronic throttles instead of the 2 barrel throttlebody of today;s bike. Also the "secret test ride group" reported more power and torque. Said that any specific engine specs were being held secret. We may be in for a surprise. just saying. At least that's how I'm going to think about it until I learn differently.:icon_wink:

The 2004 and 2005 Honda Rune had 6 individual throttle bodies feeding this same GL1800 engine. It's been done
Yes, the Rune was quicker and had more torque off the line, however at the end of a 1/2 mile race between a VTX1800, a Goldwing GL1800 and a Honda Rune ... ALL 3 bikes were within 2-4 feet of each other at the finish line. Both the VTX and the Goldwing caught up to the Rune.
I had one of my Runes on a DYNO and it had reached 142mph.

Jimmytee
10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
The 2004 and 2005 Honda Rune had 6 individual throttle bodies feeding this same GL1800 engine. It's been done
Yes, the Rune was quicker and had more torque off the line, however at the end of a 1/2 mile race between a VTX1800, a Goldwing GL1800 and a Honda Rune ... ALL 3 bikes were within 2-4 feet of each other at the finish line. Both the VTX and the Goldwing caught up to the Rune.
I had one of my Runes on a DYNO and it had reached 142mph.

As I understand it, there is no throttle bodies on the new engine. It will be throttle by wire. We will learn soon.

Phantom
10-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Just posted a new avatar with Rune Speedo.

The bike had decelerated 2mph before the darn camera could take the photo.

ths61
10-12-2017, 10:59 PM
That review (besides the weight) was a little underwelming for 16 years of development.

Deerkiller
10-13-2017, 07:55 AM
As I understand it, there is no throttle bodies on the new engine. It will be throttle by wire. We will learn soon.

It still needs throttle bodies. It just won’t have throttle cables most likely.

Deerkiller
10-13-2017, 08:04 AM
The speed limiter would be a deal breaker for me unless it can be disposed of with some sort of tune.

opas ride
10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
The speed limiter would be a deal breaker for me unless it can be disposed of with some sort of tune.

I know some like speed, but where in America can you ride at 100mph plus without breaking the law, putting yourself in danger and those around you...Maybe on the Salt flats or on some lonely back road in the West...Not for me, the thing is fast enough as it is.....Regards and ride safe....

Deerkiller
10-13-2017, 10:32 AM
I know some like speed, but where in America can you ride at 100mph plus without breaking the law, putting yourself in danger and those around you...Maybe on the Salt flats or on some lonely back road in the West...Not for me, the thing is fast enough as it is.....Regards and ride safe....

I take my chances and pay fines when necessary. Lots of lonely roads where I ride. Not defending anything. It just is what it is.

BIGLRY
10-13-2017, 11:30 AM
I had one of my Runes on a DYNO and it had reached 142mph.And to expand on that a bit the six separate throttle bodies on the Rune are 32 mm verses the GL1800/F6B twin throated throttle bodies of 40 mm and the VTX1800 uses a twin 42 mm throttle body. The Rune has a different cam than the GL1800, it is a torque cam and while the Rune will beat the GL1800 out of the hole, in the top end the GL1800 will get the to the speed limiter faster.

Broken Hand
10-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Back to the removable trunk. The weight difference between the B and the Wing is only 40lbs now (used to be 80). With the looks of the seat, I am still hoping the trunk is removable.

Maybe there won't really be an F6B, just a trunkless Wing (with or without DCT)?

Anyone see any badging on the pics to show a difference from the F6B vs the Wing?

According to the stats, the F6B is 10mm shorter than its big brother. That tells me it's two separate models. Too bad. I'd love a removable trunk.

98valk
10-13-2017, 01:08 PM
According to the stats, the F6B is 10mm shorter than its big brother. That tells me it's two separate models. Too bad. I'd love a removable trunk.

I think that you meant 100mm. Isn't that because of no trunk hanging off the rear?

"while the F6B is down from 2605mm to 2475mm thanks to the lack of top-box."

I agree that there are probably two distinct models. But it could make sense to have one model and add or delete what you want. Come on Honda - think about it!! :yes:

Walcrow
10-13-2017, 02:33 PM

I would agree with you about one model. The issue to me would be the wiring that the trunk uses for the lighting, antenna, etc. and where that harness might go if you took the trunk off. Also, when I took off the front shroud for the MadStad, there's a fair amount of space under it that could be used for an electric windshield with quite a bit of extension. For the B, forget the stock 7 inch midget and put in a windshield that might go from 10 inches to 18 inches or so. Just thinkin' out loud. My main item would be reverse, since I'm most likely looking at a knee replacement down the road. Backing up, for me, is a challenge, if I've been stupid enough to not park it right way :banghead::banghead:

98valk
10-13-2017, 02:53 PM

I would agree with you about one model. The issue to me would be the wiring that the trunk uses for the lighting, antenna, etc. and where that harness might go if you took the trunk off. Also, when I took off the front shroud for the MadStad, there's a fair amount of space under it that could be used for an electric windshield with quite a bit of extension. For the B, forget the stock 7 inch midget and put in a windshield that might go from 10 inches to 18 inches or so. Just thinkin' out loud. My main item would be reverse, since I'm most likely looking at a knee replacement down the road. Backing up, for me, is a challenge, if I've been stupid enough to not park it right way :banghead::banghead:

Looking at the rear of the F6b pic, behind the seat. It looks like there is a "cap" that could cover any connectors once the trunk is removed. If it was not covering something, it could have been flatter. Just being optimistic.

I read that the F6b model shield all the way down is 12" shorter than the Wing shield all the way up. Looking at the pictures and doing a little math, I am guessing that there is 4" of windshield adjustment (on both bikes) and that the F6b shield is 4" shorter than the Wing shield (did I do that right?).

Of course, all this is speculation, but fun!

Broken Hand
10-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Looking at the rear of the F6b pic, behind the seat. It looks like there is a "cap" that could cover any connectors once the trunk is removed. If it was not covering something, it could have been flatter. Just being optimistic.

I read that the F6b model shield all the way down is 12" shorter than the Wing shield all the way up. Looking at the pictures and doing a little math, I am guessing that there is 4" of windshield adjustment (on both bikes) and that the F6b shield is 4" shorter than the Wing shield (did I do that right?).

100 mm, my bad.
I agree with you. Honda would destroy the competition with a removable trunk...until Yamaha added a removable trunk AND removable side bags.

The one issue I've read about the new Yamaha Venture is that it bakes you while stopped. No thanks. Gets hot enough in summer where I live.

Jimmytee
10-14-2017, 04:50 AM

I've commented before that with the limited angles provided in the "Sneaked Pics" that if you look at the seat area, it kind of looks like seats on both the new F6B and the Full dressed version are the same. Unlike the current F6B and Gold Wing. This leaves some room to speculate the possibility of a removable trunk. Yeah it might be wishful thinking, but if Honda has been listening.:icon_rolleyes:
Notice the grab rails do not extend past the rear of the passenger seat and from the pics, it looks like the same seat.

https://i.imgur.com/7UH0Idi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ExGoBAV.jpg

VStarRider
10-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Despite excessive squinting at my screen, I cannot decipher whether or not there is an ABS ring on the front wheel of the new F6B.

VStarRider
10-14-2017, 07:39 AM
100 mm, my bad.
I agree with you. Honda would destroy the competition with a removable trunk...until Yamaha added a removable trunk AND removable side bags.

The one issue I've read about the new Yamaha Venture is that it bakes you while stopped. No thanks. Gets hot enough in summer where I live.

Two questions:

1. The Venture has a removable trunk and side bags...?

2. Where are you reading about the new Venture?

Broken Hand
10-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Two questions:

1. The Venture has a removable trunk and side bags...?

2. Where are you reading about the new Venture?

Sorry, I meant to say until Yamaha adds...then BMW responds, then Kawasaki, then Honda, you get it.

I've been watching YouTube videos of vloggers going on Yamaha rides. I've heard mention that their legs get baked sitting at traffic lights.

F6Dave
11-14-2017, 09:55 AM

My guess is that the new front suspension has something to do with the shorter overall length. The rake of forks requires a significant gap between the front wheel and the engine/frame to keep the tire from hitting when the forks are compressed. Since wheel travel is closer to vertical with the new automotive type suspension, less space is needed behind the tire. This allowed Honda to move the rider, passenger and everything else forward, decreasing rear overhang and improving handling as well.

olegoat345
11-20-2017, 03:41 PM
"B" is 44 lbs. lighter