PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Jimmytee
10-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Just looking for GPS recommendations. I have always used my phone, but thinking I might get a dedicated GPS. I have been thinking of getting a decent car GPS and a rain proof cover for it. I've read mixed reviews on some "Motorcycle" GPS units. There are some nice features of a motorcycle GPS like being able to select curvy roads etc.. However these come at a premium and not sure the added expense is really worth it. One thing I do like on my phone is being able to select "avoid highways" for more scenic roads. Just looking for opinions. Thanks :icon_wink:

Az Wingrider
10-15-2017, 08:13 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 665 which now outdated and can be purchased pretty reasonably. If you subscribe to XM/Sirius radio you can get weather and traffic alerts as well. I have mine hardwired into the bike but you can still pop it off when you are worried about security. Mine is six years old and has never given me any problems at all. That it is water resistant and shock resistant is a very positive feature. I also like that I can plan routes on my computer and download them into the GPS. I have downloaded multi-day trips of as long as two weeks with all the stops and it takes me directly to the front door of my motel at the end of each day.

In my opinion mine paid for itself in the first year. I recommend buying one with lifetime maps.

Good luck

stepbill
10-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Jimmy, I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and really like it. It does not give you the curvy road option but it is supposed to be waterproof. I switch it between my bike and truck all the time. Have the bike mount permanently mounted and wired. Wish I would have gotten the 665 for the XM radio but I can still listen to that through my phone.

2wheelsforme
10-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Sounds like the first need you have from a GPS unit is to tell you were you are rather than where to go. You look at it and you decide what road you want to take. I have a Zumo 590 and most likely the best unit you can buy but yes pricey. The select curvy roads feature is not something that is ever used. Having a map that moves with you and in front of you all the time is something you can really get used to and grow to miss without it. The biggest advantage of the upper end units is having the ability to set at your computer with Google maps etc and plan a route, picking every road, then download it into your on bike GPS which will give you turn by turns thru your bike speakers or headphones, estimated arrival, miles, average speeds, elevation, etc. Even then you are picking the roads and not letting the Garmin Lady pick them for you. Even share the route with other riders. The "for motorcycle" means it has left hand controls, water and vibration resistant, glove friendly screen and a few more things. If you don't need those and you are not wanting to build your routes in advance then a $100 car unit will work just fine. If you get one that is easy to unmount from your bike you just put it in your pocket when it rains. The higher end units also have stored music, TPMs, XM, and Bluetooth to your phone while it is in your pocket so that music as well as anything you can access from the internet like radar, phone calls and music services is available to you. Motorcycle Zumos cost from mid 300 to almost 800. I would not get anything else unless going the really low cost car type. A phone does work fine but the constant power and larger screen and no need for cell service (I think you can get around that) is worthwhile.

Jimmytee
10-15-2017, 08:53 PM
I have been eyeballing the Garmin Drive smart GPS units. They would require a case , which there are readily available cases with visors and can be permanently mounted.

The Zumo 590 is feature packed, but so is the price tag. I don't need features like the Sirus /XM as I have a tuner already built in with my aftermarket audio system and also have bluetooth from my phone for audio and USB etc... The Drive Smart series has Bluetooth and the ability to answer my phone etc... As I understand it,I can pre plan routes as well with the Drive Smart. I can be equipped for under $200.

My question really is more geared towards whether the other features like the "curvy" road feature and any other features really made it worth while.
My phone has worked fairly well, but it does need a signal to originate a map when searching. This can sometimes be limiting when in remote places looking for directions.

Steve 0080
10-15-2017, 08:54 PM
I have the Zumo 550 and have moved it from bike to bike...there are still some out there for sale..Great unit!

dadeo
10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Found a refub Garmin unit on e-bay. Still nearly $500.00. I've been using GPS since it became available to consumers. Before GPS, I used Loran in boats, then GPS came along and everything changed. My first GPS was in a boat. The first one I used on land was a Navman unit in the mid 1990s in my Jeep. It was purely an early adopter's toy. You downloaded the route & map to the unit via PC before you left, and there was no going off plan unless you had the PC with you. Big Luggable Laptop. Remember printing paper directions from Mapquest? It was like that only on the dash, easier to read, and it read the directions aloud (sort of). I've used other GPS units from Magellan (boat and land), Navman (land and boat), ICOM (boat), TomTom (MC and car), Teletype (MC and truck), Northstar (boat). And I've tried many GPS apps for iPhone and Android (phones and tablets), Google and Apple Maps, and apps that store the map and routing software on the phone when you are out of data range. Plus whatever junk Chrysler, Mercedes, Ford and Toyota and Nissan put in a dozen cars over the last 20 years... I got to play with a lot of toys. :icon_cool:

What do I think? The Garmin units designed for motorcycles are the best. Period. But I especially think that phone GPS using data can really really suck. Sure you can do it with Google and/or the few OK GPS apps that download the map and routing software to your phone. But these things are kludges. And especially unfortunate you will be if you decide to vary your route with one that depends on downloading detailed map and routing data as you go out of range of your data plan. And guess where that's most likely to occur? On the best motorcycle roads on the planet: in most of our big National Parks. Even Shenandoah NP near DC. Hell, even NYS's Adirondack and Catskills Parks still have huge land areas of of cell free zones. So forget the data based apps for phones if you want to really travel in rural areas. The few GPS apps that download both the detailed maps and routing software to the phone are barely ok. But make sure you have lots of empty storage space for a long trip and be flexible b/c they still don't reliably give you the best M/C friendly route on the fly. They over promise on the routing options. Most annoying? Turning around when the road in Utah turned to unpaved mud b/c I was trying out a phone app. Otherwise it was OK, even though I told it to give me the fastest route, with paved roads. So we could meet a plane home. Recently I played with an app that has all sorts of MC routes imbedded. But I also found that when I went off route, the thing tried to update the route and it failed to get me back on the route going the right direction.

It helps that the Garmin m/c units are built to take a m/c beating. The have a good list of MC features too.

I've had a two TomTom's. They are cheaper, fairly well built, but they aren't as well built as Garmin. Both of my TT's suffered mounting failures after 5 years or so. They are better than any phone based app on the market. So if cost is a big deal, and you don't care about having traffic and other apps that Garmin offers, the new TomTom is a pretty nice unit.

There are no other makers. Magellan is gone. Teletype tried a few years ago, they make a truck GPS, their M/C version was too slow to update routes.
For What It is Worth.
Garmin or TomTom

2wheelsforme
10-16-2017, 05:33 AM
I don't think the curvy road feature adds much value at all. More important is the motorcycle friendly aspects of a Zumo. Not familiar with the Drive Smart line. I'm sure you like any model you end up with and upgrades are always possible. I started with a elcheepo then a Zumo 550 and now a 590. Enjoyed them all.

lloydmoore1
10-16-2017, 06:59 AM
My question really is more geared towards whether the other features like the "curvy" road feature and any other features really made it worth while.

The answer is no.

I have a tom-tom rider 400. I rarely use the curvy road feature. On a normal GPS you can change your route by choosing 'select alternate route " this pretty much has the same effect.

If you can find a way to keep your unit water proof then you can save a boat load of money a buy a normal GPS.

If you buy a tom tom then you will get the "my drive '' app with it and this is a cool feature that allows you to log into any PC, create your route and then it will transfer to your GPS next time you power up as long as you log into the app on your GPS. Cool feature.

by the way the tom tom rider 400 says it's water proof...it's not. I'm on my 3rd replacement unit now because the screen seeps waters and condensation forms on the screen. Stay away form this model!!!!

jmdaniel
10-16-2017, 07:11 AM
I have the Zumo 550 and have moved it from bike to bike...there are still some out there for sale..Great unit!

Same here, with a mount on both of my bikes. Used it on a 3200 mile trip a couple of weeks ago.

Jimmytee
10-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Well I should have prefaced my post by saying that my dear wife knew I was thinking about getting a GPS and gave me $200 worth of Amazon gift cards for our Anniversary. :icon_wink: So I am somewhat limiting my purchase options for what I can get on Amazon. Finding the older discontinued models is a harder task. So I am basically looking at current or fairly recent models that can be found on Amazon. I just wanted to get a sense of other's experience on whether I would really be justified in adding another $600 to buy Zumo 595 for example. I appreciate all the input.

Hornblower
10-16-2017, 09:15 AM
I have been eyeballing the Garmin Drive smart GPS units. They would require a case , which there are readily available cases with visors and can be permanently mounted.

Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.

2wheelsforme
10-16-2017, 09:58 AM
You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.

Jimmytee
10-16-2017, 10:33 AM
You can get a Zumo 390 for around $350 only 150 would have to be added. It is a motorcycle GPS and gives you almost every thing the 590 does but with a smaller screen. The difference between the 390/395 and 590/595 is the five indicates it has the adventure routes as in dirt roads, so not really needed on a touring bike. It is black rather than silver so looks good on the F6B and not old at all so still supported by Garmin.
I've looked at the 395. Think the price was close or at $500 for the 395. So more like $300 more. If I could find it for $350, I would probably consider it more. However it does only have I think a 4.3 " screen if I remember correctly.

Jimmytee
10-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Jimmy--I've also been considering the Drivesmart 61. It has a lot of interesting features but really needs to BT with your Smartphone to be fully functional. As I'm sure you know, it's not designed for vibration or weather and Garmin will not honor the warranty if they find out you ran it on a motorcycle. It also won't BT with a pair of BT ear buds or BT communicators like Sena. From what I read, it will only BT to a Smartphone. Also, on cases, I'm not aware of a case with visor for the Drivesmart but I could be mistaken on that. Some say the display is so good you don't really need a visor but I can't confirm that since I don't own one myself.

I was looking at the 51 because the case I found that I mentioned only fit 5" screens. :icon_rolleyes:
Under the description it mentions being able to answer calls etc.. Short video shows incoming calls / messages coming through on the screen. No the headset ,I imagine, would be connected to the phone as usual.

2wheelsforme
10-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Oh I'm sorry the one I was looking at on Amazon was a 390 for $350 but it was refurbished. Used ones can be found sometimes, I purchased my 590 two years ago used and a bargain. I consider it the best addition I have on the bike.

F6Bster
10-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Every few months it seems that Garmin lowers the price on the 395LM to $399. At Wingstuff, Amazon, on the Garmin site, etc. Next time I plan to grab a 395. One of my winter projects/expenses. Run a 550 now and for the past 12 years or so. It does great but I want the 395 and will pick up the tire pressure sensors also.

Av8er
10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Just curious but why don't y'all just youse an app on a phone? I have had a 550 and a 660 and yes they are nice but for the price I think I will use my phone GPS.

F6Bster
10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
I keep my phone in the pocket of my riding pants. If the bike and I get separated in an accident, I want the phone accessible. Also, I don't have a large data plan, plus some of the remote areas in the western US don't have cell phone service. And, I like building rides in advance and loading them to the GPS before I make a trip, that way I can include all of the great, out-of-the-way roads that I want to hit.

Just curious but why don't y'all just youse an app on a phone? I have had a 550 and a 660 and yes they are nice but for the price I think I will use my phone GPS.

Jimmytee
10-16-2017, 07:37 PM

I have used my phone. It works pretty well as long as I have a signal. My phone is a Note 4 that is supplied by my employer plus I don't pay for it or the data.

I just finally thought I might use a dedicated GPS that isn't reliant on a phone signal when I need to set up directions/navigation. Most of the time this isn't a big issue, but when it is, it's frustrating.

unsub
10-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Jimmy, I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and really like it. It does not give you the curvy road option but it is supposed to be waterproof. I switch it between my bike and truck all the time. Have the bike mount permanently mounted and wired. Wish I would have gotten the 665 for the XM radio but I can still listen to that through my phone.

:yes:

Built like a tank and you can add lifetime maps as an upgrade through Garmin. Caveat....it is a little "slower" on commands than a newer one, but you can drop kick this into next week and it'll turn on and work.

It comes with both bike and car mounts in the box w/all the necessary hardware to connect.

Oh yeah... it has micro sd card capabilities and I play my mp3's through this thing. I think it has a slightly better volume range that the OEM mp3 function of the Honda. Probably just my imagination but you're the audio expert.

Av8er
10-16-2017, 08:32 PM
I keep my phone in the pocket of my riding pants. If the bike and I get separated in an accident, I want the phone accessible. Also, I don't have a large data plan, plus some of the remote areas in the western US don't have cell phone service. And, I like building rides in advance and loading them to the GPS before I make a trip, that way I can include all of the great, out-of-the-way roads that I want to hit.

I have used my phone. It works pretty well as long as I have a signal. My phone is a Note 4 that is supplied by my employer plus I don't pay for it or the data.

I just finally thought I might use a dedicated GPS that isn't reliant on a phone signal when I need to set up directions/navigation. Most of the time this isn't a big issue, but when it is, it's frustrating.

Not a bad thing to have the phone stay with you in an accident. Never thought of that. I have an iPhone and an app that I can load routes into. I also dont think you have to have phone signal for the gps portion to work. Please correct me if I am wrong.

F6Bster
10-16-2017, 08:42 PM
You are correct. GPS will work without cell/data signal, but you will still need a mapping program to overlay with it.

Not a bad thing to have the phone stay with you in an accident. Never thought of that. I have an iPhone and an app that I can load routes into. I also dont think you have to have phone signal for the gps portion to work. Please correct me if I am wrong.

dadeo
10-16-2017, 11:27 PM
g

Not to beat a dead horse, but I need to make my point. Phone GPS units are not designed for what touring motorcyclists do. They can work, most of the time, but when they fail, they really fail. There are several types of GPS systems designed for different tasks and situations:
= Phone based apps that use data as you go. You MUST have access to data for these to always work. Even loading Googlemaps onto a phone before losing data will fail if you have to reroute on the fly. Also phones generally can't get wet.
= Phone based apps that load the maps in advance. Usually free, but the routing software is usually dismal, and they depend on a phone that can't get wet as well.
= Marine GPS: Highly accurate location data but No highway routing software. Wanna find fish? Avoid a sand bar?
= General Purpose Highway units and software, most GPS units from Garmin, TomTom and in your car: Pretty poor motorcyle routing,
Off Roading and Orienteering: Usually small screens, but some are close to what we use on motorcycles when off roading. Cheap units have no real routing software. These are usually good for off road hiking, biking, riding. Can be pricey to get same functions as Garmin Zumo series.
= Motorcycle touring Zumo and TomTom Rider 400: Pricey, most durable, not inclined to interface well with phones, often feature bloated, good m/c routing though.
= Trucking GPS: Really big screens, heavy, readable, never waterproof, designed for drivers who have to stay on truck routes. Sometimes the software for these things is slow -- there is an incredible amount of data in these units that does not have to be in car systems.
= Aviation. I don't fly so I don't know much about the last one.

To sum up...
1. Rural areas = no data. Bad or no phone service. That's the biggest reason to have a regular GPS.
2. Phone Based GPS Software = Crappy Routing algorithms. That means bad programming. Not built for mc riding. Result: you take boring roads or end up in mud roads when you don't want to. Example: Googlemaps when off line, Any cheap or free app that you download onto a phone that calls itself m/c GPS software: low quality routing.
3. Safety: Do NOT trust a phone in rural areas. Not for communication, not for directions. Take a look at a national coverage map from Verizon et all. When I go off road in my jeep or out on big water in my boat, we carry CB or FRS or Marine radios AND GPS units with software specifically designed for the situation. Those of you who carry cell phones when traveling alone in "big country" without cell coverage are fooling yourself -- that thing will be not reach anyone when you really need it. Carry a radio. Keep spare batteries. Why do you think the big Honda still has a CB option?

If all your riding is near suburbia and a city, then OK, the cell phone is fine.

Ride Safe

Bryster
10-17-2017, 04:15 AM
Using a android head unit in the car with Sygic nav on it, excellent little android GPS app. It runs offline maps so you don't have to have a connection but if one is there it'll give updated traffic info as well. That way you could use on phone and still have directions over music if so inclined.

Just an idea.

jmdaniel
10-17-2017, 08:36 AM
3. Safety: Do NOT trust a phone in rural areas. Not for communication, not for directions. Take a look at a national coverage map from Verizon et all. When I go off road in my jeep or out on big water in my boat, we carry CB or FRS or Marine radios AND GPS units with software specifically designed for the situation. Those of you who carry cell phones when traveling alone in "big country" without cell coverage are fooling yourself -- that thing will be not reach anyone when you really need it. Carry a radio. Keep spare batteries. Why do you think the big Honda still has a CB option?

Hell, I can't trust my company issued phone in my house. Verizon cell service sucks here, and I lose signal 3-5 times a day, while on calls.

JGF6B
10-17-2017, 09:18 AM
I've owned my Zumo 595LM for about three months now. I took the plunge because I was able to obtain one from Amazon using only credit card points. This unit is very expensive.
I was really looking forward to the "curvy roads" feature but I am very disappointed in it. I always select "avoid highways" and set the curvy roads slider to 1 or 2 (options are 0, 1, or 2). With these settings this unit repeatedly sends me through downtown Worcester or Lowell, MA. It is downright ridiculous. Last Sunday I was south west of Worcester navigating home which is north west of Worcester. The stupid GPS wanted to extend my trip by 30-40 minutes through downtown Worcester just to find the desired curvy roads. The curvy roads feature might work ok if there was an "avoid city centers" option. It seems like the GPS unit knows of a few nice curvy roads and then tries to get me on them at all costs, regardless of how many traffic lights I'll have to sit at. So far, for me, Garmin Adventurous riding = traffic light riding.
You do have the ability to browse the map and add custom avoidances but the areas for avoidance are too small so it isn't a useful feature to me.
If you don't ride near city centers, the curvy roads feature may work better for you.
There are a few features I really like. I really like seeing text messages on my GPS screen. My phone will be in the cubby charging and the texts get relayed to my GPS screen. I also ponied up the $120+ for two tire pressure sensors and I am quite happy with having active tire pressure monitoring while I'm riding. You can program alarm pressures for each tire.
I am a little disappointed in the brightness of the screen. I can't say I've used a GPS with a brighter screen but I can say this screen still isn't bright enough depending on how the sun hit the screen.
I do use the blue tooth for hands free calling and for playing media (mostly audio books). The 595LM does well there, although I do have to disconnect/reconnect blue tooth occasionally because of poor sound quality. I connect my helmet speakers to the GPS and to my phone. I can listen to media from either my phone or my GPS. I can also take calls using the buttons on my helmet speakers or by using the touch screen on the GPS. I wish I could figure out how to turn off the voice while navigating, I don't like it overriding my audio book.
The touch screen is glove friendly.
There are traffic features that I have yet to investigate.
The 595LM comes with both a motorcycle cradle and a cradle for use in your car so it seems it would be easy to use in both. I only use mine on my motorcycles.
The bottom line for me is that I would have returned it but I was too lazy. It was a bit of a project to get the power routed from the accessory power block to the windshield. I didn't find the time to remove the cradle and power cable from the motorcycle so I ended up keeping it. I still use it all the time and I still get frustrated with the absurd curvy roads navigation all the time.

Jimmytee
10-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Using a android head unit in the car with Sygic nav on it, excellent little android GPS app. It runs offline maps so you don't have to have a connection but if one is there it'll give updated traffic info as well. That way you could use on phone and still have directions over music if so inclined.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded the app. Will give it a whirl this weekend. It comes with a 7 day trial for the premium. Don't know what the subscription cost or what I lose once the premium trial ends. It looks promising. I downloaded the maps for the states I will most likely be in this weekend. I have driving app on my phone that gives me all the apps I want in large short cuts. Plus it gives me directs access to music on my phone etc... I have it in a cradle that is installed on my Helibars with charging. The only downside with the phone has been map availability with no phone signal and of course even with the Defender case , it isn't rain proof. It seems no matter which GPS I would choose, there are compromises from what I am accustomed to having with my phone. I'll check out the app more tonight and over the weekend. I'll make a decision after this weekend what I want to do.

dadeo
10-17-2017, 02:09 PM
GPS units all have compromises.... Thanks to Apple's latest OS 11.0.3 update, I can't get traffic on my Zumo 590... I don't know who is to blame, Apple or Garmin. So there is something to be said for the simplicity of using just the phone in and around cities. I view the newer "feature" of having to use a phone to get traffic data as a DESIGN FLAW! It was easier and more reliable with the traffic receiver in the GPS unit itself. Like my old Nuvi. Like my ancient Magellen.

F6Dave
10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Am I the only cheap guy here? I just have a Gamin Nuvi 2557LMT with a RAM mount. The entire setup costs well below $200. The unit has live traffic, a bright screen, works great with gloves, and doesn't mind the rain. The RAM Mounts are the best made. For the price it's hard to beat.

53driver
10-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Am I the only cheap guy here? I just have a Gamin Nuvi 2557LMT with a RAM mount. The entire setup costs well below $200. The unit has live traffic, a bright screen, works great with gloves, and doesn't mind the rain. The RAM Mounts are the best made. For the price it's hard to beat.

Count me amongst the "frugal."
I've got a Garmin 1490 LMT w/RAM mount on the center cubby lid.

No issues, no worries. It's a backup to my map studies.
Cheers,
Steve

olegoat345
10-17-2017, 09:10 PM
I brought a refurb TOMTOM off ebay for $70 bucks. Works great, slip a sandwich bags over it with a rubber band when it rains. Somebody steals it, I'm out $70 bucks , not hundreds $$.

No Handle Sam
10-18-2017, 01:08 PM
For what it is worth... I just ran across this site that is having a sale...

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1646/Garmin-Motorcycle-GPS.html

Jimmytee
10-20-2017, 05:50 AM
So I finally just ordered a GPS after periods of indecision. I should get it Tomorrow. This is what I settled on. Will follow up with what I think. It seemed that I could spend a lot more for the motorcycle specific GPS units, but many of the features seem to duplicate functions I already use or have. Plus, you read into the reviews and many of the reviews were not that glowing. And this after spending several hundred dollars. Many of those reviews said the older GPS units like the Garmin 550 were better. Go figure...:icon_rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1HL7AI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWS1MJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

willtill
10-20-2017, 06:00 AM
I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.

Jimmytee
10-20-2017, 06:03 AM
I think that the cheaper non-motorcycle GPS's on the market work just fine for a motorcycle. The only flaw with them is that they are not waterproof but it is easy enough (many of us do this...) keep a sandwich baggie or two in the cubbyhole box to slide over it during inclement weather.

My Magellan that I bought for 80 dollars or so from Costco is still going strong; although the power port for it is loose inside and I frequently have to reset it these days. May be looking at another "cheapie" GPS to replace it soon.

Yeah I have several friends that do the sandwich baggie thing. I elected to try this out with my purchase as I will , for the most part leave the GPS in the bike except for upgrading and or route planning.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWS1MJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dadeo
10-20-2017, 04:04 PM
With the latest update to Apple OS 11.0.3, my Garmin zumo 590 no longer can use the Garmin Smart Link app on the iphone to get traffic data.

Another argument to go the cheap route: the features that are on the more expensive units won't work anyway so why pay for them?

:banghead:

Phantom
10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Jimmy, I have some NEW (still in the factory sealed plastic envelopes) parts from Ram Mounts if you need them.

RAM-B-347U
RAM-B-201U-A
RAM-B-309-7U

And a dash quick release mount (which I believe works with a Zumo 660 without harness) Cord and dash circular plate still in bag included.

Pay for shipping $10 and it's all yours

Av8er
10-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Do these cheaper non motorcycle gps have Bluetooth to use with a sena? I haven't seen one that did but haven't looked hard either. If not, how,do you hear it while riding?

willtill
10-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Do these cheaper non motorcycle gps have Bluetooth to use with a sena? I haven't seen one that did but haven't looked hard either. If not, how,do you hear it while riding?

I don't listen to mine. I just use it as a visual.

F6Dave
10-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Even if the automotive GPS has Bluetooth, it's usually useless with a motorcycle. The ones I've seen let you pair with a phone to make hands-free calls, so BT lets the GPS become a headset substitute.

dadeo
10-23-2017, 09:37 PM

They don't.. You don't.

barender
11-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Jimmy, I have some NEW (still in the factory sealed plastic envelopes) parts from Ram Mounts if you need them.

RAM-B-347U
RAM-B-201U-A
RAM-B-309-7U

And a dash quick release mount (which I believe works with a Zumo 660 without harness) Cord and dash circular plate still in bag included.

Is that offer good to anyone? That is the setup that will work with my Zumo 660.
Thanks,
Barender

ths61
11-12-2017, 01:26 PM
They don't.. You don't.

Here are some GPS/bluetooth headset ideas.

Audio and Voice Commands:

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

Audio Only:

http://www.m-p-c.com/GPS_Bluetooth_Audio.htm

Jimmytee
11-12-2017, 02:24 PM

RAM-B-347U
RAM-B-201U-A
RAM-B-309-7U

Somehow I missed this, I actually did get what I needed already. If no one else want to take you up on that offer, I will, just to have extra options. Thanks.:icon_wink:

barender
11-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Is that offer good to anyone? That is the setup that will work with my Zumo 660.
Thanks,
Barender

Just checking to see if you still have them.

ths61
11-13-2017, 02:51 PM
So I finally just ordered a GPS after periods of indecision. I should get it Tomorrow. This is what I settled on. Will follow up with what I think. It seemed that I could spend a lot more for the motorcycle specific GPS units, but many of the features seem to duplicate functions I already use or have. Plus, you read into the reviews and many of the reviews were not that glowing. And this after spending several hundred dollars. Many of those reviews said the older GPS units like the Garmin 550 were better. Go figure...:icon_rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1HL7AI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How is the Drive 60 working for you ? The larger screen should be more glove friendly.

Jimmytee
11-13-2017, 05:15 PM
How is the Drive 60 working for you ? The larger screen should be more glove friendly.

Had my first real workout of the Drive 60 this last weekend with a trip to TN for an annual Veteran's Day Ride that Crazyhorse puts on. I had set up a route down and back plus a ride during the day on Saturday using Basecamp. I am very pleased and the 6" display does work pretty well with my gloved hand, even in the rain proof case I bought that it resides in on my bike. So far no complaints.:yes:

Not a very good picture and my bike is pretty dusty after the weekend ride. Rode several miles on some back gravel roads. Lot's of fun. This will give you an idea of how it is mounted in the case onto the cross bar of my Helibars. The picture angle is deceiving. I do have full view of the bike's LCD info screen if you were wondering.

https://i.imgur.com/aqj58ri.jpg

ths61
11-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Had my first real workout of the Drive 60 this last weekend with a trip to TN for an annual Veteran's Day Ride that Crazyhorse puts on. I had set up a route down and back plus a ride during the day on Saturday using Basecamp. I am very pleased and the 6" display does work pretty well with my gloved hand, even in the rain proof case I bought that it resides in on my bike. So far no complaints.:yes:

Not a very good picture and my bike is pretty dusty after the weekend ride. Rode several miles on some back gravel roads. Lot's of fun. This will give you an idea of how it is mounted in the case onto the cross bar of my Helibars. The picture angle is deceiving. I do have full view of the bike's LCD info screen if you were wondering.

https://i.imgur.com/aqj58ri.jpg

Looks good.

Do I see additional speakers in the left and right cubbies ?

Jimmytee
11-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Looks good.

Do I see additional speakers in the left and right cubbies ?

Thanks and yes. Those are Hertz HMX 6.5 S speakers in pods I fabricated.

https://i.imgur.com/cjctQ1f.jpg

Av8er
11-13-2017, 08:36 PM

What in the world did you need more speakers for? I always thought the factory stuff was plenty loud.

ths61
11-13-2017, 08:36 PM

Jeez, I thought you had already gone the extra mile with the Fosgate unit, but I see I was WRONG !!!

Jimmytee
11-13-2017, 08:43 PM
What in the world did you need more speakers for? I always thought the factory stuff was plenty loud.

More power to ya. :icon_wink:

No OEM stereo equipment on mine. 2 sets of Hetz speakers. JL Audio Sub, JL Audio amplifier Rockford Fosgate head unit.