PDA

View Full Version : Indian

speedjunkie
10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Traded the B in on a Springfield today. Love it! I liked the way the B handled, but the bags, & hurting my knees was too much to take.

Mike

Deerkiller
10-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Pics?

Miks
10-17-2017, 08:43 PM
That is the Indian I have considered also. Thought about a Harley "Toad King", but Harley just doesn't have a nice suspension/ride like the Indian has. I like the Springfield for the hard lockable bags, and a lighter more motorcycle type bike than having a large fairing in front of you.

speedjunkie
10-17-2017, 10:00 PM
What are we using for pic hosting these days? I'll get a good one tomorrow.

The Springfield is a very good handling bike for its size. Plus it's handles bumps & the wind like a champ! The bags & leg position are just icing on top!

The new RK is close. Suspension is much better, but not Indian better. Motor is close. Trans & primary, but not Indian better.

Mike

JackB
10-18-2017, 06:49 AM
I rented a Indian a few months back and I loved it. I thought about buying one but I love the flat 6 too much.
Good luck they are great looking ad riding bikes.

Walcrow
10-18-2017, 07:22 AM
What are we using for pic hosting these days? I'll get a good one tomorrow.

The Springfield is a very good handling bike for its size. Plus it's handles bumps & the wind like a champ! The bags & leg position are just icing on top!

The new RK is close. Suspension is much better, but not Indian better. Motor is close. Trans & primary, but not Indian better.

Mike

Mike...........

Go to www.imgur.com and sign up. Then upload your photos. To post here, open up your images and click on one of them, then on the right at the bottom is the BBCode box. Right click that box and copy it. Come over here and paste that image in the SUBMIT REPLY box. Then hit SUBMIT REPLY and it should reveal the Springfield to us.

speedjunkie
10-18-2017, 03:05 PM
https://m.imgur.com/a/56vId

Mike

BIGLRY
10-18-2017, 03:54 PM
https://m.imgur.com/a/56vId

Mike
https://i.imgur.com/TxvzM1i.jpg

Steve 0080
10-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Black and chrome...that's pretty hot !!!

Walcrow
10-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Nice choice, junkie. I tested a Springfield out last year to compare to my old 2008 Street Glide. Hands down it kicked the Harley's ass. I was tempted then, and I'm still tempted today. It is one sweet ride.:yes:

daleglide
10-18-2017, 05:23 PM
I too sold my F6B and bought a 2014 Indian Chieftain. But now that the new Gold Wing/F6B are due to be released 10/24/2017....I'm thinking. ....https://powersports.honda.com/beyond.aspx#hero-history

speedjunkie
10-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Thanks Larry, I couldn't figure it out. I was tempted to wait on the wing, but didn't expect much improvement in bags or knee bend, so went ahead.

Mike

VStarRider
10-18-2017, 06:54 PM
I rented a Indian a few months back and I loved it. I thought about buying one but I love the flat 6 too much.
Good luck they are great looking ad riding bikes.

+1

I feel the same way - the six cylinder engine is a tough one for competitors to overcome, in my opinion. I think this every time I ride it.
That being said, an Indian Chieftain is a very close #2 to the Wings.

Is that backrest a factory set up?

speedjunkie
10-18-2017, 08:55 PM
+1

I feel the same way - the six cylinder engine is a tough one for competitors to overcome, in my opinion. I think this every time I ride it.
That being said, an Indian Chieftain is a very close #2 to the Wings.

Is that backrest a factory set up?

Yep. The torque on this this is incredible. Plenty of grunt everywhere!

Mike

willtill
10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Very nice Mike. Nice bike :yes:

The fit and finish of the Indians are superb. In it's genre.. a quality product.

Verismo
10-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Happy miles, Mike!

thumper 549
10-19-2017, 04:43 AM
The biggest problem with ANY Vtwin as of right now is-
Will the company be here tomorrow?
Even HD is going to be suffering financial hardship.
Who is going to buy these archaic ancient romantic things?
Thats the question to ponder.
The old V twin lovers are retiring from the road.
Hipsters, dipsters, the live at home crowd until one is over 40 is not going to subscribe to the luxury.
In fact, even New car sales are suffering.

willtill
10-19-2017, 06:10 AM
The biggest problem with ANY Vtwin as of right now is-
Will the company be here tomorrow?
Even HD is going to be suffering financial hardship.
Who is going to buy these archaic ancient romantic things?
Thats the question to ponder.
The old V twin lovers are retiring from the road.
Hipsters, dipsters, the live at home crowd until one is over 40 is not going to subscribe to the luxury.
In fact, even New car sales are suffering.

Not as much as will the company be here tomorrow, but will the company kill the line up? Like they (Polaris) did to Victory? :shhh:

I'm waiting for Polaris to knife their Slingshot product in the back. :shock:

willtill
10-19-2017, 06:14 AM
37 thousand dollars ?? :shock: Are you kidding me?

http://i64.tinypic.com/bbmmv.jpg

speedjunkie
10-19-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm concerned about longevity too, but willing to chance it. It took me a long time to finally get the slow down and enjoy the ride mentality. Maybe someday, the millenials will too.

Yeah, it's their version of a cvo. Extra speakers, special paint, accessory floorboards, & a gauge cluster on the tank. It is pretty in person, just not 37k pretty to me!

Mike

Walcrow
10-19-2017, 08:15 AM
E........$1600
L........$1600
I........$1600
T.......$1600
E.......$1600

thumper 549
10-19-2017, 09:02 AM
a LOT Of money for two pistons and a 120 lbs TORQ !

jmdaniel
10-19-2017, 09:05 AM

As I've stated here, you won't have long to wait. But it's not a knife in the back; the product is, and always has been, a steaming turd. And occasionally, the turd catches on fire.

Walcrow
10-19-2017, 09:23 AM
As I've stated here, you won't have long to wait. But it's not a knife in the back; the product is, and always has been, a steaming turd. And occasionally, the turd catches on fire.

:bsII::bsII::bsII:

opas ride
10-19-2017, 10:23 AM
37 thousand dollars ?? :shock: Are you kidding me?

http://i64.tinypic.com/bbmmv.jpg

I recently saw a top-of-the-line CVO Harley in a magazine that had an MSRP of $42,000!!!!....They can kiss my rosy red butt cheeks....Ride safe

ths61
10-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Not as much as will the company be here tomorrow, but will the company kill the line up? Like they (Polaris) did to Victory? :shhh:

Customers have good long memories. I won't be giving Polaris another dime.

speedjunkie
10-20-2017, 05:50 AM

If I get burned or shit on, it'll be the last from me as well.

Mike

Walcrow
10-20-2017, 06:28 AM
If I get burned or shit on, it'll be the last from me as well.

Mike

Mike............

To clarify, I'm not :bsII: on Indian and your purchase, just the price they want for the Elite. There may be a few more items on the Elite than the model below it, but for the most part, it looks like they are asking $8000 more for hand applied 23ct. gold striping. At $1284.00 per ounce this morning, I can buy 6 American Gold Eagles for under $8,000.00. It also only comes in one color. Hard for me to see the marketing behind it other than there are some that have to have the most expensive model out there, regardless. Here's a nice video up the coast highway on a red Roadmaster. Report back on the Springfield with updates and PHOTOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDg6JoJxvw8

jmdaniel
10-20-2017, 08:37 AM

So a business should keep making a product that is redundant to another of their own product lines, even though the numbers aren't there; i.e. people weren't buying it?

Whew! I hope you don't have any money in the stock market, as you are really going to be disappointed in how business actually works.

Old Ryder
10-20-2017, 08:58 AM
So a business should keep making a product that is redundant to another of their own product lines, even though the numbers aren't there; i.e. people weren't buying it?

Whew! I hope you don't have any money in the stock market, as you are really going to be disappointed in how business actually works.

Victory was making money. The design and product was top of the line--it was a quality product. It was the poor support by Polaris and the sudden purchase of the Indian brand that caused them to dump Victory. I owned 2 and was a on the different boards for a few years. They had very loyal customers in spite of refusing to back their warranty. Most bikes gave very little trouble and ran forever.

They didn't even try to sell of Victory---probably because somebody else would grow the company---like they refused to do---and make them look foolish, so they just killed it off and left thousands of loyal customers and vendors up the well known waterway without any propulsion device. I sold mine and got a B about 2 years before all of that happened.

Not gonna say I will never buy an Indian---but it won't be a new one and it will have to be a heck of a deal.

ths61
10-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Victory was making money. The design and product was top of the line--it was a quality product. It was the poor support by Polaris and the sudden purchase of the Indian brand that caused them to dump Victory. I owned 2 and was a on the different boards for a few years. They had very loyal customers in spite of refusing to back their warranty. Most bikes gave very little trouble and ran forever.

They didn't even try to sell of Victory---probably because somebody else would grow the company---like they refused to do---and make them look foolish, so they just killed it off and left thousands of loyal customers and vendors up the well known waterway without any propulsion device. I sold mine and got a B about 2 years before all of that happened.

Not gonna say I will never buy an Indian---but it won't be a new one and it will have to be a heck of a deal.

You pretty well summed it up for the uninformed. You shit on your loyal customer base and you lose your loyal customer base. Simple economics. They didn't even have the professionalism to give their dealers a heads up beforehand. Their dealers had to find out the same way the customers did.

jmdaniel
10-20-2017, 01:23 PM

My best bud is a director at Polaris; it's interesting that you think they were making money on Victory, as he's told me for awhile they weren't. I guess you would know more than he does; after all, you owned 2 of them... :icon_rolleyes:

Old Ryder
10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
My best bud is a director at Polaris; it's interesting that you think they were making money on Victory, as he's told me for awhile they weren't. I guess you would know more than he does; after all, you owned 2 of them... :icon_rolleyes:

Yea--I owned 2 of them and was on the forums and talked to the guys at Daytona every year. May have even talked to your buddy, you never know. BTW---did you ever own or ride a Victory? Just curious. If you had, I think your view would be different.

It was easy to see after the purchase of Indian that all of the focus and attention was going somewhere else. Again, no support from Polaris. All of the Cross bikes AND steel frame bikes got their choice of 1 single backrest and luggage rack from Victory and the Cross bike were about 1K for the combo. It was left up to Witchdoctor and other aftermarket companies to give owners what they wanted and needed---Polaris wasn't gonna do it! Now, you can outfit an Indian Scout 50 different ways with ALL Polaris parts---bars, seats, bags with fringe and bags without fringe hard and leather--take your choice. Then you get into the Chief models and the choices explode. I remember when Victory dropped the Kingpin and started with the new Boardwalk----same bike with different tins. Now that is real promotion. :icon_rolleyes:

When you buddy said they lost money the last few years, he was probably correct in that Victory offered nothing and current lines were left to die on the vine---UNLIKE INDIAN. It is more about where you put your effort and energies. They can't build Indians fast enough and the factory can only make so many bikes per year---- I get it! That still don't make it right to the guys that owned them. Of course if you never owned one, you could never relate. JMHO as always.

VStarRider
10-20-2017, 07:45 PM
From up above, the purchase of Indian made sense for Polaris.

The Victory brand was meant to compete for HD buyers. Pretty obvious in their badging of their products, and their marketing.

HD buyers are fiercely brand loyal, and are buying an image and/or reputation as much as a motorcycle.

Victory, starting from scratch in 90s, had quite an uphill battle to make a dent in the V-twin domestic cruiser market.

Here comes Indian, with a for sale sign on it, an established name, distinctive features, offering Polaris the package they always hoped to establish with Victory (and probably would have with enough time) a brand and reputation already developed over many decades. I bet the day Polaris closed the deal to buy Indian, there was a conversation in the board room about dropping the Vic line.

jmdaniel
10-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Yea--I owned 2 of them and was on the forums and talked to the guys at Daytona every year. May have even talked to your buddy, you never know. BTW---did you ever own or ride a Victory? Just curious. If you had, I think your view would be different.

It was easy to see after the purchase of Indian that all of the focus and attention was going somewhere else. Again, no support from Polaris. All of the Cross bikes AND steel frame bikes got their choice of 1 single backrest and luggage rack from Victory and the Cross bike were about 1K for the combo. It was left up to Witchdoctor and other aftermarket companies to give owners what they wanted and needed---Polaris wasn't gonna do it! Now, you can outfit an Indian Scout 50 different ways with ALL Polaris parts---bars, seats, bags with fringe and bags without fringe hard and leather--take your choice. Then you get into the Chief models and the choices explode. I remember when Victory dropped the Kingpin and started with the new Boardwalk----same bike with different tins. Now that is real promotion.

When you buddy said they lost money the last few years, he was probably correct in that Victory offered nothing and current lines were left to die on the vine---UNLIKE INDIAN. It is more about where you put your effort and energies. They can't build Indians fast enough and the factory can only make so many bikes per year---- I get it! That still don't make it right to the guys that owned them. Of course if you never owned one, you could never relate. JMHO as always.

I've known my friend since 1985, and he's worked for Polaris for over 20 years, so yeah, I've ridden a few Victorys. Attached is a picture of the year we rode the brand new Visions, which I named the Bozo bikes, due to their appearance from the front. I'm not a V twin guy, just like I'm not a guy that sticks baseball cards in my spokes to make the vroom vroom noise, so I was never impressed with Victorys. I'm pretty sure I rode more different Victory models than you did, over the years, but is was simply because I didn't want to haul my FJR from Texas to Minnesota, just to ride. Instead, I flew up, he grabbed one from company stock, and away we went; beggars can't be choosers. They did improve substantially from the first year to the last one that I rode; a Cross Country in June of 2016. The transmissions no longer felt and sounded like the ones in the old Farmalls I drove as a young lad in Minnesota, but am I damning with faint praise? Yah, youbetcha.

https://i.imgur.com/zwv4otol.jpg

My whole point to people that piss and moan about Victorys; specifically how Polaris shut the brand down, is that it's just business. If you don't like the way business works, be sure and pull any money you may have in the stock market out, because all businesses operate the same way. Victory had less value to Polaris than Indian did, so Victory was killed off. You bought two Victorys, and that entitled you to ride two Victorys. That's it; no more and no less. You didn't have a relationship with Polaris, you weren't buddies, you simply bought two motorcycles, and were able to ride them.

I'd hate to see how the folks that whine about Victory handled their first breakup...

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/say-anything.jpg

jmdaniel
10-20-2017, 08:29 PM
From up above, the purchase of Indian made sense for Polaris.

The Victory brand was meant to compete for HD buyers. Pretty obvious in their badging of their products, and their marketing.

HD buyers are fiercely brand loyal, and are buying an image and/or reputation as much as a motorcycle.

Victory, starting from scratch in 90s, had quite an uphill battle to make a dent in the V-twin domestic cruiser market.

Here comes Indian, with a for sale sign on it, an established name, distinctive features, offering Polaris the package they always hoped to establish with Victory (and probably would have with enough time) a brand and reputation already developed over many decades. I bet the day Polaris closed the deal to buy Indian, there was a conversation in the board room about dropping the Vic line.

Thank you...

Old Ryder
10-21-2017, 06:53 AM
I've known my friend since 1985, and he's worked for Polaris for over 20 years, so yeah, I've ridden a few Victorys. Attached is a picture of the year we rode the brand new Visions, which I named the Bozo bikes, due to their appearance from the front. I'm not a V twin guy, just like I'm not a guy that sticks baseball cards in my spokes to make the vroom vroom noise, so I was never impressed with Victorys. I'm pretty sure I rode more different Victory models than you did, over the years, but is was simply because I didn't want to haul my FJR from Texas to Minnesota, just to ride. Instead, I flew up, he grabbed one from company stock, and away we went; beggars can't be choosers. They did improve substantially from the first year to the last one that I rode; a Cross Country in June of 2016. The transmissions no longer felt and sounded like the ones in the old Farmalls I drove as a young lad in Minnesota, but am I damning with faint praise? Yah, youbetcha.

https://i.imgur.com/zwv4otol.jpg

My whole point to people that piss and moan about Victorys; specifically how Polaris shut the brand down, is that it's just business. If you don't like the way business works, be sure and pull any money you may have in the stock market out, because all businesses operate the same way. Victory had less value to Polaris than Indian did, so Victory was killed off. You bought two Victorys, and that entitled you to ride two Victorys. That's it; no more and no less. You didn't have a relationship with Polaris, you weren't buddies, you simply bought two motorcycles, and were able to ride them.

I'd hate to see how the folks that whine about Victory handled their first breakup...

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/say-anything.jpg

I am not exactly sure why every one of my comments seems to get a sarcastic arrogant response. I am just trying to express my thoughts on bikes that I owned and a company I dealt with. I have my opinion and you have yours. I respect that.

I don't give a rats rectum about Polaris. I bought 2 used bikes and just made the point they were quality machines in my opinion. I sold them and did not do too badly. But I do have forum buddies that bought high dollar Magunums and Cross Countrys that got hosed big time by a company that said over and over they were not going anywhere after purchasing Indian. They feel deceived and I agree with them.

Going to the prom and getting dumped for a better person is funny to a lot of people---unless it happens to them. That is all I am saying.

jmdaniel
10-21-2017, 07:13 AM
I am not exactly sure why every one of my comments seems to get a sarcastic arrogant response. I am just trying to express my thoughts on bikes that I owned and a company I dealt with. I have my opinion and you have yours. I respect that.

I don't give a rats rectum about Polaris. I bought 2 used bikes and just made the point they were quality machines in my opinion. I sold them and did not do too badly. But I do have forum buddies that bought high dollar Magunums and Cross Countrys that got hosed big time by a company that said over and over they were not going anywhere after purchasing Indian. They feel deceived and I agree with them.

Going to the prom and getting dumped for a better person is funny to a lot of people---unless it happens to them. That is all I am saying.

Actually, you do give a rats rectum about Polaris; if you didn't, you wouldn't be here bashing them. Polaris is Victory, just like Polaris is Indian. To say you have no feelings on Polaris is simply disingenuous. And we've all been dumped by a gal, my point is that that isn't business, but what companies do with their product lines are.

Brewdog
10-21-2017, 07:35 AM
That's a nice bike and I've ridden them. The power in the Indian's engine blows the HD's out of the water.

I can't give up my six cylinder B after having 4 Harleys. Enjoy, that's a beautiful Indian.

willtill
10-21-2017, 08:22 AM
I must say that the quality fit and finish of the Indians is much better than the Victory's. They definitely have made the Indian one of their premier product lines.

I do miss my Vision.. it definitely had some quirks though... did any of you guys ever try to change out a headlight bulb on one of them? A serious pain in the azz for sure... :shhh:

53driver
10-21-2017, 08:37 AM
I've never owned either.
I don't know anyone on the "inside."
VStarRider's "30,000 Foot View" sounds VERY plausible.

I concur with the "Bozo" comment - that made me chuckle audibly.
I thought the first one I saw was the product of Arlen Ness and Picasso getting high and designing a motorcycle....
Polaris, by law, MUST support the Victory line for 10 years with parts and service.
Now, how well they actually do that is apparently another story.

Yes, the HD CVO line and the Indian "top bike" are over $40k. There IS a market for those in some quantity as I know the CVOs are moving off the floor here in PCola.

There's a lot of "disposable income" out there - next time you are in an airport magazine store, peruse a copy of The Robb Report. It's a gorgeous magazine catering to people who buy $1.2m watches, $1m cars, boats and $gagillion private jets. Yes, there is LOTS of money out there that I know I'll never see. And I'm fine with that.

Is it necessarily the market to which THIS audience caters? Not really.
Most of us are a bit more practical and while we recognize motorcycling as a hobby/toy/game - we do like the power and styling of the F6B.
And the bang for the buck ratio can't be beat.

I wish well for American companies.
I wish well for the global economy.
I wish all y'all a safe ride today.
Cheers,
Steve

VStarRider
10-21-2017, 08:49 AM
I've never owned either.
I don't know anyone on the "inside."
VStarRider's "30,000 Foot View" sounds VERY plausible.

I concur with the "Bozo" comment - that made me chuckle audibly.
I thought the first one I saw was the product of Arlen Ness and Picasso getting high and designing a motorcycle....
Polaris, by law, MUST support the Victory line for 10 years with parts and service.
Now, how well they actually do that is apparently another story.

Yes, the HD CVO line and the Indian "top bike" are over $40k. There IS a market for those in some quantity as I know the CVOs are moving off the floor here in PCola.

There's a lot of "disposable income" out there - next time you are in an airport magazine store, peruse a copy of The Robb Report. It's a gorgeous magazine catering to people who buy $1.2m watches, $1m cars, boats and $gagillion private jets. Yes, there is LOTS of money out there that I know I'll never see. And I'm fine with that.

Is it necessarily the market to which THIS audience caters? Not really.
Most of us are a bit more practical and while we recognize motorcycling as a hobby/toy/game - we do like the power and styling of the F6B.
And the bang for the buck ratio can't be beat.

I wish well for American companies.
I wish well for the global economy.
I wish all y'all a safe ride today.
Cheers,
Steve

Wow. Well said! Yes, in upstate NY, we are in a bit of bubble with a marginal private sector economy and our small to medium sized cities with limited growth. The Rochester area is about 1.1 million, with a population rate increase of about .5% per year. When I fly to different parts of the country, I see what Steve is talking about. Lots of money, lots of development (sometimes unchecked, like Texas), lots of growth.

That's great, but I will take our sputtering economy here and all the benefits that come with that, as strange as that sounds (not many traffic issues, more open space, etc).

As for our Hondas, I love that anytime I want to go for a ride, the only thing I basically think about is the ride itself. The F6B is like a microwave...you don't think about whether it will work or need anything, because it almost never does...you just think about eating the food.

adventurous1
10-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Victory was making money..

How do you know? Maybe the profit margin wasn't worth it. Maybe it was better to have all their R & D, etc., etc. put into a 'brand' (Indian). Victory wasn't a brand.

IMHO, Victory could have moved into a bobber type bikes or naked sport bikes - and completely different from Indian. Only if the #'s worked.

olegoat345
10-29-2017, 01:17 PM
In Aug. '16 II brought a new '16 chief, rode it 600 miles or so. Went in a Honda dealer to P/U a throttle rocker. I was looking at the "B's" on the floor. Young salesman said, "want to take it for a test ride?" Never been know to turn down a free ride. !0-12 miles I was ready for a "B". Couldn't make a deal w/ the dealership, brought a like new '13 Nov. '16 & I'm in love w/ it, love the loe CG, it handles like a big sports bike. Sold the Chief on ebay, May '17, only lost a grand. Chief's a okay bike but not a "B". It rode & handled okay, a bit top heavy, plenty of power, felt much heavier than the "B." At 75, I think this might be my last bike. Another note on the Chief, at the time, I also owned a '05 Yamaha 1700 Road Star, it was every bit as good a bike as the '16 Chief in everyway. It wasn't top heavy & handled better, in my opinion. My 2 cents worth.

jmdaniel
10-30-2017, 09:07 AM
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/15558/heres-why-indian-motorcycles-is-growing-while-the-competition-struggles?iid=sr-link1

nascar4401
11-25-2017, 03:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TxvzM1i.jpg
Great looking ride !!

willtill
11-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Great looking ride !!

Air cooled. Will enjoy a early death compared to our water cooled 6 banger boxers.

...but enjoy :icon_wink:

Do love the bike though. V-twins, and the rumbles associated; are the essence of what many of us are accustomed to and come from.. :icon_cool:

choptop
11-25-2017, 07:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TxvzM1i.jpg BIGLRY, do you know you have a bug ?:icon_wink:

choptop
11-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Great looking ride !! Not sure which pic I like best, the bike or the patriotic bikini clad popsicle sucking girl !

ths61
11-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Now that HD has a 117, will Indian come out with a 118 ? The last big-jug kit Victory had was 116 so it looks like HD took that into consideration with the 117.

speedjunkie
11-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Indian just released a 116" factory kit with stg 3 cams.

Mike

thumper 549
11-26-2017, 10:27 AM
So are they going to follow Harley into oblivion?
Selling bikes with so much HP left on the table?
Now you have to go back and buy the parts that should have come with the bike?
That is very devious to me and strictly a market ploy.

speedjunkie
11-26-2017, 06:48 PM
I don't know. This motor has me scratching my head. It makes more hp & tq than a stock HD, but the M8 closes that gap. Where HD shines, let her breathe, add a cam, & she really comes to life. This motor doesn't react the same. Tq goes up, but hp doesn't jump like a HD. Not sure, but it might be the intake runners, they're massive & short.

There's a kit out with headwork, cams, 117" etc, that runs about 110hp & 130tq. I can install a set of cams That do that by themselves! The only thing I've seen that increases hp numbers is boost. That tells me the heads flow, as long as they have the air. They just don't have the velocity by themselves.

I see absolutely NO reason to go big bore on this bike. I might do cams, but I'm thoroughly pleased with intake, slipons, & a good tune. It don't take long to get up to cruising speed, that's for sure!

Mike

ths61
11-26-2017, 07:59 PM
I don't know. This motor has me scratching my head. It makes more hp & tq than a stock HD, but the M8 closes that gap. Where HD shines, let her breathe, add a cam, & she really comes to life. This motor doesn't react the same. Tq goes up, but hp doesn't jump like a HD. Not sure, but it might be the intake runners, they're massive & short.

There's a kit out with headwork, cams, 117" etc, that runs about 110hp & 130tq. I can install a set of cams That do that by themselves! The only thing I've seen that increases hp numbers is boost. That tells me the heads flow, as long as they have the air. They just don't have the velocity by themselves.

I see absolutely NO reason to go big bore on this bike. I might do cams, but I'm thoroughly pleased with intake, slipons, & a good tune. It don't take long to get up to cruising speed, that's for sure!

Mike

Her you go. Fits on their 121 big jug kit as well.

https://lloydz.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/SC-Kit-825-thumb-500x500.jpg

indian-supercharger-kit (https://lloydz.com/products/supercharger-kits/indian-supercharger-kit/)

speedjunkie
11-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Yep, Lloyds & someone else posted liked 150hp, 130tq. Too much for me, but wouldn't turn down a chance to wick the throttle on one tho!

Mike

ths61
11-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Yep, Lloyds & someone else posted liked 150hp, 130tq. Too much for me, but wouldn't turn down a chance to wick the throttle on one tho!
Mike

Loydz's website said it could be bolted on in 2 hours. Would be fun but probably not very practical.

speedjunkie
11-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Not practical at all, but still a hoot if a guy & bottomless bucket of $!

Mike

thumper 549
11-27-2017, 04:37 AM
Nothing wrong with a turbo if set up right.
Read that at least twice.
Per bike platform, they look ugly as there is nowhere to hide the stuff.
Next, and the big one, if it can be bolted on in an hour or two, that the cheapest HP per dollar One will ever get!
5 to 6 grand is cheap money compared to what it takes to get real HP.
For under six Grand, that should bring out a minimum of 30 HP and Torq. Probaly a lot more.
It does not get any better than that.
The dwn side to this-
This shows that Indian like Harley is making super low compression models so as to sell more stuff later.
Thats bad- because they left all the HP at the factory on table.
Thats good- cause a turbo will bypass them and all the hype for less money and better results.
I would take a turbo in a heartbeat over Boring/stroking, head work, cams, etc, etc.
For one- the engine only makes power when you ask it.
Two- it does not have static High Comp.

woody
11-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Bolting a turbo on an antiquated V twin is like putting lipstick on a pig.

thumper 549
11-27-2017, 04:33 PM
It is whatever anyone wants.
I agree they ( V Twin) are antiquated and archaic,
Dont tell these people about Lipstick and pigs.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/113orca.htm

BIGLRY
11-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Bolting a turbo on an antiquated V twin is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Oh... I don't know about an "antiquated V twin" but on the VTX1800 V-twin a turbo really wakes up the stock engine with 160 rear wheel horse power and 140 ft-lb torque.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image10994.jpg

And the Turbo VTX1800 I have setting on the build bench is going to make 200 RWHP with a highly modded engine. I have been playing with Turbos for many yrs including, but not limited to a 1979 KZ1000, 1972 HD sportster (trying to keep up with the turbo KZ1000 and it could not). The turbo lag on the HDs is horrible and why I recommend a Magnuson Supercharger or MagnaCharger if you want to make good power from the HD tractor motor, it will make them a runner and if the engine is built right they will live for a few miles. If you must put a turbo on an HD then the only turbo I'd recommend is the 53 Series http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/ Aerocharger Variable Vane Turbo http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/ like I use on the VTX1800s with a Bell Engineering vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?products_id=4
http://www.bellengineering.net/images/products/4/mid_size/PB170032.jpg
http://i0.wp.com/aerocharger.com/wp-content/uploads/boostchart.jpg?resize=535%2C446

With this set up you don't need to run a pop off valve and the Aerocharger has very little lag and spools up fast, does not need to be tapped into the engine oil system as it is self oiled with it own oil reservoir, they are great turbos for most any engine under 2 liter imo.

ths61
11-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Oh... I don't know about an "antiquated V twin" but on the VTX1800 V-twin a turbo really wakes up the stock engine with 160 rear wheel horse power and 140 ft-lb torque.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image10994.jpg

And the Turbo VTX1800 I have setting on the build bench is going to make 200 RWHP with a highly modded engine. I have been playing with Turbos for many yrs including, but not limited to a 1979 KZ1000, 1972 HD sportster (trying to keep up with the turbo KZ1000 and it could not). The turbo lag on the HDs is horrible and why I recommend a Magnuson Supercharger or MagnaCharger if you want to make good power from the HD tractor motor, it will make them a runner and if the engine is built right they will live for a few miles. If you must put a turbo on an HD then the only turbo I'd recommend is the 53 Series http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/ Aerocharger Variable Vane Turbo http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/ like I use on the VTX1800s with a Bell Engineering vacuum adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?products_id=4
http://www.bellengineering.net/images/products/4/mid_size/PB170032.jpg
http://i0.wp.com/aerocharger.com/wp-content/uploads/boostchart.jpg?resize=535%2C446

With this set up you don't need to run a pop off valve and the Aerocharger has very little lag and spools up fast, does not need to be tapped into the engine oil system as it is self oiled with it own oil reservoir, they are great turbos for most any engine under 2 liter imo.

BigLry,

How many bikes can realistically handle these types of power increases considering the rest of the drive train and frame ?

TIA

BIGLRY
11-27-2017, 05:35 PM
BigLry,

How many bikes can realistically handle these types of power increases considering the rest of the drive train and frame ?

TIAActually quite a few of the modern scoots if you are looking for a quick kick in the butt 20 to 30 rwhp, it is the older ones pre 2000 that have weaker cranks(pressed) and god awful frames. I have had to do less suspension mod on the newer scoots to get them to handle the power verses the older flexing frames I have worked on,
But as anyone who strives for more power knows, once you build one component tougher another one will break, it is a vicious circle sometimes lol.

woody
11-27-2017, 10:28 PM
I certainly would not put all V twins in the "antiquated" basket> Take for example the Vincent top speed wise it would run rings around any stock Harley produced today. Ducati is another fine example of high tec.
Harley introduced a Drag Bike on the Australian market (not intended for road use).It was $65,000 and you could get any number of Jap 750's for less than a third of the price that would burn them over the quarter mile. They did not sell too many. As has been mentioned you should not have to spend money on a new Harley to get it to run properly. Those parts should come with standard bike.