PDA

View Full Version : The Best Just Got Better!

oldxtreme
10-23-2017, 02:18 PM
I have been debating and asking advice on windscreens and highway pegs. As one poster pointed out, you seldom see Madstads for sale but often see someone with two or three different screens up for grabs. Well, I made the leap and got the Madstad, 11 inch dark gray and the Aero flip pegs.

I am 100 % pleased with both. The 11 inch screen is just the right size for me at 5'10" and the pegs look like they are designed in the bike.

Only one thing Bad about the "Mad"! It does such a great job of controlling the buffeting that it is easy to not how fast you are going. First test ride I was cruising along listing to some Jimmy Hendrix when I passed a cop on the side of the road. He had someone pulled over.

I naturally glanced down at my speed and got real lucky because I was "in the zone" and going 50+ in a 35:yikes:

The screen really puts you in a bubble which could be trouble!:shock: And, it looks pretty futuristic, like the rest of the bike! The dark gray screen compliments the matt gray paint.

BIGLRY
10-23-2017, 04:17 PM
First test ride I was cruising along listing to some Jimmy Hendrix when I passed a cop on the side of the road. He had someone pulled over.

I naturally glanced down at my speed and got real lucky because I was "in the zone" and going 50+ in a 35:yikes:

haha... been there done that! Got lucky 4 out of 5 times, but that 5th time cost me.:icon_wink:

six2go
10-23-2017, 04:53 PM
I have been debating and asking advice on windscreens and highway pegs. As one poster pointed out, you seldom see Madstads for sale but often see someone with two or three different screens up for grabs. Well, I made the leap and got the Madstad, 11 inch dark gray and the Aero flip pegs.

I am 100 % pleased with both. The 11 inch screen is just the right size for me at 5'10" and the pegs look like they are designed in the bike.

Only one thing Bad about the "Mad"! It does such a great job of controlling the buffeting that it is easy to not how fast you are going. First test ride I was cruising along listing to some Jimmy Hendrix when I passed a cop on the side of the road. He had someone pulled over.

The screen really puts you in a bubble which could be trouble!:shock: And, it looks pretty futuristic, like the rest of the bike! The dark gray screen compliments the matt gray paint.Interesting about the Madstad. I'm on the fence because my Clearview works so well for me, but if there's something better?
Did you order anything special about the shape? Early on some guys were getting what they were calling "custom cut". Instead of the bottom edge of the screen having that slight half moon cut at the bottom, it actually followed the contour of the rubber seal of the fairing. I didn't know if one shape works better than the other. That's kinda why I have put off ordering one.

oldxtreme
10-24-2017, 12:34 PM
I got the stock 11" screen, no special cut.

I talked to Bret at Madstad about screen size and he suggested I try the 13 inch but after sitting on the bike and guessing where the screen will start, I went with the 11 inch and glad I did. I am 5'10" 30 inch inseam and ride in a slouch, not like a BMW rider that sits straight up.

All the way down, I am looking over it. If I move it up an inch I can look over it or hunker down and look through it. If I move it all the way up, I am looking through it which is what I want for heavy rain and giant bugs!

However, so far I have not had rain or bugs.

Don't know how the contoured bottom cut will look but the standard looks pretty good and it works. I would not be surprised if changing the contour on the bottom where the Madstad does its magic would change the characteristics of the airflow between the screen and faring. It may restrict some of the air flowing on the inside of the screen.

I suggest you call them to get their input. They are very helpful and I got my screen in less than a week after placing the order. Thanks to all of the input from users on this site, I am glad I got the Madstad rather than experiment with all of the variations, heights, angles, vents, etc. available for this bike.:icon_lol:

six2go
10-24-2017, 01:54 PM
I got the stock 11" screen, no special cut.

I talked to Bret at Madstad about screen size and he suggested I try the 13 inch but after sitting on the bike and guessing where the screen will start, I went with the 11 inch and glad I did. I am 5'10" 30 inch inseam and ride in a slouch, not like a BMW rider that sits straight up.

All the way down, I am looking over it. If I move it up an inch I can look over it or hunker down and look through it. If I move it all the way up, I am looking through it which is what I want for heavy rain and giant bugs!

However, so far I have not had rain or bugs.

Don't know how the contoured bottom cut will look but the standard looks pretty good and it works. I would not be surprised if changing the contour on the bottom where the Madstad does its magic would change the characteristics of the airflow between the screen and faring. It may restrict some of the air flowing on the inside of the screen.

I suggest you call them to get their input. They are very helpful and I got my screen in less than a week after placing the order. Thanks to all of the input from users on this site, I am glad I got the Madstad rather than experiment with all of the variations, heights, angles, vents, etc. available for this bike.:icon_lol:Thanks oldxtreme. Sounds like maybe this could be a Winter project. I'm only about 5'8" so I feel confident that the 11" is what I would need. By the way, where is Chagrin Falls? I'm in Ft.Wayne,IN, we may not be too far apart.

oldxtreme
10-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Ft. Wayne...you up there in the hill country! Ant hills, that is! Use to live in Coldwater O. so I know "flat"...you can see the curvature of the earth if you stand on your tiptoes!

Chagrin Falls is on the east side of Cleveland, O.

What is great about Madstad is if you get the 11 inch and it is not the right fit for you, they will take it back or custom cut what you need. When I was doing my research I did see where someone requested a 9 inch because the 11 inch was right at the vision level for this rider.