PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on the new 2018 Goldwing

2015F6B
10-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Maybe I’m misreading the specs on the Honda website, but I see that valve inspection/adjustment on the new 2018 wings will be due at 24,000 miles instead of the previous 32K. This just amazes me! With all of Honda’s automotive technology you’d think that they would have designed hydraulic valve adjusters into the new engine. These are not high RPM engines so valve float is not the issue. Hell, even Harley and the new Yamaha have hydraulic adjustment.

Haven’t read or heard anything about air cleaner replacement either. I will take a wait and see attitude on this one. With 31K on my 2015 I am now on my third air cleaner. First one I replaced at 14K and again at 30K. I feel like an old hand at it now but it still takes me three hours minimum and I don’t want another bike with the same issue.

Lastly, I’ll wait and see what the aftermarket manufacturers come up with. I tow an Aspen Classic trailer so a good hitch is important to me. Also need to see what mother Honda says about trailer towing.

These items are important to me as I do all my own routine service work and sure don't want to get involved with a dealer for valve adjustments, etc. I’ll be serious about a new bike possibly for 2019 but will have to wait and see how these issues pan out. If the new GL1800 sells well the dealers may be flooded with trade-ins of the current model, which may translate into lower trade values. This could also affect my decision on a new one. Time will tell.

druggr
10-26-2017, 08:12 AM
With all of Honda�s automotive technology you�d think that they would have designed hydraulic valve adjusters into the new engine. These are not high RPM engines so valve float is not the issue. Hell, even Harley and the new Yamaha have hydraulic adjustment.

A Honda car has lots of room under the hood. So much so that they can even pack in features like a/c.

Dave Ritsema
10-26-2017, 08:12 AM
I am sure that Honda knows that a large majority of GL1800 owners pull trailers and I am equally sure the aftermarket will be all over that as soon as the bikes are available for them to get their hands on to design hitches for the new design.

druggr
10-26-2017, 08:20 AM
I am sure that Honda knows that a large majority of GL1800 owners pull trailers and I am equally sure the aftermarket will be all over that as soon as the bikes are available for them to get their hands on to design hitches for the new design.

I've always believed that too. Honda is not stupid when it comes to marketing. They very well know a GoldWing is the F150 in the m/c world. On any given week an F150 might commute a solo driver to work, and on the weekend have a camper loaded in its bed, and have to tow a 21' boat loaded with toys for and camping stuff for a family of 4 and all their friends. The same is true for a GoldWing. Certainly, Honda expresses warning about towing and modifications in their Owner's Manual, but they also know what their customer base expects.