PDA

View Full Version : Why are most choosing snow tire

lake_carl
10-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Tittle says my question, I would think an all season or sports car tire be better?

willtill
10-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Tittle says my question, I would think an all season or sports car tire be better?

Softer rubber compound = better grip.

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm sure all grip very well and is not cause for worry.

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 09:20 AM
From Edmunds:
Dry Test Results
Home sweet home. We're back at our usual test ground at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California, for some good old dry asphalt. This is the surface we're all familiar with, so we figure we can predict the finishing order with ease: summer, all-season, then snow.

And so it is. The summer tires (actually you could also think of them as three-season tires) top the charts in acceleration (8.7 seconds), stopping distance (120 feet) and lateral acceleration (0.86g). OK, this acceleration figure isn't the best we've ever achieved with a Civic Si, but for the sake of consistency we're still using traction control for these launches.

Our all-season tire ties for top honors in the 0-60 test with another 8.7-second run, but its stopping distance and lateral grip figures sag in comparison to the summer tire, with marks of 131 feet and 0.84g, respectively. Not bad, but still second-best.

Pity the poor snow tires, as they are well and truly out of their element here. They manage a competitive 8.9-second acceleration pass to 60 mph, but the 155-foot braking runs and 0.81g lateral acceleration laps take a visible toll on the tread, which might not make it to the car's next oil change if we keep this up. And the noise they make when cruising straight and level reminds us of a lifted off-road pickup.

lake_carl
10-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Those results would be what I expect, my deeper siping snow tires put less rubber on road. Road tires use rubber to adhear to road, off road tires use siping tread to attempt to grip loose surfaces

willtill
10-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Those results would be what I expect, my deeper siping snow tires put less rubber on road. Road tires use rubber to adhear to road, off road tires use siping tread to attempt to grip loose surfaces

What tire would you rather have on a wet road?

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 10:05 AM
The snow tire does kick butt in snow and ice but:
Wet Test Results
As with the snow test, it takes a purpose-built test surface to get meaningful and accurate wet test results. What's needed is a large flat VDA with a special asphalt formulation and a water-delivery system that can maintain a uniform depth of water (the approximate thickness of a quarter), so there's a consistent coefficient of friction across the entire surface.

We find it at Arizona Proving Ground (APG) near Phoenix, formerly a Volvo facility and now branded as Ford. Its pristine micro-pool looks gorgeous on this May afternoon as the surrounding mountain peaks, little fluffy clouds and spring sunlight reflect in the glassy surface.

It turns out we can test everything to and from 60 mph here, so for brevity's sake we'll stick to a discussion of those results. Those who want to can find the 40-mph results on the accompanying charts.

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g — a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.

willtill
10-26-2017, 10:25 AM
The excerpts you are posting.. are from tests with tires installed on a car, right?

Phantom
10-26-2017, 10:27 AM
The snow tire does kick butt in snow and ice but:
Wet Test Results
As with the snow test, it takes a purpose-built test surface to get meaningful and accurate wet test results. What's needed is a large flat VDA with a special asphalt formulation and a water-delivery system that can maintain a uniform depth of water (the approximate thickness of a quarter), so there's a consistent coefficient of friction across the entire surface.

We find it at Arizona Proving Ground (APG) near Phoenix, formerly a Volvo facility and now branded as Ford. Its pristine micro-pool looks gorgeous on this May afternoon as the surrounding mountain peaks, little fluffy clouds and spring sunlight reflect in the glassy surface.

It turns out we can test everything to and from 60 mph here, so for brevity's sake we'll stick to a discussion of those results. Those who want to can find the 40-mph results on the accompanying charts.

Acceleration testing provides the first surprise, as the all-season tire trails the pack with a 15.4-second 0-60 run. The snow tire's 12.7-second effort for 2nd place is significantly better, but the summer tire tops them all with an 11.9-second performance, over 20 percent quicker than the all-season tire. In fact, the all-season tire began encountering trouble near 40 mph, where it had been only 0.4 second behind the summer tire's performance when hydroplaning and wheelspin paid a visit.

Things are much the same when braking from 60 mph. The summer tire's 157-foot stop is the shortest, the snow tires come up 2nd at 181 feet and the all-season tires lag further behind in a flurry of ABS activity on the way to a distance of 215 feet, some 58 feet longer than the summer tire.

On the wet skid pad the summer tire smokes them once more, even delivering a little tire squeal as it churns out 0.81g � a figure many car-tire combinations can't match on dry pavement. The winter tire trails with a 0.71g run characterized by noticeable squirm, presumably from the side loads acting on the numerous sipes in its snow-biased tread pattern. That said, it still bests our all-season tire, which once again brings up the rear with a disappointing 0.65g showing.

What BRAND and model tires are they testing ? There are crappy all season, summer and snow tires out there as well. Like every product ... some are superior to similar products within the same category.
Specifics please :icon_wink:

Other wise this information is coming from Russia :duck::icon_lol:

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Yes but I think it crosses borders somewhat. I think it would be hard to find a test of CTs on motorcycles. As I said all are plenty good and most likely better than a MT. It is just that this F6B forum is the only place I find that claims a snow tire has better traction over a summer tire even when not in snow. I don't find anything to make me believe that is true. Like the choice to run a CT or not it is also up to the individual as to run a snow tire or not, I chose a summer tire not because of traction but looks alone. It just happens to rated really high in the traction category but as you asked that is on a car.

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
What BRAND and model tires are they testing ? There are crappy all season, summer and snow tires out there as well. Like every product ... some are superior to similar products within the same category.
Specifics please :icon_wink:

Other wise this information is coming from Russia :duck::icon_lol:

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 all-season tires or, for $200 more, Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 high-performance summer tires, both in size 215/45R17. And Michelin builds an aftermarket snow tire in that very size, the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3.

2wheelsforme
10-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Here is the link for the Edmunds test. Next is a short statement as to what Discount Tire Direct has to say.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

Winter tires are far superior to all-season tires when it comes to driving in dry, wet, snow, sleet, and icy winter conditions. Summer tires excel in both dry and wet warm weather conditions, but become too stiff in cold weather to be able to provide reliable performance. Regardless of road conditions, once temperatures drop below 45 degrees, winter tires provide the most reliable performance over any all-season or summer tire. Winter tires are so specialized for winter that they do not perform as well in warm, dry conditions, and will likely wear very rapidly. It is recommended that you install summer or all-season tires as soon as the weather is consistently above 45 degrees.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-26-2017, 12:58 PM
This is just me doing my thing, your needs may be different.

I do NOT run a Snow tire, because I want max grip for the 90% of the time when I need it. The other 10% when it is wet I am already going slow due to conditions.
I have felt the smaller tread blocks of a snow tire flex more and I don't care for that feeling when leaned over hard in a long sweeping curve. For me the large solid section of rubber on a summer tire and holds better.

I run a Summer tires. I look at it as the more solid rubber in contact with the asphalt will give me the most DRY traction. There are enough sipes in a summer tire to give me decent wet traction and as I stated above, in wet I am already at a decreased speed and surely not scraping pegs.
I have a good amount of Car Tire experience with 3 different tires on 2 different bikes and somewhere around 80,000. miles but again this is just me and my way.

One last useless bit of info, if more tread blocks gave better traction, why do all race tires look more like slicks?

Nexen
Kumho Ecsta run flat
Yokohama ZPS

bob109
10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
This is just me doing my thing, your needs may be different.

I do NOT run a Snow tire, because I want max grip for the 90% of the time when I need it. The other 10% when it is wet I am already going slow due to conditions.
I have felt the smaller tread blocks of a snow tire flex more and I don't care for that feeling when leaned over hard in a long sweeping curve. For me the large solid section of rubber on a summer tire and holds better.

I run a Summer tires. I look at it as the more solid rubber in contact with the asphalt will give me the most DRY traction. There are enough sipes in a summer tire to give me decent wet traction and as I stated above, in wet I am already at a decreased speed and surely not scraping pegs.
I have a good amount of Car Tire experience with 3 different tires on 2 different bikes and somewhere around 80,000. miles but again this is just me and my way.

One last useless bit of info, if more tread blocks gave better traction, why do all race tires look more like slicks?
I share your thoughts on this topic. My 6 is my third cycle to wear a car tire! Like you, I've accumulated over 80K miles on the Dark Side but have never used a run-flat or snow tire. Summer thread tires with adequate "rain grooves and siping" have provided great performance and longevity, something I could never get from a Cycle Tire. My first attempt at Dark Siding was my Yamaha Stratoliner S with a Good Year Triple Thread. That tire provided acceptable performance but felt like a "cinder block" on the rear. Never did wear out the tire as I traded that bike for a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe which was quickly fitted with a Federal Summer Tire and handled so well I mounted a identical Federal after the first wore out! My 6 has been fitted with a General G-Max from almost day one of ownership. Removed the stock tire after 1100 miles and have never looked back. I'm about to install my third Max as the second Max is ready for replacement. For me, the greatest pleasure of Dark Siding is having a large array of tire thread patterns available in either standard radials or run-flats, should I choose that route.

From what I've read and digested, the move to "winter tires" was the result of a "more motorcycle tire like feeling" provided by the "stiffer run-flat side walls". That said I'll be the first to admit that single ply sidewall radial summer tires can produce some "squirm" but that is usually remedied with the "right and higher pressure" for achieving a "sweet spot"! Im my case that's usually 43PSI in the Max.

Ride Safe

bob109

willtill
10-26-2017, 03:12 PM
These last two posts now have me thinking/reconsidering my snow tire. Well... guess I'll get rid of it...

...if it EVER wears out. :icon_wink:

DMAGOLDRDR
10-26-2017, 06:01 PM
From what I've read and digested, the move to "winter tires" was the result of a "more motorcycle tire like feeling" provided by the "stiffer run-flat side walls". That said I'll be the first to admit that single ply sidewall radial summer tires can produce some "squirm" but that is usually remedied with the "right and higher pressure" for achieving a "sweet spot"! Im my case that's usually 43PSI in the Max.
Ride Safe
bob109

Bob, I was looking at the General G-Max after reading the good review you gave it but fell into a deal on the Yokohama.

bob109
10-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Bob, I was looking at the General G-Max after reading the good review you gave it but fell into a deal on the Yokohama.

You have a "good tire" in the Yokohama:039:

lake_carl
10-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Ok started this thread thinking snow tire guys wrong, now knowing how often I ride in below 45 degree days more confused than ever. My current ride elite 4 on front, with a super traction on dry contineltal on rear both today in no after spirited 50 miles warm to touch and were fun few degrees from peg dragging

willtill
10-27-2017, 05:38 AM
Ok started this thread thinking snow tire guys wrong, now knowing how often I ride in below 45 degree days more confused than ever. My current ride elite 4 on front, with a super traction on dry contineltal on rear both today in no after spirited 50 miles warm to touch and were fun few degrees from peg dragging

You can't go wrong with either a summer or winter tire on the back of your F6B. Buy the tire that predominately fits the climate/weather/riding that you're in.