PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Saddlebags

Verismo
10-29-2017, 04:14 AM
Anyone seen mention of Saddlebag size on the new Wing? One of my favorite features of the B is the ability to store both a full size and a half helmet in the left bag without forcing at all. It's so nice. I've seen a few things that say the bags are the same size and I've also seen some say they decreased a bit for aesthetics.

Anyone know if anyone has done the full helmet test?

Jason

Jimmytee
10-29-2017, 06:35 AM
Anyone seen mention of Saddlebag size on the new Wing? One of my favorite features of the B is the ability to store both a full size and a half helmet in the left bag without forcing at all. It's so nice. I've seen a few things that say the bags are the same size and I've also seen some say they decreased a bit for aesthetics.

Anyone know if anyone has done the full helmet test?

Jason

The saddlebags are smaller. Honda said to keep them larger didn't flow with new narrower lines of the bike. So I'm guessing that getting a full face helmet in the saddlebag isn't going to work.

:icon_lol: You must have a smaller head than me. My full face helmet won't fit in mine.

tiltingf6b
10-29-2017, 07:02 AM
The saddlebags are smaller. Honda said to keep them larger didn't flow with new narrower lines of the bike. So I'm guessing that getting a full face helmet in the saddlebag isn't going to work.

:icon_lol: You must have a smaller head than me. My full face helmet won't fit in mine.
I just went out and tried to put my 3/4 face schuberth in the saddlebag... no work.

Verismo
10-29-2017, 07:05 AM
I wear a medium Schuberth C3 Pro, and a medium half helmet. I put the half helmet in first, vertically and toward the rear section of the left bag, and the Schuberth goes in sitting normally, with the face shield toward the front. The lid shuts easily without any forcing. It's fantastic.

Jason

Jimmytee
10-29-2017, 07:18 AM
I wear a medium Schuberth C3 Pro, and a medium half helmet. I put the half helmet in first, vertically and toward the rear section of the left bag, and the Schuberth goes in sitting normally, with the face shield toward the front. The lid shuts easily without any forcing. It's fantastic.

Jason

I have a XXL modular. No worky.:icon_lol:

Jimmytee
10-29-2017, 07:21 AM
I just went out and tried to put my 3/4 face schuberth in the saddlebag... no work.

I can fit my Shark Half helmet in my bag. :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
10-29-2017, 07:35 AM
That is one place that I have to agree I would have liked better if Honda had made the trunk a little bigger. My understanding of the new trunk on the Gold Wing Tour is that it will supposedly just fit 2 full face helmets. I'm thinking that means 2 smaller full face helmets. :icon_rolleyes: Honda said to keep the same cargo space in the bags and trunk would have made the back of the bike look bloated (my word/ paraphrased here) Looking at the pictures of the bike, I'm thinking the trunk could have been made a little bigger without hurting the "lines" of the bike. Just my opinion.

Having learned to live with my F6B storage limitations, I really don't think I would be that adversely affected. After all. One of my saddlebags is completely used up with an amp and a subwoofer.:icon_wink: The sub can be quickly removed by unstraping it and pulling the speaker wire dual banana plug, but I really love the bass while riding down the road. So when I am traveling solo, I have a bag that goes on my passenger seat and if going for a week or more, I also have a larger Kury Grand Traveler bag that goes on the luggage rack. My wife and I are good for about 3 days with the storage and keeping the sub. Mind you , we both pack c-pap machine we use when we sleep. We have never traveled 2 up for more than 2-3 days without her just driving. Next year we may and thinking of getting a trailer to pull behind the bike.

F6B1911
10-29-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm going to guess that due to the decrease in capacity of the saddlebags and trunk, we'll see riders opt for the Goldwing over the Goldwing Tour and invest in a Bushtec trailer.

VStarRider
10-29-2017, 09:48 AM
I have a XXL modular. No worky.:icon_lol:

XXL Schuberth C3 Pro? Same helmet and size as me, and mine fits in the bag...BARELY....and it will only go in a certain way (setting helmet on open lid of bag, shield facing towards front of bike).

I often will hang it on my mirror or just bring it with me because it sometimes takes 10 tries to get the lid to shut with the helmet in there.

willtill
10-29-2017, 10:14 AM
XXL Schuberth C3 Pro? Same helmet and size as me, and mine fits in the bag...BARELY....and it will only go in a certain way (setting helmet on open lid of bag, shield facing towards front of bike).

I often will hang it on my mirror or just bring it with me because it sometimes takes 10 tries to get the lid to shut with the helmet in there.

I wish I could lock up my helmet. Just won't fit.

I don't leave it on my bike anymore... once (long time ago) someone dumped a soft drink into my helmet. :icon_rolleyes: Now I take my helmet with me if I'm ever out of eyesight of my bike. It's a P.I.T.A. but better than a nasty helmet... or coming back and seeing no helmet at all... :shock:

Verismo
10-29-2017, 04:27 PM

This is the same method I use. You only have to fidget with the lid a couple of times to find the right location for the helmet. It's kind of in the middle of the bag, shield forward, if I'm remembering right. However, I only had to fidget with the first time, and now that I know, it goes right in its spot. Probably to do with the relative size of the helmet in question.

Jason

Circle-5
10-29-2017, 04:38 PM
The Honda tech assured me that NO full-face helmet would ever fit in the 2018 saddlebags. The Tour trunk is supposed to accommodate two helmets, as long as they are canted toward each other, with visor facing the rear. At XXXL, I have a really big head (like so many in Hollywood), so I'm happy just finding a helmet that fits. Keeping it locked up would be fantastic, but that's never going to happen.

Verismo
10-29-2017, 04:55 PM
The Honda tech assured me that NO full-face helmet would ever fit in the 2018 saddlebags. The Tour trunk is supposed to accommodate two helmets, as long as they are canted toward each other, with visor facing the rear. At XXXL, I have a really big head (like so many in Hollywood), so I'm happy just finding a helmet that fits. Keeping it locked up would be fantastic, but that's never going to happen.

Noooooo, that suuuuuuuucks. Man that's a bummer. Oh well, I'll still enjoy test riding the new DCT, but this is yet another reason to hold on to my machine for a good long while.

Jason

jm21ddd15
10-29-2017, 05:55 PM
I sometimes hang my helmet on the mirror, but I wipe the mirror off 1st, so the smashed bug guts don't end up inside my helmet. But, my Shoei Neotec will fit inside my bags, too.

Jimmytee
10-29-2017, 06:11 PM

NO it's not a Schuberth