PDA

View Full Version : Rally out west

shortleg0521
11-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Has there been any movement on the Rally out west Yet?
Just need to make plans and start packing!

willtill
11-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Has there been any movement on the Rally out west Yet?
Just need to make plans and start packing!

Packing now? :shock: You know my wife? :icon_lol:

shortleg0521
11-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Packing now? :shock: You know my wife? :icon_lol:

She,s the one that told me to get started!

choptop
11-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Decisions, decisions east or west of the Mississippi. Can not do both.

F6B1911
11-05-2017, 08:30 AM

You can do anything you want to do.....
Especially if the dates are strategically set, hit the east rally, then head west to the other side of the Mississippi.
Unless the west coast rally dates are before the Cherokee rally, then the opposite.

I have a boat load of great excuses you can use to get off enough time to hit both.

shortleg0521
11-05-2017, 08:52 AM
You can do anything you want to do.....
Especially if the dates are strategically set, hit the east rally, then head west to the other side of the Mississippi.
Unless the west coast rally dates are before the Cherokee rally, then the opposite.

I have a boat load of great excuses you can use to get off enough time to hit both.

It will depend on the dates.
We need dates for both. West has not got dates, place and time.
Let's get going folks!

choptop
11-05-2017, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=F6B1911;159480]You can do anything you want to do.....

I have a boat load of great excuses you can use to get off enough time to hit both.[/QUOTE

Have all the time in the world off, my concern would be the 4,000 miles on the bike or the gas trailering it, the sciatic thing would not do well...:yikes:

choptop
11-05-2017, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=F6B1911;159480]You can do anything you want to do.....

I have a boat load of great excuses you can use to get off enough time to hit both.[/QUOTE

Have all the time in the world off, my concern would be the 4,000 miles on the bike or the gas trailering it, the sciatic thing would not do well...:yikes: And I have written down every excuse I have ever used ... oops, double post.:icon_doh:

3Chief
11-06-2017, 02:53 AM
My normal road tripping com-padres seem to be baling on our summer trip so hopefully the rallies are scheduled close enough for one massive trip...and work cooperates :icon_mrgreen:

Phantom
11-06-2017, 08:16 AM
As posted before ..... August 22 - 26 somewhere in Colorado.
Details have not been ironed out, when they become available, we will post them.

blackmetoc
01-14-2018, 09:02 AM

I have never ridden out there, so I am taking the time to do so. I may not be able to stay the whole time (leave dependent), but I am really interested in doing the western ride.

Az Wingrider
01-14-2018, 09:44 AM
I was under the impression that the details were pretty well set. The western rally would be in Cortez, Colorado August 22-26 and the hosting hotel would be the Super 8. A bunch of us have already reserved rooms. If things have changed I would appreciate someone letting me know.

choptop
01-14-2018, 09:47 AM
I have never ridden out there, so I am taking the time to do so. I may not be able to stay the whole time (leave dependent), but I am really interested in doing the western ride.

Never been out their myself, that's why I chose it over the "East Rally", will probably reserve a room for the other rally, just in case plans change. Some one said it is the monsoon:yikes: season in Co, during the time we are their ?

Phantom
01-14-2018, 10:36 AM
I was under the impression that the details were pretty well set. The western rally would be in Cortez, Colorado August 22-26 and the hosting hotel would be the Super 8. A bunch of us have already reserved rooms. If things have changed I would appreciate someone letting me know.

My above quote was from early November before the details were finalized.

You are correct .... Colorado Rally is is Cortez ... August 22-26:icon_cool::yes:

willtill
01-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Never been out their myself, that's why I chose it over the "East Rally", will probably reserve a room for the other rally, just in case plans change. Some one said it is the monsoon:yikes: season in Co, during the time we are their ?

Look at this weather data below for Cortez, Colorado from last year:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/cortez/colorado/united-states/usco0487/2017/8

It did not seem "monsoon'ish" during the month of August....

LA Weld
01-14-2018, 11:34 AM

I am planning on heading out to Cortez on the Sunday Aug 19 hit Dallas, roam around and make my way to Albuquerque by Tuesday and into Cortez on Wednesday. All dependent on weather and work BS as we know things get screwed up with too much planning.
I have done my share of water rides and kinda try to not participate with precipitation, just getting kinda finicky in my trips.
I see taking my time up and riding Colorado for 2 1/2 days as Albuquerque is only a few hour from Cortez and heading back on Saturday with a burr under my saddle.

Plan B push the button on Tuesday am and burr ride up for a Thursday arrival and leave to come back on Sunday..

Will firm it up sooner than later and make reservations next week.

F6Bster
01-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Some one said it is the monsoon:yikes: season in Co, during the time we are their ?
Monsoon season usually runs Early July to late August, but you can never predict how it will be. Even then, it is usually clear blue skies in the morning, clouds start building just before noon, and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. (We call this Colorado Forecast #1.). Often they will miss you, but if not they can be gully-washers. But usually it is scattered (except for 2017).

If projected, ride early!!!!!

dadeo
01-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Monsoon season sounds like the whole summer on the east coast.. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty much the norm.

Ewreck
01-14-2018, 06:42 PM
It's the hail you need to sweat, especially on a bike. You can get golf ball size literally out of nowhere. If pics were easy to load I'd show you a few small ones we had in June.

Az Wingrider
01-14-2018, 06:44 PM
I do a lot of riding in Colorado in the summertime and I was there in late August of last year and I don't think weather is an issue. You might encounter an occasional thunderstorm but overall it is a great time to ride. the Cortez area averages 1.5 inches in the month of August and the whole area of the San Juan Mountains is about the same. The average daytime high temperature is in the mid 80's around Cortez and the higher elevations are cooler.

If you bring rain gear it is definitely not going to rain, so just pack rain gear and enjoy the riding. I would definitely bring warm clothing and just enjoy some of the best riding anywhere. If you haven't been to the San Juan Mountains area of Colorado you are in for a treat.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in August

blackmetoc
02-08-2018, 06:59 PM
I do a lot of riding in Colorado in the summertime and I was there in late August of last year and I don't think weather is an issue. You might encounter an occasional thunderstorm but overall it is a great time to ride. the Cortez area averages 1.5 inches in the month of August and the whole area of the San Juan Mountains is about the same. The average daytime high temperature is in the mid 80's around Cortez and the higher elevations are cooler.

If you bring rain gear it is definitely not going to rain, so just pack rain gear and enjoy the riding. I would definitely bring warm clothing and just enjoy some of the best riding anywhere. If you haven't been to the San Juan Mountains area of Colorado you are in for a treat.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in August

I also won't wash the bike, so that should also keep the rain away!