PDA

View Full Version : The "Scrape Club"

Phantom
11-15-2017, 04:54 PM
:shrug:

Sometimes, you just have to scratch an itch ...

I am guilty, scraping is nothing to be scared of :icon_cool:

Any others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MlK5VPZ84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cILWQIjXTd0

willtill
11-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Sadly... this one club I cannot be a member of.

I cringe when my F6B scrapes. :shhh:

Jimmytee
11-15-2017, 09:06 PM
I've repainted my heat shields twice and they need it done again.:icon_wink:

Titanium pucks help my pegs

Won't bother replacing these mounts for my highway pegs.

https://i.imgur.com/ChDNLn4.jpg

jimsol1
11-15-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm with you Will.

Sorcerer
11-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Well I sort of one upped them. I’ve scraped the the top of the break and clutch reservoirs and the top of the passenger back rest along with the top of the dash.

bob109
11-16-2017, 03:55 AM
No sparks here! I ride like the "Old Man" I am:icon_lol:

gregj
11-16-2017, 08:00 AM
No sparks, but the acorn nuts on the pegs are no longer acorn nuts. :icon_twisted:

Rickc
11-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Never have scraped anything but the bottom of my foot.

jmdaniel
11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm with Will; probably comes from my upbringing. If I broke my toys, they stayed broken, and didn't get replaced.

opas ride
11-16-2017, 04:25 PM
No sparks here! I ride like the "Old Man" I am:icon_lol:

Even when I was younger I never remember scraping the pegs/boards on any of my bikes...Now at almost 78 I don't even think about trying!!...Seems kinda foolish to me and really serves no purpose other than to land yourself and bike on the pavement...Ride safe

3Chief
11-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Even when I was younger I never remember scraping the pegs/boards on any of my bikes...Now at almost 78 I don't even think about trying!!...Seems kinda foolish to me and really serves no purpose other than to land yourself and bike on the pavement...Ride safe

I'm jealous and needing to up my skill evidently. After getting the Traxxion Full Monty I don't think I've scraped once and I've had her over hard a few times...I don't really want to scrape but would like to get my skills closer to those displayed.

Jimmytee
11-16-2017, 07:40 PM
These bikes run out of cornering clearance fast. They are really easy to scrape pegs. Good riding technique can reduce scraping. The suspension upgrades I did have improved things, but ride in the twisties hard enough and these bikes start grinding hard parts. :icon_biggrin:

Hoping that when the time comes and I am ready to upgrade to a new Wing that the new ones have more clearance.

https://i.imgur.com/gLoUnJ9.jpg

willtill
11-16-2017, 08:34 PM
These bikes run out of cornering clearance fast. They are really easy to scrape pegs. Good riding technique can reduce scraping. The suspension upgrades I did have improved things, but ride in the twisties hard enough and these bikes start grinding hard parts. :icon_biggrin:

Hoping that when the time comes and I am ready to upgrade to a new Wing that the new ones have more clearance.

They certainly do. That is the only thing I really dislike about the F6B. I can't ride it in the twisty's like I can ride other bikes (that I've had in the past). But I'm keeping it because there are so many more positives over other bikes (that I have had in the past).

ths61
11-17-2017, 02:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKw6c9aTJ0

willtill
11-17-2017, 06:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKw6c9aTJ0

That is my FAVORITE tune when I am creeping along through a busy shopping center parking lot :icon_lol: I turn it up... :icon_mrgreen:

Heatnbeat
11-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Opas ride, you just need to kick your game up a bit.
One of the local guys is 78 and riding a couple year old Aprillia.
He's riding the new one because he crashed his last one. Yeah, crashed at 150 mph during a track day at age 74!
My brother asked him about the hospital bills (Huge!!!) and he said the insurance covered it because track days were considered educational. When asked if it was educational, what had he learned he replied "Don't get off at 150!"
So Opa there's hope yet.😄

willtill
11-18-2017, 05:38 AM
He's riding the new one because he crashed his last one. Yeah, crashed at 150 mph during a track day at age 74!
My brother asked him about the hospital bills (Huge!!!) and he said the insurance covered it because track days were considered educational. When asked if it was educational, what had he learned he replied "Don't get off at 150!"

:icon_lol: Very good.

RodsF6
11-18-2017, 10:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XLJNLpzxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAAtrz8RG4

This guy was legend around here. People hired him to film them riding the Gap.I think he has the record for the most consecutive trips through Deals Gap ........:icon_biggrin:

VaBob
11-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Was a legend? Did something happen to him or is there someone better?

RodsF6
11-18-2017, 10:42 AM
He was NEVER the fastest ........ But on a Wing or any other big touring bike I would have to say YES !

http://motonetworks.com/legend-yellow-wolf-fastest-man-deals-gap/

Jimmytee
11-18-2017, 10:50 AM

He had a bad accident. He no longer rides. He still does the Dragon but in a Nissan Z. He drives a truck for a living.

opas ride
11-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, but I would like to ride a few more years if possible..There are so many "crazies" on the roads as it is and I don't need to take any greater risks than I am doing currently, and trying to "scrape the pegs" is not very high on my priority list!! I am one of the fortunate ones that has never been down in over 50 years of riding and try to keep it that way by not taking unnecessary risks....Regards and ride safe

motozeke
11-22-2017, 02:52 PM
When parts start scraping (and if it isn't my pegs it's the kickstand expander that grinds) I just back off a little and am more mindful of my entry line & speed. That's fast enough, for me anyway.

StillLine
11-26-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't scrap the pegs on the F6B nearly as often as I did on my Valkyrie Tourer. I minimize scraping through weight transfer and smoothness. That said, when I ride with others, even those on sportbikes, I caution them to ride their own ride. Trying to keep up with me in the curves can lead to undesirable consequences depending on their skill level and experience.

Hoff
11-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Yep, I scrape. Sometimes I even try to scrape, but not that often. Usually when it does it's just time. I wore about a 1/2" off the outer edges of my boots on one ride. lol

crossbowme
11-28-2017, 06:13 PM
I too am cautious when I start to scrape. For me, it's a warning note that I need to relook my entry. I want to go thru the curve fast but I want it to be graceful not catastrophic. That's not to say I didn't deliberately scrape my pegs after I redid my suspension.:shock:

Jimmytee
11-28-2017, 08:27 PM
I too am cautious when I start to scrape. For me, it's a warning note that I need to relook my entry. I want to go thru the curve fast but I want it to be graceful not catastrophic. That's not to say I didn't deliberately scrape my pegs after I redid my suspension.:shock:

There is nothing "catastrophic" going on when I scrape hard parts. Just good ol' fun. I practice my riding techniques, but this bike ,as good as she handles, runs out of cornering clearance pretty quick. If you are riding quickly enough, you will scrape parts. That's why I put the titanium pucks on my foot pegs so there is also a show. :icon_biggrin:

crossbowme
11-29-2017, 04:36 AM
There is nothing "catastrophic" going on when I scrape hard parts. Just good ol' fun. I practice my riding techniques, but this bike ,as good as she handles, runs out of cornering clearance pretty quick. If you are riding quickly enough, you will scrape parts. That's why I put the titanium pucks on my foot pegs so there is also a show. :icon_biggrin:

That's pretty cool!

InvictusF6B
12-11-2017, 04:03 AM
Hi guys, I cut my teeth on sport bikes years ago and all of the training that I acquired along the way has come with me to the F6B. Ive attended Keith Codes super street bike school, Lee Parks's Total Control courses as well as a handful of others through the years. with that said, Im no Valentino Rossi but I can pilot a motorcycle through any turn at a respectable speed while maintaining the ability to react to changes in road conditions and the occasional idiot driving left of center. I would argue that your suspension is practically useless when you're scraping hard parts. An unloaded suspension can lead to low and highsides or even stand the bike up in a turn and lead to you running out of road and in to disaster. Although sparks look cool, they are likely signs that your body position needs work. what I mean is the more of you that is on the inside of the turn, the less the bike has to lean into the turn. This "body off" technique gains you more ground clearance and more importantly suspension travel. You certainly won't master this from reading my ramblings but I highly recommend attending a riding course (Its not just for the sport bike guys ya know) it WILL improve your riding. just my two cents.26028

Jimmytee
12-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Hi guys, I cut my teeth on sport bikes years ago and all of the training that I acquired along the way has come with me to the F6B. Ive attended Keith Codes super street bike school, Lee Parks's Total Control courses as well as a handful of others through the years. with that said, Im no Valentino Rossi but I can pilot a motorcycle through any turn at a respectable speed while maintaining the ability to react to changes in road conditions and the occasional idiot driving left of center. I would argue that your suspension is practically useless when you're scraping hard parts. An unloaded suspension can lead to low and highsides or even stand the bike up in a turn and lead to you running out of road and in to disaster. Although sparks look cool, they are likely signs that your body position needs work. what I mean is the more of you that is on the inside of the turn, the less the bike has to lean into the turn. This "body off" technique gains you more ground clearance and more importantly suspension travel. You certainly won't master this from reading my ramblings but I highly recommend attending a riding course (Its not just for the sport bike guys ya know) it WILL improve your riding. just my two cents.26028

:icon_lol:

I would love to have to go through one of Keith Codes classes.

I've at least watched the Twist of the Wrist videos.:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

I do practice the fundamentals every time I ride. Been doing so for years.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. However, as stated before, these bikes run out of cornering clearance pretty quickly . Yes all the factors that go into piloting a motorcycle properly though corners help in doing so safer and will improve your speed through corners before "scraping". But you are going to scrape at some point if your speed is fast enough. I don't care who you are or how much "English " you throw at the bike. You could argue that at that point you are going too fast. Well that might be more of an effective argument. I'll leave that to one's personal discretion. :icon_rolleyes: I always tell people "Ride Your Own Ride"

InvictusF6B
12-11-2017, 03:01 PM
:icon_lol:

I would love to have to go through one of Keith Codes classes.

I've at least watched the Twist of the Wrist videos.:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

I do practice the fundamentals every time I ride. Been doing so for years.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. However, as stated before, these bikes run out of cornering clearance pretty quickly . Yes all the factors that go into piloting a motorcycle properly though corners help in doing so safer and will improve your speed through corners before "scraping". But you are going to scrape at some point if your speed is fast enough. I don't care who you are or how much "English " you throw at the bike. You could argue that at that point you are going too fast. Well that might be more of an effective argument. I'll leave that to one's personal discretion. :icon_rolleyes: I always tell people "Ride Your Own Ride"

Very well Jimmytee, I think it goes without saying that there is a speed at which the B will inevitably run out of clearance, nonetheless I agree. I've found that most riders can't out ride the capabilities of their machines (myself included). Sometimes we just cant get out of our own way I suppose but you are clearly the exception and I would jump at the opportunity to learn from you :bowdown:. Have fun be safe and ride your ride, Im sure Kuryakyn wont mind :icon_wink:

lake_carl
12-11-2017, 05:11 PM
I have scraped pegs few times, sometimes going harder than I thought and couple when going faster in poorly planned corner every time been delighted that this bike handles adjustments very forgiving easy and certainly will do more than I feel like riding it

Jimmytee
12-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Very well Jimmytee, I think it goes without saying that there is a speed at which the B will inevitably run out of clearance, nonetheless I agree. I've found that most riders can't out ride the capabilities of their machines (myself included). Sometimes we just cant get out of our own way I suppose but you are clearly the exception and I would jump at the opportunity to learn from you :bowdown:. Have fun be safe and ride your ride, Im sure Kuryakyn wont mind :icon_wink:

:icon_rolleyes: There is no need to get snarky. :duck:

I also didn't claim to be the " be all there is" rider with no room for improvement. I think I was clear that I would love to be able to do one of the Keith Code's schools and there was no sarcasm meant in that.

In contrary , you made it quite clear your "qualifications" to offer your opinion. To which I didn't respond with the sarcasm you did. But that's ok.

That being said, I also told you I agreed with much of what you stated. So I am a bit confused by the attitude in your response.:shrug:

I just happen to disagree with your inference that if one is scraping, they aren't doing something right.

I'm sorry, but everyone knows one of these bike's limitations is cornering clearance and ALL I did was point that out.

My tires tell the story, worn bald to the edges with tread in the center. It's not bragging, just the truth. I'm not exceptional. I just practice and enjoy spirited riding. :icon_wink: Hope we can share some wind some day. I would love to make the rally in Colorado next year but don't know if it's possible yet.

https://i.imgur.com/ObHpgAx.jpg

F6Bster
12-11-2017, 07:15 PM
... I would love to make the rally in Colorado next year but don't know if it's possible yet.
And most of us would sure like to see you out in Colorado for the rally, or if you can’t make it, then sometime in the future.

Back to this thread. In my younger years the “chicken strips” pretty much did not exist on my tires. But now my riding is much less spirited. Now when I ride many of the great roads in Colorado I notice that I see much more scenery that I didn’t even know existed. You really see much more at a more leisurely pace. Glad I’ve been able to do both.

Different days...Different times...Different riding!

grendl
12-20-2017, 07:34 PM
And most of us would sure like to see you out in Colorado for the rally, or if you can’t make it, then sometime in the future.

Back to this thread. In my younger years the “chicken strips” pretty much did not exist on my tires. But now my riding is much less spirited. Now when I ride many of the great roads in Colorado I notice that I see much more scenery that I didn’t even know existed. You really see much more at a more leisurely pace. Glad I’ve been able to do both.

Different days...Different times...Different riding!

+1 on this one. I have realized that I am not as fast(reflexes) eye are no longer what they were,so I accommodate by slowing down a bit. Still happy that I can ride and remember when but dont often tell how things used to be.To the 'youngsters' out there they are just 'ol man stories' Many great memories though. ..and riding around Colorado there is much beauty to see that is missed with the tunnel vision of speed.
I've had my fun.
ENJOY !!!

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Probably been said but I added drop floor boards to my B which helped comfort value but added a scrape alert that goes off in the slightest of corners.
I'm aggressive by nature so -
Maybe they keep me in check? :icon_rolleyes:

Ericb445
12-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Last I know he crashed on the Dragon. He is recovered and not riding anymore.

willtill
12-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Last I know he crashed on the Dragon. He is recovered and not riding anymore.

Play with the fire and you will eventually get burned :shhh:

That guy could certainly ride. Not sure why he crashed... the one variable that none of us can control on the dragon is oncoming traffic. :shock:

Sorcerer
12-26-2017, 08:32 AM
He was doing a early morning run when he crashed. From what was sead he hit sand that he didn’t see in the shadows of a turn and washed out the front tire. Ride the edge, sooner or later you will fall off.

Monk
12-27-2017, 10:51 AM

I would have to agree with what you are saying. My bike has its limits and when those limits are exceeded then parts will start hitting the pavement. Good techniques can and will give a rider more, but even that can be exceeded. Sometimes the right wrist can get carried away. :icon_lol: