PDA

View Full Version : Riding Pants for Short Legs

F6Dave
11-24-2017, 04:49 PM
I went to a Black Friday sale at a motorcycle accessory store today looking to buy riding pants. I have an Olympia mesh jacket that works great. Unfortunately I have a fairly short inseam so the pants in my waist size were way too long. It doesn't look easy to shorten the length, so I'm wondering if any other riders had the same problem, and how they solved it.

shortleg0521
11-24-2017, 05:11 PM
I have the same problem my friend. We know there are some that complain
their too short. I would be willing to bet there are more of us little guys .
It is almost impossible to shorten ridding pants because of the zippers
and such.
Only good thing here is that when ridding it,s good to have your pants long.

Sorcerer
11-24-2017, 05:15 PM
I to have a short inseam, on a good day 29” inseam. Tour Master makes short, medium and tall. I ware a short in tour master pants.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-25-2017, 08:25 AM
I get this question a lot because I have had a long set of riding pants for sale for some time now and many ask if they can be shortened.

The issue with shortening riding pants is the knee protection will not be where it is needed and make it very uncomfortable to bend you knees.
Try them on or make sure you can return them if buying on line.

WEGI
11-25-2017, 08:50 AM
I went to a Black Friday sale at a motorcycle accessory store today looking to buy riding pants. I have an Olympia mesh jacket that works great. Unfortunately I have a fairly short inseam so the pants in my waist size were way too long. It doesn't look easy to shorten the length, so I'm wondering if any other riders had the same problem, and how they solved it.

Hi F6Dave

I saw a video from Revzilla about riding pants with a six inch cuff below the zipper that can be altered. Unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer! Maybe you can email them and get the information.
I have a 29-30 inch and inseam and have Sliders from Competion Accessories that come in short.
Good luck with your search.

Weg

ShanghaiDan
11-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Get creative! I usually wear Bilt kneepads (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-charger-knee-guards) under my Duluth 5 pocket firehose pants (https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/86125.aspx?processor=content). That was what I was wearing during my last off (4 years ago - run off the road on a corner by an oncoming HD rider who drifted into my lane). I went down on pavement at 40 MPH, slid quite a ways (I am a heavy guy, too - at 310 pounds). Tore through the knees of the jeans, ripped up a bit of the hips and rear pockets - and ground down about half the plastic on the kneepads under the jeans. Walked away with zero road rash.

When I'm on the bike, they are comfortable. When I'm off, they are comfortable - and invisible. Love those pads!

crossbowme
11-25-2017, 01:31 PM
I to have a short inseam, on a good day 29” inseam. Tour Master makes short, medium and tall. I ware a short in tour master pants.

X2

willtill
11-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Get creative! I usually wear Bilt kneepads (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-charger-knee-guards) under my Duluth 5 pocket firehose pants (https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/86125.aspx?processor=content). That was what I was wearing during my last off (4 years ago - run off the road on a corner by an oncoming HD rider who drifted into my lane). I went down on pavement at 40 MPH, slid quite a ways (I am a heavy guy, too - at 310 pounds). Tore through the knees of the jeans, ripped up a bit of the hips and rear pockets - and ground down about half the plastic on the kneepads under the jeans. Walked away with zero road rash.

When I'm on the bike, they are comfortable. When I'm off, they are comfortable - and invisible. Love those pads!

I like your idea. Am going to review those pads. I don’t wear riding pants but do the Duluth stuff. Thanks for the idea. :yes:

F6Dave
11-28-2017, 10:52 AM
I may try the knee pads, too. Even some of the pads you buy in the safety gear area of Home Depot would be better than nothing.

ReserveBum
11-29-2017, 08:05 AM
I may try the knee pads, too. Even some of the pads you buy in the safety gear area of Home Depot would be better than nothing.

Bohn Under Armour....gives you a thin, lightweight layer to house your knee pads. Also has pockets for hip pads. Does not make it too hot under jeans

WEGI
11-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Bohn Under Armour....gives you a thin, lightweight layer to house your knee pads. Also has pockets for hip pads. Does not make it too hot under jeans

Yup, I agree...I'm an ATGATT rider and Bohn Armor is part of my gear. I use knee, hip, and tailbone protection. I ride in Florida all year with them under my mesh Sliders riding pants. Cooler than jeans.

WEG

crossbowme
12-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Anybody use airbag vests with their gear?

Rickc
12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Yup, I agree...I'm an ATGATT rider and Bohn Armor is part of my gear. I use knee, hip, and tailbone protection. I ride in Florida all year with them under my mesh Sliders riding pants. Cooler than jeans.

WEG

Which Bohn product do you have the Bohn All Seasons or the Cool-Air-Mesh?
I'm trying to decide if the All Seasons would be too warm in the summer.

ShanghaiDan
12-01-2017, 02:17 PM
I tried the Bohn gear once, but it was pretty darn tight, an extra layer - and no fly! PITA to take down when I had to use the facilities... So I ended up with either my solution above or an Olympia Avenger mesh suit (which I wear for longer rides, or when I want to wear shorts/t-shirts when I arrive somewhere).

WEGI
12-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Which Bohn product do you have the Bohn All Seasons or the Cool-Air-Mesh?
I'm trying to decide if the All Seasons would be too warm in the summer.

Hi Rickc;

I have the all season ones. The stuff is fairly cool although the "cool Air" is probably cooler! I'm in Florida and it's hot in the summer, but mesh riding pants and jacket with the Bohn Armor isn't that bad as long as you are moving to get the breeze flow through.
The comment about no fly is right and you do need to pull down the front to "go". The part that sold me on Bohn Armor is the armor doesn't move around like in riding pants. I figure if I am going to wear protection it should be able to do its job when/if needed. IMHO of course. Others have different ways of addressing their gear or lack of it. I'm OK with that...

WEG

Rickc
12-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Hi Rickc;

I have the all season ones. The stuff is fairly cool although the "cool Air" is probably cooler! I'm in Florida and it's hot in the summer, but mesh riding pants and jacket with the Bohn Armor isn't that bad as long as you are moving to get the breeze flow through.
The comment about no fly is right and you do need to pull down the front to "go". The part that sold me on Bohn Armor is the armor doesn't move around like in riding pants. I figure if I am going to wear protection it should be able to do its job when/if needed. IMHO of course. Others have different ways of addressing their gear or lack of it. I'm OK with that...

WEG

Thanks WEG!

HBWinger
12-10-2017, 05:05 PM
I have an inseam of 27 inches and have had to have all of my pants altered. Any good seamstress can do it and move the knee pads where they need to be. The cost almost doubles the price of the pants so make sure you get the pants on sale.

MisterB
12-11-2017, 02:18 AM
Get creative! I usually wear Bilt knee pads (https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-charger-knee-guards)under my Duluth 5 pocket firehose pants (https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/work-pants-for-men/86125.aspx?processor=content). That was what I was wearing during my last off (4 years ago - run off the road on a corner by an oncoming HD rider who drifted into my lane). I went down on pavement at 40 MPH, slid quite a ways (I am a heavy guy, too - at 310 pounds). Tore through the knees of the jeans, ripped up a bit of the hips and rear pockets - and ground down about half the plastic on the kneepads under the jeans. Walked away with zero road rash.

Thanks for that! Do you wear anything under the Bilt pads?
Also, do you size your Duluth for your normal size or larger to accommodate the pads?

ShanghaiDan
12-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks for that! Do you wear anything under the Bilt pads?
Also, do you size your Duluth for your normal size or larger to accommodate the pads?

Nothing under. They are comfortable enough for me. Well - to be honest, I do have Dainese Fulcrum C2 boots that come up mid-calf, and so the lower 1/4 of the pads are on top of my boots.

Normal size pants - none of those "skinny jeans" for me! The leg seems to fit fine as-is. I love the Duluth gear, being a man of "stature" with big thighs and calves, and their jeans/pants just fit fine. Even with the pads underneath!

stevenolts
12-11-2017, 01:35 PM
I have Dainese pants and they work for short legs because the ankle is tight.
They are very expesive but top quality.

Dainese Alien Leather Winter / fall Great pants

Dainese New Drake Air fall / summer

Dainese Drake super Air summer

----------------------------------------------

My choice at this time (I did have to add an extra snap for when using gym shoes in summer)
Klim Latitude all year rain or shine great pants for all conditions summer / winter / rain or shine
these replace all the Daines above

Stevenolts

dadeo
12-16-2017, 08:54 PM
I have an inseam of 28 inches and a tall torso that gets me to 5'8". I bump the ceiling in most cars and have to push the seat forward to almost its closest setting....

Back to motorcycle gear.... I shop at Motorcyclegear.Com because they keep the size charts up to date, provide good fitment reviews, and fairly reasonable prices. They also have a fantastic return policy if it does not fit.
I've found myself repeatedly buying Joe Rocket, FirstGear and Tour Master over the years because they stock short leg pants that zip to jackets that also fit over my 38+ inch waist. And I like the fact that the jacket zips to the pants. Having slid down a local road on my back several years ago, I can testify how great this feature really is.