PDA

View Full Version : Good bag verses tour pack

lake_carl
11-29-2017, 04:55 PM
I am surprised how many spend so much time and money on great tour packs that they plan on rarely using. I have 3 really nice bags. With 2 of those bags I can pack enough items that I can travel and camp for a week. One bag is enough that wife and I can go on 4 day motel trip weekend with enough room to carry 2 full face helmets in case of bad weather, and easily instead bag to carry all we need into hotel room. The tour packs just never look as nice on as the 6 looks without it. Less than $100 invested in bags

Jimmytee
11-29-2017, 05:03 PM
I am surprised how many spend so much time and money on great tour packs that they plan on rarely using. I have 3 really nice bags. With 2 of those bags I can pack enough items that I can travel and camp for a week. One bag is enough that wife and I can go on 4 day motel trip weekend with enough room to carry 2 full face helmets in case of bad weather, and easily instead bag to carry all we need into hotel room. The tour packs just never look as nice on as the 6 looks without it. Less than $100 invested in bags

It's a matter of opinion. There are plenty of times I would really appreciate the convenience of a trunk or tour pack. I have looked into it myself, but I will continue to use my luggage. I have a Kuryakyn Grand Traveler bag that works pretty well. I am thinking of getting a trailer to pull for taking longer trips 2 up.

When the time comes and I decide to upgrade to possibly the new Gold Wing, it will probably be the Tour version with the trunk. Of course , now the trunk can be removed on the new Wings.

crossbowme
11-29-2017, 07:15 PM
I use a surplus USMC 13 day pack and my F6B luggage.

Az Wingrider
11-29-2017, 10:04 PM
I had a full Goldwing and enjoyed the tour pack, but I like the F6B without the trunk much better. I no longer carry a passenger and I find by using a combination of bags on the rack and back seat I can carry as much as I ever did on the wing. With one bag on the back seat, one on the rack and another on top of the other two bags I have more capacity than I need even with camping gear on a long trip.

If I had wanted a trunk I would have bought a full Wing and I would have gotten reverse in the bargain.

As they say different strokes.

3Chief
11-29-2017, 10:18 PM
I have a nice waterproof bag I've used for the last year. So far its worked for the GF and I on a few small trips. Going to experiment more in prep for the rally.

thumper 549
11-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Truly it depends on One's needs.
By myself?
I can live out of a sandwich bag for months!
Add my GF, and now things change -
So...A trunk adds a rear backrest, a place for the bag all in one.
Pretty simple.

ths61
11-30-2017, 03:03 AM
We use the trunk on every ride. Helmets and jackets go into the saddlebags and trunk. Don't carry them around with us nor leave them on top of the bike.

We will take food and drinks with us as well as leftovers back with us. If we are out in the county, we will pick up fresh produce at the local farm fruit/vegetable stands and bring it home.

willtill
11-30-2017, 06:53 AM
My Victory Vision had a nice top rear trunk. I miss that feature... I could put a lot of stuff in it; lock it up and never worry about things getting stolen.

A bag is quite different; too easy for someone to remove it from the bike if you're not around.

choptop
11-30-2017, 08:26 AM
I love the look of my '13 deluxe, sleek and low. I have the F6b bags for those weekend trips, maybe for a couple of days longer I would strap on the kuryakyn bag to the passenger seat, I travel alone most of the time, if the G'friend is coming along I may hook my carryall to the receiver hitch and if it is a l o n g trip I will hook up the trailer. I have options short of a tour pack and now w/an additional option

https://i.imgur.com/J1eJM61.jpg

should my back be not up to a long ride to a riding destination, I can load up the 6 and take it...

zeus661
11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Wolfman duffle bag here. Waterproof. I figure it has cost me less than $3 per use. Still in great shape.

WEGI
11-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Firstgear waterproof Torrent bag. Comes in three sizes. Middle size 40 liter was my choice. Trade off is of course locking the bag and locking bag to bike. Tour trunk is much easier/versatile but the F6B looks sooooo good without a trunk!
WEG