PDA

View Full Version : Russell Day Long Seat is On!

timjoebob
10-30-2013, 07:22 PM
In search of the holy grail of comfort, I got my new seat Monday. I've been too busy to install it until tonight. Tomorrow - before and after work - about 80 miles to check it out.

I sat on it in the garage and adjusted the rider backrest to find the best spot. No ride tonight... wanna watch the World Series.

My initial impresssion: comfy and plush. Cradles my rear end and seats me about an inch closer to the handlebars, which I requested. Also, installation wasn't the easiest. Because the seat is slightly wider, getting the side grabrails over the saddlebag lever pins is a bit tricky. I expect that to be a one-time problem since there will be some indentations there after the seat's been on awhile. (One note: the seat bolts on the F6B are so much easier to install than my '05 Wing's were. Not sure why, but thankful.)

I'm looking forward to the ride tomorrow. I'll give ya my thought tomorrow night and post some photos.

MichaelG
10-30-2013, 07:28 PM
TJB, you must have had them make the passenger section into a RDL also...the suspended kind of RDL.

timjoebob
10-30-2013, 07:30 PM
TJB, you must have had them make the passenger section into a RDL also...the suspended kind of RDL.

Yep. The whole thing. Plus rider backrest, as I mentioned, and the passenger backrest, too. Photos tomorrow. :icon_cool:

wishey1
10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
...wow, can't wait to hear this report. I had a Russell on my BMW GS 1200. It
was butt heaven. You will thank yourself each and every ride over 200 miles...

Did it raise the seat height? Mine raised the seat height slightly.....but you could
always slide forward to a more narrow point to stand up...

Scotrod
10-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Got a couple packages in the mail today myself,,,

Very poor photography of mine,,,

Too much flash:

Color of 'canvas' seating area is closer to this than prior pic:

Here is the Wife's in better lighting:

Put both on tonite. Supposed to rain for a couple days or so,,, Should be nice on SAT

biggmike_51
10-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Does the seat offer back support for the driver.:clap2:

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
"A little / Some" would be my reponse. We'll be trying ours out for a while before we determine if a Utopia Backrest would be beneficial.

The wife really liked the backrest on her prior bike. I had one that I used basically as a 'reminder' to sit up straight. It did help to keep from sliding too far back under HEAVY accelleration.

MichaelG
10-31-2013, 08:03 AM
Does the seat offer back support for the driver.:clap2:

BigMike, I understand your question....but when a RDL seat is made, they do NOT want you to use the riders' backstop as a place to back up against, to give rider back support. While this may seem contrary to thought and design, the correct position for sitting on an RDL seat is slightly forward of that riders backstop...in what is called the pocket...or sweet-spot.

No..ScotRod, I did not say to sit in the wet-spot.:icon_lol:

BigMike, while a lot of us that have had RDL make seats for us have asked them to make that riders' backstop more vertical...and take some of the slope out of it, (between you and me, and the fencepost), we do make use of that riders' backstop and sit back that far, but it is much more important to sit IN the RDL pocket, where the suspension system springs are centered, so that you make full use of the suspension system. If you sit back too far...as in up against the riders' backstop, then you "may" be behind the pocket, and thus sitting on your thights, rather than your gluteal area.

If you have a need for back support, it is highly recommended that you use a real riders' backrest, like a Utopia backrest, or have RDL add one to their seat.

hiflyer
10-31-2013, 09:43 AM
I am riding to Russell to have mine done, even after all the massaging of the Utopia backrest, the ultimate fix was made last night. Removed the seat, removed the hardware, boxed it and put it in the attic. Agree with Miles, on the RDL, there is no need for a backrest.

1951vbs
10-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Scotrod,
The seats look great! I am looking forward to pictures on the bikes.

On a different note, I do think Russell could upgrade their packaging a bit. Miles may not be aware since he rides in and waits but Russell stuffs the shipping box with old foam scraps and 5-10# of newsprint, quite old school and unprofessional for such a great product. The presentation and clean up would be better if they had an instapak foam in place machine or something, or is it just me?:icon_lol:

But it won't ever stop me from buying another!

MichaelG
10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
I am riding to Russell to have mine done, even after all the massaging of the Utopia backrest, the ultimate fix was made last night. Removed the seat, removed the hardware, boxed it and put it in the attic. Agree with Miles, on the RDL, there is no need for a backrest.

Oh, I am not saying that there is no need for a backrest. I have a Utopia backrest on my RDL seat. My point was that the rider should not use the riders' backstop...the back wall of the riders' section of the seat...as a backrest. I did state that you could use a Utopia backrest, or have RCP install a backrest on your RDL seat.

And Mike (1951VBS)...I will mention to Kim at RCP your suggestion that they improve their packing and shipping issues. I will not mention your name, to protect the innocent.

Okay, post sent to Kim, and I gave her the info.

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 10:19 AM
No..ScotRod, I did not say to sit in the wet-spot.:icon_lol:

As much rain as we've been getting, there may be a wet spot!!! :banghead:
We park and cover our 6's on the covered back patio. (The 'joys' of 'Suburbia', not enough room for toys!) Not a 100% waterproof environment.

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
And Mike (1951VBS)...I will mention to Kim at RCP your suggestion that they improve their packing and shipping issues. I will not mention your name, to protect the innocent.

I'll take the shredded paper / bubblewrap over those dayum foam peanuts anyday!!!

Yep, the 'poured foam' packing would be nice, but the only items I've received that had that packing were when the items were heavy, like exhaust systems, etc. :iduno:

The Wing seats are huge. Mine arrived in great shape and had enough packing to keep 'em from harm.

1951vbs
10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I'll take the shredded paper / bubblewrap over those dayum foam peanuts anyday!!!

Yep, the 'poured foam' packing would be nice, but the only items I've received that had that packing were when the items were heavy, like exhaust systems, etc. :iduno:

The Wing seats are huge. Mine arrived in great shape and had enough packing to keep 'em from harm.

True, not one of my RDL saddles has ever been damaged in shipping. Foam in place is not real expensive considering the price of the product but that many peanuts would suck. I do however have a tip for packing peanut handling: Shop Vac (just make sure you know where the exhaust is pointed). I got rid of my RDL box and packing when I used it to ship my spare seat to another forum member, sorry:icon_biggrin: but it is good to recycle such things.

timjoebob
10-31-2013, 08:59 PM
I rode about 80 miles today, city and interstate riding.

My RDL seat has a rider backrest and a passenger backrest, too.

Initially, I'm disappointed, to be honest. I'm not disappointed in the seat's workmanship or plushness or support. I'm disappointed in MY riding position. The seat lifts my position about 1.5" higher, which is still not a complaint. I actually like that. That's where my '05 Wing's rode with an aftermarket seat (Hartco). Didn't mind that a bit.

As Miles said above, the RDL sits you in a pocket, which feels very comfortable. But with MY seat and/or MY seating position (I'm 6'2", 190lbs), the seat pushes me slightly forward constantly. It keeps scooting me forward, and it "cramps my style", if you catch my drift.

I've tried every position of the rider's backrest (nice, thick and plush; readily and infinitely adjustable), which is also scooting me forward... and can't find a spot where it's not aiding in the sensation of my jewels being cramped. TMI, I know.

I even removed the rider's backrest altogether and even without the backrest, I find the seat still tries to scoot me forward.

I'm wondering if, after some use, this sensation will cease. I'm wondering if Miles or others have experienced this as well. I'm wondering if there's a remedy.

I'll post photos in the morning.

(BTW - my seat was packed nicely with bubblewrap and foam peanuts, some of which are still flying around the neighborhood)

wishey1
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM

Do you know when you will leave...?

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Can't say I've had the (exact) same sensation on my prior RDL's

Of the (2) I had prior, I sent (1) back for an adjustment. (VTX1800C No forward creep, but my Jewels were riding high!!!)

Are you being pushed forward or just finding yourself sitting on the forward part of the pocket and you are able to scoot back 'in' the pocket? If the later, during these 80 miles, did you do a lot of stopping/starting?

I did find myself needing to slide back into the pocket after stop/starts as I come up/forward a little out of the pocket when I extend my legs to the ground. (No miles on my latest RDL yet but it's kinda par for the course for me)

IMHO, I'd keep trying/riding it and see if there is an improvement.

You have 8 MONTHS to report any problems and get the seat 'adjusted'.

http://www.day-long.com/seat_warranty.html

wishey1
10-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah I'm disappointed too...well, my Russell was higher, I think that's a given...
and they were made to go 580 mi. days......

If you are sliding forward call them maybe they have a fix...you can sell it for sure
I'd buy it but I'm 5'10 and chunky......hmmmmm.

MichaelG
10-31-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm wondering if, after some use, this sensation will cease. I'm wondering if Miles or others have experienced this as well. I'm wondering if there's a remedy.

Tim, the issue you are dealing with is somewhat common for a lot of people that get a RDL the first time, when done through the shipping process, rather than done by a Ride-In appt. Even though I have always done a Ride-In appt., for 11 seats through them, I can attest that the first couple seats made me feel the same way that you are feeling right now, and I had them corrected at the time of the Ride-In appt., because they have you sit on it to test it, before they put the final upholstery cover on. Getting the correct pelvic angle on the seat is important, and RDL seats have a tendency to be slanted a little forward, rather than level or backwards. I am now used to that, and I inform them to compensate for that when my seats are done now.

Also, the family jewels issue is a common one on their seats, and I have learned to have them make my seats a little flatter in the very front, so that I am not sitting on the jewelry (so to speak).

I have to say that this current seat on my F6B is the best seat they have ever done for me, but...I am used to asking for what I want from them, and...they are used to me, after 11 seats, and they know that I will ask for a specific cut here and angle there, as it works for me. There is a method to my madness of always going there in person and having it done on the spot.

I know that a lot of you folks cannot do that, and it is a bummer. Either too far, or too many days off to make the ride. I get it. BUT...

...RDL will fix that seat for you, and make it right. As stated by Scotrod, give the seat more time...to break in, and to fit yourself to the seat. But don't ride in pain or discomfort. After about 500 to 2000 miles, contact Kim at RDL, actually...RCP (Russell Cycle Products), that makes the RDL, and let her know what is going on. Figure out what it is that you need to have done with the seat, how to improve it, and don't be afraid to draw on the seat cover with chalk. That way they can see what you are talking about.

If the bottomline is that the RDL seat does not work for you, after a couple adjustments, they will refund your money. Or, as suggested, you can sell it to someone else.

You may want to "think" about riding out to there in person, and having them make the adjustment in person...if you can.

Also, Tim, where are you located? In Virginia, I see. That is only 2650 miles away, so... I may just ride out to you, and have you take my bike for a ride, to compare my RDL seat to yours, and if it works for you, they can duplicate my seat, as they took a pattern of mine, because it was the first one made for an F6B.

Please remember that everyone has a different butt, and a different body. A RDL seat may not work for you. Ironically...a Mustang or a Corbin or a Ultimate seat may be what is best for you. Only YOU can make that decision. A RDL seat is great, but only if it fits you.

timjoebob
11-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Helpful comments, Miles. I can't ride out there. Just no way.

I'll give it a bit more time in the saddle, but only a little. It's pretty darn uncomfortable. (You just sort of KNOW when it's not gonna work) Then I'll send it back to them.

(Can you hear that sound? It's $60 dollars being sucked out of my wallet for shipping)

timjoebob
11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to post photos...

Mustangjake
11-01-2013, 07:52 AM
That's a very impressive seat !!

MichaelG
11-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Tim, first...the bike looks great. There are been a very few bikes that have come out of HOR lately with that color, and it makes the bike look very good.

Second, I can see an issue with the seat, that I "think" may be a problem, but...I am not the one sitting on it. It appears to me that the riders backrest is tilted back too far. I think that by having the riders backrest tilted back, rather than vertically straight up, it causes the rider to lean back into the backrest, tilting the pelvic girdle, causing the rider to slip forward in the seat. This is just my observations from looking at the pictures.

Good pictures, BTW.

I know you said you are 6'2", and 190, but what is your inseam? Ignoring the riders backrest for a moment, either by removing it, or tilting it so far backwards that it does not make contact with your back...how is the seat to ride in, if you sit upright on the seat? What if you were to tilt the riders backrest forward, in more of a vertical straight up position, and try riding it there.

EDIT: I went back and re-read one of your posts, and see where you have already tried this without thr backrest in place. Darn !

Of course, it is easy for me to make verbal adjustments from 2650 miles away. As stated before, only you can make that decision if this seat works for you, or not. And I agree with your comment...you either know if a seat will work for you, or will not work for you. There is no need to keep it and waste that money, if it does not work for you. I had the same experience with an Ultimate seat...5 seconds out of the box I knew for a fact it would not work for me.

Do what you can, but in the end, take care of your own pocketbook, and butt.

Scotrod
11-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Tim, first...the bike looks great. There are been a very few bikes that have come out of HOR lately with that color, and it makes the bike look very good.

X2!!!! the contrast is EXCELLENT!!!

IMHO, I'd 'dial in' the feel a bit more w/o the backrest. It will take more than a day or 2 to determine all this.
Also believe, if memory serves, you are coming off a Corbin. You may have to 're-boot' your seat memories to get a clear pic of what (and why) the RDL feels like it does.

IMHO, absolutely worth taking the time, and if needed, extra shipping expense, to get it dialed in to your needs. Russell has a 'comfort guarantee'. No other 'mass produced' seat company will do this. (Ultimate/Corbin might alter your seat, but once they alter it, it's YOURS FOREVER. Russell will buy your seat back if they can't fit you.)

As Miles said, don't ride in pain, but if possible, get a clear 'mental image' of exactly what's occuring after it breaks in a bit.

timjoebob
11-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Good advice by all... stay tuned!

Scotrod
11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Couple of ours installed.

Got that funky shop light shine! LOL!!!

Cool Hand Luke
11-01-2013, 11:14 PM
I like your seat! Is that the sunbrella fabric? I'll be curious to find out how does the comfort of it compare to leather/vinyl seating surface as well as velour.

Scotrod
11-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Yep, Sunbrella 'canvas' in black. (Comes in a fair amount of other colors as well, but nothing that caught my eye)

The HOT season is slowing down here,, and I've never had Velour, but it will be easy enough to do some comparo's on temp while the bikes are sitting in the sun.

(I thought about velour, but dang, my bike is borderline purple, and a 'fuzzy' seat would just about make me feel like I should bust out in a chorus of 'Purple Rain!!!' :shock: )

edgeman55
11-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Couple of ours installed.

Got that funky shop light shine! LOL!!!

Really looks nice.I know you have said your a Big boy as I am the same-6'5" and down to 350.Hope to be in the 200's next year but I will never be "normal sized".Was wanting to know how that seat has been working out for you.I asume you had a heavy suspension built in?I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.

MichaelG
11-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.

When you plan on coming over to Nor Cal to have the seat done....let me know in advance...and I will ride down and meet with you while they are doing your seat. There is a decent pizza parlor (not great...but decent) just down the road a mile or so. Too far to walk, and sitting around there for 6+ hours gets to be boring. let me know, and if I am not on a ride cross-country, I will be there. It is only 530 miles from my house. :icon_cool:

Scotrod
11-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Really looks nice.I know you have said your a Big boy as I am the same-6'5" and down to 350.Hope to be in the 200's next year but I will never be "normal sized".Was wanting to know how that seat has been working out for you.I asume you had a heavy suspension built in?I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.

Today was the first day out on our RDL's . To me, it was no real surprise on what I could expect as this would be my 3rd RDL. (I'm 330/6-0. Yep, heavy suspension option added)

It was about 70ish w/ 20-30 winds from the north, so vinyl / vs. canvas comparo's perhaps weren't as 'distinguishable' as they may have been on hotter/cooler days. :iduno:

My RDL 'pocket' felt great!!! (21 inches wide at widest point) I now sit a littler higher up and a bit farther back. I scoot forward a little bit at lights to reach the ground better. (Only a 30 inseam)

The way you tell if you have a good seat is if you never think about it or yer butt all day. Other than a little scoot up-scoot back at stoplights or getting back in the pocket, I never gave anything else a 2nd thought. :yes:

The Wife:

Before, she was 'perfectly happy with her Ultimate' on her old Roadliner. Still, by the end of the day, she was the one standing up at the stoplights, trying to get the blood flow going again,,,.

Finally talked he into trying an RDL. Today was her first day on the Day long. She's a little higher up and perhaps a little further back now as well. (5'10 and just under 'double Ben' in wt. No HD suspension.)

She definitely noticed the difference!! No pressure on the tailbone, just cruising along 'in the pocket', never giving a 2nd thought to comfort or getting any numb-butt.

Pretty sure she'll stick with RDL now as well. :icon_wink:

edgeman55
11-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Today was the first day out on our RDL's . To me, it was no real surprise on what I could expect as this would be my 3rd RDL. (I'm 330/6-0. Yep, heavy suspension option added)

It was about 70ish w/ 20-30 winds from the north, so vinyl / vs. canvas comparo's perhaps weren't as 'distinguishable' as they may have been on hotter/cooler days. :iduno:

My RDL 'pocket' felt great!!! (21 inches wide at widest point) I now sit a littler higher up and a bit farther back. I scoot forward a little bit at lights to reach the ground better. (Only a 30 inseam)

The way you tell if you have a good seat is if you never think about it or yer butt all day. Other than a little scoot up-scoot back at stoplights or getting back in the pocket, I never gave anything else a 2nd thought. :yes:

The Wife:

Before, she was 'perfectly happy with her Ultimate' on her old Roadliner. Still, by the end of the day, she was the one standing up at the stoplights, trying to get the blood flow going again,,,.

Finally talked he into trying an RDL. Today was her first day on the Day long. She's a little higher up and perhaps a little further back now as well. (5'10 and just under 'double Ben' in wt. No HD suspension.)

She definitely noticed the difference!! No pressure on the tailbone, just cruising along 'in the pocket', never giving a 2nd thought to comfort or getting any numb-butt.

Pretty sure she'll stick with RDL now as well. :icon_wink:

Thanks for giving me your thoughts on your new saddle.You sealed the deal for me and I will get one next year some time.I want to wait till my LB's drop so I will get a better fit when I have it done.

edgeman55
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
When you plan on coming over to Nor Cal to have the seat done....let me know in advance...and I will ride down and meet with you while they are doing your seat. There is a decent pizza parlor (not great...but decent) just down the road a mile or so. Too far to walk, and sitting around there for 6+ hours gets to be boring. let me know, and if I am not on a ride cross-country, I will be there. It is only 530 miles from my house. :icon_cool:

That sounds great Miles but I don't know if telling me about Pizza is the best thing for a Big boy trying to drop many LB's-LOL.I hope late spring if I can continue dropping the weight like I have so I can be at a point to get a better fit for the size I am shooting for.Holidays are coming up and it will be a tough time for staying to the plan-but I am giving it the old college try.I may be up in southern Washington next year as our daughter and grandson now reside in Battle Ground.

MichaelG
11-03-2013, 02:02 PM
That sounds great Miles but I don't know if telling me about Pizza is the best thing for a Big boy trying to drop many LB's-LOL.I hope late spring if I can continue dropping the weight like I have so I can be at a point to get a better fit for the size I am shooting for.Holidays are coming up and it will be a tough time for staying to the plan-but I am giving it the old college try.I may be up in southern Washington next year as our daughter and grandson now reside in Battle Ground.

They do also have salads...which are a smart thing to east. I have distant relatives that live in Battle Ground, WA. Haven't seen them in 40+ years.

Remember, for a ride-in appt., you need to make that months in advance.

timjoebob
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
SEAT UPDATE:

After about 400 miles on the seat, I'm resigned to the fact that it just isn't for me. The seating position just ain't right FOR ME. Too much scooting me forward. This seat will be perfect for someone else, but it's just not for me.

I've sent my Corbin to be re-upholstered with velour and taking out the "Goldenrod" wale around the edges of the seat. Shueys Auto Upholstery in Staunton, VA (the best!) is doing the work and I'll sell my RDL seat when the Corbin comes back (estimated 12/1).

Price with adjustable rider backrest (as shown) and passenger backrest pad ONLY... $975 shipped to lower 48. The passenger backrest bracket hardware is OEM and I'm using it for my Corbin when it's ready, again estimated to be 12/1 or so. PM me if your interested. I'll ship it as soon as my Corbin is picked from the upholsterer.

Scotrod
11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Same problem as you initially posted?:

But with MY seat and/or MY seating position (I'm 6'2", 190lbs), the seat pushes me slightly forward constantly. It keeps scooting me forward, and it "cramps my style", if you catch my drift.

I've tried every position of the rider's backrest (nice, thick and plush; readily and infinitely adjustable), which is also scooting me forward... and can't find a spot where it's not aiding in the sensation of my jewels being cramped. TMI, I know.

I even removed the rider's backrest altogether and even without the backrest, I find the seat still tries to scoot me forward.

Have you contacted Russell Cycle Products to let 'em know it ain't working?

After 400 miles, you can't say you didn't give it a try,,,

timjoebob
11-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Same problem as you initially posted?:

But with MY seat and/or MY seating position (I'm 6'2", 190lbs), the seat pushes me slightly forward constantly. It keeps scooting me forward, and it "cramps my style", if you catch my drift.

Have you contacted Russell Cycle Products to let 'em know it ain't working?

After 400 miles, you can't say you didn't give it a try,,,

I'd rather not send it back, have them more customize it, and alter it where it might be difficult to sell.

We'll see after my "new" Corbin comes back from the local upholsterer.

Mustangjake
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
For me the forward position would be nice but with 28 inch inseam I couldn't touch the ground.
It's still a very cool looking seat.