PDA

View Full Version : Possible concern for 2018 engines

Bdog
01-07-2018, 09:38 AM
So far I really like what I've seen and heard about the 2018 wings. But I'm not sure what to think about the aluminum sleeves in the engines. I'm sure there has been a lot of advances in aluminum alloys since the old "Vega" days but still a little concerned. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Joflewbyu2
01-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Sometimes changes are done for efficiency and emissions reasons and not for durability. Honda touts they reduced weight but at what expense. I am not sold on the new changes yet. Time will allow feedback and opportunity for any problems to arise.

druggr
01-07-2018, 09:53 AM
It's my understanding they'll be very reliable if supporting systems are well maintained (lubrication, cooling, and intake air). Another is valve adjustments. Compared to the 5th gen Wings, the 6th gen Wing will probably be much less forgiving to riders who poorly maintain their Wing. For example, fluids changes will be less forgiving. Another will be valve adjustments. Since most riders can tell the difference after having their 12 valves all adjusted the same, imagine having 24 of them all adjusted properly. Basically, maintenance cost will be considerably more. Valve adjustments on the new Wings is required twice as often and there are twice as many to check and adjust.

It is also my understanding that such systems are monitored by onboard monitoring systems.

opas ride
01-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I would not worry one little bit about the reliability of the Honda engines..These people have been building racing engines for years and in my opinion they know what they are doing with the new Goldwings...Technology is advancing rapidly and I am fairly sure Honda has done a lot of necessary research on motors they build....Reputation is a big thing to them and all will be just fine with the new GW motors....Ride safe....

bertrider
01-07-2018, 01:15 PM
I would not worry one little bit about the reliability of the Honda engines..These people have been building racing engines for years and in my opinion they know what they are doing with the new Goldwings...Technology is advancing rapidly and I am fairly sure Honda has done a lot of necessary research on motors they build....Reputation is a big thing to them and all will be just fine with the new GW motors....Ride safe....

double+1. Remember, those Vega engines were engineered and built over 40 years ago.

ShanghaiDan
01-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Non-sleeved aluminum blocks are common today for BMW, Jaguar, Ford, Honda, and many others. I wouldn't sweat it at all!

bob109
01-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Sleeveless motors have been around for many years! Single/Twin and Triple Cylinder Snowmobile Motors come to mind as does the 1800CC Suzuki M109. The fore mentioned motors use chrome plated cylinder bores with cast iron rings. This combo allows the rings to seat and not the cylinder walls. So hard is the chrome that chrome/molly rings will never seat. With Honda's reputation for motor design/building you can bet the new flat six has many, many hours of dyno and bench testing.

shortleg0521
01-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Or American Honda actually built engines for qualifying with no rings.
Yes you hear me no rings, they built them with such close tolerances
That there were no rings.These engines only lasted a short time. They were
only for qualifying.
I bring this up because I want to set you at ease as far as Honda engineering goes.

olegoat345
01-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Honda & Toyota have the best engineers & tech's money can buy. In my opinion, they are far & ahead of anything else built anywhere.

Heatnbeat
01-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Hmmm from the same people that sent some of the bikes out with less than the specified amount of lubricant?

bob109
01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Hmmm from the same people that sent some of the bikes out with less than the specified amount of lubricant?

There are manufacturers who's bikes leaked lubricants onto their Show Room floors! They learned to fill "crank cases and secondaries" only after the bikes were being delivered to the customers:icon_doh:

Heatnbeat
01-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Yeah, true that. I do have more faith in Honda than H-D😄

Joflewbyu2
01-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Hopefully Honda does better than the Harley-Davidson bean counter that discontinued crank bushings for cost in 2011/2012 on the TC 96, 103 and 110 engines. Many owners had engine noise complaints on later engines and HD response was increased tolerances without bushings. They wouldn’t do anything unless the engine blew. The HD executive retired after touting the amount he saved the company. Of course he got paid a percentage of the bottom line so he didn’t care. He just squeezed a savings to make the bottom line look better.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-11-2018, 07:38 AM
Just look at all the small outdoor power equipment, chain saws, trimmers ect: All aluminum piston & cylinders in an air cooled engine running around 12,000 rpms.

Phantom
01-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Just look at all the small outdoor power equipment, chain saws, trimmers ect: All aluminum piston & cylinders in an air cooled engine running around 12,000 rpms.

Yes, however I just blew up my 2 year old "Lightly used" STIHL chain saw that I paid around $170. The repair with parts is around $150

All aluminum, maybe I have a unit built on a Friday late afternoon or early Monday morning.

DMAGOLDRDR
01-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Yes, however I just blew up my 2 year old "Lightly used" STIHL chain saw that I paid around $170. The repair with parts is around $150.

Always look at the "emission compliant rating" tag on any new 2 strokes. They have 3 ratings 50 hour, 150 hour and 300 hour. Now these numbers are actually a compliancy rating, but keep in mind that the sooner they are out of compliance the sooner they will wear out.

Many Chains Saws, Trimmers and Blowers only have a 50 hour rating.

thumper 549
01-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Hopefully Honda does better than the Harley-Davidson bean counter that discontinued crank bushings for cost in 2011/2012 on the TC 96, 103 and 110 engines. Many owners had engine noise complaints on later engines and HD response was increased tolerances without bushings. They wouldn’t do anything unless the engine blew. The HD executive retired after touting the amount he saved the company. Of course he got paid a percentage of the bottom line so he didn’t care. He just squeezed a savings to make the bottom line look better.

I know the epc story well.
I don't think Honda is so ivory towered.
Now that Willy is gone from HD, all that is left is the bean counters.
I predict tits up next 5 years.
This last engine (M8) is a POS by any measuring stick at all.
it will just help them to the BR court quicker.
IDC anymore.
They have not been loyal to me, and now i am not to them.
They do however sell a very nice wardrobe of stuff at very inflated prices if one is stupid enough to buy them.
i cannot imagine wanting to be their walking talking billboards.