PDA

View Full Version : vibration

Veigae
01-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Will Heli bars and super brace stop vibration or shim if I take hands off bars?

willtill
01-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Vibration?

Are you talking about steering wobble? Or something else?

Veigae
01-13-2018, 01:32 PM
yes

LA Weld
01-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Heli bars tighten up the steering from the triple tree up and add unlimited adjustment. Sounds to me that you have a different problem from the triple tree down.
Unbalanced wheel, possible wheel bearing, even a bad neck bearing, could use some more info on the condition of the bike, mileage ect.

Walcrow
01-13-2018, 05:22 PM
If you watch the Traxxion Dynamics videos, the top dawg there states that the Superbrace will not fix the wobble. Maybe it's a sales pitch, but he then states that IF you are to buy one, get the Kuryakyn brace and not the Superbrace. Their tests showed it to produce more rigidity, but will not cure the 35mph wobble. No experience yet with the Helibars.

2wheelsforme
01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
No wobble on my F6B but did have it once on another bike. Fixed it by turning the neck bearing nut down just a bit to firm up the front end. Took two adjustments to get it right. It was easy to get to on the Yamaha Venture, prob not the case on this Honda.

crossbowme
01-13-2018, 06:57 PM
If you watch the Traxxion Dynamics videos, the top dawg there states that the Superbrace will not fix the wobble. Maybe it's a sales pitch, but he then states that IF you are to buy one, get the Kuryakyn brace and not the Superbrace. Their tests showed it to produce more rigidity, but will not cure the 35mph wobble. No experience yet with the Helibars.

Traxxion has their own brace now.

willtill
01-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings. most likely noticed after you have put several thousand miles on any bike; even if the stem bearings were torqued down properly from the factory. The bearings wear will wear within their races and on further extended operation of the bike. As they seat and time elapses.. wobble can develop (play between the bearings and the races, exacerbated by forces pushing and pulling on that assembly which will exponentially transmit the misalignment to the handlebars); most especially noticeable when de-accelerating down through the 40-30 mph range. "wop-wop" will go the handlebars if you take your hands off of them.

Opas_Ride will give you a :nono: if you do that though... from past conversation with him. :shhh: I have a memory like an elephant :icon_mrgreen:

Many manuals recommend retorquing the stem nut after a period of time. Because of wear. Of course we ignore that, as well as not replacing the spark plugs or checking valve lash on these motors. becase they are quite literally; bullet proof as empirical evidence gleaned through the ages of the GL1800 platform.... :icon_wink:

Had the issue on my past VTX1300R and replaced the bearings myself. Torqued them properly. No issue after that.

I'd venture that if you tightened down the stem bearing nut just a tiny bit; the wobble would go away. Of course it's involved though with the GL1800/F6B platform.

Steering wobble is VERY common with motorcycles. It's not fatal. But it is annoying. And can be remedied.

tnitro1
01-13-2018, 10:22 PM
Considering that everything else is good in the front of your bike wheel balance good Tire Etc a lot of people claim that going to the All Balls bearing kit eliminate the wobble. I recently just purchased the helibars for my bike and they should be arriving soon. and I'm undecided whether I want to change the bearing in mine while I have the handlebars off as I have the wobble too. And I just had new tires put on mine and the dealer check my head bearing and they say they retorqued it. And I have about 10,000 miles on my bike. It is snowing here now so I still have time to think about it.

Sorcerer
01-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Need more info. Tire pressure front and rear. Mileage on tires and mileage on bike. Be aware that a problem at the handle bars could be manifested from the rear tire. Bad tire to loose lug nuts.i

thumper 549
01-14-2018, 12:26 AM
To put this as nice as I can, if I had a problem I would not be looking for a patch.
You will travel better fixing it.
Step one, identify, then
Rectify.
Then make it supposedly better with the snake oil.
Some are, some are not.

lloydmoore1
01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
For me the vibration was gone as soon as I installed the All Balls bearing kit

opas ride
01-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings. most likely noticed after you have put several thousand miles on any bike; even if the stem bearings were torqued down properly from the factory. The bearings wear will wear within their races and on further extended operation of the bike. As they seat and time elapses.. wobble can develop (play between the bearings and the races, exacerbated by forces pushing and pulling on that assembly which will exponentially transmit the misalignment to the handlebars); most especially noticeable when de-accelerating down through the 40-30 mph range. "wop-wop" will go the handlebars if you take your hands off of them.

Opas_Ride will give you a :nono: if you do that though... from past conversation with him. :shhh: I have a memory like an elephant :icon_mrgreen:

Many manuals recommend retorquing the stem nut after a period of time. Because of wear. Of course we ignore that, as well as not replacing the spark plugs or checking valve lash on these motors. becase they are quite literally; bullet proof as empirical evidence gleaned through the ages of the GL1800 platform.... :icon_wink:

Had the issue on my past VTX1300R and replaced the bearings myself. Torqued them properly. No issue after that.

I'd venture that if you tightened down the stem bearing nut just a tiny bit; the wobble would go away. Of course it's involved though with the GL1800/F6B platform.

Steering wobble is VERY common with motorcycles. It's not fatal. But it is annoying. And can be remedied.

Willtill, you do have a good memory as does my wife!!..And yes, I will never understand why anyone would feel the need to take their hands off the bars of an 800+ lb motorcycle at any speed!!! Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion....Regards and ride safe

2wheelsforme
01-14-2018, 02:57 PM
This bike is the most balanced of any I've ever had. Can go many miles with no hands just using knees and a little lean to steer. Do it just for fun or for something simple like changing from clear to tented glasses or visa versa. Have even put sunscreen on without stopping before. Also a good change up for long trips, try setting on the back seat sometime, it gives the legs a good stretch. Many bikes have a little pull one way or the other but not this F6B. If you are not comfortable doing this then maybe you should not try it but I feel it is no danger other than maybe tire blowing or a deer jumping out in front of you, besides your back in control in nano seconds, some people I know cant even react that fast for anything that needs doing. Ha! Of course you can not have any front end shake so tighten those neck bearings even if a shop has already checked them and said they are torqued correctly, you can't always trust those people..

thumper 549
01-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Willtill, you do have a good memory as does my wife!!..And yes, I will never understand why anyone would feel the need to take their hands off the bars of an 800+ lb motorcycle at any speed!!! Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion....Regards and ride safe

I have traveled literally thousands of miles no hands.
My old Sportster was Perfect for it.
With Pullbacks, a sleeping bag tied on the sisy bar for a pillow to lean on, and my feet up on the crash bars.
I could lean back and steer with my knees for miles all sorts of comfy.
I do this with my road King too, but the F6...its a little more difficult .

opas ride
01-15-2018, 11:14 AM
I have traveled literally thousands of miles no hands.
My old Sportster was Perfect for it.
With Pullbacks, a sleeping bag tied on the sisy bar for a pillow to lean on, and my feet up on the crash bars.
I could lean back and steer with my knees for miles all sorts of comfy.
I do this with my road King too, but the F6...its a little more difficult .

Too each his own my friend and I am glad you are still around to relate this story!!!....Way to "risky and dangerous" for this guy...Regards and ride safe...

2wheelsforme
01-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Risky for some I guess is true but certainly not for all. I'm well shy of the record myself. http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/28/look-ma-no-hands-on-a-motorcycle-for-525-miles/

BIGLRY
01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Will Heli bars and super brace stop vibration or shim if I take hands off bars?
I reiterate willtill's quoit "Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings". I suggest that you check the tire pressure, for loose triple tree or axle bolts, and that all front end fasteners and the steering stem bearings are at proper torque.
If you are still having front end wobble or head shaking upon deceleration or around 45 MPH I highly recommend the "All Balls" bearing kit http://wingstuff.com/products/21578-all-balls-steering-bearings-for-gl1800-f6b?context=all_balls This stering stem bearing upgrade removes the OEM round ball bearings Honda uses in the F6B and GL1800 pre 2018 with a tapered roller bearing system which is an 100% improvement IMHO.

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/007/194/original.jpg?1331836664

crossbowme
01-16-2018, 03:30 PM
I reiterate willtill's quoit "Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings". I suggest that you check the tire pressure, for loose triple tree or axle bolts, and that all front end fasteners and the steering stem bearings are at proper torque.
If you are still having front end wobble or head shaking upon deceleration or around 45 MPH I highly recommend the "All Balls" bearing kit http://wingstuff.com/products/21578-all-balls-steering-bearings-for-gl1800-f6b?context=all_balls This stering stem bearing upgrade removes the OEM round ball bearings Honda uses in the F6B and GL1800 pre 2018 with a tapered roller bearing system which is an 100% improvement IMHO.

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/007/194/original.jpg?1331836664

X2. I have All Balls and love them.

willtill
01-16-2018, 07:52 PM
X2. I have All Balls and love them.

I have all balls too! :icon_lol:

2wheelsforme
01-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Biglry are you sure the OEM F6B bearings are round? It was my belief they are roller bearing themselves referred to as needle by some. Not everyone thinks the All Balls are an upgrade to the more expensive OEM. Just recently changed out the neck bearing on a Yamaha Venture with 120K on the odo and the stock bearings were roller just like the aftermarket replacements I put in. I do know one thing I will not use any Chinese made bearings.

2wheelsforme
01-16-2018, 09:09 PM
I'm reading that some people say ball and some say roller. Looking at the parts fitch it looks like roller. Have to wait for someone who has actually been in to see what was there. Hopefully it will not be me, already had four apart and want no more. Expecting 100k plus on these original ones round or tapered. You can really tell when you have a bad bearing that needs replacement just by the grinding feel. I think many just need to tighten them down some rather than replace to get rid of the wobble. Thankfully I don't have it on my F6B.

BobR
01-16-2018, 09:50 PM
My F6B developed the dreaded wobble also. I tried everything including a Super Brace and changing to Elite 4 tires. The fix was to change to the All Balls bearings. Not a problem since then. The bike tracks and handles much better too.

2wheelsforme
01-17-2018, 07:07 AM
So you did not try just tightening the head bearings first? When you changed the bearings what type were found to exist in stock form. Or maybe a shop did the work and you did not see.

BIGLRY
01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Biglry are you sure the OEM F6B bearings are round? It was my belief they are roller bearing themselves referred to as needle by some. Not everyone thinks the All Balls are an upgrade to the more expensive OEM. Just recently changed out the neck bearing on a Yamaha Venture with 120K on the odo and the stock bearings were roller just like the aftermarket replacements I put in. I do know one thing I will not use any Chinese made bearings.Yes, I am sure 2wheelsforme...
I belive Honda uses BALL bearings in the steering stem bearings in a majority of Honda motorcycles. The only model I know of to use the tapered roller bearings is the VTX1800... even the VTX1300 uses ball bearings in the stem bearings and then they along with the GL1800 & F6B may gain much front end stability improvement by switching to the tapered roller bearings found in the "All Balls" bearings replacement kit.

For those who do not know the difference here is pic of the ball bearings Honda uses in the F6B and pre 2018 GL1800 steering stems. This pic is from Honda and the GL1800 Parts fiche.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image37779.jpg

and here is what a set of tapered roller bearings look like.
http://www.indiantradebird.com/admin/members/8184/images/0_0c739ae7.jpg

I can not comment on what other MC manufactures use for their steering stem bearings.:shrug:

willtill
01-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Yes, I am sure 2wheelsforme...

+1

I saw my OEM steering stem and bearings when it was removed at Traxxion Dynamics. The OEM bearings are ball bearings. I now have the All Balls tapered brearings installed as part of my Traxxion front suspemsion upgrade.

It is sweet. :icon_cool:

2wheelsforme
01-17-2018, 01:47 PM
I'm glad someone layed eyes on them. Everytime I look at a parts fitch they call them needle bearings. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place. But you know being from Florida I'm allowed to be stupid. :icon_razz:

BIGLRY
01-17-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm glad someone layed eyes on them. Everytime I look at a parts fitch they call them needle bearings. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place. But you know being from Florida I'm allowed to be stupid. :icon_razz:Not stupid, but maybe looking in the wrong places lol.

Walcrow
01-17-2018, 03:17 PM
+1

I saw my OEM steering stem and bearings when it was removed at Traxxion Dynamics. The OEM bearings are ball bearings. I now have the All Balls tapered brearings installed as part of my Traxxion front suspemsion upgrade.

It is sweet. :icon_cool:

Willl.......

We'd heard that you had changed out your "balls". Glad everything is working out for ya'!!! My balls are next in line.

willtill
01-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Willl.......

We'd heard that you had changed out your "balls". Glad everything is working out for ya'!!! My balls are next in line.

You will like what they do to your balls down in Ja-ja... :shhh:

:icon_mrgreen:

Walcrow
01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
:icon_mrgreen:

:yes: