PDA

View Full Version : challenge coin

2wheelsforme
01-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Today showing a property to an older gentlemen and we were hitting it off conversation wise. We decided to exchange cards and He offers me an item like I've never had before, a challenge coin. I'm honored He gave me this and I understand I might get a free drink at a military bar somewhere if I show it at the right time. It is more important to me than just that and I hope we get together again to look at houses.
4704 4705

willtill
01-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Don't misrepresent. :nono:

You are no 3 star General.

Draxsr
01-30-2018, 08:26 PM
A very special item indeed. Keep it safe. Taking it to the local pub and waving it around in front of GI's (much less Marines) may get you into some trouble. They make nice little desk racks for challenge coins that you can display on your desk/hutch/whatever.

2wheelsforme
01-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Insulting Marines or any service member is the last thing I want to do. I feel it is a honor to have this coin.

2wheelsforme
01-31-2018, 06:01 AM
Don't misrepresent. :nono:

You are no 3 star General.

I really do not understand your response. In what way do you speak of me misrepresenting myself as a 3 star General and shaking a finger at me? That would be a terrible and wrong thing for me to do and certainly not even considered. In my understanding that being given and having the coin is a brag of such as having rubbed elbows with a high rank and I have no intention of going to military bars and flashing it around. Maybe sharing it here was a mistake. I may find a way to display it on the desk or wall in office as I hear others have done and as Draxsr suggest.

willtill
01-31-2018, 06:34 AM
I really do not understand your response. In what way do you speak of me misrepresenting myself as a 3 star General and shaking a finger at me? That would be a terrible and wrong thing for me to do and certainly not even considered. In my understanding that being given and having the coin is a brag of such as having rubbed elbows with a high rank and I have no intention of going to military bars and flashing it around. Maybe sharing it here was a mistake. I may find a way to display it on the desk or wall in office as I hear others have done and as Draxsr suggest.

Thank you.

F6Bster
01-31-2018, 09:26 AM
Insulting Marines or any service member is the last thing I want to do. I feel it is a honor to have this coin.

It is an honor for sure. I have a nice collection from many years working and supporting military operations by numerous service organizations. Proud that they range from almost all branches (unfortunately did not get to work with Coast Guard) and from both tactical and strategic operations, as well as senior staffs. Working together for mission accomplishment is an amazing feeling.

willtill
01-31-2018, 10:19 AM
I have a drawer full of Challenge coins. They are indeed reminders of times past. :icon_smflag:

shortleg0521
02-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Strange, Being a Marine, Navy brat myself I have seen a few of these but always felt strange with them.
Was lucky through my life to be introduced and know quite a few WW 2 heroes as well as Korean vets
I guess I never really knew what these coins were all about.
I was offered some just for being a driver on a small bus bringing Vets to the WW2 memorial in DC.
Always told these men they had already done me enough by being on my bus.

Bill1584
02-15-2018, 04:38 PM
It seems doubtful to me that anyone was going to misrepresent themselves. Who knows. I personally doubt that anyone would be inclined to try and impersonate THIS GUY (http://www.epnaao.com/BIOS_files/REGULARS/Pitman-%20Charles%20H.pdf). That is quite a service record, from what little I know of such things.

I get that, considering the majority of the membership here, folks can be a tad quick on the draw. What I would have expected to read, contrary to the parental-style correction, is a more straightforward explanation of the meaning behind the coin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin). I am sure that Gen. Pitman did not expect anyone to attempt the use the coin for anything other than proof of having met the man. Else he surely would not have offered it.

My initial take on the OP was that he must have made a fantastic personal impression on the General. In fact, that will be my only takeaway.

2wheelsforme
02-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Thank you Bill, much more of the kind of response I expected and the type I got when I posted the same thing on my local motorcycle forum. My knowledge of these coins was what I learned from watching NCIS (almost nothing) who had them come up once on a show. I have met Will in person and was very confused by His fingerwaving warning. But you know He has a drawer full of them so not nearly as impressed as Myself for getting this one, my first. Maybe He will explain to me at the Rally.

willtill
02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Thank you Bill, much more of the kind of response I expected and the type I got when I posted the same thing on my local motorcycle forum. My knowledge of these coins was what I learned from watching NCIS (almost nothing) who had them come up once on a show. I have met Will in person and was very confused by His fingerwaving warning. But you know He has a drawer full of them so not nearly as impressed as Myself for getting this one, my first. Maybe He will explain to me at the Rally.

Oh for goodness sake. I’m sorry I offended you. It was just a general (no pun intended) response on my part with a wagging finger warning; because there are instances of stolen valor out there.

I never meant to insinuate you personally with that.

Already going to be, and continuing to be a terrible year; I am starting to see that already.