PDA

View Full Version : Throttle lock safety Q

VStarRider
02-02-2018, 08:25 PM
A question I have for anyone out there who uses a throttle lock of some kind (I am looking at the Kaoko, made for F6B).

What happens if you are cruising with the throttle set and have grab a handful of brake in an emergency, without time to disengage the throttle lock?

F6Bster
02-02-2018, 09:58 PM
I rode a Valk for years with a throttle lock and never an issue. Actually, there are times that I prefer a throttle lock to cruise control. As for your question, in an emergency the right hand can do several things at once without lots of thinking. Thumb flips the throttle lock and fingers pull the brake lever.

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-02-2018, 10:50 PM
I've had a Kaoko since 13. Use it on really long days traveling only.
Never had to push the panic button your describing but would say a handful of brakes and clutch would be fine to make a bad deal into a near miss.

The Kaoko, although a fine quality lock, has to be turned off to release. There is no quick grab release.

I'd also say you can easily roll the throttle off when it's locked.

J

olegoat345
02-02-2018, 11:27 PM
I brought a Kaoko for my GF's Scout as a birthday present. It was nothing but trouble, it would never hold a steady speed no matter how we adjusted it.. We finally took it off.

DMAGOLDRDR
02-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I use a Go Cruise. Cost me about $25. It is a friction style so it can be over ridden buy just closing the throttle as you normally would. It does NOT lock the throttle solid...

F6Bster
02-03-2018, 10:30 AM
I use a Go Cruise. Cost me about $25. It is a friction style so it can be over ridden buy just closing the throttle as you normally would. It does NOT lock the throttle solid...

That's what I used on my Valk years ago. I liked both the simplicity and functionality.

NMRed
02-03-2018, 03:25 PM
+1 on the Go Cruise. Spring for the aluminum version.

DaWadd
02-04-2018, 09:47 AM
I had a couple butt puckering moments like that with the Kaoko but I was always able to just roll off the throttle.

Circle-5
02-04-2018, 03:47 PM
I use a throttle lock by BrakeAway (P/N 7CP05), which has a brake-handle release, in addition to a dedicated switch-off lever, in addition to a friction throttle release. Beautiful craftsmanship and engineering. Works perfectly once it's installed, but it's a real pain to install (at least it was for me – took well over an hour!). It's not a exactly a cruise control, but it's nice to be able to rest my right wrist on long rides.

VStarRider
02-04-2018, 04:56 PM
I use a throttle lock by BrakeAway (P/N 7CP05), which has a brake-handle release, in addition to a dedicated switch-off lever, in addition to a friction throttle release. Beautiful craftsmanship and engineering. Works perfectly once it's installed, but it's a real pain to install (at least it was for me – took well over an hour!). It's not a exactly a cruise control, but it's nice to be able to rest my right wrist on long rides.

This one? --> http://wingstuff.com/products/36532-motorcycle-cruise-control-for-f6b

If so, I have been reading about it. Thing is, I have heated grips (factory).

sabre85
02-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Been using the Go Cruise on every bike I've owned for about thirty years, the simple friction lock types are very easy and intuitive-reflexive to over ride. Never had an issue

Circle-5
02-05-2018, 01:49 AM
This one? --> http://wingstuff.com/products/36532-motorcycle-cruise-control-for-f6b

If so, I have been reading about it. Thing is, I have heated grips (factory).

Bummer – no you can't use the BrakeAway with heated grips (not sure why). Other than that, it's probably the "safest" throttle lock for the F6B. But any throttle lock that doesn't lock your throttle completely should be considered safe. And I believe all of them allow you to turn the throttle grip both ways, with some sort of adjustable friction.

And yes, that's it on Wingstuff.

taxfree4
02-05-2018, 05:28 AM
Had the KAOKO and loved it, did a few X country rides and worked flawlessly. There is a little learning curve, and a trick with setting the speed, but after that it's a cinch. Also once the friction is on you can increase and decrease the speed easily. And once it is set and you have to brake quickly it becomes second nature to, in reaching for the brake, to run your palm over the friction wheel to unlock the throttle.

dustytrader
02-05-2018, 10:19 AM
I bought a Throttlemeister which has the tightener on the end of the grip. It's not cruise control., but I enjoy it better than a thumb lock mechanism. It was about $160 if I recall, but well worth it

LA Weld
02-05-2018, 08:36 PM
I bought a Throttlemeister which has the tightener on the end of the grip. It's not cruise control., but I enjoy it better than a thumb lock mechanism. It was about $160 if I recall, but well worth it

+1
Used throttlemeister, quality piece.

olegoat345
02-07-2018, 02:42 PM
We replaced my G/F's Kaoko with a BrakeAway = Like Circle-5 said, a real PITA to get adjusted juuuusssstt right, took several hours. Couldn't get a answer or a call back from BrakeAway. It is very pretty & great quality work. ==== Right now, I'm using a friction bar type (bar rest against the brake lever) but thinking I'll go for the Go Cruise, they seem to work well...... easy install too.