PDA

View Full Version : Trip planning....

stepbill
02-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Was curious what you all use for trip planning? I am starting to plan the trip to Colorado and would like to figure out potential stops for sleep and distances. Wish that there was a software program that I could use.

taxfree4
02-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Looks like you'll be using I-40 mostly, no sweat, always plenty of places to stay along the way. You can do it in 3, looks like about 1900+ miles from you but why rush, if you have the time take 4. I like to stop and pull the camera out and get some shots. If you go to www.mapquest.com and punch in the directions they'll map it and give you hotels, gas and food along the route (buttons along the top)

VStarRider
02-03-2018, 06:09 AM
Is there an app or website that allows you to plan your own personalized scenic route, press play, and it takes you along that pre-determined route turn by turn?

choptop
02-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I have base camp, don't know all the in and outs of it and probably never will. Have been using Goggle maps for my Cortez trip ...

crossbowme
02-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Is there an app or website that allows you to plan your own personalized scenic route, press play, and it takes you along that pre-determined route turn by turn?

Good Sam! I use it for all types of rips. Shows everything you might need on your trip.

Az Wingrider
02-03-2018, 09:36 AM
If you have a GPS there are several trip planning softwares available. I have been using Microsoft Streets and Trips for years. Although it is no longer being supported it is still available on E-bay. As with other programs you do your trip planning on your computer then convert it to a GPX file and download it into your GPS. With a little practice you can have the routing take you directly to the front door of your planned motels or campgrounds for each overnight stop. I also usually look at Trip Advisor when trying to choose motels for areas I am not familiar with. If you are looking for a free mapping program check out Harley Ride Planner. It is on the Harley Davidson website and is a little quirky but not hard to learn.

Good luck and see you in August
Az Wingrider

DMAGOLDRDR
02-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Was curious what you all use for trip planning? I am starting to plan the trip to Colorado and would like to figure out potential stops for sleep and distances. Wish that there was a software program that I could use.

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips but it has been discontinued. I think 2015 was the last year, some (very few) roads have changed and although it lists Hotels and Restaurants, ownership may have also changed.
I don't need an internet connection and in the past would take along my small lap top and could pull the program on the side of the road if I needed. I know all you tech guys may laugh because I don't have a smart phone but that's fine I like my old fashion self......

coyote2
02-03-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm assuming you have to belong to Good Sam before you use the software to plan a trip. I have Garmin GPS and use there BaseCamp.

3Chief
02-03-2018, 12:03 PM
We use Roadtrippers.com however many GPS's claim to allow you to build a trip and load it in your unit although I've never gotten one to work. Roadtrippers can be a bit clunky to use but does help you build a route to your liking.

Xrider57
02-03-2018, 03:28 PM

I'm going the first week in July. When are you ?I have been all over Colorado and have some places I want to go see. I may be able to help you plan some if you want.

Az Wingrider
02-04-2018, 09:52 AM
We use Roadtrippers.com however many GPS's claim to allow you to build a trip and load it in your unit although I've never gotten one to work. Roadtrippers can be a bit clunky to use but does help you build a route to your liking.

I routinely load very detailed trip routes into my Garmin Zumo. Most all of the routing programs allow you to convert the route to a gpx file and that can be downloaded into most Gps's. I have downloaded trips of as long as two weeks into my Zumo with no problem.

Az Wingrider

VStarRider
02-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Thanks. I just downloaded the Scenic app. I see that it tracks your route, and I believe you can send a pre-made route to it, or use the app itself to program your own route.

I will experiment with it and check back in.

Az Wingrider
02-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Good luck with it. Its like a lot of other things the more you do it the easier it becomes.

crossbowme
02-05-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm assuming you have to belong to Good Sam before you use the software to plan a trip. I have Garmin GPS and use there BaseCamp.

You must belong to them. However, I use then instead of AAA. The beauty about there program is they'll recover your vehicle from anywhere. I had a friend who broke down 50 miles away from help in the Mojave and they came and picked him up. Since I like to explore that is important to me.

lloydmoore1
02-05-2018, 02:52 PM
I use Tom Tom route planner. Not sure if it's free but here is the link

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=45.80138,-66.45716,10.17,0,-0+ver=3

Also in my opinion if you are using "avoid highways" then the max distance I ride per day is 350-400 miles. Good Luck