PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Gold Wing butt test drive - observations & commentary

VStarRider
02-03-2018, 02:37 PM
I feel special - I am only the 4th person in the Rochester, NY area to sit on a new Wing.

There are three Honda motorcycle dealers in the area, and I believe the dealer I was at was the first one to get a 2018 Wing. It was in the service dept., getting put together. The techs had just finished it and were going over the checklist. They allowed me to go out back and give it the once over.

First thing I want to say is that this new Wing is TOTALLY different than any old Wing, going back several generations. If you like the big, bulky fairing, bags, trunk, etc. going back to the 80s, you may not like this iteration of the pre-eminent touring motorcycle of the world.

1. It looks like a very small, very narrow, very compact bike....very much has an adventure-touring / BMW type feel to it. Compared to the Star Venture, this bike looks petite. What I noticed is how big the flat-six now looks with a body that has lost a lot of weight and girth around it. The bike looks a lot lighter than it is.

2. I checked out the trunk ... it is quite shallow, and it curves down sharply towards the back. I did not have the opportunity to test if a helmet would fit in this trunk, but I am doubting my Schuberth XL will. Perhaps I am wrong ... I will try it out at another time. The saddlebags are considerably smaller than our B's and the 01-17 Wings. I can fit my laptop bag in my F6B's bags, though snugly. No way my laptop bag is fitting in these bags, which look 1/3 smaller. I took a picture using my left hand for scale on the new Wing (red) and my 2013 F6B (black).

https://imgur.com/a/1TFm2

3. The riding position is awesome, in my opinion. Moving the motor forward an inch and pushing the passenger seat back made a world of difference. At 6'1", I was one of the guys who could not comfortably fit on a 01-17 full Wing. Problem solved. I feel like Honda made a smart move in designing a huge carved out area for the rider's legs, something that stood out as an issue in yesterday's seat of the pants test of the Venture. I took a pic comparing the cockpit of the new Wing vs. my F6B, focusing on legroom.

https://imgur.com/a/mCUxA

The view from the cockpit is stunningly different. Picture going from driving a Lincoln Town Car to a Honda Civic...that what it is like. The fairing, instrument panel, and controls may not measure much narrower, but the feeling is significantly different. Gauges are higher, more upright and its packaging is smaller. The Fairing itself is much more streamlined ... and far more compact. The riding position, as mentioned, feels great. The bike was on the center stand, so I did not get the chance to balance the weight, but the narrower feel, and much more upright position feels as if it was meant for long-haul ergonomic comfort. Sitting on the bike in a riding position made me feel as if I would have a lot of confidence going into sharp curves.

There is much more foot room. My legs and feet are cramped on my F6B ... not enough to be annoying, but noticeable. The new Wing has plenty of leg and foot. Obviously, one cannot stretch their legs the way it can be done on a cruiser with a V twin, but much improved. Not sure where they found all the space.

The handlebars felt exactly in the right place.

The seat feels good, with lots of support.

Again, from an ergonomics perspective, this new Wing is solid. Honda seems to have spent a lot of time considering the perch and how the bike fits your body.

4. Controls and switches look and feel typical high-quality Honda. Bags and trunk now open with a small square push button rather than a latch. The trunk did not have a liner, but it is possible that the techs did not have that installed yet...or, perhaps, it doesn't come with one. For comparison, the Venture trunk is fully lined with car trunk like material.

5. The techs fired up the motor for me. The whirring sound of the new combined alternator/starter sounds completely different, like a front loading washer starting up on spin cycle. The engine itself has a more gruff sound to it ... typical for a multi-valve motor compared to a two-valve of the same type. It no longer sounds like a big electric motor until past 3000 rpm, like our previous generation sixes sound. Very aggressive sounding while revving in neutral...and rpms come in a hurry when the throttle is twisted.

Overall, this bike is going to shock a lot of full Wingers who have been used to a certain look and feel from their big touring bikes going back 30 years. I am not sure how this much of a change is going to be accepted ... perhaps Honda is willing to take that chance in order to draw some new buyers in? That's a chance Harley hasn't been willing to take yet.

I was quite impressed, much more so than the Venture I sat on yesterday.

choptop
02-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Nice observations.

willtill
02-04-2018, 06:58 AM
Your comparison pictures are great. Really appreciate you posting those. Gives a better impression between the old vs new features of the G/W.

lloydmoore1
02-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the post. I'm 6'1'' and was wondering how my legs would fit. Great info and pics

Broken Hand
02-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Great post. Thanks for your time and excellent perspective pics. Can’t wait to see these in the wild. White, blue, and bronze look the best. Honda shrunk the size while giving more cockpit room, amazing feat of ingenuity. Enough for me trade in my F6B? Almost, but I wish the trunk could be more easily taken off and on. My wife will only ride if I have a big, secure seat on the back, but even then, that will be 2% of my riding time. 1st world problems. Hah!

Flat6Fool
02-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the review / information. I'll be test riding a Tour today as that's all the Powerhouse dealership nearest to me (Al Lamb's) currently has. Looking very much forward to it.

opas ride
02-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the review / information. I'll be test riding a Tour today as that's all the Powerhouse dealership nearest to me (Al Lamb's) currently has. Looking very much forward to it.

Let us know your opinions and other details when you can and have a great ride....Regards

McFarland
02-09-2018, 04:45 PM
I have mine! 2018 Goldwing DCT in matte silver. Traded in 2015 Wing. Only rode about 50 miles (cold in South Dakota), but I am going to love it. Obviously lighter and more nimble. Narrower, so it is easier and safer to reach the ground. Sounds good, looks great, much more comfortable seat and bar relationship. I need sunshine!

blackmetoc
02-09-2018, 06:39 PM
I hear Brookhaven, MS has some in stock. That is a few hours away. I don't know if they are on the coast yet.

blackmetoc
02-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Awesome, I expect you won't be riding too much until it warms a wee bit.

Sonny
02-09-2018, 06:44 PM
I hear Brookhaven, MS has some in stock. That is a few hours away. I don't know if they are on the coast yet.

I was able to test ride one in Covington. That's a fair bit closer than brookhaven

blackmetoc
02-09-2018, 10:25 PM
I was able to test ride one in Covington. That's a fair bit closer than brookhaven

I need to see if either of the shops here have one and if not, ride over to Covington. Depends on the rain this weekend.

Flat6Fool
02-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Well I must say I am very impressed with the new Gold Wing (Tour) after getting to test ride today. They didn't have any F6B equivalent Wings today, so the Tour had to do and I had no problem with the "want" of throwing a leg over. This was the first time I've ever ridden a Gold Wing with the third bag on the back, as I've only ridden / owned a '14 Valkyrie and my current '13 F6B.

There's no way my little review will kick as much ass as VStarRider had written up above. But I'll give it a go nonetheless.

* One of the first things I noticed right away was the subtle difference with the added weight of the top bag and it's affect on handling at very slow speeds. Not a big deal and really no different (outside of the weight being less) than riding an F6B with a passenger. I believe the rear bag weights about 60 lbs. But once I got moving over 5 mph I couldn't even tell I was riding the full Tour model.

* The riding position I thought felt a bit better than that of the F6B. I'm 6'2" / 260 and the leg room / position definitely felt better and my legs didn't want to bow out while the feet are on the pegs like they tend to do on the F6B (for me anyway). I personally liked the seat on the new wing better than the F6B. It felt more like I was "planted" in the seat and I noticed a bit more support on the lower back when accellerating in "Sport" mode. And holy crap more on that in a bit. :)

* The new double wishbone suspension is definitely worth all the pub it's been given with all the initial reviews on the web / YouTube. It really does absorb whatever the road is delving out much better than the conventional front telescopic forks we're all accustomed to on the F6B (and most other motos). For a brief period during some in-town riding, I was purposefully trying to run over metal covers, city titties, grooves in the road, etc. to get a good feel for the front suspension. Very impressed with it to say the least. The last little bit regarding the new front suspension is the utter fascination I had just staring at the tie rods that connect the handle bars to the main suspension unit. The are constantly bouncing up in down (mostly in about 1/2" iterations) really fast as the front end is lapping up every little bump in the road. It was just very mesmerizing to me. When you first ride one you'll see what I'm referring to.

* The new instrument panel / LED gauges were "very" easy to see when direct sunlight was hitting it. I'm not sure if it actually has "auto dimming" like a smart phone has for different lighting conditions, but it seemed it was adjusting itself when the sun was hitting it. Anyway very well laid out in my opinion and really just looks bad-ass. In the 30 minutes I was on it, I didn't get to tinker with all the controls on the left handle grip (where most are), but for what I was able to play around with I thought they were very easy to access and laid out well.

* The F6B horn is loud as hell and the new Wing horn is even louder. LOL!

* I noticed what seemed to be just a bit less space between the left head/valve cover/plastic housing in front of the gear shift. Not a big deal, but occasionally I would hit the back of that area with the tip of my boot when shifting. Again definitely feel this is something that would just take some getting used to as I'm 32,000 miles of "used to" on my F6B.

* Okay now on to the different ride modes. I left the dealer ship in the "Tour" mode and I thought it had plenty of power. Really smooth delivery like we're all used to, just not as much as we're used to with the F6B. After riding for a few miles I decided to switch into "Sport" mode and man you can really feel it in the seat of your pants and shoulders. We all know that the F6B by no means is slow or laggy, but this new Wing delivers the power and acceleration with awesome authority. I have a Yamaha FZ-09 that has 3 different modes and in the "A" mode it doesn't restrict fuel, etc. just like the "Sport" mode on the new Wing. The FZ-09 will rip your shoulders out of socket if you're not "ready" when you open the throttle. I kid you not the new Wing gave me an almost identical sensation when twisting the throttle open in "Sport" mode. Just like the FZ-09's throttle by wire, I noticed a little (not a lot) of some jerky-ness while in "Sport" mode. Not bad, but again I believe this will just take some getting used to and don't feel it will be any issue once one has ridden it for a bit over time. I've no doubt that the full Gold Wing Tour I rode today would smoke an F6B. It really seemed to be quicker than what I already think it quick in the F6B.

* I really like the exhaust note on the new Wing. For those who like the quiet and virtual non existent exhaust note like that of the previous gen, have no fear as it's not "loud", it just has more of a lower rumble that you can definitely hear through the RPM range. I've got RUSH Big Louie's on the F6B and it's not close to being that loud. It's just a nice touch that I think most everyone will appreciate. I personally would definitely get some more RUSH pipes for the new Wing as I like more audible / louder exhausts personally.

* Overall I'm really impressed after the short time I got to spend on it. There's no doubt that I'll be looking to part ways with the F6B and get on one sometime in the near future if I'm able. If you're fortunate to be near a Powerhouse / Tier 5 dealer, get up their and give one a test ride. Most other dealerships should start receiving shipments in the coming weeks. Will all be thoroughly impressed and want to trade in / sell their F6B to get one? Absolutely not. But I still think you'll appreciate greatly all the features and performance that Honda put into the next Gen Wing over the last 4 years of development.

willtill
02-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I got an email from a local Honda dealer that they have one on the floor. Going to check it out at noon.

'gw-smiley'

willtill
02-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Well I went and checked it out today. Surprisingly it didn't "wow" me in person, maybe because of all of the online analysis and pictures I have seen previously.

Still a nice bike but I do not have any yearnings to own one at this time. My F6B is still perfect for me; and for what I have done and invested in it. Maybe several years down the road I'll contemplate a new series Wing... but for the intermediate future my F6B stays.

F6Bster
02-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Still a nice bike but I do not have any yearnings to own one at this time. My F6B is still perfect for me; and for what I have done and invested in it. Maybe several years down the road I'll contemplate a new series Wing... but for the intermediate future my F6B stays.
:agree::icon_ditto:

willtill
02-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Bee watching another review on it... seems that there is drone from the exhaust from around 1900 - 2700 rpms.... starting at 9:24 in the below video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHN3iQ6BZo

He summarizes about it again at 22:30 in the video above.

blackmetoc
02-19-2018, 08:38 PM

They have one at the show room in Picayune. It is white. I like that paint job.

keller123
03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???

doubleh
03-13-2018, 06:25 AM
test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???Any specifics in comparison to the F6B as far as ride, performance, handling, comfort? Also, how was the DTC trans? Although I've never rode a motorcycle with this type of trans, I doubt I would care for it.
Thanks

keller123
03-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Any specifics in comparison to the F6B as far as ride, performance, handling, comfort? Also, how was the DTC trans? Although I've never rode a motorcycle with this type of trans, I doubt I would care for it.
Thanks

Yeah I test drove the tour, with the full top case, and the maneuverability was the same if not better than the F6B! That part of the bike I was really impressed. Of course there's less vibration from the front, I would say reduced about 60% from the F6B due to the new front suspension, I am not a fan of the DCT for the short time that I was on the bike, about 30 minutes, I know people try to compare it to a car, but there's no comparison with an automatic motorcycle compared to an automatic car. For me I didn't like it, I want to be able to Glide up to a stop pulling in the clutch, also forget about slow Maneuvers using the brake and throttle, you can't do it with the DCT to my knowledge. In all fairness, people that have gotten the DCT say you do get used to it, in knowing where the bike wants your hand on the throttle, I just still prefer manual, I did a YouTube video on the 15000 mile review of the F6B that I talked about this extensively so you may want to Google it. The Comfort was great, you do get a little more wind, at least I got more wind since I have a mad stad on my F6B

Hurricane
03-13-2018, 11:34 AM
From a 2013 F6B to a 2018 Goldwing DCT
Some background:
I have been riding for more than 50 years and I have owned many, many bikes; the most recent are listed below (obviously, some were owned simultaneously). The mileage given for each bike is the approximate mileage indicated when I got rid of the named bike.

1997 Valkyrie Tourer (Black – 45,000 miles)
1999 Valkyrie Interstate (Black – 48,000 miles)
2001 Goldwing (Black – 125,000 miles)
2004 Goldwing (Silver 15,000 miles)
2005 Honda VTX 1800 (maroon and black, 15,000 miles)
2007 Kawasaki 1600 Mean Streak (black with flames, 7,000 miles)
2008 Goldwing (Red – 92,000 miles)
2013 F6B (Black, 7,500 miles, wrecked)
2013 F6B (Black, 75,000 miles)
2018 Goldwing (Silver, new, presently ~1000 miles)

I recently rode my 2013 F6B from my home in Hurricane, UT, to Sierra Vista, AZ, circa 600 miles, where I traded it for a silver 2018 Goldwing DCT which I then rode from Sierra Vista back to Hurricane, UT. In what follows, I will seek to compare my 2018 Goldwing with my 2013 F6B and two other bikes that I have test-ridden recently.
First of all, the appearance:

As they say, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. In my opinion, the F6B was the most esthetically pleasing big Honda every made, at least until the 2018 model appeared. Now, I am uncertain as to which is the best looking. The downward slope of the fairing on the F6B, picked up by the slope traced on the side bags was inspired. The second generation Goldwing (2012 – 2017) had the same basic lines, but the effect was destroyed when Honda decided to go on the cheap, and carry over the first generation trunk to the second generation Wing; BIG mistake Honda.
To compare the F6B styling to the styling of the 2018 Goldwing is sort of an apples vs oranges sort of thing. The styling of the new Wing is “edgy”; it reflects a more contemporary motif and clearly takes some getting used to. I like it a lot, but I can certainly see why many would hold that the F6B is more attractive.
Why did I trade bikes?
In the past 6 months I have test-ridden the Indian Chieftain, the BMW 1600B, my F6B and the 2018 Goldwing.
The Indian is nicely finished, has adequate but not exciting power, and it is fairly smooth for a twin. However, riding an air-cooled V-twin in southern Utah, where summer temperatures are routinely in triple digits (and the second digit is not always zero) is, IMO, out of the question. Besides, in the year 2018 I don’t fancy a bike that looks like something you might find under a dusty tarp in your grandfather’s barn.
The BMW 1600B is a beautiful bike, impeccably finished, smooth and comfortable, it handles superbly, and the power, OMG the power, is out of this world. However, having owned two BMW “Z” cars, I am reluctant to rejoin the Teutonic admiration society. Put another way, BMW dealers (and owners?) have been known to have serious attitude problems.
The F6B is an amazing bike and I loved it. It is smooth, powerful, reliable, comfortable, handles beautifully and it’s gorgeous. Unfortunately, its electronics are outdated, cruise control came late to the party (BIG mistake Honda), the stock suspension is not remarkable, and it desperately needs another gear. Here in the southwest, where speed limits are frequently 80 MPH, and people routinely drive 90 MPH, the engine spinning in the area of 3500 rpm can get a bit tiring on a long trip.
The 2018 Goldwing is a thoroughly modern motorcycle with every imaginable bell and whistle. It is smooth, modestly more powerful than its predecessors, the front suspension is simply amazing, and it is a bit lighter than the previous models. Standard features include, but are not limited to, navigation, cruise control, ABS brakes, electric windshield, Apple Play, throttle by wire, key-fob access, and four riding modes (Tour, Sport (exciting!), Economy and Rain). With the available DCT transmission it also provides a forward and reverse “walking” mode and paddle-shifting if you select the manual mode.
The down-sides of this bike, compared to the F6B, include smaller side bags, a slightly higher seat, and a smaller gas tank (although I have found the range to be about the same because of better mileage). And, unfortunately, there is the much higher price!
It is the best bike I have ever ridden by a substantial margin, followed by the F6B. On a long trip, at least on my 600 mile trip returning to Utah from Arizona, I found it more relaxing than the F6B because of the automatic transmission, which is amazingly smooth and convenient, and the lower RPM (reduced 5-600 RPM compared to the F6B) at cruising speed.
It is no exaggeration to say that this bike brings the motorcycle to a new level of comfort and sophistication. If I had to use one term to characterize riding this bike with the DCT transmission it would be “relaxing.” The seat is good, it is only spinning circa 2500 rpm at 75 mph, and the wind protection is adequate; perhaps a bit less than the previous Wing models, but good enough. And, there are genuine Honda add-ons to increase the wind protection.
In terms of passenger comfort, there is a bit of controversy. Yes, it is pretty hard to top the “princess” seat of the earlier Wing models, but many test-passengers have rated the new Wing as “comfortable” and a few even thought it was more comfortable than previous Wing models. It is going to depend on the rider. The passenger seat no longer “surrounds” the rider like it did on the earlier models and the passenger “grab” handles are not very conveniently placed.
The available luggage space is a lot less – no question about that. This is likely the most serious and non-controversial failing of the bike.
If you want to play, you can hustle the DCT bike through canyons in the “sport” mode and give most sport bikes and crotch rockets a good run. It handles beautifully under all conditions; never a twitch, no “hinge in the middle”, and the automatic shifting is so smooth that it does not upset even the tightest line.
All of that and the new suspension is so compliant that it has to be experienced to be believed.
The 7-speed DCT transmission is really the piece de resistance here. I was originally skeptical and, in fact, my original order was for a standard 6-speed. Take it from me - you DO NOT want to do that. The DCT is simply marvelous.
You start this bike with a tap of the start button (just like your car, just tap the start button and the computer takes over and starts the motor).
The bike comes to life in neutral and in “tour” mode. Press “D” (drive) and just twist the throttle and you are going. The automatic shifting is smooth and positive. If you are in “sport” mode and you grab a whole handful on start-up, you will flatten your eyeballs.
It down-shifts automatically when you come to a stop. The computer even seems to sense when you hit the brakes on a steep down-slope at speed, and drops down a gear to aid you in the braking; VERY slick.
Or, if you want to make a quick pass, just hit the “down-shift” button on the left handle bar with your thumb and accelerate to pass; the transmission will then smoothly up-shift when you ease off the throttle after the pass.
If you set the manual mode the rider is in control of the shift points with the paddle shifters. The paddle shift controls are perfectly placed ergonomically. In manual mode, the transmission will down shift, as required, when you come to a stop but it will NOT up-shift automatically.
“Walking mode” lets you maneuver forward and back using the paddle shift controls; the down-shift button for reverse, the up-shift button for forward. This is VERY convenient for parking.
I have never ridden the 6-speed, manual transmission bike. However, the reports from some of the testers suggest that it is much improved in terms of smoothness compared to the previous Wings.
Finally, Honda is attempting to change the Goldwing culture, a notoriously reactionary culture, with this svelte and more “athletic” new Wing. I, for one, am happy to get with the program, but I wait and watch with interest to see what the consensus of the Goldwing community will be.
I think that Honda hit it out of the park with this new bike!

John Marshall
Hurricane, UT

opas ride
03-13-2018, 01:21 PM
John, Thanks for the great review of the 2018 Goldwing..I am 78 this year and age is slowing me down at bit, but I might consider trading my 2013 F6B for the new one. Your bike history is almost identical to mine and years of riding about the same..I put far less miles on bikes than you living in Michigan, but still enjoy riding when I can..Originally from Provo, raised in Denver and have family currently in Southern Utah and surrounding area...(lucky guy)..I have not yet ridden the new version of the bike but hope to soon...Leaning toward the base version with manual transmission at this point as I rarely ride more than 150 miles at one time anymore..Good luck with your new ride and hope all works out...BTW, I will probably wait until the fall to get serious about trading and perhaps able to make a deal on one around then...Regards and ride safe

doubleh
03-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Yeah I test drove the tour, with the full top case, and the maneuverability was the same if not better than the F6B! That part of the bike I was really impressed. Of course there's less vibration from the front, I would say reduced about 60% from the F6B due to the new front suspension, I am not a fan of the DCT for the short time that I was on the bike, about 30 minutes, I know people try to compare it to a car, but there's no comparison with an automatic motorcycle compared to an automatic car. For me I didn't like it, I want to be able to Glide up to a stop pulling in the clutch, also forget about slow Maneuvers using the brake and throttle, you can't do it with the DCT to my knowledge. In all fairness, people that have gotten the DCT say you do get used to it, in knowing where the bike wants your hand on the throttle, I just still prefer manual, I did a YouTube video on the 15000 mile review of the F6B that I talked about this extensively so you may want to Google it. The Comfort was great, you do get a little more wind, at least I got more wind since I have a mad stad on my F6B

Some background:
I have been riding for more than 50 years and I have owned many, many bikes; the most recent are listed below (obviously, some were owned simultaneously). The mileage given for each bike is the approximate mileage indicated when I got rid of the named bike.

I recently rode my 2013 F6B from my home in Hurricane, UT, to Sierra Vista, AZ, circa 600 miles, where I traded it for a silver 2018 Goldwing DCT which I then rode from Sierra Vista back to Hurricane, UT. In what follows, I will seek to compare my 2018 Goldwing with my 2013 F6B and two other bikes that I have test-ridden recently.

As they say, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. In my opinion, the F6B was the most esthetically pleasing big Honda every made, at least until the 2018 model appeared. Now, I am uncertain as to which is the best looking. The downward slope of the fairing on the F6B, picked up by the slope traced on the side bags was inspired. The second generation Goldwing (2012 – 2017) had the same basic lines, but the effect was destroyed when Honda decided to go on the cheap, and carry over the first generation trunk to the second generation Wing; BIG mistake Honda.
To compare the F6B styling to the styling of the 2018 Goldwing is sort of an apples vs oranges sort of thing. The styling of the new Wing is “edgy”; it reflects a more contemporary motif and clearly takes some getting used to. I like it a lot, but I can certainly see why many would hold that the F6B is more attractive.
Why did I trade bikes?
In the past 6 months I have test-ridden the Indian Chieftain, the BMW 1600B, my F6B and the 2018 Goldwing.
The Indian is nicely finished, has adequate but not exciting power, and it is fairly smooth for a twin. However, riding an air-cooled V-twin in southern Utah, where summer temperatures are routinely in triple digits (and the second digit is not always zero) is, IMO, out of the question. Besides, in the year 2018 I don’t fancy a bike that looks like something you might find under a dusty tarp in your grandfather’s barn.
The BMW 1600B is a beautiful bike, impeccably finished, smooth and comfortable, it handles superbly, and the power, OMG the power, is out of this world. However, having owned two BMW “Z” cars, I am reluctant to rejoin the Teutonic admiration society. Put another way, BMW dealers (and owners?) have been known to have serious attitude problems.
The F6B is an amazing bike and I loved it. It is smooth, powerful, reliable, comfortable, handles beautifully and it’s gorgeous. Unfortunately, its electronics are outdated, cruise control came late to the party (BIG mistake Honda), the stock suspension is not remarkable, and it desperately needs another gear. Here in the southwest, where speed limits are frequently 80 MPH, and people routinely drive 90 MPH, the engine spinning in the area of 3500 rpm can get a bit tiring on a long trip.
The 2018 Goldwing is a thoroughly modern motorcycle with every imaginable bell and whistle. It is smooth, modestly more powerful than its predecessors, the front suspension is simply amazing, and it is a bit lighter than the previous models. Standard features include, but are not limited to, navigation, cruise control, ABS brakes, electric windshield, Apple Play, throttle by wire, key-fob access, and four riding modes (Tour, Sport (exciting!), Economy and Rain). With the available DCT transmission it also provides a forward and reverse “walking” mode and paddle-shifting if you select the manual mode.
The down-sides of this bike, compared to the F6B, include smaller side bags, a slightly higher seat, and a smaller gas tank (although I have found the range to be about the same because of better mileage). And, unfortunately, there is the much higher price!
It is the best bike I have ever ridden by a substantial margin, followed by the F6B. On a long trip, at least on my 600 mile trip returning to Utah from Arizona, I found it more relaxing than the F6B because of the automatic transmission, which is amazingly smooth and convenient, and the lower RPM (reduced 5-600 RPM compared to the F6B) at cruising speed.
It is no exaggeration to say that this bike brings the motorcycle to a new level of comfort and sophistication. If I had to use one term to characterize riding this bike with the DCT transmission it would be “relaxing.” The seat is good, it is only spinning circa 2500 rpm at 75 mph, and the wind protection is adequate; perhaps a bit less than the previous Wing models, but good enough. And, there are genuine Honda add-ons to increase the wind protection.
In terms of passenger comfort, there is a bit of controversy. Yes, it is pretty hard to top the “princess” seat of the earlier Wing models, but many test-passengers have rated the new Wing as “comfortable” and a few even thought it was more comfortable than previous Wing models. It is going to depend on the rider. The passenger seat no longer “surrounds” the rider like it did on the earlier models and the passenger “grab” handles are not very conveniently placed.
The available luggage space is a lot less – no question about that. This is likely the most serious and non-controversial failing of the bike.
If you want to play, you can hustle the DCT bike through canyons in the “sport” mode and give most sport bikes and crotch rockets a good run. It handles beautifully under all conditions; never a twitch, no “hinge in the middle”, and the automatic shifting is so smooth that it does not upset even the tightest line.
All of that and the new suspension is so compliant that it has to be experienced to be believed.
The 7-speed DCT transmission is really the piece de resistance here. I was originally skeptical and, in fact, my original order was for a standard 6-speed. Take it from me - you DO NOT want to do that. The DCT is simply marvelous.
You start this bike with a tap of the start button (just like your car, just tap the start button and the computer takes over and starts the motor).
The bike comes to life in neutral and in “tour” mode. Press “D” (drive) and just twist the throttle and you are going. The automatic shifting is smooth and positive. If you are in “sport” mode and you grab a whole handful on start-up, you will flatten your eyeballs.
It down-shifts automatically when you come to a stop. The computer even seems to sense when you hit the brakes on a steep down-slope at speed, and drops down a gear to aid you in the braking; VERY slick.
Or, if you want to make a quick pass, just hit the “down-shift” button on the left handle bar with your thumb and accelerate to pass; the transmission will then smoothly up-shift when you ease off the throttle after the pass.
If you set the manual mode the rider is in control of the shift points with the paddle shifters. The paddle shift controls are perfectly placed ergonomically. In manual mode, the transmission will down shift, as required, when you come to a stop but it will NOT up-shift automatically.
“Walking mode” lets you maneuver forward and back using the paddle shift controls; the down-shift button for reverse, the up-shift button for forward. This is VERY convenient for parking.
I have never ridden the 6-speed, manual transmission bike. However, the reports from some of the testers suggest that it is much improved in terms of smoothness compared to the previous Wings.
Finally, Honda is attempting to change the Goldwing culture, a notoriously reactionary culture, with this svelte and more “athletic” new Wing. I, for one, am happy to get with the program, but I wait and watch with interest to see what the consensus of the Goldwing community will be.

John Marshall
Hurricane, UTCongratulations to both of you on your new rides.
Thanks for the impressions/comparisons.
Enjoy!

DaWadd
03-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Good write up. Definitely agree that the F6B is a looker. I'm not quite there with the looks of the new Wing but am in love with the BMW 1600B.

keller123
03-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Some background:

Why did I trade bikes?

John Marshall
Hurricane, UT

Hey great right up John, yeah I just may have not spent enough time on the DCT because I just didn't like it, especially in speeds under 25 30 miles an hour I just felt like the bike was clunking around a bit trying to find the right match, I'm not sure even with the paddle shifting how you can get complete control like you do with the clutch, especially when it comes to clutch, braking, slow maneuvering that I love to do. I'd be interested for any comments on that piece, I don't see how it's even possible to do that combination with the automatic DCT, and again gliding to a stop side seems to be completely off the table. I guess I'm just a control freak! LOL, I wouldn't hesitate though because of everything else you said is spot-on, to go with the manual full tour model, amazing the maneuverability and handling this thing has! I prefer the sport tour versus the tour sport for sure, I guess that's why I have an F6B. But again hearing complaints about the weak volume on the radio, I would definitely ask dealer to install the upgraded amplifier before I purchase. Again jury still out if that was just me and not adjusting things prior to the test ride or if indeed Honda messed up a little on the volume issue.

Hurricane
03-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Hey great right up John, yeah I just may have not spent enough time on the DCT because I just didn't like it, especially in speeds under 25 30 miles an hour I just felt like the bike was clunking around a bit trying to find the right match, I'm not sure even with the paddle shifting how you can get complete control like you do with the clutch, especially when it comes to clutch, braking, slow maneuvering that I love to do. I'd be interested for any comments on that piece, I don't see how it's even possible to do that combination with the automatic DCT, and again gliding to a stop side seems to be completely off the table. I guess I'm just a control freak! LOL, I wouldn't hesitate though because of everything else you said is spot-on, to go with the manual full tour model, amazing the maneuverability and handling this thing has! I prefer the sport tour versus the tour sport for sure, I guess that's why I have an F6B. But again hearing complaints about the weak volume on the radio, I would definitely ask dealer to install the upgraded amplifier before I purchase. Again jury still out if that was just me and not adjusting things prior to the test ride or if indeed Honda messed up a little on the volume issue.

Keller123:
Actually, now that I read what I said I was a bit heavy handed. Your concerns are Very real. The DCT does take a way a bit of control in much the same way that an automatic transmission in a car does when you are used to down-shifting a manual transmission for deceleration and corning control. And, coming to a stop sign is a very different experience with the DCT. However, I did find that it gets a bit smoother and more manageable as you get used to it; how you handle the throttle makes all the difference in the world. As a personal choice, I am willing to give up some control of the shift points for the convenience of not having to shift, but not everyone will willing to make that choice.