PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong? Not a quick detach trunk

Broken Hand
02-07-2018, 06:49 PM
http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08F71-MKC-A00.pdf

Putting the trunk back on looks like a hassle. Too bad.

shortleg0521
02-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Ya it looks like they may have made it more work than was needed.
Why not just four bolts and a plug?

lloydmoore1
02-07-2018, 06:59 PM
49 steps ...11 pages...yep should be a breeze. Better not be attempted with beer in hand....

dadeo
02-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Insane.

But then so is error message I just got that I have to have a response with 10 characters minimum. So here.

Retired Army
02-08-2018, 08:31 AM
How many more steps to reset the message in the opening ceremony after disconnecting the battery?

olegoat345
02-08-2018, 09:34 AM
I'll never understand why some folks make something hard out of something simple / easy. I use a SW Motec rack, w/ GIVI 3 point mount & a GIVI side pannier as a top box. Off-On in 2 seconds. I would think HONDA could come up w/ something just as simple. Why not contract their top boxes out to GIVI? = Oh I see, it's money.

Broken Hand
02-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Perhaps some bold 3rd party accessory vendor can come up with their own quick-detach bracket/harness. You never know.

druggr
02-08-2018, 03:36 PM
If a shop were doing it, they'd charge you at lease 3.0-hrs of labor.

ths61
02-09-2018, 02:11 AM
Ya it looks like they may have made it more work than was needed.
Why not just four bolts and a plug?

It is missing the plug because the trunk has no running, turn, brake, hazard lights. They simplified the procedure by getting rid of the safety features. :stirthepot:

Zteve
02-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Looks about as much fun as changing my B's air filter. Yeah, that box isn't coming off much.

Flat6Fool
02-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Yeah that's absurd. You'd think Honda could come up with a feasible way to take off and on relatively quickly / easily. I mean damn if Harley can do it.

Hopefully they'll be an aftermarket kit that someone puts out to make it easy like Honda should have designed in the first place. :mad:

Jimmytee
02-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Gives me another excuse to wait and see what develops in the aftermarket or possibly with the next model year of Gold Wing.

Felloverboard
02-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Easy on... Easy off. Just insert key into topbox and push the bottom buttom to take off instead of the top button to unlock lid.
GIVI case, but there some knockoffs cheap on ebay. I inserted LED lights in mine with a trailer plug attachment coming from under the seat for Brake and running lights only.4763

VStarRider
02-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Gives me another excuse to wait and see what develops in the aftermarket or possibly with the next model year of Gold Wing.

My thoughts exactly. There will be updates and changes, after all it is a brand new machine.

In my experience, Japanese manufacturers are not keen on making their products adaptable, at least not easily. Ski Doo and Polaris snowmobiles use quick connect-and-detach mechanisms to get commonly removed/re-attached accessories on and off their machines quickly. Ski Doo (and I think Can-Am uses these, too) system is called Lin-Q. Anyway, I have owned a bunch of Yamaha sleds and nothing is easily removed or adjusted.

Classic example: my Ski Doo sleds have seats that use a latch that snaps the seat into place, making it easily removed. My Yamaha sled seats? U-bolts with Nylok nuts.

My theory on this is that build quality and durability trump everything in Japanese engineering culture. Therefore, they build their products to a permanent state; that way, they can ensure trouble-free, vibration free, life out of everything. By snapping and quick-attaching things back together and off again, that may end up varying the quality of the final product.

I dunno, just my two cents.

Sorcerer
02-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Yup HDs detachable saddle bags. I’ve seen bags coming off going down the road. Straps holding on BMW bags in place. Along with every year GL with some one losing side covers and bag lids. If something is detachable on a motorcycle it has or willl fall off. Human nature being what it is and being in a hurry or being a fumble fingers will mean parts sliding down the road.