PDA

View Full Version : Sure hope I made the right decision on the F6B?

NCF6B
11-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Just traded my fully loaded 06 wing for a standard F6B. The wing was just becoming a weight management issue taking the fun out of riding. The bagger just seems lighter and easier to manage. Going to miss all of the things like heat, reverse and CB. Time will tell if it's the right decision. Any thought appreciated! NCF6B

Mustangjake
11-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Cruise control will be missed !
And the stock windshield sucks !

Cool Hand Luke
11-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Welcome! I also sold my 2007 GW, fully loaded, for F6B. I also thought initially that F6B would be a downgrade from GW, but then I test rode F6B.

I like the way F6B looks and rides MUCH BETTER than GW. I also am more comfortable on F6B due to seat design, and I still use stock seat (with Airhawk cushion I used for years).

After test riding F6B I started thinking:

1. I ride solo 99.56474% of the time :-). So no need for trunk with backrest for passenger. I am looking to have a luggage rack with quick disconnect mounting for Shad case on it in case I do have a passenger (sometimes my mom comes for a visit and she is more likely to go on a road trip with me than my wife), but only then as I like the clean lines of the back end without any rack or backrest on it. Which is why I bought the standard version F6B.

2. I used to own both BMW K1200LT and GW, both of which have reverse. After I gave it a thought I realized I very rarely used this feature. I also own an HD and I do have a habit of backing up while parking so I can just get going. Also, it just makes a good riding practice, if youpark nose down you must also leave bike in gear when parked, and even with reverse it is somewhat precarious backing up uphill anyways. I can very easily push F6B back on a level ground, no problems at all. Since I bought F6B I have over 10,000 miles on it. I did several major trips including Americade, 3,000+ miles in 8 days (I know Miles, that's just going to gas up for you ;-)) and Biketoberfest. Right now I am in Brevard NC riding and looking at leaves changing color, it is beautiful! The point it is I haven't needed reverse gear at all!

3. I did like using cruise. I bought throttlemeister. It is a throttle lock device. It works great, I really like it, easy to modulate, in fact I use it as much as I did cruise. Me and my small group of friends always ride on two lane country roads, I avoid interstates as a rule, so cruise is not very useful on twisty small roads. I am usually the one to lead the group so I set the pace, therefore as I use the throttle lock it is fine. I believe it is because of great engine GW and F6B have, lots of torque, that throttle lock does a great job, engine can keep up the speed and only small amounts of throttle correction are needed.

4. Heated gear is easy. You can add heated grips (standard on deluxe version anyways) but I decided not to. I use heated clothing and heated gloves. In the past I literally had blisters on the palms of my hands from heated grips. As it was very cold outside I tended to grip stronger. Mypalms were warm but the outside of my hands was still cold. So, I decided to go with heated gloves instead, they simply plug in the sleeves of heated jacket so looks clean.

You can add heated seat, which after reading past posts of Miles I decided not to pursue. I believe Miles is correct in that heated seat fatigues you sooner. I think it is better to have heated clothing on. F6B protects the legs great. Having a heated jacket or vest under your jacket will keep your blood warm so it will circulate in your legs and arms too.

5. First thing I changed was the windshield. The stock one is crap. I use Baggershield which can be adjusted, it works great for me. Believe it or not it bothers me more not to have a power windshield on F6B than reverse! I am hoping that Pete from BikeMP3 will eventually offer a dark tinted windshield for his power system, or maybe adopt my existing Baggershield to work with power system, that would be perfect. Until then I'm OK.

6. I added Garmin GPS, the one on my GW was terrible. Much better now.

I hope this helps. F6B is probably one of the best bikes in the world for what it does and all shortcomings can be dealt with.

NCF6B
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Welcome! I also sold my 2007 GW, fully loaded, for F6B. I also thought initially that F6B would be a downgrade from GW, but then I test rode F6B.

I like the way F6B looks and rides MUCH BETTER than GW. I also am more comfortable on F6B due to seat design, and I still use stock seat (with Airhawk cushion I used for years).

After test riding F6B I started thinking:

1. I ride solo 99.56474% of the time :-). So no need for trunk with backrest for passenger. I am looking to have a luggage rack with quick disconnect mounting for Shad case on it in case I do have a passenger (sometimes my mom comes for a visit and she is more likely to go on a road trip with me than my wife), but only then as I like the clean lines of the back end without any rack or backrest on it. Which is why I bought the standard version F6B.

2. I used to own both BMW K1200LT and GW, both of which have reverse. After I gave it a thought I realized I very rarely used this feature. I also own an HD and I do have a habit of backing up while parking so I can just get going. Also, it just makes a good riding practice, if youpark nose down you must also leave bike in gear when parked, and even with reverse it is somewhat precarious backing up uphill anyways. I can very easily push F6B back on a level ground, no problems at all. Since I bought F6B I have over 10,000 miles on it. I did several major trips including Americade, 3,000+ miles in 8 days (I know Miles, that's just going to gas up for you ;-)) and Biketoberfest. Right now I am in Brevard NC riding and looking at leaves changing color, it is beautiful! The point it is I haven't needed reverse gear at all!

3. I did like using cruise. I bought throttlemeister. It is a throttle lock device. It works great, I really like it, easy to modulate, in fact I use it as much as I did cruise. Me and my small group of friends always ride on two lane country roads, I avoid interstates as a rule, so cruise is not very useful on twisty small roads. I am usually the one to lead the group so I set the pace, therefore as I use the throttle lock it is fine. I believe it is because of great engine GW and F6B have, lots of torque, that throttle lock does a great job, engine can keep up the speed and only small amounts of throttle correction are needed.

4. Heated gear is easy. You can add heated grips (standard on deluxe version anyways) but I decided not to. I use heated clothing and heated gloves. In the past I literally had blisters on the palms of my hands from heated grips. As it was very cold outside I tended to grip stronger. Mypalms were warm but the outside of my hands was still cold. So, I decided to go with heated gloves instead, they simply plug in the sleeves of heated jacket so looks clean.

You can add heated seat, which after reading past posts of Miles I decided not to pursue. I believe Miles is correct in that heated seat fatigues you sooner. I think it is better to have heated clothing on. F6B protects the legs great. Having a heated jacket or vest under your jacket will keep your blood warm so it will circulate in your legs and arms too.

5. First thing I changed was the windshield. The stock one is crap. I use Baggershield which can be adjusted, it works great for me. Believe it or not it bothers me more not to have a power windshield on F6B than reverse! I am hoping that Pete from BikeMP3 will eventually offer a dark tinted windshield for his power system, or maybe adopt my existing Baggershield to work with power system, that would be perfect. Until then I'm OK.

6. I added Garmin GPS, the one on my GW was terrible. Much better now.

I hope this helps. F6B is probably one of the best bikes in the world for what it does and all shortcomings can be dealt with.

Wow, thanks for all the information. You covered alot of my thinking in making this decision. I really enjoy "tinkering" with my motorcycle and like adding aftermarket items. Due to pick up F6B on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again! NCf6b.

FlyinF
11-03-2013, 08:00 AM
I traded my '09 Wing for the F6 and I am really happy for the change, reverse is not an issue and neither is cruise, I use throttle lock.
As you have seen on this forum many have complained about their paint. Before you take delivery inspect your paint job and let us know what you find.
I have black and the paint job is great!

Steve 0080
11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
I think all the items mention on the wing will be missed to some degree and then you forget about them with the joy the F6 brings.... if you have been riding for a while , your first bikes did not have that stuff anyway's and we became spoiled... I use the analogy that every bike is different just like every women...you would not throw the woman out because she did not have reverse....

The aftermarket is now catching up to the F6 and there are many add on's out there.... ride your bike for a while and them pick and chose what will make the bike " yours "

Congrats !!!!! and welcome !!!!!

bob109
11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Just traded my fully loaded 06 wing for a standard F6B. The wing was just becoming a weight management issue taking the fun out of riding. The bagger just seems lighter and easier to manage. Going to miss all of the things like heat, reverse and CB. Time will tell if it's the right decision. Any thought appreciated! NCF6B

Like you I bought the Basic F6B. Before taking delivery I had the dealer install the taller OEM windshield and passenger back rest. Once in my hands I started to equip the 6 to my liking with both "home brewed" and "aftermarket" accessories. First up was the center stand (e-bay), Go Cruise Throttle Lock, Grip Puppies, Kury Highway Pegs, Cruiser Bag (re-used), Luggage Rack (Home Brewed) and a extra GL1800 Rear Wheel with General G-Max Car Tire. In retrospect, I have no regrets in my decision to upgrade from my previous Yamaha RSTD (a great bike in its own way) to the F6B. Both bikes were identical in weight but the 6 carves corners like a sport bike due to its low CG.

As you have the Basic I would highly suggest one of the first items to acquire is the center stand. It makes oil changes a snap and its great when performing mods to the bike when its in a true vertical position. Next would be the tall OEM windshield with vent. I've. had several occasions to use it on 90+ degree days and it provides some great air flow to the face and chest. Grip Puppies and Go-Cruise would be next. After that who knows but you:icon_lol:

Congratulations on your new bike and enjoy!

Bob

opas ride
11-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I did not come from the GW crowd as they were always to heavy and had a higher seat issue for me..Bought a 2011 Victory Vision Tour with a 26" seat height and all the "whistles and bells". Hardly ever used the cruise control, adjustable windshield, heated seats/grips, etc.etc. When I saw the F6B and rode one, it became the bike for me at this time in my life..(almost 74) and I love the thing...Had it custom painted Brandywine Red Metallic, added adjustable Baggershield windscreen, Cobra Six-2-Six pipes, K&N filter, Kury grips and a little chrome...Only had it a short while, but it is, so far, the nicest bike I have had in many years and I have had a boat load.....Don't ride two up anymore and only take short trips and absolutely love the power delivery and smooth performance....I would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking and is on the fence.......

unsub
11-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Just traded my fully loaded 06 wing for a standard F6B. The wing was just becoming a weight management issue taking the fun out of riding.The bagger just seems lighter and easier to manage. Going to miss all of the things like heat, reverse and CB. Time will tell if it's the right decision. Any thought appreciated! NCF6B

All true. Welcome to the F6B Fold.

NCF6B
11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
All true. Welcome to the F6B Fold.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. Got the F6B last wednesday, feel like I'm back riding a motorcycle again! Having fun "gearing" it up to my taste. Just installed a a driver's backrest, GPS, heated jacket connections and working on the center stand. Plan to install more rear lights when the weather breaks. Having fun again! Thanks to all, NCF6B

Bama Bagger
11-15-2013, 03:42 AM
Welcome to the F6B Club. I am accessorizing my bike right now and the first thing I've added was the BaggerShield as the stock unit is worthless. Corbin Saddle should be in by end of month as well as the Fork Superbrace, Muth Mirrors, BakerBuilt Hand Wings, ShowChrome Bellypan, Kuryakin Front LED Reflector Conversion, and finally for Christmas I'm redoing the lights with HID's for Low Beams, LED for Highs, and still researching Fog/Driving Lights as visibility is so key. Come Spring I'll upgrade rear lighting and exhaust! :clap2:

pblair
11-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the F6B Club. I am accessorizing my bike right now and the first thing I've added was the BaggerShield as the stock unit is worthless. Corbin Saddle should be in by end of month as well as the Fork Superbrace, Muth Mirrors, BakerBuilt Hand Wings, ShowChrome Bellypan, Kuryakin Front LED Reflector Conversion, and finally for Christmas I'm redoing the lights with HID's for Low Beams, LED for Highs, and still researching Fog/Driving Lights as visibility is so key. Come Spring I'll upgrade rear lighting and exhaust! :clap2:

Nice wish list. Consider the Kuryakyn black fork brace. It is three piece and does not force the fork tubes out of alignment, be kind to your seals. Also most prefer the Tulsa Enterprises belly pan which fits up close and gives more ground clearance plus it uses dzus 1/4 turn nuts, makes oil change a snap. Be sure to post pictures.