PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty

Draxsr
02-11-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm unable to get the search function to work out and find me the post that spoke about the best deal for an extended warranty for my B. IIRC, it was a female in Maryland?

Thanks

PA_F6Ber
02-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Dennis,

I'm guessing the search doesn't work on the new board for the old posts. It did find your new post. I think I paid ~$500 plus tax but I don't remember who we did the "group" buy from.

Carl

willtill
02-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Many of us have obtained extended warranty's from the below:

Michele Purtle

Honda of Russellville

479-968-2233

Draxsr
02-11-2018, 10:34 AM
That's the one! Thanks Willtill.

Draxsr
02-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks Carl! How's life in the Burgh?

Felloverboard
02-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Blue Ridge Powersports in VA.... or Scroaders in NC... got the same $500. price from them 2 years ago.

terryboyle
02-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Can they sell it to me in Canada? Anyone know?

Av8er
02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Just curious, how many of those that have bought the extended warranty has had to use it? I had it on another bike but it was a $30k bike that had known issues. As r liable as the B is, I question if it’s worth buying an extended warranty.

PA_F6Ber
02-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Yes - Honda of Russellville was the one - thanks willtill. My only problem was the sales tax and it was higher than the 7% PA tax.

Everything is good in the Burgh.

Carl

Verismo
02-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Just curious, how many of those that have bought the extended warranty has had to use it? I had it on another bike but it was a $30k bike that had known issues. As r liable as the B is, I question if it’s worth buying an extended warranty.

I would imagine it comes down to whether or not you keep the bike during that time. For the occasional transmission replacement alone, I'll be getting one when the time comes, just to avoid the potential downside. I suppose it might make it a more attractive quick sell, too, if the need arose.

Jason

2wheelsforme
02-11-2018, 08:36 PM
I think part of what is being sold is "piece of mind". They would not sell them if money was not being made.

jm21ddd15
02-11-2018, 09:30 PM
I think part of what is being sold is "piece of mind". They would not sell them if money was not being made.

Correct. Extended warrenties are nothing more than insurance policies, and we all know that the insurance companies are RICH. When purchasing them, a person is actually betting that the vehicle will have issues, as that's the only way they will ever recover the money they spend. Don't get me wrong, if a vehicle is known as a "problem" vehicle, it may make good sense to get the policy. I have faith in the Wing, or f6, as they have historically been very reliable machines. Not to say mine may take a poop on my next ride, but I do almost all my maintenance, and am pleased at 45000 miles how good the machine is. JMO

Sorcerer
02-11-2018, 09:40 PM
I bought the extended warranty for mine for the “just Incase” while on vacation. I used the extended warranty on my 98 Valk for a bad starter button while in the Black Hills. If you have to deal with relay problems on the road on a GL1800 it’s going to add up quickly.

Felloverboard
02-11-2018, 09:40 PM
If you have a problem the chance is that it will happen in the last 4 years of the 7.... Not in the first 3 years which comes with the bike. At the $100. an hour labor they now charge, the cost of the warranty, especially if you got a deal on it , is cheap. I imagine on some things they may try to say is is normal wear or excessive abuse though. A starter, alternator, broken gears..... think of the possibilities. I agree that the engine is not likely to have an issue, but anything else is possible.

VStarRider
02-11-2018, 09:47 PM
2.5 years in, I am still deciding on whether or not to get the extended warranty. I only have until October to make up my mind. Knowing a full Wing is in my future at some point in 2020 or 2021, maybe I should spend the $500, considering I will be selling an 8 year old bike with 30-40k miles on it at the time. Good selling point to have a year warranty left to give the next buyer confidence in making their decision.

I wonder how much of that investment I would get back ? How well does an extended factory warranty amoritize?

1951vbs
02-12-2018, 08:31 AM
If you have a problem the chance is that it will happen in the last 4 years of the 7.... Not in the first 3 years which comes with the bike. At the $100. an hour labor they now charge, the cost of the warranty, especially if you got a deal on it , is cheap. I imagine on some things they may try to say is is normal wear or excessive abuse though. A starter, alternator, broken gears..... think of the possibilities. I agree that the engine is not likely to have an issue, but anything else is possible.

Good point. I got the extended warranty on my 2013 and was glad I did. 3 months past the factory warrany the hazard flasher button was stuck to the on position. No big deal...right? Unfortunately it required a new set of controls and they plug in way back in the tupperware somewhere. It was about a $350 repair. Made the $399 I paid for the warranty look pretty smart.

Rickc
02-12-2018, 10:22 AM
$631.11 is current cost of 4 year extended warranty. I struggle with the decision as I have just a couple weeks left on the factory warranty.

2wheelsforme
02-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Struggled with it myself and decided to not get it. For a strange Florida reason it is more expensive in my state than elsewhere and you can't purchase it out of state as per Florida. Another factor is I have an 03 VTX in my garage with over 50K miles that has never been to a shop for any repair in 14 years. Honda quality I think. I would not be happy with paying 399 to buy and needing a repair of 350. Sounds like a 49 dollar loss to me. Plus with the warranty you have to stay on top of the Honda required maintenance and checkups which I think are excessive.

Rickc
02-12-2018, 10:48 AM
I was wondering how many ways they can decline a warranty claim due to missing a scheduled checkup or if I'm doing my own oil changes and they don't like my oil choice.

opas ride
02-12-2018, 11:36 AM
The extended warranty is a "crap shoot" in most cases..Very few that buy them ever use it...Yes, it has paid for itself on some occasions, but for the most part it is a waste of money unless one has a few hundred bucks laying around and nothing to do with it....JMHO

F6Dave
02-12-2018, 03:20 PM
I've had an extended warranty on 3 motorcycles, a car, and a truck. On the bikes I never used it. And it isn't like I don't ride -- on my '98 Valkyrie, I had ridden over 100,000 miles when Honda's 7 years of coverage expired.

For my car and truck I have used the warranty, but in both cases the cost of the warranty exceeded the cost of the covered repairs, even including the free rental car they provided. The 'peace of mind' was nice, but that came with a price! It's been said the manufacturers don't sell these to lose money, and my experience has validated that.

If you do buy one, make sure you shop for a good price online, because the markup for the dealer is huge. I've always found that you can get the exact same manufacturer's extended plan from online dealer for about half the list price. That's the same for cars and trucks. I got my Ford ESP warranty from a dealer in Minnesota for half of what the dealer quoted.

edgeman55
02-12-2018, 03:53 PM
All the extended warranty's I have purchased and never used add up to a nice large down payment on a new Wing.Some people need the peace of mind they feel a warranty gives them and I say if that floats your boat go for it.Me I'm done with them and all the dollars lost..My larger concern is that how many Honda dealers have a real well paid certified Goldwing mechanic on staff warranty or not?Thats the real crap shoot.

Felloverboard
02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Struggled with it myself and decided to not get it. For a strange Florida reason it is more expensive in my state than elsewhere and you can't purchase it out of state as per Florida. Another factor is I have an 03 VTX in my garage with over 50K miles that has never been to a shop for any repair in 14 years. Honda quality I think. I would not be happy with paying 399 to buy and needing a repair of 350. Sounds like a 49 dollar loss to me. Plus with the warranty you have to stay on top of the Honda required maintenance and checkups which I think are excessive.

You can physically take your bike to an out of state dealer and get a Warranty if you live in FL. You just cannot buy a warranty online or on the phone if you live in FL. I bought my warranty in NC where I ride in warm weather, live in Orlando. One Orlando area dealer wanted $1300 for the warranty......

2wheelsforme
02-12-2018, 05:01 PM
I was told it depended on where the bike was registered. Is yours Florida or NC?

Bigcityd
02-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Can they sell it to me in Canada? Anyone know?
Terry, I tried to get it in Canada. I called Honda USA and Honda in Russellville. No joy. The bike has to be registered in the USA to qualify. Although if you're touring in Canada on a US bike, they will cover the repairs under warranty. I imported a US bike years ago from Harley. They honoured the warranty.

Felloverboard
02-12-2018, 05:54 PM
I was told it depended on where the bike was registered. Is yours Florida or NC?

I bought my bike new in Brookhaven Mississippi, rode it home and registered it in Orange county...... Insurance regulations simply are made to protect the old folks from getting scammed online or on the phone from out of state insurance companies, which is what a warranty is. You have to take your bike to the out of state dealer where he can see it if it is registered in FL when you are purchasing the warranty. Some out of state dealers don't understand the law as written and won't sell you one.... Call Blue Ridge Powersports in VA.... Call Honda warranty division... All Fl dealers will tell you only they can sell you one.

dadeo
02-12-2018, 06:12 PM
+ For Extended Warranty

I bought a used 1986 Honda CBC-650 in 1989 from the from the original owner who bought a new bike. The 650 was sitting at the dealer on consignment, still in original owner's name. As I was deciding whether to buy the used bike or a new one, the dealer told the original owner and me that the original owner could still get the 3 year extended warranty for $200, extending the original 3 year warranty. It was the best deal ever. Because while it was a fantastic riding bike it had all sorts of issues. In the three years I owned it both front fork seals leaked, some chain inside the engine broke and the carburetor kept clogging until they replaced the fuel tank (which had rusted). The warranty was limited to the full value of the bike, which when I sold it was about $2,000. The chain inside the engine required the engine to be opened up and would have cost me about $1,500. Aside from the repair itself, the warranty paid for the tow from the breakdown spot. When the engine chain broke I was 250 miles from home. They shipped the bike back to my home dealer for repairs. Ever since I've always gotten the extended warranty if it was available. While no other bike has been as unreliable as that Honda, the extended warranty on my 650 Burgman paid for the crazy drive system/transmission that bike had to be resealed when it started leaking with 17,000 miles on the odo. In 2009 Suzuki was only offering a 12,000 mile warranty, so I paid up for an unlimited mileage +3 years (total 4 years) warranty on that bike. As I recall the repair to the Suzuki was about the cost of the warranty. One thing I do recall was that the dealer was a strong advocate for me (on both bikes) in dealing with the warranty. (as they should have been, I guess).

VStarRider
02-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Interesting perspectives here.

However, I am curious ... if it is May 2020, and you are looking to buy my 2013 F6B with 30k miles on it, does the 2.5 years of extended Honda warranty remaining make it more attractive, or a non-factor? If yes, does it make it worth more?

dadeo
02-12-2018, 07:22 PM
An additional 2.5 years and unlimited mileage warranty would make it more attractive to me. I put lots of miles on my bikes.

valkmc
02-13-2018, 12:48 PM
Interesting perspectives here.

However, I am curious ... if it is May 2020, and you are looking to buy my 2013 F6B with 30k miles on it, does the 2.5 years of extended Honda warranty remaining make it more attractive, or a non-factor? If yes, does it make it worth more?

Doesn't make it worth more to me, but is a great selling point. You never know how a bike was treated when buying used. Lots of misuse can be hidden so 2.5 years of warranty can help.

deb99
02-19-2018, 05:35 PM
$631.11 is current cost of 4 year extended warranty. I struggle with the decision as I have just a couple weeks left on the factory warranty.

Last April, my stealer sold me sold me the HondaCare 5-yr extended warranty for $1190 plux tax on a 2016 F6B Deluxe. Now I am feeling a bit shafted, and wondering why....:mad:

Walcrow
02-19-2018, 06:22 PM
I got 4 extra years last April thrown in AT NO CHARGE when I bought the 40th Annv. new. They wanted either $500 or $600. I got up to leave. They asked me to sit back down. Done deal. Make 'em bleed till it hurts.....them.

sammyseahawk
04-06-2018, 11:32 PM
In Houston, my dealer quoted me $1200 for a 4 year extended HPP warranty. I know I can get it cheaper. I will call Russellville in the morning. And if they are too high too, I will call the other one listed in this thread. Thanks for the info F6B forum

olegoat345
04-07-2018, 08:19 AM
any idea how many years or miles they'll go back & still write one? My '13 only has 15K on it.

F6Bster
04-07-2018, 08:38 AM
any idea how many years or miles they'll go back & still write one? My '13 only has 15K on it.
Extended has to be purchased before the original warranty expires; as long as it is under the original, you can get the extended.

Walcrow
04-07-2018, 11:31 PM

Hey goat..........

What was the date you purchased the 2013? If the in-service date is still under the original warranty date, you could buy the extended warranty, but it would probably have to have been purchased in 2015 being that we are in 2018. The mileage would not matter since it is unlimited. The DATE purchased is the key. I've got 7 years from April 2017 and the extended cost me ZERO dollars. Consider me blessed and baptized in the Trinity river for that one.