PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new helmet.

VaBob
02-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Hey all. I hope that asking about helmets isnt like asking about oil. But since there are so many options out there I was just looking for some advice. I currently have a modular helmet thats probably past the expiration date and should update my protection. Ive been looking at the nolan n44 evo and kinda like what Im seeing. Im not too interested in installing comms since I like to get away from it all on the bike. And to be honest, what better excuse not to pick up the phone than "I was out riding".

I think I have a vertically oval head, and even though Ive never had a flip down sun visor I think I'd like to try one. I do wear glasses so not sure if they will get in the way. I have a matte silver '15 and would love to color match as close as possible. Id like to stay around or under $350, but may add a little bit more if its right for me.

Anyways, what are you guys wearing that your impressed with? And any suggestions on what or who I should be look at?

Thanks guys
Bob

2wheelsforme
02-13-2018, 08:45 AM
I really like the HJC CL Max 2. Very affordable and comfortable, has a place for ear speakers if you want to add that, the flip up works well and comes in some large sizes that I need. The flat black matched my matt silver B just fine. It does not have an additional tented visor but I tried that once and was not a fan. I think all modulars tend to be a little noisy but this second HJC I have is no more noisy than an expensive Nolan I had once. I change to a half when the weather is warm and I'm not running interstate speeds.

Broken Hand
02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
I have Shoei Neotec that is comfortable and has a wonderful drop down visor. The visor is optically perfect, ie no weird distortions. I also wear glasses. I have a pair of sunglasses that can be worn over my glasses AND there is enough space to put the visor down. Double eyeshades come in handy if riding directly into the sun. Definitely pricey, but well worth it. Schubert is supposedly high quality as well, but Ive never owned one. Been a Shoei Guy my whole life. If Shoei ever made a half-helmet with drop down visor, I’d buy one. Go to Revzilla and watch some of their helmet reviews; they’re fairly comprehensive.

opas ride
02-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Shoei or HJC for me...Have Shoei with face shield for colder weather and freeway riding as it is really quiet and fits tight..Use HJC 3/4 open face for summer and local riding times.....Suggest you go a large dealer that sells different brands and try several until can find one you like...Revzilla has a great return policy and will work with you on size and styles.....Good luck

crossbowme
02-13-2018, 01:15 PM
I am a fan of Bell and Shoei. My last three helmets were Shoei and I wear an X-14 now.

Walcrow
02-13-2018, 02:26 PM
The Cycle Gear store here has a 30 day return policy. I bought a HJC RPHA 10 from my dealer, wore it 30 miles and it was killin' my skull as it was not the correct shape. Since it was "USED", they would not take it back. I shop Cycle Gear now with plenty of time to make sure the damn thing fits on the long haul.

Joflewbyu2
02-13-2018, 02:32 PM
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F26 3446229129

lloydmoore1
02-13-2018, 03:00 PM
vertically oval head = Bell MAG-9 Sena Solid Helmet

https://fortnine.ca/en/bell-mag-9-sena-solid-helmet

I have the same challenge and this helmet works great for me. I removed the shield and just use the Drop-down sunshield.

Ixol Phaane
02-13-2018, 04:58 PM
vertically oval head = Bell MAG-9 Sena Solid Helmet

https://fortnine.ca/en/bell-mag-9-sena-solid-helmet

I have the same challenge and this helmet works great for me. I removed the shield and just use the Drop-down sunshield.

I bough a Bell MAG-9 about a year ago and wore it comfortably for about 8 months. Then the mechanism for the inner drop-down shield started to fail and eventually gave up. But I have to give props to the Bell support staff for painlessly honoring their 5-year warranty on this lid. I emailed them about the problem... they sent a return label. I shipped the helmet back with a copy of the receipt... and they returned a brand new one to me within about two weeks.

I like the styling of the MAG-9... it compliments the F6B. I think it's a comfortable helmet. And the way they integrated the mounting for a Sena 10S is pretty okay.

That's my :2cents:

Ride safe!

Python
02-13-2018, 05:06 PM
I went to large store and wore a helmet for a hour to check the fit then purchased it else where for a better price. I like
the Nolan n-104 only use the sun visor when I'm not wearing my sun glasses. Polerized sun glasses don't mix with visors

2wheelsforme
02-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Is that Bell Mag-9 an open face helmet? Looks like just the shield comes down over the face. I tried to buy a Bell half helmet once and even the largest size they make was not large enough. Do Bell sizes run small? Only Cycle Gear and the local Honda shop have any helmets of any quantity on the shelves around here. If they had one I liked and got to fit test I would sure thank them by purchasing from them if within reason. Cycle Gear has pretty good prices anyway and got my last lid from them.

willtill
02-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Bell Helmets do run small in size.

lloydmoore1
02-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Is that Bell Mag-9 an open face helmet?

Yes it is maybe this pic might help a bit. I keep the shield in my side bag but when I use it it covers the whole front and works great in the rain.
https://i.imgur.com/MFnyf1Z.png

I have a large helmet and it fits my head as my brother says my "loaf of bread head"

ShanghaiDan
02-13-2018, 06:57 PM
If you're looking for quiet helmets, I can recommend the HJC RPHA-MAX and the Schuberth C3 Pro. Those are the two quietest modulars I've ever tried. I have tried a lot of helmets for demo rides - I use calibrated 4mm microphones mounted on in-ear plugs, and record the noise level on a 10 minute ride in traffic in-town and on the freeway, ranging in speeds between 0 MPH and 75 MPH. The C3 Pro came in the quietest (around 84 dB SPL peak at 75 MPH, typical 71 dB SPL at 30 MPH in town), and the HJC was just 1.1 dB louder. All others I've tested were at least 3 dB louder than the HJC.

WEGI
02-13-2018, 10:11 PM
I have exactly the same two brands as ShanghaiDan! Schuberth is the best IMHO of course. Pricey but top shelf. RPHA was my favorite until I made the plunge for the C3. RPHA might be a bit cooler but both are hot down here in FL in the summer. I have had a bunch of different helmets over the last 40 plus years and none come close to the C3 Schuberth.
Dan is also right on with it being quiet. Much quieter than RPHA and RPHA is pretty quiet. 3dB increase is twice as loud if I remember right.

Good luck with your search.
WEG

crossbowme
02-14-2018, 08:35 AM
HINT: If you can do it buy a helmet model that is being phased out. In most helmets, they change colors/patterns all the time and the old models are slashed. I always buy these which are slashed 50%.

Draxsr
02-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Let me also throw my support for the Shuberth C3 Pro. Quiet and good fitting helmet.

2wheelsforme
02-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Those high dollar lids look really nice and I bet the best in the industry as well as the quietest. I just have a problem paying 5 or 6 hundred for a helmet. Are they really 4 times better than what I'm wearing?

2wheelsforme
02-14-2018, 09:09 AM
And helmet life span is 5 years according some in the industry and I need more than one helmet so looking at $100 plus per year for just one. And that only if you don't drop it or something. It would be really hard to replace a new 600 dollar helmet if I dropped it the first week of ownership. Yikes! I would though really like to try out that Shuberth C3 Pro sometime.

seventwenty
02-14-2018, 12:51 PM
The 5yr lifespan is the industry's way of avoiding some liability and getting us to buy new more often. I've got a Nolan N35 that I still use occasionally when riding the Rzr. I think it was purchased in "90". I guarantee that it will do more good than some of the buckets/skull caps that you see out there.

I really like some of the modular and full face helmets, I just can't justify the cost for something that will mostly collect dust. We've got 4k people in our whole county, no interstates, and minimal traffic to deal with here. The only time I consider a helmet is a long trip or where it's required and then it's just a bucket.

Draxsr
02-14-2018, 05:15 PM
I wear my Shuberth all the time. My nugget's worth it.

WEGI
02-14-2018, 06:27 PM
And helmet life span is 5 years according some in the industry and I need more than one helmet so looking at $100 plus per year for just one. And that only if you don't drop it or something. It would be really hard to replace a new 600 dollar helmet if I dropped it the first week of ownership. Yikes! I would though really like to try out that Shuberth C3 Pro sometime.

I hear you 2 wheels.. Don't think I will throw my C3 away if I drop it, unless it cracks but I don't think it will... And the price is high for these. I didn't buy mine until I stumbled on a sale of one left my size but not my color. I jumped at it. More than 50% off! Would I have bought one at full price? I was looking, but probably not..I had a $400 RPHA only a few years old and I thought that was really expensive! So I guess dropping to me isn't a problem, I don't really understand the 5 year disintegration thing with the foam, maybe it's true, and lastly I want the best I can get for my noggin at a reasonable price. YMMV

WEG

Joflewbyu2
02-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Kabuto Aeroblade III is a light carbon fiber matrix mix with cutouts for sunglasses/eyeglasses arms. It is a touring helmet made to vent and flow air for the rider in an upright position. They come with an anti fog shield too. Very happy with mine that I bought two. After I sold my blue Valkyrie, I stopped using my tri color one.

1951vbs
02-14-2018, 11:03 PM
The 5yr lifespan is the industry's way of avoiding some liability and getting us to buy new more often. I've got a Nolan N35 that I still use occasionally when riding the Rzr. I think it was purchased in "90". I guarantee that it will do more good than some of the buckets/skull caps that you see out there.

I really like some of the modular and full face helmets, I just can't justify the cost for something that will mostly collect dust. We've got 4k people in our whole county, no interstates, and minimal traffic to deal with here. The only time I consider a helmet is a long trip or where it's required and then it's just a bucket.

How many deer do you have in your area? Helmet saved my life when I unexpectedly hit one. Not many people or cars around that night either.

seventwenty
02-15-2018, 12:26 AM
How many deer do you have in your area? Helmet saved my life when I unexpectedly hit one. Not many people or cars around that night either.

Quite a few actually. Most of us ride very little at night but I've also had some close calls during the day. Deer are creatures of habit and after 30+ yrs of riding around here, you generally have a good idea of where to really pay attention. Cage or bike, you learn to be alert and watch for them all of the time. Another advantage is that their heavy movement generally occurs during the months that the bikes are put up for the year.

willtill
02-15-2018, 04:45 AM
I can't fathom not wearing a helmet. Always have. Sucks to be caught in the rain without a helmet and faceshield.

soupbean
02-15-2018, 05:38 AM
Last two helmets are Shoei Quest.., quality, affordable, comfortable. It’s a pretty solid helmet for the price.
They have a flat grey that matches the F6b pretty good. I’ve got multiple tinted and mirrored shields, easily changed out.
The mirrored shields are kind of pricey though.

ReserveBum
02-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Last two helmets are Shoei Quest.., quality, affordable, comfortable. It’s a pretty solid helmet for the price.
They have a flat grey that matches the F6b pretty good. I’ve got multiple tinted and mirrored shields, easily changed out.
The mirrored shields are kind of pricey though.

+1 on the Shoei

InvictusF6B
02-16-2018, 02:34 AM
My last helmet was a Symax III and although its a good helmet, it cant hold a candle to my Shark Evo one! Fits great, looks great and the only design currently sold that can 'legally be ridden with in the open position. Great ventilation and pinlock ready with included pinlock insert and the shield automatically moves itself out of the way as you flip it to the open position. If you don't want to spend too much then look at the Shark Evo 3. same basic concept just not as many bells and whistles as the Evo one.

choptop
02-16-2018, 07:47 AM
I am enjoying this thread because I am one of those guys, yes I am, that does not wear a helmet. Over the last couple of summers I have started wearing one when traveling threw states that it was necessary and have found myself enjoying it. Don't know that I will wear one every time I get on the bike, but who knows.

2wheelsforme
02-16-2018, 08:12 AM
I wear one most of the time but have to say in my opinion, if you have never rode along the beach (or some other nice road) on a warm summer night, helmet free to enjoy the cool breeze in your hair, you have not enjoyed motorcycle riding as much as is possible. So glad Florida is a "me decide" state.

crossbowme
02-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Long ago and far away I was sent to a very warm tropical country. While there i was shot down and was wearing my SPH-4 helmet. After the fact we all were amazed at the damage done to our helmets and mine in particular. With out question, if I had not had that helmet on I would have been killed.

Today, I only buys helmets with the highest Snell/DOT ratings and then go for the best fit. After all that I look at price. After all, how much is your head worth?

olegoat345
02-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Ask 30 people get 40 different answers = I always try to get one that's SNELL & DOT approved, for me they must be full face =
Modular helmets will NOT pass SNELL neither will helmets w/ a drop down sun screen. =

motorcyclegear.com always has some great deals. They buy up new, last years left over stock. You can try it on, wear it around the house & they'll pay S&H to send it back, send you another one, another one until you get one you love =remember, it should never be loose. Should be snug, you should have "fish face" for a while BUT never so tight it causes hot spots or headaches. Make sure your glasses will go in. Slide it on from the rear part of your head. email Aaron with all your questions, he's great to deal with.

soupbean
02-21-2018, 05:11 AM
Go to the largest motorcycle accessory store that’s available. Test fit the helmets that you are interested in. Put them on, take them off, work the shields etc. Wear them in the store for 30 minutes. Different helmets in different sizes will not fit the same. Luckily we have Iron Pony here in Columbus. They have a huge helmet selection. You’ll see people walking around wearing helmets while shopping. Just like you would sit on a bike that you’ve never been on before to see how it feels after a half hour or so..

Paul B Blues
02-21-2018, 09:15 AM
I have been using this one for over a year now. It's lightweight, but a good all round helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQoi2Y8S4as&t=9s

olegoat345
02-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Last I heard the helmet law here in FL. might change. They're wanting to make using a cell while driving a first offense & tacked onto that bill is the helmet law. Never heard where it went / going. A ABATE lobbyist use to have some power over MC laws. Don't know anymore. ABATE (here in FL.) is in bad shape. The "older" guys (mostly HD guys) are tired of doing it & stepping down & there's no young blood interested (mostly sport bikes). I've noticed almost all of the young riders wear helmets & full gear.
We're in the boonies, live with in sight of rt. 450 (aka "tail of the gecko") we can hear the sport bikes coming, when they hit the straight stretch, they're running well over 100 mph passed our home. At times there's 15-20 of them, all in full riding gear. ATGATT. Makes me wish I was that age again. Well, maybe for a day or two.

Craig_328
02-21-2018, 12:04 PM
I bough a Bell MAG-9 about a year ago and wore it comfortably for about 8 months. Then the mechanism for the inner drop-down shield started to fail and eventually gave up. But I have to give props to the Bell support staff for painlessly honoring their 5-year warranty on this lid. I emailed them about the problem... they sent a return label. I shipped the helmet back with a copy of the receipt... and they returned a brand new one to me within about two weeks.

I like the styling of the MAG-9... it compliments the F6B. I think it's a comfortable helmet. And the way they integrated the mounting for a Sena 10S is pretty okay.

That's my :2cents:

Ride safe!

I second this, good helmet for the price. I ride this when it's cooler out or let my wife wear it to reduce wind noise. My clear visor did wear out but I'm not sure if I have the receipt. Downside is that if the clear visor is up all the way its in your line of sight. Love the sunglass feature built in also.

purchased mine off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8FYOIO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jbongo
02-25-2018, 06:20 PM
I suggest you look at the selection on revzilla.com Many of their helmets are accompanied by videos that review their features. Fair prices, great customer service, free shipping and a very liberal return policy.

2wheelsforme
02-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Helmet City is another good place for good prices on lids. http://helmetsales.com/index.php/catalog/

willtill
02-26-2018, 06:48 AM
I suggest you look at the selection on revzilla.com Many of their helmets are accompanied by videos that review their features. Fair prices, great customer service, free shipping and a very liberal return policy.

Word of warning about revzilla.com ...I ordered a Bell helmet from them last year and they sent me someone's returned helmet. It was obviously worn. I did bitch about it and they refunded a 100 bucks to me (or gave me the option of sending it back for full refund/exchange). I pulled the guts out and washed it...

2wheelsforme
02-26-2018, 07:28 AM
I'm guessing that a "very liberal return policy" as jbongo says of Revzilla and the chance you will get a worn and returned helmet go hand in hand.

bill57
04-01-2018, 10:05 AM
We still consider riders without helmets to be organ donors

2wheelsforme
04-01-2018, 10:26 AM
We still consider riders without helmets to be organ donors

Poorest choice for a first post I may have ever seen.

carl5785
04-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Has anyone checked out the SENA Momentum Helmet with built in blue tooth and speakers it sounds interesting but just wondering how well it works

jmdaniel
04-02-2018, 06:41 AM
Poorest choice for a first post I may have ever seen.

My wife is an ER nurse, and the organ donor comment is common in her work environment. I tend to agree.

2wheelsforme
04-02-2018, 07:15 AM
My wife is an ER nurse, and the organ donor comment is common in her work environment. I tend to agree.

Taking a thread about helmet choices and trying to turn it into a bashing thread for those who chose to ride helmetless is the poor choice. Especially for your first post. I know people who say riding a motorcycle at all is more risky than they are willing to accept. Please do not insist that only the level of safety you think is correct is correct for everyone. Even small cars are much less safe than large vehicles. Or you might stay safe on the couch watching TV!

VStarRider
04-02-2018, 07:45 AM
Helmet comment: Schuberth C3 Pro is most comfortable, high quality helmet I have ever owned. I bought it during a Christmas sale on RevZilla for $329 2.5 years ago. Complaints are that it is not a perfect fit for my head, and the visor won't stay open over 50 mph in windy conditions (unless going with the wind).

Organ Donor comment: It is common in emergency rooms, I have heard. I think my GP even mentioned that. This comment does get to me, until I think of a guy I know who slipped and fell taking a pee at 3am, is paralyzed from the neck down after hitting his head on the vanity the wrong way. I am going to enjoy the things I love to do, despite the risk...and the risk is what makes it enjoyable! Now, we all owe it to ourselves to mitigate the risk by lighting up our bikes like Christmas trees, wearing the appropriate level of gear, practicing, taking ARCs, etc. However, I am NOT gonna sit around in fear, only to fall in the tub and become paralyzed.

jmdaniel
04-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Taking a thread about helmet choices and trying to turn it into a bashing thread for those who chose to ride helmetless is the poor choice. Especially for your first post. I know people who say riding a motorcycle at all is more risky than they are willing to accept. Please do not insist that only the level of safety you think is correct is correct for everyone. Even small cars are much less safe than large vehicles. Or you might stay safe on the couch watching TV!

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm registered as an organ donor AND wear a helmet. What a conundrum! :cool:

2wheelsforme
04-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Why would you call me Francis?

jmdaniel
04-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Why would you call me Francis?

;):headbang::cheers: