PDA

View Full Version : Road trip from Cleveland O to LA via Grand Canyon

oldxtreme
02-13-2018, 02:26 PM
This summer I am pointing my F6B 'gw-smiley'West through St. Louis, on to OK City, then Gallup NM, Flagstaff AZ, Barstow CA and then on to LA.

Planning on about 600 miles a day. Any suggestions of "Don't Miss this on the way"?

I enjoy the local diners and eateries :cheers:and the small locally owned motels from days gone by, any suggestions? I may ride on old HY 66 if it looks interesting.

Weather wise, is early July a good time frame for the Canyon?

Depending on how my ass feels when reaching LA, I may store the bike someplace, fly back to Cleveland and then fly back for the ride home in early September. Any one have any experience storing a bike for a month in the LA area?

I will be coming back the Northern route through Vegas, Grand Junction CO, Colby KS, and on to Cleveland.

Thanks for any input.

choptop
02-13-2018, 03:25 PM
No help here, farthest west I have been is Yellowstone, but sounds like a fun trip !!

Big Jay
02-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Lots to see and do along 66 aka I 40. And The Grand canyon is definitely a don't miss.

Thor
02-15-2018, 12:13 AM
If you like science and history, consider stopping at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, KS, on the way back. It's amazing. They have a great collection of rockets. German, US, and Soviet. They have the Apollo 13 Command Module.
On the way out, you'll be in BBQ heaven as you pass through Oklahoma. Consider Burn Co. or Albert G's in Tulsa. A local twist is slow smoked bologna. It's surprisingly good.
Zion National Park in Utah is on the way back. It's beautiful.

If you've never ridden out west in the summer; hydration is critical. Enjoy the trip.

Az Wingrider
02-15-2018, 08:25 PM
When crossing Arizona there is a lot of Route 66 available. Williams Arizona was the last town bypassed by I-40 and very devoted to promoting itself as historic Route-66. From Ashfork Arizona to Kingman, Oatman and Gulf Shores is the longest surviving stretch of Route 66 remaining. Hackberry Store, Cool Springs Station and Oatman are all must see parts of this ride.

Enjoy the ride and stay hydrated.
Az Wingrider

oldxtreme
02-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the input. July seems far away but unlike AzWindrider, I want avoid riding in the snow!

I know what you mean about staying hydrated. Coming back through the Bad Lands on my VTX from Sturgis, air temp reached like 110 degrees and the "breeze" off the road and engine must have been at least 120. I drank gallons of water and dumped several more over my head at every water stop...which is like two and still got dehydrated to the point that I had to guzzle several bottles of Gator Aid and lay down in the back one of those little reservation stores until I could stand up without looking like I was just coming from one hell of a party!. Nice folks, they gave me a rag with ice in it to wrap around my neck.

I grew up in St. Louis and traveled lots of miles on Rt 66 before the outer belts went in so I am looking forward to putting wheels on Rt 66 West. Any other "got to sees" are greatly appreciated.

Az Wingrider
02-17-2018, 09:27 AM
If you are really into Route 66 sights in Holbrook Arizona they have the WigWam Motel (cement teepees) that dates back to old route 66 days. It is still open and operating and has a lot of old classic cars parked next to the teepees. In Winslow Arizona they have Standing on the corner park that commemorates the Eagles song "Take It Easy" and the whole town of Seligman Arizona is a route 66 experience. The Degadilllo brothers in Seligman were the driving force behind creating the Historic Route 66 Association that preserved this part of the old highway.

By the way I don't intentionally seek out snow covered roads to ride on but when you spend time riding in the northern Rockies you will occasionally find snow all through the year.

Ride save and enjoy your trip
Az Wingrider

miramiramira
02-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Whew, there's so many options for things to do between Cleveland and and LA. A lot depends on how many side trips you want to take, and how far off to the side. but:

Lambert's in Sikeston, MO. Home of the "throwed rolls."

Arkansas and OK, at least on the route you're most likely to ride, aren't much. That's time to put on the miles.

The Texas/OK panhandle isn't much either. You can check out the largest (or second largest) cross in the western hemisphere in Groom, TX.
Rt. 66 through Amarillo is decent.

PowWow Restaurant and Lizard Lounge, on Rt 66 Tucumcari, NM

You could spend a week in AZ alone.
Painted Desert, AZ
Petrified Forest, AZ
Four Corners
Canyon de Chelly, AZ
Monument Valley, AZ

If you wanted to wander off the Interstate, during your trip, you'd find all kinds of things to do once you hit western New Mexico and beyond.

six2go
02-22-2018, 01:48 PM
I have also considered a big trip West. If it happens, I am going to take US 50 from Indiana to at least Colorado using other roads to skirt around cities like St.Louis & Kansas City. I know I wouldn't be covering any 600 miles per day, but in my opinion if you are doing that you won't have much time to see any sights or attractions. I like the "Blue Highways".

oldxtreme
02-22-2018, 07:53 PM
six2go, If you like the blue roads, you may want to skirt St. Louis by going down the Illinois side of the Mississipp,i just east of St Louis, and cutting across at the
Jefferson Barrack bridge, then pick up 55 South to 67. You go through some Ozark Mountain foothills and if you go that way a good side trip is Big Springs in Mo. It is a really big spring! Johnson Shut Ins is a local "got to see" spot. Elephant Rock, Merrimack Caverns, Jess James place, etc. are in the southern part on Missouri.

six2go
02-23-2018, 09:07 AM
six2go, If you like the blue roads, you may want to skirt St. Louis by going down the Illinois side of the Mississipp,i just east of St Louis, and cutting across at the
Jefferson Barrack bridge, then pick up 55 South to 67. You go through some Ozark Mountain foothills and if you go that way a good side trip is Big Springs in Mo. It is a really big spring! Johnson Shut Ins is a local "got to see" spot. Elephant Rock, Merrimack Caverns, Jess James place, etc. are in the southern part on Missouri.

Duly noted. Thanks!

oldxtreme
02-26-2018, 12:02 PM
If you do go through St Louis, you can get from the east side to western subs in about 20 minutes, no real traffic. In St. Louis, it is worth stops at the Arch, Anhiser Bush tour, and the Butterfly House...really, the butterfly house is a little know attraction but it is fascinating, unless you are scared of butterflies!

oldxtreme
02-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Forgot to mention, if you are are interested in good food, good prices and a throwback to days gone by, try the LEFT FORK Diner in Salt Lake U. Off the beaten path but a local put me on to this place several ski seasons ago. If you can find it, you will enjoy the experience.

oldxtreme
07-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Just completed the ride from Chagrin Falls, OH to Malibu CA...great ride and stayed at some real nice, budget type, local motels along the way. Didn't find many really great places to eat but the ride was awesome. AND HOT!

Got a cooling jacket on order for the ride back.

Once you get out of OHIO, you can go as fast or slow as you want. From Kansas on, most legal speed is posted at 80 MPH. Saw 8 cops going through Ohio and 1 highway patrol from the Ohio state line to the Pacific Ocean...and he was going to an accident scene. If you got a bucket, put this ride on the list. High speed straights, 180 degree twistier, mountains, deserts, no traffic...but make sure you are on an F6B, not a Harley because there are some stretches that are 115 miles without ANY service or side roads. You got to make sure you got gas and on a reliable steed!

Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion are places you have to visit because words do not come close to describing what your eyes will see.