PDA

View Full Version : Rode the new 2018 today....

Verismo
02-14-2018, 10:13 PM
I had the good fortune to go on a 40 mile ride atop a 2018 blue DCT model this afternoon. I'm trying to write down my thoughts without gushing my face off, but it's proving to be a real challenge. In the meantime, here are some pics next to my B for comparison.

Jason

Verismo
02-14-2018, 10:14 PM

nvmyf6
02-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Nice.. Yes let us know your thoughts :cool:

billsim
02-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks.
Pic #1 sure looks like the motor is really hanging out kinda like the BMW heads did. Looks funky from the front.
Just my opinion, but the B looks better with the fairing hiding some of that.

willtill
02-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Change does sometimes take a while to get used to.

opas ride
02-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Thanks.
Pic #1 sure looks like the motor is really hanging out kinda like the BMW heads did. Looks funky from the front.

The first thing I noticed also was how the motor sticks out when looking from the front... Sitting on the bike and looking down all one can see is this huge hunk of a flat six motor protruding from the bottom of the bike...As willtill has said, this change may take some time getting used to ....Otherwise nice bike in many regards...JMHO

Verismo
02-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Okay, I still couldn't avoid gushing, but even so here are my observations.

The feature I was most curious about was the DCT, so I'll start there. It's amazing. This is not your father's torque converter. The dual clutch, in sport mode, absolutely rips, at perfect intervals, through the first 4 gears. It is even more thrilling than I was anticipating to feel the torque curve snap to the next peak when ascending without interruption from a shift, instead of the quick drop you feel, no matter how fast the manual shift. My accompanying rider was on a 2012 full wing, and I walked away from him at will and with zero effort on my part, and he was a 20 year old who put some effort into trying to prevent it. In terms of deceleration and downshifting, I found myself using the brake lever much less due to the nice timing of the downshifts. It makes for really blissful riding. Also, shifting with the manual "paddles" is effortless. It was nice to have the option in either mode. In sport, you could upshift to relax a little. In tour, you can downshift to goose it a little. The rpm's, in tour mode and at highway speeds in 7th gear seem to be about 500-700 less than my B, depending on the grade of incline. Honestly, I can't think of a con, unless you do precision course competition, where clutching might be necessary for extreme low speed steep maneuvering. And if the shifting isn't to your taste by mode, you can just switch to manual and shift at your leisure. I only imagine this getting better and providing even more options with some more experience. Also, the walking mode, both forward and backward, works easily and perfectly. This transmission is a revelation in this caliber of bike.

The weight loss and view from the cockpit are really nice. It almost feels a little odd to call this a Goldwing after the 1988 to 2017 run. I can imagine many an FJR, Concours, and former ST1300 rider getting pulled over to Wings due to the leaned out size. I own a Standard(naked) 1984 GL1200, and this bike is reminiscent, to me, to that earlier platform. Comfortable ergos, lots of refinements, plenty of power, similar riding triangle, and most of all- light(ish), and balanced. All that, on steroids and stem cells.

The front suspension is, I don't know how else to say this, nearly perfect. I rode on a stretch of farm road with which I am very familiar. The asphalt is very rough and provides a noticeably harsh ride on all other bikes I've been on. I had to keep looking down at the road to make sure I was on the same surface. I could see the tie rods bouncing up and down, but all I felt was a plush ride, and then, in corners, a perfect line that I could push into, or stray from. It didn't matter. It just complies. Wow. Seriously, I know if I were reading this instead of writing it, I would prefer more objectivity, but wow.

Wind management--Great, but there might be the tiniest bit of room for some improvement here. For those of us who have MadStads, I'm curious to hear others speak about this after some miles in the seat. On the 2018 model, with the touring shield in its lowest position, it sat 5 or 6 inches below my eyeline(I'm 6' with a 31 inch inseam). It worked perfectly up until about 50 mph or until I got into crosswinds or on the highway. Adjusted all the way up, it sits just below my eyeline. If I slouched a little, or leaned back, I could easily look through it. At full up, the wind is a nice pocket. Minimal buffeting even on the highway with traffic. However, at full up, the rake is nearly vertical, and serves a little as an airbrake. So I felt more wind input to the front end than I do on my B with MadStad. Coupled with that, there is much more wind coming over the shoulders. It was not at all discomforting for the relatively short ride. But I found myself wondering how it would be on a long stretch, or in really cold weather. It will be interesting to hear what riders say after some long miles. I also imagine wider after market shields, and Baker and National Cycle coming up with a hand wing that might help with the shoulder air. We'll see. On a warm day and a shorter ride, the additional wind was more of a plus, but the additional pushing around of the front end wasn't missed once I got back on my B.

On that note, I'll say--lucky for us, that getting back on the B didn't as much feel like a big step down as close to a lateral move with different pros. I have a Mustang seat, the pegs moved forward a bit, and heli bars in a nice cruiser-like position, so I really sit IN my F6B, instead of on it. And with this new wing, it was back to being on the bike, and quite a bit higher, although it was still a very comfortable riding triangle for me.

Other odds and ends: It's a weird note that you can feel engine vibration in the grips when you start the 2018 and it's at idle. It disappears immediately once in motion, but it kind of surprised me.

Upon takeoff, I found myself needing to give it just a bit more throttle/twist than I'm accustomed. I think this is probably my lack of familiarity with throttle by wire, but it was a small adjustment.

The trunk--Normally, I hate riding with a trunk. It throws the center of gravity up and back and really changes the fun of corners. That's why I love the B. However, I was 3/4 of the way through the ride before I had to look back to see if the 2018 I was on had a trunk. Granted, it wasn't filled with anything. But I’ve never ridden a bike with a trunk that felt so much like one without it.

Closing-

I have owned a 1984 GL1200, a 1999 Valkyrie, a 2014 Valkyrie, and a 2016 F6B. I am not even close to the most experienced rider on this forum, but have had the good fortune of riding dozens of more bikes, from dirt and sport bikes and sport tourers of all stripes, to Indians, Yamahas, Triumphs, and Harleys.

This is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. By a decent margin.

The next closest, in my opinion, is the one we all own here. You know that feeling you have on most bikes that you love such and such about the bike, but you wish it had that one thing. This new Goldwing comes the closest, and it's seriously close, to checking every single one of those boxes. I really tried to play down my enthusiasm in writing this, so I didn’t spend the whole review process just beaming, even though you might not be able to tell. But I was thrilled during and after this test ride. I literally laughed out loud like a little kid every time I launched the bike from standstill in sport mode and it tore through the gears. What a bike.

Good job, Honda. Homerun.

stepbill
02-15-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry but I really prefer the look of your bike over the 2018. I think that it looks meaner!

Jimmytee
02-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the riding impression. I've only sat on one thus far. A red Tour 6 spd. My dealer is expecting a Blue DCT in for "Demo" purposes. I went out for a couple hours tinoght on my bike. I stopped by there on my way out to see if they had got the Demo in yet. Nope, but they did have the Blue DCT sitting in the shop. It is already spoken for and was just prepped for it's new owner.

ShanghaiDan
02-15-2018, 08:17 PM
The DCT really is a game changer. The only drawback is you will not have an excuse to buy new boots as often, since you won't keep wearing out your left toe!

carpdm
02-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Nice write up. Thanks.

deb99
02-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Okay, I still couldn't avoid gushing, but even so here are my observations.

Closing-

I have owned a 1984 GL1200, a 1999 Valkyrie, a 2014 Valkyrie, and a 2016 F6B. I am not even close to the most experienced rider on this forum, but have had the good fortune of riding dozens of more bikes, from dirt and sport bikes and sport tourers of all stripes, to Indians, Yamahas, Triumphs, and Harleys.

This is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. By a decent margin.

The next closest, in my opinion, is the one we all own here. You know that feeling you have on most bikes that you love such and such about the bike, but you wish it had that one thing. This new Goldwing comes the closest, and it's seriously close, to checking every single one of those boxes. I really tried to play down my enthusiasm in writing this, so I didn’t spend the whole review process just beaming, even though you might not be able to tell. But I was thrilled during and after this test ride. I literally laughed out loud like a little kid every time I launched the bike from standstill in sport mode and it tore through the gears. What a bike.

Good job, Honda. Homerun.

Is it nice enough to justify trading your 2016 F6B?

olegoat345
02-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Please, Please, tell us if you really liked the new GW, honestly tell us. :) ................................. Soooooo did you put a deposit on a new one??

Walcrow
02-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Inquiring minds NEED to know???? .......You gonna' get it V ????........We know you're tempted......Let us help you go over to the dark side.....You know you want it...No one does a Papal Encyclical like you did on your test ride and thinks they're gonna' sleep worth a crap until they PULL THE TRIGGER!! We'll all help you pick out the color if you're undecided:banghead:

Verismo
02-16-2018, 12:38 AM
Inquiring minds NEED to know???? .......You gonna' get it V ????........We know you're tempted......Let us help you go over to the dark side.....You know you want it...No one does a Papal Encyclical like you did on your test ride and thinks they're gonna' sleep worth a crap until they PULL THE TRIGGER!! We'll all help you pick out the color if you're undecided:banghead:

LOL Walcrow, you guys are hilarious. And awesome. Like drug pushers, lol. And Deb99, it's nice enough, but I won't be trading in my B. As much as I enjoyed the ride, I never buy any new model the first year. The one big question mark in my mind about this new iteration is reliability. There are an amazing number of new moving parts on the new wing, and I'd like to let the gremlins come out, if there are any, and also for depreciation to take a whack out of that sticker before I'd feel comfortable buying. As far as the encyclical, Walcrow, lol, it doesn't take too much for me to rattle on about motorcycles. I could soliloquize a fair bit about my B, too, as much as I love it. But additionally, I felt really fortunate to get such a long test ride, and because I enjoyed it so much, and so many other guys can't ride because of the cold right now, or just haven't had the opportunity to test the new wing, I felt like I should at least share how much I enjoyed it. If I hadn't loved it, I probably would've just stayed quiet. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Jason

Verismo
02-16-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry but I really prefer the look of your bike over the 2018. I think that it looks meaner!

And thanks, stepbill. In truth, I think I'm partial to the aesthetic on the B. It fits me a little more. Besides the bags being bigger, I really love the curve on them instead of the trapezoidal look of the new bags. If I lived in a perfect world, Honda would take the new engine and DCT, and design a little lower cruiser/bagger type version of the new Wing, sort of old Valkyrie style mixed with F6B style. The new Wing without trunk is pretty close, but in my opinion, it could go a little more towards the mean and a little further from FJR. However, that's me being ridiculously picky.

Jason

Bryster
02-16-2018, 12:52 AM
Thanks.

I'm with you there Bill, I saw a side by side the other day, it's like a ST1300 on roids...

Still out on the looks from the front.

cosborn
02-16-2018, 01:41 AM
I still like the B

ths61
02-16-2018, 02:31 AM
Compared to your B, it looks like the ST1833 has moved the gauge cluster up to where the black MadStad base is located.

choptop
02-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Made a couple of calls today to see if any of the near by Honda dealers have a new one in stock, no, will probably have to travel to the cities to look and sit on one. But I love my B and don't see myself getting rid of it.

Pringle
02-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Got a warm day here and test rode a non-DCT model yesterday. Not much to add from a review perspective....smooth and strong engine/tranny, front suspension and total ride quality amazing, feels very light and nimble, infotainment system very cool...etc. After talking with the sales manager and then gettin’ back on my 2015 to head home, it is just not $12,800 more bike than what I already have.....are there things that are better yes....naturally there are things I don’t like as well. I Can’t justify the investment, but I am sure many will as it is a great bike. I Will keep the B and add some more “bling”!

Zteve
02-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Nice write up Jason. The DCT and new suspension make it very very tempting. But I thought the same as Pringle and added some more "bling" to my B for now.

Zteve
02-17-2018, 03:56 PM
The DCT really is a game changer. The only drawback is you will not have an excuse to buy new boots as often, since you won't keep wearing out your left toe!

Not if you buy the foot shifter for $540 :shock:

LA Weld
02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
I will let the test monkeys make the bugs go away.
I have progressive suspension sitting on the shelf for the next time I can breath as the shop is BUSY for now.

I will be ready for Cortez for sure.

ths61
02-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Hopefully the aftermarket will come out with competing options for a fraction of the cost (read: reasonable price).

STRaider
02-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Nice write up. Sorry if I missed it, but could you talk about the riding position? I only recently sat on a later model wing (2015) and was surprised to find the leg room very lacking for someone 6'3". Is the 2018 any better in this regard?

VStarRider
02-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Nice write up. Sorry if I missed it, but could you talk about the riding position? I only recently sat on a later model wing (2015) and was surprised to find the leg room very lacking for someone 6'3". Is the 2018 any better in this regard?

I know this was intended for the OP, but I can field this one...

Yes, the '18 is much better than the '01-'17 full Wing for leg room. I am 2" shorter than you, and I felt cramped on the old full Wing. Not the new one. Plenty of room...but, of course, try before you buy.

Verismo
02-19-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanks :). Yeah I think the new wing has some more room for the femurs, given that the engine has been moved forward. However, I am 6', 31" inseam, so I have a little more room than you. There was a policeman checking out the bike when I was at the dealership and he was about 6'2", and said that he had a little more trouble getting his foot under the shifter. If you opt for the DCT model, that's a non-issue. As far as reach to the bars, they are a little lower and in a very shoulder neutral position. In any case, try before you buy. ;). Good luck!

Jason

PA_F6Ber
02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
I took a Gold Wing Tour DCT for a 20 mile Demo Ride today and they are "sporty" especially in the SPORT Mode. Very impressive ride and handling.

Carl

Craig_328
02-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Glad to see your review. your experience supports 90% of others who have rode a F6B to the 2018 that there is an improvement, but not so much that it would warrant a new purchase

LA Weld
02-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Glad to see your review. your experience supports 90% of others who have rode a F6B to the 2018 that there is an improvement, but not so much that it would warrant a new purchase

To many moving parts to have right the first time!

ghost
02-28-2018, 05:16 PM
After reading the forum posts and outside reviews, I stopped at my local dealer this afternoon to check out the new Goldwing as well. I had pretty much decided that I would probably upgrade from the F6B before I arrived... but then found myself underwhelmed. The first thing that struck me was the narrow width. I felt like the fairing would do little to protect the rider from the wind and rain. A big deal if you try to ride in the winter. It was noticeably lighter-- and surprisingly that didn't seem quite right either. I've guess that I have come to appreciate the feeling of a big bike like the '6B, a general feeling of solidness and stability I guess. I'm not as tall as some who have commented before me, but I didn't thing the foot peg positioning was really that comfortable. I also immediately remembered the original F6B seat as I sat on the new model; not much give, and my legs are not long enough to sit back against the built in rise of the seat comfortably. I was really disappointed with the saddle bag capacity as well. The latches to that and the top box seemed, well, cheap. Had to close them hard to get them to catch.

I was looking forward to the new suspension, the electronics, the automatic transmission; however, I sat down on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom to think for a minute and realized that I really like what I have now. The dealership didn't have a 2018 to demo ride so I don't have all the information possible. As others have commented, I am just not sure that I am willing to to pony up another 15K+ and possibly not have something better than what we already know and love. Time will tell; maybe as my F6B gets older the newer model with grow on me. I just may give the BMW K1600 Grand America a look in the meantime.

Verismo
02-28-2018, 07:01 PM
After reading the forum posts and outside reviews, I stopped at my local dealer this afternoon to check out the new Goldwing as well. I had pretty much decided that I would probably upgrade from the F6B before I arrived... but then found myself underwhelmed. The first thing that struck me was the narrow width. I felt like the fairing would do little to protect the rider from the wind and rain. A big deal if you try to ride in the winter. It was noticeably lighter-- and surprisingly that didn't seem quite right either. I've guess that I have come to appreciate the feeling of a big bike like the '6B, a general feeling of solidness and stability I guess. I'm not as tall as some who have commented before me, but I didn't thing the foot peg positioning was really that comfortable. I also immediately remembered the original F6B seat as I sat on the new model; not much give, and my legs are not long enough to sit back against the built in rise of the seat comfortably. I was really disappointed with the saddle bag capacity as well. The latches to that and the top box seemed, well, cheap. Had to close them hard to get them to catch.

I was looking forward to the new suspension, the electronics, the automatic transmission; however, I sat down on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom to think for a minute and realized that I really like what I have now. The dealership didn't have a 2018 to demo ride so I don't have all the information possible. As others have commented, I am just not sure that I am willing to to pony up another 15K+ and possibly not have something better than what we already know and love. Time will tell; maybe as my F6B gets older the newer model with grow on me. I just may give the BMW K1600 Grand America a look in the meantime.

Hey ghost, I have no interest in pushing you towards buying a new Wing, as I'm not doing that either, at least until the reliability has been proven and depreciation takes its toll. However, even though I can appreciate your impressions, and agree with them to an extent, I would encourage you to ride one before you solidify your opinion. The proof really is in the ride on that bike. Plus, I would really like to hear some comparisons between the ride of it and the K1600B, since I haven't had the chance to ride the BMW.

Jason

ghost
02-28-2018, 07:43 PM
Agreed Verismo. I think the BMW is quite similar to the 2018 Wing, so I may have the same reservations with that! Hope to ride both before long. I've gotten spoiled by the F6B.

opas ride
02-28-2018, 08:12 PM
Great impressions and my sentiments at this point..I was not all that impressed with the GW Tour/DCT that I sat on at my dealer last week and after riding my 2013 F6B Deluxe, with all the extras I have installed/spent..I stood back in my garage looking at the bike I love, and said to myself, "What the hell do I need a new bike for"?? As I get older, 78 now, I surely don't need more "whistles, bells, electronic garbage, and more debt!!!....Others may disagree with me, but that is what choice is all about...Regards and ride safe

deb99
02-28-2018, 08:21 PM
Great impressions and my sentiments at this point..I was not all that impressed with the GW Tour/DCT that I sat on at my dealer last week and after riding my 2013 F6B Deluxe, with all the extras I have installed/spent..I stood back in my garage looking at the bike I love, and said to myself, "What the hell do I need a new bike for"?? As I get older, 78 now, I surely don't need more "whistles, bells, electronic garbage, and more debt!!!....Others may disagree with me, but that is what choice is all about...Regards and ride safe
You doing great riding F6B at 78. At 60, you give me much cause for optimism

bigdawg
02-28-2018, 10:09 PM
It seems like a lot of people mention the saddlebags are hard to close. In my humble opinion it is like most things, it's all in the technique. You don't close the bags hard or slam them with your hands. I lift the lid with my hand until it makes contact with the bike. Then since the side of my leg is right next to the lid anyway I just lean into the lid with my leg and body weight until it clicks. I takes no effort at all after you figure it out and works smoothly every time. It works on all of my bikes with the clamshell lid. Try it before you make too much fun of me.

carpdm
03-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Have any of the demo riders noted the accuracy of the speedo?

choptop
03-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Happened to be in the Twin Cities w/some time to burn so went to Tousleys to look at the Goldwing, Had a red Goldwing and a blue touring, looked nice, did not sit on either, and to cold for a test ride, maybe when it warms up. what's the point. Didn't see anything that would really make me want one, at least the 1st year and $20,000 +.

Texas TC
03-09-2018, 06:56 PM
The automatic transmission and new technology improvements are great. I didn’t like the feel, narrow width, or height of the new DCT Wing I rode today. I felt so much better riding home on my old ‘13 F6B with Mustang seat. 41,000 miles and smiles on my old red beast and looking forward to many more.

deb99
03-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Happened to be in the Twin Cities w/some time to burn so went to Tousleys to look at the Goldwing, Had a red Goldwing and a blue touring, looked nice, did not sit on either, and to cold for a test ride, maybe when it warms up. what's the point. Didn't see anything that would really make me want one, at least the 1st year and $20,000 +.
The biggest criticism of the 2018 right now is that the luggage rack was too much reduced. Nevertheless, coming from KAWASAKI C14, the ride/performance of the 2016 F6B feels so anemic that I still believe I am going to get the 2018 as soon as my pending 2016 sale is concluded. Maybe if you get a chance to test ride, you will appreciate what I mean. Be safe

Verismo
03-10-2018, 02:51 AM
The biggest criticism of the 2018 right now is that the luggage rack was too much reduced. Nevertheless, coming from KAWASAKI C14, the ride/performance of the 2016 F6B feels so anemic that I still believe I am going to get the 2018 as soon as my pending 2016 sale is concluded. Maybe if you get a chance to test ride, you will appreciate what I mean. Be safe

No argument about the top end of the C14, deb99, but I had the opposite impression about the Concour's torque down low. I still had my 99 Valkyrie at the time I test rode a new C14(2014), and I was severely unimpressed with the overall vibration and lack of low end grunt. I still like the Concours, but I couldn't wait to get back on the Valk after that ride. And other than the rider triangle being more confined, the F6b is an even smoother version of the Valk.

Jason

deb99
03-10-2018, 11:29 AM
No argument about the top end of the C14, deb99, but I had the opposite impression about the Concour's torque down low. I still had my 99 Valkyrie at the time I test rode a new C14(2014), and I was severely unimpressed with the overall vibration and lack of low end grunt. I still like the Concours, but I couldn't wait to get back on the Valk after that ride. And other than the rider triangle being more confined, the F6b is an even smoother version of the Valk.

Jason
Jason - could not fault you on the '99 Valkyrie but it really does not compare with the performance of the C14. Not sure about the vibration you mentioned, but maybe there were probably some other issues with the one you rode. Cruizing at 110mph presented no vibration issues on the one I rode, and even without "low-end grunt", it was a great ride. Anyway, that "confined rider triangle" you mentioned on the C14 became an big issue after an hour of riding. Highway pegs helped a bit but not too much.

Reason for switch to F6B was a result the great reviews it received about it's performance and not being able to test it myself. I have since come to more fully appreciate the performance difference between sport-touring and touring-sport. After my test ride, I see the 2018 Goldwing fitting the mold of sport-touring. The issues uncovered so far I am sure will be covered under warranty. For now, I have to decide to accept trunk limitation and see what after-market options become available. If I am going to make switch, figure I'll do it now if I receive good offer on 2016 F6B since price for F6B will continue to fall from near $15k it presently commands.
Just my 2c, but be sure to keep your ride safe.:cheers:

Sorcerer
03-10-2018, 05:16 PM
With my 29” inseam on my F6B I’m nearly tip toed. When I sat on the 2018, for me it was much taller than my F6B. I am truly touching just the boot tips on the 2018. Because of the extra height the 2018 felt a lot heavier for me to get off the side stand and standing up right. I will test ride a 2018 just to try one out.

deb99
03-11-2018, 12:14 AM
Wonder if anybody is able top provide comparison between the 2018 Goldwing and the BMW K1600 GTL...

DarkKnt
03-11-2018, 12:53 AM
Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.

keller123
03-11-2018, 10:26 AM
test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???

Verismo
03-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason

opas ride
03-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.

Agree with you 100%..I love my F6B and see no reason to spend a lot of money for a bunch of "whistles and bells", that for the most part, no one needs and just adds extra confusion and distractions for the riding enjoyment...Guess I am also getting old and grumpy!!!.....Ride safe

choptop
03-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Ad me to the "Old and grumpy" bunch. Love the rounded curves and some what old school of my '13 F6b and am not the least bit interested in the new Goldwing.;)

keller123
03-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Yeah add me to the Grumpy Old Men list two! I'm actually looking at a couple of 2016 F6B deluxe's, before they're all gone!

keller123
03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason

Yeah and it could be just it was not setup properly before I took off. After having Cruise man though confirm, along with the other dealer I talked to who had it out for a hundred fifty mile ride, who also complained of not being able to hear it too well, I thought I might have had something there, maybe not though.

Switchmonkey
03-13-2018, 08:01 PM
I’m sorry, but the Matte Grey B just looks too damn good! Nice choice on windshield, too!

Bunny
03-18-2018, 09:55 AM
i have the 2013 F6B that i have fixed up with accessories to the way i like it. . . i love all the new bell and whistles of the new 2018. But i have my F6B to where i want it now and see no reason to switch over and take another mortgage on. I think i will ride my paid for bike and spend the money it would have taken to pay the difference and go on some nice long bike trips. . . . . i already have a great bike that i love for now. Maybe down the line i will change my mind but for now all it really costs me is for oil changes and gas . . . . how do you like that?

opas ride
03-18-2018, 10:21 AM
I agree for now 100%..I don't ride as much as I used to and my 2013 F6B Deluxe is custom painted, Mustang seat, Baggershield, Kury grips, Cobra Pipes, new tires, and extra chrome "bling"..rides fine, runs great, paid for, and does what I need it to do...and only has 14,000 miles on the odo....At age 78, I don't need more debt and have no interest in impressing others with a new bike full of "whistles and bells"....Getting old I guess!!

keller123
03-18-2018, 12:50 PM
i have the 2013 F6B that i have fixed up with accessories to the way i like it. . . i love all the new bell and whistles of the new 2018. But i have my F6B to where i want it now and see no reason to switch over and take another mortgage on. I think i will ride my paid for bike and spend the money it would have taken to pay the difference and go on some nice long bike trips. . . . . i already have a great bike that i love for now. Maybe down the line i will change my mind but for now all it really costs me is for oil changes and gas . . . . how do you like that?

Ditto, who knows what the future will bring but I'm happy with my 2013 F6B standard, I've got the man madstad windshield, Omni lock for cruise control, crampbuster, highway pegs, Center stand, and it's a great running vehicle! I leased an Infiniti Q50 and had to have all the bells and whistles, I'm talking adaptive cruise control, the thing practically drives itself with a technology package on it. I found I barely ever use it! So I'm sure although all the bells and whistles are nice on the Goldwing 2018, unless you're doing cross-country once a month, I don't see the need for half that stuff! I've never found a navigation that's better then my phone anyway, most of them don't see traffic unless you pay extra, Google Maps gives you the fastest route, so I'm sure I would end up using that instead of the built-in navigation, cruise is nice, but how often do you really need to take your right hand off the handle bar? Omni lock serve that purpose for a long trip, and actually does pretty well with a couple of tweaks as you're riding, twisting the throttle. Cost was 50 bucks and 5 minutes to install! So I'm agreeing with you 100% and will be letting Honda work out some bugs which I have heard quite a few now, radio volume, paint, Etc,

UTurn
07-31-2018, 08:36 AM
I eagerly anticipated the new/updated wing. I test drove one recently and agree with most replies on this thread. My impressions are both good/bad. The upgrades to the suspension and electronics/interface are certainly welcome and great. My issues are with the styling, fairing, flimsiness, and especially the storage. The '18 is certainly more angular and less rounded, with the square motor sticking out there as well as the small trapezoidal saddlebags. One thing I love about my F6B, is that I can fit a modular fullface in a saddlebag (along with a couple of pairs of gloves, a nylon pullover, my gerbing heated liner, small bag of bungy cords, small tool bag, and rain pants). The saddlebags are both small and odd-shaped, and couldn't fit my helmet. The trunk was small, too, and might fit one full face. The fairing didn't cover as much as the old. Riding in New England, it's nice to be ensconced behind the fairing in cooler/inclement weather (with baker wings to deflect air in warmer weather). While playing with the new parked '18's that the dealer had, I found that the plastics seem cheaper/thinner. I had a hard time opening/closing the trunk on a couple of the bikes there. I think I'll keep my '13 F6B (with HD King Tourpak I can add/remove in 5 minutes), or upgrade to a newer (<18) "full" Wing. I stopped by a BMW dealer and sat on the K1600GTL. That felt great, and the saddlebag fit my helmet, and the trunk was huge.

VStarRider
08-04-2018, 12:21 PM
I eagerly anticipated the new/updated wing. I test drove one recently and agree with most replies on this thread. My impressions are both good/bad. The upgrades to the suspension and electronics/interface are certainly welcome and great. My issues are with the styling, fairing, flimsiness, and especially the storage. The '18 is certainly more angular and less rounded, with the square motor sticking out there as well as the small trapezoidal saddlebags. One thing I love about my F6B, is that I can fit a modular fullface in a saddlebag (along with a couple of pairs of gloves, a nylon pullover, my gerbing heated liner, small bag of bungy cords, small tool bag, and rain pants). The saddlebags are both small and odd-shaped, and couldn't fit my helmet. The trunk was small, too, and might fit one full face. The fairing didn't cover as much as the old. Riding in New England, it's nice to be ensconced behind the fairing in cooler/inclement weather (with baker wings to deflect air in warmer weather). While playing with the new parked '18's that the dealer had, I found that the plastics seem cheaper/thinner. I had a hard time opening/closing the trunk on a couple of the bikes there. I think I'll keep my '13 F6B (with HD King Tourpak I can add/remove in 5 minutes), or upgrade to a newer (<18) "full" Wing. I stopped by a BMW dealer and sat on the K1600GTL. That felt great, and the saddlebag fit my helmet, and the trunk was huge.

Do you think the lighter plastic is a move to save weight?

opas ride
08-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Do you think the lighter plastic is a move to save weight?

Most everything today it seems is made with cheaper materials. Perhaps to save weight, which is a real concern as well as saving manufacturing costs..With all this tariff "crap" going on who knows what we will see down the road...If I had to guess, I would lean towards saving weight to keep fuel mileage up as much as possible....Ride safe

STRaider
08-25-2018, 01:39 PM
I rode the new Goldwings this morning while getting new tires put on the F6B. A buddy was with me, also getting tires on his F6B. Off we go, him on the Tour and me on the Tour DCT. WOW!!! I loved it. It was better than anticipated. Smooth and precise, and so easy to ride. I played with the different modes, and the sport mode is as described, sporty. The tour mode is comfortable, and probably what I would use the majority of the time. Paddle shifting was easy, the screen is nice and large with no problems with glare, the radio is ok, but I usually ride full face wit bluetooth, so I don't see a big issue there for me. The windshield could go a tad higher (I am 6'3"), and there is more wind on the arms/shoulders, but I don't mind that as much as head buffering, which the shield did a good job of stopping. It was nice to be able to lower the shield. Cruise worked great, gear indicator is nice, controls are pretty easy to use, although it took me a bit to figure out how to change the radio stations, but I did. The suspension is excellent. Watching that front end was like watching a sewing machine going up and down. as it is "bouncing constantly, always in motion, but it works well. No diving on hard stops. The exhaust note is nice, a bit of a deep growl, with just a hint of a drone, but nothing I couldn't live with. It's is not like putting after market pipes on the f6b or anything, in fact I had to think about it to realize there was just a slight drone, but there is just a bit. The riding position is higher and more on the bike than "in" it, but it was comfortable. The DCT I rode had a backrest, the tour did not. No backrest is not an option (for me). This felt like a cross between a BMW and a Janpenese bike, in a positive way. I felt like it was the best of both worlds, a feature rich BMW coupled with the Japaense reliability. I really liked, it, and IF I were to get a new bike, it would be the DCT with no hesitation. I just can't make myself spend that kind of money on a motorcycle. Call me old fashioned, but the B runs too well, fits me too well, and I enjoy it too much to "trade up" right now. Honestly, I expected more of a let down getting back on the B, but there was none, as I enjoy the bike so much. The wife is perfectly fine with me getting one, in fact encouraging me to get one, but I just can't do it. Maybe in a couple of years and the price has come down, but I will say that bike was a pleasure to ride.

opas ride
08-25-2018, 03:03 PM
I appreciated your opinion of the new Goldwings as it was very well done...I am getting older, and shorter, 5'8 1/2" and the seat on the 2018's is way to high for me. I, like you, love the new models and would buy one in a heartbeat now that I have experienced the ride...But, at almost 79 years old, and getting older, I cannot, in my mind, justify the high cost, low value of the F6B, and the need for a bike with a bunch of "whistles and bells" that I never use and don't need....So, like you and others. I will keep my super running, 2013 with all the "farkle" expense I spent to get it the way I wanted....Regards and ride safe

STRaider
08-26-2018, 10:15 AM
That is a great point as well, the low value of the f6b's. There is not much there in the way of a trade, or even a sale of it, so it has much more value to me. I figure at best I would get $9,500, meaning a likely balance on a new Wing of close to $18,000-$20,000 after tt&l. I loved the ride of the bike, but not that much. I could probably scratch that itch with a used RT 1200 @ $8,000-$10,000, keep the B and still be way ahead.

53driver
08-26-2018, 01:28 PM
.... I could probably scratch that itch with a used RT 1200 @ $8,000-$10,000, keep the B and still be way ahead.

Now that is great idea....

STRaider
08-26-2018, 02:43 PM
And there just so happens to be a good deal on one near me...;)

keller123
08-26-2018, 04:47 PM
I rode the new Goldwings this morning while getting new tires put on the F6B. A buddy was with me, also getting tires on his F6B. Off we go, him on the Tour and me on the Tour DCT. WOW!!! I loved it. It was better than anticipated. Smooth and precise, and so easy to ride. I played with the different modes, and the sport mode is as described, sporty. The tour mode is comfortable, and probably what I would use the majority of the time. Paddle shifting was easy, the screen is nice and large with no problems with glare, the radio is ok, but I usually ride full face wit bluetooth, so I don't see a big issue there for me. The windshield could go a tad higher (I am 6'3"), and there is more wind on the arms/shoulders, but I don't mind that as much as head buffering, which the shield did a good job of stopping. It was nice to be able to lower the shield. Cruise worked great, gear indicator is nice, controls are pretty easy to use, although it took me a bit to figure out how to change the radio stations, but I did. The suspension is excellent. Watching that front end was like watching a sewing machine going up and down. as it is "bouncing constantly, always in motion, but it works well. No diving on hard stops. The exhaust note is nice, a bit of a deep growl, with just a hint of a drone, but nothing I couldn't live with. It's is not like putting after market pipes on the f6b or anything, in fact I had to think about it to realize there was just a slight drone, but there is just a bit. The riding position is higher and more on the bike than "in" it, but it was comfortable. The DCT I rode had a backrest, the tour did not. No backrest is not an option (for me). This felt like a cross between a BMW and a Janpenese bike, in a positive way. I felt like it was the best of both worlds, a feature rich BMW coupled with the Japaense reliability. I really liked, it, and IF I were to get a new bike, it would be the DCT with no hesitation. I just can't make myself spend that kind of money on a motorcycle. Call me old fashioned, but the B runs too well, fits me too well, and I enjoy it too much to "trade up" right now. Honestly, I expected more of a let down getting back on the B, but there was none, as I enjoy the bike so much. The wife is perfectly fine with me getting one, in fact encouraging me to get one, but I just can't do it. Maybe in a couple of years and the price has come down, but I will say that bike was a pleasure to ride.

everything you said almost describes my reaction after riding exactly, except, IMO, radio at highway speed...horrible...DCT, could not get used to it in 45 minutes, I like to pull in the clutch and glide way to much to ever go DCT. If I had arthritis, DCT, if not...never. good post!!

STRaider
08-28-2018, 05:10 PM
Blimey!! I went and looked at a 2013 RT 1200 that is under $9,000.00 I don't 't think I can ride one. The pegs are too high up and set back, like a sport bike . At 6'3", I don't think my knees could take that very long. I don't believe a peg lowering kit would be enough. Another good idea gone wrong.

ghost
09-02-2018, 01:24 PM
I wonder if any sales figures have been released for the 2018 Gold Wings? I suspect (without any basis but possibly personal bias) that they aren't selling as well as Honda hoped. If that's true, the desirability of the F6Bs may improve, and the value of our used bikes could go up. Or not.

keller123
09-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Yeah I doubt they are selling as good as they thought they would too. Yes I hope our values go up, but after I buy another one for my wife! F6B just continues to surprise me on how comfortable it is, I love it more every single time I ride it

BigAl1952
09-02-2018, 08:29 PM
When I look at that North of 20K price tag and see used 2013 deluxe out here brand new for 12K Im thinkin I really like the one I have alot.

STRaider
09-21-2018, 05:04 PM

SOOOOOO, the 2013 1200RT I was looking at and went and sat on has been there this entrie time, but the dealer (which is mostly a high volume Harley dealer) made it a Manager's Special, knocked another $1200 off of it, and I was still resisting it. Two weeks I've been waiting for that thing to sell. When I looked at it before, my knees were too bent, and I didn't think it would work for me. I went back and looked again today, and remembered on my GS 1200 I could raise the seat, which I could also do on this bike. That helped the knee angle quite a bit, so with lowering pegs I believe this bike will work pretty well for me. The bike has had a tip over, but only the valve cover was scratched a little (the pics were worse than in person) and there are now guards on them. Aside from that it is clean looking with just above normal wear and a few tiny rock dings on the fender. There is an aftermarket exhaust, extra bmw sockets, they are putting a new rear tire on it, and the bike has 30,000 miles on it. It has the soft bags inside the hard bags that look brand new and also the motorad bmw gps, which the salesman didn't know was in the bag. This bike is sweet, and is the blue color I prefer.

Needless to say, I am the new owner of a 2013 BMW 1200RT. The deal was too good to pass up, at $7,700.00. Riding the new GoldWing gave me the bug to buy one and have some goodies (heated grips, seat, esa, electronic cruise and even the gps) integrated into the bike/controls, but this deal should satisfy me for at least a couple of years and obviously made more economic sense. I had an ST 1300 for years and loved it, but was always envious of the goodies on the RT's.

53driver
09-21-2018, 05:45 PM
SOOOOOO, the 2013 1200RT I was looking at and went and sat on has been there this entrie time, but the dealer (which is mostly a high volume Harley dealer) made it a Manager's Special, knocked another $1200 off of it, and I was still resisting it. Two weeks I've been waiting for that thing to sell. When I looked at it before, my knees were too bent, and I didn't think it would work for me. I went back and looked again today, and remembered on my GS 1200 I could raise the seat, which I could also do on this bike. That helped the knee angle quite a bit, so with lowering pegs I believe this bike will work pretty well for me. The bike has had a tip over, but only the valve cover was scratched a little (the pics were worse than in person) and there are now guards on them. Aside from that it is clean looking with just above normal wear and a few tiny rock dings on the fender. There is an aftermarket exhaust, extra bmw sockets, they are putting a new rear tire on it, and the bike has 30,000 miles on it. It has the soft bags inside the hard bags that look brand new and also the motorad bmw gps, which the salesman didn't know was in the bag. This bike is sweet, and is the blue color I prefer.

Needless to say, I am the new owner of a 2013 BMW 1200RT. The deal was too good to pass up, at $7,700.00. Riding the new GoldWing gave me the bug to buy one and have some goodies (heated grips, seat, esa, electronic cruise and even the gps) integrated into the bike/controls, but this deal should satisfy me for at least a couple of years and obviously made more economic sense. I had an ST 1300 for years and loved it, but was always envious of the goodies on the RT's.

Congratulations!
So...are you now "RTRaider"?????

Cheers,
Steve

Joflewbyu2
09-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Blimey!! I went and looked at a 2013 RT 1200 that is under $9,000.00 I don't 't think I can ride one. The pegs are too high up and set back, like a sport bike . At 6'3", I don't think my knees could take that very long. I don't believe a peg lowering kit would be enough. Another good idea gone wrong.

I noticed the BMW dealer here gets in quite a few used bikes. At 30k miles they really start to drop in value to less than 1/2. There should be many of those becoming available since the new engine is coming out and people trade.

STRaider
09-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Congratulations!
So...are you now "RTRaider"?????

Cheers,
Steve
I joined the forum before I bought the f6b. I really need to be F6BRaider. Can a screen name be changed?

STRaider
09-21-2018, 08:00 PM
I noticed the BMW dealer here gets in quite a few used bikes. At 30k miles they really start to drop in value to less than 1/2. There should be many of those becoming available since the new engine is coming out and people trade.

It's fantastic!

53driver
09-21-2018, 09:28 PM
I joined the forum before I bought the f6b. I really need to be F6BRaider. Can a screen name be changed?

I honestly don't know....
If you PM RickW, he can provide an answer.
Cheers,
Steve

Alberta Beagle
05-10-2019, 12:12 PM
test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???

Audio is best when used with a Sena or Cardo connected to the bike. Apple Car Play or Internet radio makes this bike a pleasure.

Personally I have never rated a bike based on audio performance as it is very low on my list of luxuries.

Ride, handling, power and the DCT make this bike a winner. I have owned 2 F6B's and a 2018 Goldwing Bagger 6spd and now have a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. The F6B is a great bike but the 2018 is motorcycling on a whole new level.

For those who love their F6B I fully support your love for the bike as I loved both of mine and never imagined it could get better.........it did with the 2018 Tour DCT.

Beagle

mielelaw
05-19-2019, 11:31 AM
I have owned a lot of "Touring" bikes - 2009 HD Roadglide, 1999 Valkyrie Interstate, 2013 F6B, 2008 Road King Classic, 2013 BMWK1600GLT, 2013 Victory Vision and 2018 Goldwing Tour. I had the BMW K & the F6B at the same time. Loved the K for its power and handling. Only reason sold it was due to the leg angle - my arthritic knees could not stay in that position very long. Of all the bikes I ever owned, I thought the K1600GLT was about as good a bike you could ride with the F6B a close second. However, last year I traded in the F6B for the new Wing at Track N Trail in College Park, Pa. That is also where I bought the F6B. I live 300 miles from the place but their deals are so good, it makes the long ride worth it. The new Wing Tour (manual) is every bit as good as the BMW K1600GLT. May not have the hp of the K but it is plenty, especially in Sport mode. The handling is on par, if not better, due to the Wing lower center of gravity. I sometimes do miss the F6B for its lower seating position and more laid back ride. My Victory Vision actually reminds me a little of the F6B. The bottom line is that I have absolutely no regrets trading in the F6B for the new Wing as I believe it to be the better bike but the F6B is still a great bike.