PDA

View Full Version : 2016 World's Longest Moto Rally

MichaelG
11-04-2013, 12:22 AM
If interested, have the time..and money...here is a ride to check out.

http://worldmotorally.com/rally-info/

unsub
11-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Nice find.

MichaelG
11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Allow me to comment that while this ride might appear to be interesting to some, I would caution those folks that "might" consider this ride, as I already see some errors in the planning of the ride, and in the organization of the event. Some of the errors are simple ones, like...Little Rock is not in Arizona, but is in Arkansas. That is a minor thing, but a well organized machine of an event would have picked up on that error, and never allowed it to be published on their website. Other things to consider is...while this is NOT a competive event, and riders can take their own routes, and ride at their own pace...the weekend parties at checkpoints (these are not mandatory checkpoint parties) have a large gap of time...with short distances. Example...one particular weekend checkpoint party is at Ely, Nevada, the very next weekend checkpoint party is in Durango, Colorado. That is a span of 7 days, and a short distance of less than 1000 miles.

Now, yes...I understand that a lot of the riders in this event are from many different countries, and having not ridden in the USA before, they may want to leave Ely, Nevada on a Sunday morning, and spend the next 6 days riding all over the Rockies, and arrive in Durango, Colorado the following Saturday afternoon. But this event is a 113 day event. You can do it faster if you want, or slower...I suppose. Their plan is a guideline...not a mandatory framework.

But, given that the cost of this event for participants is a $ 10K entry fee, plus expected personal expenses of between $ 20K to 30K, that is a lot of coin to be laying out for a trip of 113 days, that does not appear to be a well oiled machine....YET !

I do get it...the route is basically a straight line around the globe...Starting in London, and going East...then Finishing in London. And because there is so much time between the Saturday evening checkpoinjt parties, a rider or group of riders could wander off in many directions during that week in between checkpoints parties, and see the sites they want to see in that area of the globe. In a sense, I like that.

Once I get my brain wrapped around this being a "non-competitive" event, and that the proposed route is just a framework for lining up the weekend checkpoint parties, the ability to ride to parts unknown during each week...is appealing.

So...I am considering doing this. The key word..."considering". If anyone is interested in doing this, let me know. Planning on this type of ride takes a lot of preparation, and fortunately we have almost 18 months. That is perfect timing to start planning. It is also wise to do a ride like this with at least one other rider, but no more than 3 other riders in your personal group. Having a personal group of two (2) riders is "safe", and gives you someone to have meals with, depend on for back-up, share room expenses, etc. Having up to four (4) riders in your personal group is the limit you would want, without encumbering anyone. More than 4 riders in your personal group becomes an issue.

I have ridden to a lot of the places we could or would be visiting. If you are interested in riding along with me, I can aid in being a guide to some of these countries. Give this some thought...do NOT wait to the last minute to make the decision...and most importantly...be truly able to ride, and then we can discuss what bikes we will bring to the ride. It will not be an F6B...that is for sure. Most likely a lightweight dual-sport...i.e., a V-Strom 650 kind of bike. It is also "helpful" but not mandatory...but helpful if those riders in your own personal riding group all have the same model of bike.

Let me know, as I need to make my own decision too.