PDA

View Full Version : Which is it? I'm confused.

six2go
02-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Of all the members on this forum, there are quite a few that I recognize from the VRCC as Valk owners. Some have kept the Valks after acquiring the "B" and others like myself have moved on to the F6B in by selling or trading the Valk.

On the VRCC Forum, and to a lesser extent on the VOAI Board, members would discuss the virtues of the Valk Versus a Gold Wing with most saying that "I like to see a motor on my motorcycle". Or maybe, "too much tupperware on a Wing, I like the classic look".

So now we have a new redesigned Wing and I'm seeing comments like, "That motor really sticks out too far looking at it from the front". Or, "I like the bigger fairing better."

So which is it? Were you a Valk owner who condemned Wings for having too much plastic & hiding the motor and now thinks the motor sticks out to far? Or do you think the styling of the new Wing will win over younger buyers?

choptop
02-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Can not speak for anyone else, I come from cruisers, Harley and Yamaha, this is my 1st wing, black, the fastest. I initially fell in love w/the look, then the power, reliability and the comfort. I have only seen pictures of the new wing and have read the reviews in magazines and from members on this forum. Seems to be everything the B is and more. That being said, I doubt very much that I would buy one, economics and age are my biggest determining factors along w/the fact that I don't like the body work, I love my big fairing and round bodywork and it has taken me years and a substantial amount of money to make it mine and after I get the Traxxion full monty, it will be were I want it to be. I can't wait to see the new Wing in person and possibly sit on it but a test ride is not in my future.

Heatnbeat
02-16-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm kinda with Choptop. I love the mechanicalness of my old Harley, it's kind of my hotrod. I like seeing the engine and parts and I enjoy tinkering with it.It feeds the inner teenager. My 13 F6B is different. I like it's looks but it's different. It's a no muss no fuss seamless get on it and ride. And like Chop I doubt I'll ever buy another unless God forbid something happens to this one. Age and economics, life is what it is.

opas ride
02-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Of all the members on this forum, there are quite a few that I recognize from the VRCC as Valk owners. Some have kept the Valks after acquiring the "B" and others like myself have moved on to the F6B in by selling or trading the Valk.

On the VRCC Forum, and to a lesser extent on the VOAI Board, members would discuss the virtues of the Valk Versus a Gold Wing with most saying that "I like to see a motor on my motorcycle". Or maybe, "too much tupperware on a Wing, I like the classic look".

So now we have a new redesigned Wing and I'm seeing comments like, "That motor really sticks out too far looking at it from the front". Or, "I like the bigger fairing better."

So which is it? Were you a Valk owner who condemned Wings for having too much plastic & hiding the motor and now thinks the motor sticks out to far? Or do you think the styling of the new Wing will win over younger buyers?

I had a 99 Valk Tourer and loved the looks of the big motor with its 6 carbs, pipes, and chrome shining timing cover protruding from the front of the motor...The new GW does not have the same appearance at all..To me trying to compare the old Valk's motor with the newer generation is like "apples to oranges"..Both are nice in their own way, I just think the motor is much more noticeable from the front than the older models and I am sure it will sell just fine as it is a Honda!!!

JackB
02-16-2018, 11:06 PM
I didn't notice the motor sticking out but at Chicago bike show my buddy who drives a Valkyrie said boy that motor really shicks not and it does but I still think it looks great.
I even like how the new Wing doesn't have the plastic cover behind the engine anymore.

Joflewbyu2
02-17-2018, 02:47 AM
I swapped my 14 Valkyrie for the F6BD. They are very different rides. I miss the Valkyrie as a muscle cruiser - a naked big bike for around town. I added a tall windshield and saddlebags for more convenience and got even more enjoyment out of her. I did like the saddlebags ease of use and top opening better but like the F6B linked brakes more as well as the full fairing with radio. The F6B does seem to sit a tad lower and even with more weight (+100 lbs), handles just as good. Probably since the F6B fuel tank is below the seat instead of in front and above the hip as on Valkyrie.

F6Dave
02-17-2018, 09:03 AM
I bought a Valk Tourer in '98 and still love it. For the time it was a great choice, with the smooth reliable drive train of the Wing, but lighter, faster, and prettier. With the roomy bags and large screen it could still eat up the miles like a Wing. The only shortcoming is the appetite for fuel (I rarely get more than 33 MPG) which requires frequent stops.

I still have it, but with 175,000 miles I wanted something similar but newer. I searched the market, rode a K1600 and Rocket III, but liked the F6B the best. The rock solid reliability of the Wing platform was a factor. The bikes look different, but are similar in many ways.

I like the new Wing a lot, but it looks a lot more like a sport-tourer to me. However I think Honda made the right choice by aiming for a younger rider. I've attended several Valkyrie rallies and we're an aging group.

Below are a pair of photos taken in the same place, 16 years apart. Too bad I didn't close the left saddlebag lid back in '99.

http://dchealy.com/valk/bluemesa9915.jpg

vmaxed
02-17-2018, 09:14 AM
I had a 1998 Valk "coffee"

Bagger
03-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Interesting .... I was on the VRCC forum back in the '97. I had a '99 Tourer (black) that I sold to a friend. He still has it. Moved on to the 2001 Goldwing and the forum there, too. Had that bike for 15+ years (many other bikes came and went) ... it was my favorite bike of all.

When the NEW Valk came out, I wasn't all that keen on the look, but the motor pushed me to pick one up. Didn't suit me for long and I traded it in (took a bath on the trade) for a new 2015 F6B. I've modified it a great deal and love this bike. But, the tech is nearly 2 decades old. Hell, it doesn't even have ABS ! It is now my favorite bike of all .... However, I'm about to swap it for something else.

Weather here in New England has been less than grand. But, when it breaks in a couple weeks, I plan to ride the NEW Wing back-to-back with the BMW K16B. I've been following MBs on both, looking at reviews of both on youTube, and looking at them in person.

Not sure what I will do, but I'm leaning toward the BMW K16B. I'll find out when I ride them both. BTW, not interested in the DCT. Had someithing similar in my previous Porsche TT. Very fast, but lacked personality. I would opt for the manual tranny in the Wing If I were to get one.

Also .... recognize some of the "handles" of the previous VRCC and Goldwing MBs. Nice to see some of you guys still around! :)

Kokomo Kevin
03-15-2018, 08:39 PM
I too came over from VRCC. I still have my 98 Valkyrie, with Viking Pipes, Dyna Ignition, Ultimate King Seats in the stable with my 13 F6B standard. They say you have more than one love in your
life, I am lucky that I have both of them still under one roof. The 98 may be getting long in the tooth but she still is very capable of going cross country and looking good on Saturday nights. The 13
is a different beast, and she is a keeper too. I plan to ride them both and at 61 years of age they will both outlast me.

six2go
03-15-2018, 09:16 PM
I too came over from VRCC. I still have my 98 Valkyrie, with Viking Pipes, Dyna Ignition, Ultimate King Seats in the stable with my 13 F6B standard. They say you have more than one love in your
life, I am lucky that I have both of them still under one roof. The 98 may be getting long in the tooth but she still is very capable of going cross country and looking good on Saturday nights. The 13
is a different beast, and she is a keeper too. I plan to ride them both and at 61 years of age they will both outlast me.Kevin, At 61 you're just a "pup". I'm 73 and plan of riding til ???. Sometime this Spring you should head North & I'll go South and we could meet for a cup of "Joe".

Kokomo Kevin
03-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Six2go,
Sounds great. I usually make a shot up your way to Hudson Leather to see what they have for sale, Will try and coordinate with you later this spring.

six2go
03-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Six2go,
Sounds great. I usually make a shot up your way to Hudson Leather to see what they have for sale, Will try and coordinate with you later this spring.

Kool!:cheers:

RTaz
03-20-2018, 07:52 PM
I have been a member of the VRCC for a long time, I've had a standard, two tourers, and an 01 Interstate. Loved them all! I still have the RTaz 01 Interstate. 4977 I bought a 2013 F6B and love that also. I'm getting older and the handling of the b is allowing me to ride longer and in more comfort. I believe the new Wing is once again setting the standard for comfort cruising with handling of a sport bike, the young people that take one out for a ride will definitely be all over this bike.

Kokomo Kevin
03-20-2018, 08:37 PM
RTaz
Nice looking Scoot! Funny how you look at another custom Valkyrie, you see many of the same parts we all put on them. MY 98 has a full progressive suspension, Cobra Light Bar etc. My 13 has
Ergo 2, Ultimate King and rattlebars kick shift, floorboards and it is really comfortable for the longer hauls. I just will not get rid of the 98 as she has brought many good memories. My son also has a 98 Tour
and we have been cross country many times over the last 10 years, Will try and post a pic of them one of these days.....

F6Bster
03-20-2018, 10:10 PM
.score10/10.score10/10.score10/10.score10/10

Walcrow
03-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Sweet Valk, RTaz.

ths61
03-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Maybe it is the difference between the 1st kid and the last kid in the litter. You fret over the first one and toss the last one in the washing machine and you are done. After having a boatload of chrome, I am happy to be able to do a quick wipe down. Also, less pitting due to salt air. :D

RTaz
03-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Just a few of my other Valks

Kokomo Kevin
03-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Nice looking Bikes! So got to tell you story about sons bike. He learned to ride my 98 Std, and when he graduated from college I promised him that I would help him
buy his first bike. So he comes to me in late September and says he just got his 98 Std off ebay and he wants to go pick it up on the next weekend. He excitedly tells
me it is up in Michigan and it will be easy to go get it and drive it home. I agree but ask him where in Michigan? He say's some place called Copper Harbor! I said well
it may be in Michigan, but it is closer to Canada than Michigan. He looks at me like I am crazy. I tell him go get the map and look at it. Needless to say we went and got
it and he rode the damn thing straight through to central Indiana. Damn coldest ride he has ever taken! He still has it 15 years later.....

jellybean
03-21-2018, 09:46 PM
I have the privileged owning all the late wing model at the same period of time and I like and dislike all of them ...the old full wing was great for long trip but nightmare for downtown rush hour traffic, the F6C was most power but you can't not carry anything including your riding gears , we installed corbin saddle bags and made it looked like the F6B...and now with the new 2018 DCT good riding position , walking mode is genius but I have NOWHERE for my full face helmet which fit perfectly on the F6B.
So now I just shut up and ride...:)

JB

olegoat345
03-26-2018, 12:05 PM
Went to the local Honda dealer to see the '18 GW. They only had a full dressed one, just one. I'll say it's nice, lots of up grades. Honestly, I like the lines of my B better. A new bike is not in my plans.

shortleg0521
03-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Yes the need to remove panels is something I have had to learn to put up with.
But that is something you learn to do on this bike.
Just like dealing with the rear end and the six carbs on my Valk.50005001
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/788/27180335898_2ab41a540a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/HpQjV1)DSC02556_edited (https://flic.kr/p/HpQjV1) by David Greenhause (https://www.flickr.com/photos/163359515@N05/), on Flickr

valkmc
04-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Favorite of all the bikes I have owned. I love the F6 and may look at the new Wing but this one stole my heart. Wish I kept it!!!

F6Bster
04-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Favorite of all the bikes I have owned. I love the F6 and may look at the new Wing but this one stole my heart. Wish I kept it!!!
I miss my 98 Valk also. Those 1520cc Valks were really unique motorcycle...looks and sounds!!! My best riding buddy has two 1520cc Valks, a tourer with custom paint and an interstate. He thought about getting an F6B, but a good ride always changes his mind.

Really enjoyed the 154k miles I put on my 2002 GL1800, and the 18k that I put on my FJR1300, but I am really enjoying my F6B for now. I wish they were all still in my garage!