PDA

View Full Version : Stock Seat - Plastic under cover?

F6BPDX
11-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Morning Folks. As we are getting ready for our first couple weeks of solid rain here in the PNW I am curious if any of you who switched over to a RDL or similar happen to know if the stock seat has a plastic sheeting between the cover and the foam.

I park in a garage at home, but at work the bike sits out in the elements. I have a cover but it's a hassle since at the end of the day it is wet and they don't really appreciate me hanging it in the lobby to drip dry.

My only concern with not using it is a consistently wet seat, not from a wet butt standpoint since I wear rain pants, but from a moldy/mildew seat foam standpoint.

Thanks!

MichaelG
11-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Morning Folks. As we are getting ready for our first couple weeks of solid rain here in the PNW I am curious if any of you who switched over to a RDL or similar happen to know if the stock seat has a plastic sheeting between the cover and the foam.

I park in a garage at home, but at work the bike sits out in the elements. I have a cover but it's a hassle since at the end of the day it is wet and they don't really appreciate me hanging it in the lobby to drip dry.

My only concern with not using it is a consistently wet seat, not from a wet butt standpoint since I wear rain pants, but from a moldy/mildew seat foam standpoint.

Thanks!

Mike, I can assure you that the stock...OEM seat on your bike can sit out in the rain for 40 days and 40 nights of rain, and it will not get moldy/mildew inside the seat. However, after 40 days and 40 nights of constant rain, the bike may be at the bottom of a newly formed lake.

Seriously, the seat will not get wet UNDER the cover.

However, IMHO, I would cover that bike that is sitting outswide in the rain all day while you are at work. Bring a plastic bag...stuff the wet cover inside it for the ride home, then hang it up to dry out overnight inside your garage. :icon_rolleyes:

F6BPDX
11-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Mike, I can assure you that the stock...OEM seat on your bike can sit out in the rain for 40 days and 40 nights of rain, and it will not get moldy/mildew inside the seat. However, after 40 days and 40 nights of constant rain, the bike may be at the bottom of a newly formed lake.

Seriously, the seat will not get wet UNDER the cover.

However, IMHO, I would cover that bike that is sitting outswide in the rain all day while you are at work. Bring a plastic bag...stuff the wet cover inside it for the ride home, then hang it up to dry out overnight inside your garage. :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks Miles. And your suggestion is a good one.......it sounds an awful lot like more crap to have to do though. :banghead:

Tbone56
11-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Thanks!

Yes, the OEM seat has plastic sheeting between the outer cover and the foam. I just sold a OEM seat to a forum member, and all he wanted was the seat pan, and it was cheaper to ship just the pan without the foam and cover, so I did strip it down to the seat pan.

BIGLRY
11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Yes, the OEM seat has plastic sheeting between the outer cover and the foam. I just sold a OEM seat to a forum member, and all he wanted was the seat pan, and it was cheaper to ship just the pan without the foam and cover, so I did strip it down to the seat pan.

And it arrived here in great shape (super pack job) and will be going to RDL shortly....thanks:yes: