PDA

View Full Version : Felt like a flat front tire but wasnt!

keller123
02-18-2018, 05:32 PM
So if there is an expert on how a flat front tire feels like its me, I have had 3 flat tires in the last 4 years. 2 Fronts and a Rear. All at highway speeds. So this time though my bike was parked for a while, in garage, just had it out for about 1 1/2 hours ago for about 45 minute ride, everything felt great as usual. I had checked the tire pressure today before ride, spot on 38 front 42 rear. Fire the bike up....was maneuvering out of garage and felt like front steering sluggish and when pulling back in neutral was really hard to pull back...thought maybe just me. So pulled out of driveway and completely felt like i had a front flat. I went 40 feet, pulled a U turn and came back to garage. Got the Mrs out and slow rolled the bike to check for foreign object...nothing. I guess knowing the feeling of a flat and just looking at the front tire (which always looks flat or low to me, LOL,) my hysterical blindness and anger just told me it was flat, pulled out the slow electric pump i have for cig lighter and put on front tire and began to pump, 1 min goes by, check the pump, tire looked the same....3 minutes...yes i said this is a slow pump...tire looks the same. Pull off the pump and use my digital pressure gauge, never trusted my pump gauge...gauge reading 47!! let some air out....checked again, 43....waited....checked again....43...wow...let air down to 40, put some spit around the bottom of the valve stem, no bubbles....checked pressure after 5 min, 40....lowered to 37 and got back on bike, turning normaly now!! started and rolled down the driveway, perfect....took for a 5 mile test....did not recreate the problem. I do not think I was dreaming this all up....no fork seal oil, brake callipers/ pads, checked break fluid front and backed, look perfect...just checked pressure again, 37! Thoughts?

WEGI
02-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Hi Keller

Maybe the front brake was hung up?

WEG

keller123
02-18-2018, 06:29 PM
Hi Keller

Maybe the front brake was hung up?

WEG

So I guess that is a very likely option, it certainly felt like maybe one side was hung up, and would make sense that it would slow down and make it hard to back up in neutral, does that sort of thing happen all the time? Kind of nervous if that happened at a high speed!

Sorcerer
02-18-2018, 11:00 PM
What year? Last time the break fluids flushed? Recall done?

keller123
02-19-2018, 07:04 AM
What year? Last time the break fluids flushed? Recall done?

2013, all brake fluid flush with brake recall in October last year

Sorcerer
02-19-2018, 08:42 AM
You paid extra to have the front break reservoir flushed? Front reservoir and line was not part of the recall. Some shops would do all of it. Some would give the option, at a price. Others never brought it up.

keller123
02-19-2018, 09:19 AM
You paid extra to have the front break reservoir flushed? Front reservoir and line was not part of the recall. Some shops would do all of it. Some would give the option, at a price. Others never brought it up.

Yeah and it's funny I heard mixed things on what was included in what not, the original place that I took it to that said they did the recall, and then later on when I took it over to this new place they examined the parts and said the recall was never done, I paid extra at the first place to have the recall performed and the front flushed, the second place said they did it as part of the recall, so confusing what you hear from dealership to dealership on that, but yes to answer your question both front and rear we're done in October on 2nd brake recall job.

olegoat345
02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
To each his own, I always keep my tires at max psi, or 1-2 lbs. below max tire pressure, on side of tire. I check them before every ride unless it's only been week.
I suppose if I had, had several flats I would be looking / feeling a flat too. If it's the same brand tire, you might want to switch brands. Let's face it, not all tires are created equal.