PDA

View Full Version : Clear or Light Smoke ?

Cleaver1
11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Wanting to change my front turn signals away from the orange, but would still like to be noticed when signaling for a turn. Would you go with the light smoke with yellow bulb, or clear with yellow bulb. Also is their a bulb that looks clear then flashes yellow? Thanks for your input.
Marty

MichaelG
11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I went with the light smoke, with an amber bulb, and I am happy with that choice.

1951vbs
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I went with the light smoke, with an amber bulb, and I am happy with that choice.

I went with the same combination. I was initially concerned about reduced visibility but when the signals are flashing they are bright and amber. You really only see the smoke tint when they are off. I also applied light tint to the rear signals (not the brake) and they are still very bright.

Steve 0080
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
You are asking a legal question….. the clear or smoke should not be a issue…..what does your STATE require for the color of the bulb…Most if not all require yellow in the front and red in the back…if the back is yellow it can only be for the turn and NOT a turn/brake combo…. just sayin...

I have gone with clear as the front of my bike is clear...if using a dark shield then a smoke lens would match....

I believe there is a bulb that looks clear, but lights up yellow....

Hornblower
11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
I went with clear for a couple of reasons. First, I like the look of clear when the lights are off and second, I felt I needed clear so the Vertex emergency flashers would be clear and bright (a la Blackbetty 12). The amber bulbs that came with my lens kit yield a slightly different yellow from stock but it's acceptable (to me).

F6B-RICH
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I went with the smoke and amber bulb and like the way it looks with a black F6B.

Ebony Deluxe
11-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Also went with smoked lens, and amber bulbs. Much better than the pumpkin look.

billv45
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
I went with the smoke and amber bulb and like the way it looks with a black F6B.

I love the way tinted lenses look on a black bike while they aren't on but aren't they still yellow when you are riding down the road? Doesn't the tint just dim the brightness down a bit when the lights are on?

1951vbs
11-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I love the way tinted lenses look on a black bike while they aren't on but aren't they still yellow when you are riding down the road? Doesn't the tint just dim the brightness down a bit when the lights are on?

Yes! But you can't see them when you are on the bike.:icon_lol:

F6B-RICH
11-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Yes.I guess I like the look of the tinted lenses on the black F6B when parked is what I mean.

pblair
11-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Wanting to change my front turn signals away from the orange, but would still like to be noticed when signaling for a turn. Would you go with the light smoke with yellow bulb, or clear with yellow bulb. Also is their a bulb that looks clear then flashes yellow? Thanks for your input.
Marty

Check out this click here -> bulb (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08B08G5913&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Lights+%26+Lighting+Accessories-_-9SIA08B08G5913). You might find them at your local auto parts.

glryder98
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Billv45 right you are. I went with the tinted lens and amber bulb. After installation I turned the ignition on and the lenses still turned amber. WTF. So here is what I did. When you unplug the turn signal socket use a small screwdriver to remove the middle wire from the bulb side this will disconnect the running lights but will not affect the turn signals. Now there will be no running lights in front and turn signals still work.

hiflyer
11-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Billv45 right you are. I went with the tinted lens and amber bulb. After installation I turned the ignition on and the lenses still turned amber. WTF. So here is what I did. When you unplug the turn signal socket use a small screwdriver to remove the middle wire from the bulb side this will disconnect the running lights but will not affect the turn signals. Now there will be no running lights in front and turn signals still work.

After riding BMWs for many years, no running lights from the factory, I like to have 'em.

1951vbs
11-13-2013, 08:16 PM

IMO best to keep the running lights. The cagers could care less about how your bike looks. When you sit and look at it with the smoke signals it looks cool and like I said once you are riding down the road you can't see it anyway.

glryder98
11-13-2013, 08:18 PM
IF that is the way your thinking then you can't see the yellow lenses when you are riding down the road either
The point is to match the blacked out effect of the rest of the bike.

Scotrod
11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Aye Carrumba!

LMAO!!!

1951vbs
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
IF that is the way your thinking then you can't see the yellow lenses when you are riding down the road either
The point is to match the blacked out effect of the rest of the bike.

Yes that is true, I agree with you, that is why I put smoke lens on my signals front and back. But I look at it "blacked out" without the running lights on so that is why it doesn't bother me if they look amber when I am riding. I hope that helps to clarify.

Talldude
11-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Can any one of the above post pics of their turn signals? Thanks

Talldude

F6B-RICH
11-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Can any one of the above post pics of their turn signals? Thanks

Talldude

Ok here you go

Talldude
11-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Ok here you go Mmmm the ones in BikeMP3 seem to be more dark. Are those full smoke or light smoke? Thanks so much for your pictures!

MichaelG
11-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Manuel, I sent you a PM.:shhh:

F6B-RICH
11-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Mmmm the ones in BikeMP3 seem to be more dark. Are those full smoke or light smoke? Thanks so much for your pictures!

Looked back at my paperwork and it just says smoke.