PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Goldwing ENGINE DRONE ???

Phantom
03-04-2018, 10:14 AM
:017:
For those thinking of buying the NEW 2018 GOLDWING ....

From what I have read there might be a MAJOR problem just now being reported by a few new owners .... Engine DRONE between 65 - 75 miles per hour.
If this is the case ..... get out your popcorn :popcorn:

This is a Touring Bike, if I had to be on the Interstate for hours .... I personally would not want a Engine Drone impeding my stereo system and driving me crazy.
There are complaints about the Fit and Finish....... I am keeping what I have for a while.
This Engine Drone will not be a easy fix, nope ....... Torq Loops won't help that.

I have not personally test rode one of these, I will WAIT for at least 1 or 2 years. This is a whole NEW Aluminum Engine and I am not ready to plop down money on a unproven engine. :cheers:

opas ride
03-04-2018, 11:20 AM
:017:
For those thinking of buying the NEW 2018 GOLDWING ....

From what I have read there might be a MAJOR problem just now being reported by a few new owners .... Engine DRONE between 65 - 75 miles per hour.
If this is the case ..... get out your popcorn :popcorn:

This is a Touring Bike, if I had to be on the Interstate for hours .... I personally would not want a Engine Drone impeding my stereo system and driving me crazy.
There are complaints about the Fit and Finish....... I am keeping what I have for a while.
This Engine Drone will not be a easy fix, nope ....... Torq Loops won't help that.

I have not personally test rode one of these, I will WAIT for at least 1 or 2 years. This is a whole NEW Aluminum Engine and I am not ready to plop down money on a unproven engine. :cheers:

Agree 100%...I am beginning to question, at times lately, if whether or not Honda is having some quality issues...I do remember that they had a lot of engines blowing up in Indy cars for a while but seemed to have corrected it with later versions??....I have ridden Honda bikes for years with less issues, although, than other brands...I guess we "just wait and see"....Regards

broncsrule21
03-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Torque Masters pipes gonna make a fortune.

ths61
03-04-2018, 01:50 PM
I saw quite a lengthy youtube review of the ST1833. The narrator mentioned it had a drone that would appear in top gear when nearing the 65MPH range. The review was fairly formal over a few days (had the bike on the road and on a showroom pedestal) versus just an average Joe's test ride review. There are so many youtube videos now, it is hard to find it again.

Walcrow
03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Maybe it's time to patent some "2018 Gold Wing Cat Pipe Cutters--Own the Drone"........might be slow sales for a while though!

ths61
03-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Cruiseman just released his first ST1833 video of his new bike and confirmed the drone @ 65MPH in his video. He also has some gripes about fit and finish and can not fit his single HJC full face helmet in the trunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynM7Qx88Fb0

Travelor
03-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Cruiseman just released his first ST1833 video of his new bike and confirmed the drone @ 65MPH in his video. He also has some gripes about fit and finish and can not fit his single HJC full face helmet in the trunk.

Interesting. Similar look top case on the new BMW K1600B Grand America and it will take 2 full face helmets in the top case.

opas ride
03-04-2018, 05:40 PM
After viewing Cruiseman's video of the 2018 GW Tour, I think he has some valid issues for GW riders...I am presently not in the market for a new bike so I will wait and see what the future brings....Not interested in the full touring bike anyhow as I absolutely do not need, or want, all the electronic "whistles and bells, suspension adjustments, etc. etc....Otherwise it is a really nice bike, but as I pointed out on another post, Honda seems to have some "quality issues".....Regards

K/W Motoman
03-04-2018, 07:13 PM
As someone who has owned a few ST1300’s and waited for many years for an updated version I smiled when others Forum
members started to call the new Wing a ST1833. I thought the same thing and from the reviews I am beginning to think Honda has built a very, very expensive ST.

bob109
03-04-2018, 07:16 PM
You can bet Honda is all ears on every review written on the 2018! Like every other manufacturer, be they auto or cycle, the introduction of "First Year Models" become "Owner Test Beds. Keen eyes and ears glean any and all info from reported and accomplished "warranty work"! Defective parts are returned to the manufacturer for "Finite Failure Analysis" and improvements inducted into the manufacturing process! Some manufacturers are quicker than others to respond to defects which are usually "safety" related. With Honda's long record of superb engine building, to include the new "sleeveless flat six" I highly doubt the heart and soul of the 18's would be anything to worry about. Drone is another matter! Honda listened to folks who complained of too tame exhaust! Achieving a nice/respectable rumble at idle was achieved. Hearing a 18 first hand at a local dealer, I was impressed. Unfortunately it seems, early on, that there has been a trade off! If the "drone" is as pronounced as initially reported, I'll be holding on to my 13 with stock exhaust. With 56K miles on the clock, original spark plugs in place, 40/42 MPG and the "brake recall" completed and equipped with options I deemed appropriate, My 13 my well be my first ever, 200K mile cycle!

shortleg0521
03-04-2018, 07:28 PM
As many on this board will tell you our older Valkyries did the miles, I
suspect that as long as the tabs last on our plastics we will be able to do 200k easy.

Blk6bgg6
03-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Guys maybe it's possible we are showing our age..The new bike DCT,reverse,cruise,in dash navi,and 85lb. Lighter and we still bitchin.No I'm not running out and buying one just yet but only 6 months ago their was skepticism we would see a new wing..Yes it's not perfect but it's damn nice,as for the engine not sure how much testing on the bikes but I know car engines incredible impressive testing..The paint is big improvement of course that was easy to upgrade .One thing for sure gonna let em depreciate as many of us learned with our f6bs which have been under a ted unjustly.

druggr
03-06-2018, 03:53 AM
He lost me with all his *itchin !!!

ths61
03-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Here is the video review that I mentioned in the earlier post that identified the engine drone (@ timecode 8:40).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHN3iQ6BZo

Texas TC
03-09-2018, 03:39 PM
I finally rode the new DCT 2018 Wing today. The technology and automatic transmission is awesome. However, I told the dealer I loved the transmission and tech improvements but hated riding the motorcycle. My F6B has a Mustang seat and it is very comfortable sitting me down in the frame of the bike. I felt like I was sitting on top of the new Wing and did not care for that position. It reminds me of a former BMW I owned and did not like. I am sure aftermarket seats will soon be available but, for now, I will stay with my comfortable and reliable old 2013 F6B. We It has over 41,000 great miles and many more to go. As far as the mentioned drone, I was more sensitive to the clicking the transmission made going through the gears. I guess I was expecting it to be more seamless.

Headpeon
03-14-2018, 06:29 PM
I personally have not noticed the "drone" people are talking about but maybe it's because I wear ear plugs when I ride. Also, I don't think the pipes are loud at all. JMO.

willtill
03-14-2018, 08:35 PM
I personally have not noticed the "drone" people are talking about but maybe it's because I wear ear plugs when I ride. Also, I don't think the pipes are loud at all. JMO.

That would be why.