PDA

View Full Version : Clean, Polish and Wax

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
I know many of you have issues with the F6B's finish. I take issue with it as well as it does seem to show every little mark and seems to have lots of micro scratches when they came out of the crate.
I know lots of you say you would rather ride than clean your bike. I am the same but also can't not take care of something I worked hard to buy and am proud to own. To me it just rides better when it's clean and certainly gets more attention from those with an interest in bikes.
Today I took 2 hours and washed, polished and waxed the bike.
Using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound after a thorough wash I was able to eliminate 99 % of the scratches in the finish. Some areas required a bit of work, particularly where I took the "Honda" off the fairing and where the sticker was on the fuel door. I also had a substantial blemish on the right saddlebag at the very back. It is now gone as well.
I then applied a light coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. I will apply another 2 coats of wax tonight when I get home from work. I pulled the bike out of the garage and have to say it looks great. It will look even deeper with another 2 coats of wax.
For day to day and post ride cleaning I am using a California Car Duster and Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray. The Detailer spray does an amazing job of removing bugs and leaves an easy, wipe on wipe off shine while the duster pulls all the dust off the finish leaving no scratches at all.

Just thoughts I would share my paint care experience and hope that some of you are able to have the same success with the products.

Beagle

chipmaker
05-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Did you compound by hand?

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Did you compound by hand?

Yes Sir!!! Ultimate Compund and Ultimate paste wax were both applied by hand using a sponge wax applicator pad and removed using cotton diapers. Buffing was done with a super plush microfibre buffing cloth.

chipmaker
05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Very good...

Darkknight
05-15-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm a nut case when it come to waxing and keeping my bikes clean. that's another reason I love this bike. My last bike had so much chrome, even a small puddle would have me polishing for a couple hours.:icon_frown:
This bike is a quick wipe and done.
I really like Zymol polish for a wet deep black look. My bike arrived unscathed and one micro scratch resulted in a replaced panel from Honda. Although sweetheart did put a nice scratch in a saddlebag with her cute little boots:icon_evil:

Now, about my tank, I'm still riding with chaps until weather warms up. I was seeing micro scratches from the leather chaps rubbing against the gas tank. I installed 3M paint protective film at those two locations. It was $20 for a 12X12 inch piece and I cut the two shapes myself, cutting round corners using a 1" socket as a pattern. This worked wonderful. It's almost invisible and can be remove if needed. I only wish I had used it where sweetie swings her boots over my saddlebags....

Retired Army
05-15-2013, 08:50 AM
I am a firm believer that a lot of the finish issues could have been prevented if Honda had put a couple of coats of clear on in the final step. I have not researched paint finishes but I think water based finishes are the thing of the future, possibly mandated by law under the guise of safety and environmental protection. I did put two coats of 3M glaze on my red bike and now can keep a fairly decent looking bike and still have time to ride it.

Alberta Beagle
05-15-2013, 09:19 AM
There is no doubt the finish is very soft and I would also agree that a clear coat would do alot to help the finish be more durable.
A good quality wax when maintained properly will go a long way to help minimize the small scratches. However, when you or a passenger go to get on the bike and hit a saddlebag you are definitely going to have to do some finesse polishing to correct the damage.
I am considering having a clear 3M installed on the rear deck, tops of the bags and the upper fairing. Once I have a good 4 coats of wax i will see how durable it becomes.
Black is a bugger to keep nice and I have to agree with most on here that Honda could of, and should have had a better finish on this bike.

Beagle

jorgebri60
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Not sure about the rest of you, but I've used pledge to clean all of my bikes for years.....it works well on the finish as well as the windscreens. I use it on my plane as well so I know it won't harm anything. It's a good way to keep the deep lustre of the paint between washes and it even works well on chrome.....plus you get a nice lemony smell :icon_biggrin:

chipmaker
05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
If I get the hazy scratches out, I may get some of the new spray on clear film, especially for the saddle bag lids.

Retired Army
05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I am a firm believer that a lot of the finish issues could have been prevented if Honda had put a couple of coats of clear on in the final step. I have not researched paint finishes but I think water based finishes are the thing of the future, possibly mandated by law under the guise of safety and environmental protection. I did put two coats of 3M glaze on my red bike and now can keep a fairly decent looking bike and still have time to ride it.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-the-different-types-of-auto-paint.htm#slideshow

This site might shed some light on finishes.

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-17-2013, 01:04 AM
California Car Duster

AB- i agree, it works great for removing dust. Have you found that it leaves, in a few places, a little chemical residue behind? Quick detail spray removes these easily.

Alberta Beagle
05-17-2013, 05:48 AM
AB- i agree, it works great for removing dust. Have you found that it leaves, in a few places, a little chemical residue behind? Quick detail spray removes these easily.

The residue dissipates as the duster gets older but initially it may. I do the same and use quick Detailer after dusting.

Texas TC
05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Not sure about the rest of you, but I've used pledge to clean all of my bikes for years.....it works well on the finish as well as the windscreens. I use it on my plane as well so I know it won't harm anything. It's a good way to keep the deep lustre of the paint between washes and it even works well on chrome.....plus you get a nice lemony smell :icon_biggrin:

That is my practice also. I just have not had that much trouble with scratches on my red F6B. I have only washed it once in 3850 miles but keep it prestine with Pledge, water only so far on the flat black panels.

Buckeye
05-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I’m just curious - does this same problem exist on the Goldwing touring models? Did Honda use a different paint process?

chipmaker
05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I’m just curious - does this same problem exist on the Goldwing touring models? Did Honda use a different paint process?
No, yes. At least that's what Honda told me.

Buckeye
05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Has Honda officially acknowledged this problem? I would think that given their reputation for quality Honda would want to remedy this as quickly as possible.

chipmaker
05-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Has Honda officially acknowledged this problem? I would think that given their reputation for quality Honda would want to remedy this as quickly as possible.

Not really, they are looking into it. Maybe.

thunder217
05-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I have owned many black vehicles is my life and the one product that I started useing years ago was a product by a company in California called production. The item that I use is the Anti-Static Showroom conditioner. It's not a wax or a polish, not sure what it is. You spray on and wipe off and flip the cloth and the shine and protection is superb. Better than any of the instant detailers on the market. It can only be purchased on line from Production. I have a 1997 truck that i used it on and today it still looks great. I now use it on the F6B and when its slightly dirty a few squirts and i'm ready to go. Yes, I am crazy about a clean bike also. I only use products that I have tried and that I know work. If you get a chance it's worth it for the black bike. :bowdown:

jakec
05-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Beagle, I tried your system and it works very well. Thanks
Jakec

Alberta Beagle
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Beagle, I tried your system and it works very well. Thanks
Jakec

Happy to hear it worked for for you Jake!!!
It takes a bit of time but once you have a few coats of wax on it it really isn't hard to maintain a good finish.
I am on coat five of wax now and it keeps getting a deeper shine with every coat. Some may not want to invest the time in all the waxing but its nbeen raining here for most of the week so it's a great time to spend some alone time in the garage making the F6B shine!!!