PDA

View Full Version : Random non riders

broncsrule21
03-08-2018, 03:23 PM
I hate when non “bike” people try to talk motorcycles with me. I stopped in to a fast food joint on my way to work today and some guy wants to have a conversation. It went something like this..

Him: that’s a nice bike.. what kind is it?
Me: It’s a Goldwing ( I didn’t want to explain the F6B thing)

Him: I had a CBR 750. It got stolen out of my front yard recently. My wife said I can’t get another.

Find it hard to believe he had a Late 80s Hurricane that somebody just had to have. Oh well, people are strange.

VaBob
03-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Yea, I find it difficult to explain the f6b thing also, so I just say its a goldwing and watch them take a second look.

I guess that conversation is similar in the way that older generations remember riding the original bike. Some people see me on my triumph and remember back when they had their right side shift brit bike. Or someone asks about my goldwing and remembers their '78 naked goldwing.

But maybe your convo was the opposite, and its just someone hoping your "cool" factor will waft over and help him be cooler.

Hard to tell.

olegoat345
03-08-2018, 07:55 PM
A guy walked around my bike, looked at me & said, "nice Harley." == Me, 'That's no Harley, it's a Honda." == Him, "when did they start making them that big?" == Me, "about 50 years ago." I then walked away.

six2go
03-08-2018, 09:56 PM
And then there's the guy who says, "I used to ride a '41 Indian but I had to lay it down to keep from gettin' run over by a '29 Packard. Too scared to ride after that."

Frye
03-09-2018, 12:24 AM
I was at a car wash cleaning up the Valk years ago. I saw a little boy, maybe 6 years old staring at the Valk with the same wide-eyed expression I remember wearing at that age when looking at motorcycles while his Mom washed her car. Have to admit, it made me feel good, Valks are beautiful bikes. The sun was out, I was on top of the world. Then I hear the little boy say to his Mom "do you see that old man's motorcycle"? Then she replies in a hushed reverent tone, yes, it's a Harley.

I started the day as a middle-aged guy riding a bad-ass 6 cylinder motorcycle and finished it as an old man on a Harley. Sigh......

ths61
03-09-2018, 01:12 AM
I was at a car wash cleaning up the Valk years ago. I saw a little boy, maybe 6 years old staring at the Valk with the same wide-eyed expression I remember wearing at that age when looking at motorcycles while his Mom washed her car. Have to admit, it made me feel good, Valks are beautiful bikes. The sun was out, I was on top of the world. Then I hear the little boy say to his Mom "do you see that old man's motorcycle"? Then she replies in a hushed reverent tone, yes, it's a Harley.

I started the day as a middle-aged guy riding a bad-ass 6 cylinder motorcycle and finished it as an old man on a Harley. Sigh......

LOL, funny story.

Felloverboard
03-09-2018, 10:08 AM
And who here hasn't walked around a corvette, viper, Camaro, mustang... and thought that looks nice. Glad I have a bike that others admire even if they don't know all about it.

DTOM
03-09-2018, 11:19 AM
I hear ya...and I love looking at other motorcycles. It's fun to watch people stop and stare. My strangest interaction was when some dude said, "oh, is that a Mongoose?" I didn't even know how to respond...so I laughed. Sure, the F6B can be difficult to identify, but I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like a BMX bicycle.

Felloverboard
03-09-2018, 04:10 PM
I hear ya...and I love looking at other motorcycles. It's fun to watch people stop and stare. My strangest interaction was when some dude said, "oh, is that a Mongoose?" I didn't even know how to respond...so I laughed. Sure, the F6B can be difficult to identify, but I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like a BMX bicycle.

Sounds good... Now I know what to name my bike.... I need some Mongoose stickers.
Or I could put some Harley sticker on the bag covers so others would not be confused.

VStarRider
03-09-2018, 04:45 PM
I have been a motorcyclist for only 8 years (I am 42 y/o). However, my father has ridden for decades so I have been around bikes (not BMX) since I came out of the womb.

Coming to the game late, I brought a mature mind and astute observation (my wife is laughing over my shoulder) into riding motorcycles. Here are some random observations:

1. To non-riders, unless it is a crotch rocket or a BMW, it is a Harley.

2. Many are stunned that a bike as big as the F6B is even rideable. They don't believe me when I tell them it is the easiest motorcycle to ride that I have ever been on.

3. People are shocked to see the tech on my 2013 F6B, even though it dates back to the late 90s in terms of its innovation. I assume they are referring to all of the buttons on the fairing.

4. "I would never ride a motorcycle. Its not that I am worried about myself, it is the other drivers that scare me." -most common quote

5. Are you cold riding that thing? (this is on a 50 F day)

Blk6bgg6
03-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Man all of you guys are correct,was at a bike night guy is looking at somebody else f6b he tells me ,don't that look like a weird shark.I had to set him straight bout what a great bike they are..Then I had a Harley guy describing my bike to someone as the motorcycle with a bunch of letters and numbers. We do have a unique bike no one understands and I love the mystique

soupbean
03-10-2018, 09:31 AM
On a little different note.. a couple years ago was at Iron Pony here in Ohio on a Saturday morning with the rims from my VFR in one of their shopping carts, I was standing in line with about ten people also waiting to drop off wheels to get new tires. The guy in front of me looks down at my rims and says “ gotcha a BMW huh..” I tell him , no is a Honda.
His eyebrows turn down and he looks at me in disbelief and says “ when did Honda start doing the single sided swingarm thing ? “ I told him, it’s been a while now.... , he says “ I’ve never trusted that setup..

grendl
03-11-2018, 01:44 PM
I ride with a few guys that have the big Harleys.Invariably someone will walk over check the bikes out and stop at my F6.Conversation starts and generally includes the 'what is that' question goes on to how beautiful or unique or some other compliment the bike is.Often they ignore the HDs parked beside it. I just thank them for the compliment and try not to gloat over the nice things said and the attention I get..all good !

InvictusF6B
03-11-2018, 02:50 PM
I have been a motorcyclist for only 8 years (I am 42 y/o). However, my father has ridden for decades so I have been around bikes (not BMX) since I came out of the womb.

Coming to the game late, I brought a mature mind and astute observation (my wife is laughing over my shoulder) into riding motorcycles. Here are some random observations:

1. To non-riders, unless it is a crotch rocket or a BMW, it is a Harley.

2. Many are stunned that a bike as big as the F6B is even rideable. They don't believe me when I tell them it is the easiest motorcycle to ride that I have ever been on.

3. People are shocked to see the tech on my 2013 F6B, even though it dates back to the late 90s in terms of its innovation. I assume they are referring to all of the buttons on the fairing.

4. "I would never ride a motorcycle. Its not that I am worried about myself, it is the other drivers that scare me." -most common quote

5. Are you cold riding that thing? (this is on a 50 F day)

Amen... I more commonly get "Id get a bike but, (I'm such a bad ass or I'm so ballsy) Id kill myself. I don't know whether to applaud their decision or tell them they're an idiot lol.

Retired Army
03-11-2018, 05:27 PM
People keep asking me is that yours? My reply is, "it belongs to me and Nancy, Financy that is,"

VStarRider
03-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Amen... I more commonly get "Id get a bike but, (I'm such a bad ass or I'm so ballsy) Id kill myself. I don't know whether to applaud their decision or tell them they're an idiot lol.

I have heard that one a couple of times myself.

Ever hear the non-rider fantasize about getting an ape-hanger equipped "Chopper", and talk about how awesome that would be? Meanwhile, I am thinking "this guy would be lucky to make it to the end of his driveway if he were to ever get one".

Navvet
03-12-2018, 09:51 PM
I like going through drive thru's for a cup of coffee ... It confuses the people inside.

They inevitable ask "how can you drink coffee while riding a motorcycle ? "

My answer is always" Simple, I put down my pipe and pick up the coffee cup"
:icon_doh: :icon_doh:

DaWadd
03-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Had a fellow come beside me at a red light and asked how I enjoyed my Victory. I just laughed and took off at the green light.:039:

opas ride
03-13-2018, 10:11 AM
A while back I had my Victory Vision Tour setting in the driveway when the UPS guy came to drop off a package. He looked over the bike very carefully and was awed by all the "whistles and bells". I showed him the cruise, the adjustable shield, heated seats, grips, radio, etc.,etc. and then he saw the speaker grills on the fairing and asked what they were..I replied, that is the "air conditioning"...He looked for a minute and said "No Shit", I've never seen that before and walked away talking to himself!!!