PDA

View Full Version : Do you 'lock it up'... on overnight tour stops?

papabruce
03-13-2018, 06:02 PM
I've never put on a security lock on any previous bike I've owned. but the F6B is a bigger investment.

So... do you lock up your bike? and if so...how?

thanks

willtill
03-13-2018, 06:46 PM
No.

I don't even lock the handlebars.

Az Wingrider
03-13-2018, 07:01 PM
When traveling, on overnight stops I lock the ignition and the forks and then I put a half cover on the bike. The half cover doesn't really add any security but it keeps everything on the top part of the bike out of sight. I also make an effort to park the bike in a well lighted area and if in a motel where it can be seen by the desk clerk if possible. Maybe I have just been lucky but I have never had anyone disturb my bike while parked. I have come out to find the bike on its side because a careless driver bumped it but that i am sure was accidental.

I think you should do what makes you comfortable but shady people seem to have lost interest in motorcycles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Az Wingrider

F6Bster
03-13-2018, 07:06 PM
I always lock my forks and the bags. Remove the GPS and anything that might get attention. Many years ago I used a half cover on my 1800 Wing but gave that up after one trip back east. Rain makes for a wet cover and then you got to do something with it. So, about 130k miles on the Wing and never had any problems with anyone messing with the bike (knock on wood). I do have a Gorilla alarm (cheap version without the remote alert on the fob) and I set it at night at the hotel/motel. Just a little extra something that makes me feel better. Had one on my Wing also.

Switchmonkey
03-13-2018, 08:19 PM
I always get a ground floor room and drive it in!

jeffedose
03-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Never lock mine or the bags here in Colorado or anywhere I have left it at the motels not sure if anyone can even figure out the bag latches unless they are a winger....and wings are not high on the theft list. Lol.

2wheelsforme
03-14-2018, 07:43 AM
I worry more about intentional damage, empting my storage or removing my do dads but not the theft of the bike. Never have used the fork locks on any bike. Besides bike gone equals new bike, who hoo!

3Chief
03-14-2018, 08:03 AM
I lock the forks and the bags generally. In all actuality in 20+ years of riding I've only had my bags messed with once and that was at work. There's always the occasional mystery ding but actual messed with only once.

crossbowme
03-14-2018, 01:07 PM
I park it under the security light, remove everything and then keep my fingers crossed. I try not to obsess over it after a friend of mine had his bike stolen. Security camera showed that some guys in a wrecker just picked it up and drove away.

olegoat345
03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Lots of motels will let you park right outside the entrance, as long as others can come & go, why not..

Heatnbeat
03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
I stayed in the worst rathole I've ever stayed in. When I checked in the owner told me he had cameras all around and ran a tight ship as far as security(house cleaning not so much😧) "No hookers, no drug dealers, no thieves". I lost my headlights that night when I went to dinner. I came back from dinner and 5 minutes after I started working on the bike he was out there wanting to know who I was and what I was doing. After he found out he even loaned me tools. I had no worries about the bike that night but I still wouldn't sleep there again.

willtill
03-14-2018, 08:37 PM
I stayed in the worst rathole I've ever stayed in. When I checked in the owner told me he had cameras all around and ran a tight ship as far as security(house cleaning not so much��) "No hookers, no drug dealers, no thieves". I lost my headlights that night when I went to dinner. I came back from dinner and 5 minutes after I started working on the bike he was out there wanting to know who I was and what I was doing. After he found out he even loaned me tools. I had no worries about the bike that night but I still wouldn't sleep there again.

You get what you pay for. For sure. Been there, done that.

Ewreck
03-15-2018, 07:47 AM
No. It's why God created insurance. The only time I lock it up is when I ride it to Mass.

2wheelsforme
03-15-2018, 08:27 AM
No. It's why God created insurance. The only time I lock it up is when I ride it to Mass.

Funny! Had to say more cause it said just (Funny!) was too short a message.

ReserveBum
03-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Good Topic....I am with the majority as I may lock the forks and try to park in front when at hotels. Been lucky never to have had an issue but have heard horror stories where trips were ruined. Bought and used a disk lock when I had my Triumph Adventurer, but never used it on the F6B. I know, crazy, right?....using it on a $6k bike but not on the $18k one.

papabruce
03-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Was looking at a wheel lock. But not sure if it would fit

salesman said. “Nobody steals gold wings”!!!!

Sorcerer
03-15-2018, 09:47 AM
At motels I pull the gas cap and cubby keys, lock the fork, cover the bike. The cover keeps the parents from plunking their kids on the bike for a photo shot. Kids don’t know not to drag their feet across the paint work. Neither does the guys wife/girlfriend.

OlyF6B
03-15-2018, 12:12 PM
Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted.

2wheelsforme
03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
While the most common stolen brand bike is a Honda less than 1% of all stolen bikes are touring bikes. Scooters, dirt and sport bikes rule the list by far.

Heatnbeat
03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
If one cared to they could make up a simple alarm. A switch ( either mercury or mechanical) that will sound the horn if the bike is righted from it's sidestand position. Simple, cheap and reasonably effective.

3Chief
03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted.

I few years back I heard of a group that ran around with a modified minivan. They had welded in some type of support to enable them to cut out the rear axle an they would either open the hatch and back over your bike or roll it in. They had a electric hoist inside and just thru a strap around the bike and picked it up. The reality is if someone really wants it they will get it.

Ewreck
03-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Ya, that ten letter minimum has got to go.

DarkKnt
03-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted. Bolt cutters are a little "old school". Any bike thief worth his salt now, uses a cordless angle grinder with a cut - off wheel. Just saw a comparison of the top disk locks, and the best one only lasted a couple of minutes... the average was under a minute, iirc. I would like to know just how strong the fork lock is on the F6B. That seems about the best deterrent to me, if it is strong enough?

willtill
03-23-2018, 06:01 AM
Bolt cutters are a little "old school". Any bike thief worth his salt now, uses a cordless angle grinder with a cut - off wheel. Just saw a comparison of the top disk locks, and the best one only lasted a couple of minutes... the average was under a minute, iirc. I would like to know just how strong the fork lock is on the F6B. That seems about the best deterrent to me, if it is strong enough?

I've seen video's of thieves sitting on a bike and kicking the handlebar hard; to break the steering lock mechanism. Not sure if it could be done with our F6B's

ths61
03-23-2018, 12:38 PM
I always lock the handlebars to deter someone from moving it. I also use a lightweight rain cover to keep the debris and eyes off of it. I have a stuff sack for the cover so there is no problem storing it if it gets wet. I very seldom use a cable or disk lock.

grendl
03-28-2018, 06:50 PM
I have used the fork lock a couple times just paranoid more than anything for where I was. Unplanned stops where conditions stated next lodging ,I dont care what it is.
Given the choice though I park at my room window or where the front office is.Considered a disk lock and read a story where the guy forgot to unlock it before taking off. The damage was crippling. Then I have a buddy at work where someone hit his bike with the disk lock on the front wheel. What could have been a tip over turned into massive front end damage.
Do what makes you comfortable,my plan B for that is I have enough to get home and insurance....and a really f***ed up attitude if I see someone trying to take my precious