PDA

View Full Version : Non-F6B Owners Advice Disclaimer

billphoenix
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
These type of forums are usually very helpful to exchange information and tips, but it would be nice if those who only have experience with the Standard Goldwing, or the ST 1300, or some other bike would say so.

Giving advice that you don't know "for sure" applies to F6B is not helpful.

I was told by a member, don't remember who since the crash wiped the records out, that the Cobra Tri Oval Pipes fit the F6B and he "loved them", but they were too short and didn't clear the bags.

Now was he lying? In that case you can't prevent liars.
Or was he posing as a F6B Owner,
or does he like the droning sound and extra heat from too short pipes?

Whatever the case I'm out $500 for trusting a HondaF6B Forum Member.

I also see many postings like "should fit" or "do this, do that", and not even mentioning that they don't have a F6B, or that they haven't actually tried what they are saying.

Advice is appreciated, and I try to return the favor and post help myself, but just because you own/have owned a Goldwing doesn't mean all of your advice will apply to the F6B. The same for any other bike.

If you are a HondaF6B member it would imply that you have the bike and are trying what you are recommending.

Maybe a disclaimer saying "I don't have a F6B' or "this is just my opinion I've never done it on a F6B" would help.

Billy
Phoenix,AZ

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 04:06 PM
These type of forums are usually very helpful to exchange information and tips, but it would be nice if those who only have experience with the Standard Goldwing, or the ST 1300, or some other bike would say so.

Giving advice that you don't know "for sure" applies to F6B is not helpful.

I was told by a member, don't remember who since the crash wiped the records out, that the Cobra Tri Oval Pipes fit the F6B and he "loved them", but they were too short and didn't clear the bags.

Now was he lying? In that case you can't prevent liars.
Or was he posing as a F6B Owner,
or does he like the droning sound and extra heat from too short pipes?

Whatever the case I'm out $500 for trusting a HondaF6B Forum Member.

I also see many postings like "should fit" or "do this, do that", and not even mentioning that they don't have a F6B, or that they haven't actually tried what they are saying.

Advice is appreciated, and I try to return the favor and post help myself, but just because you own/have owned a Goldwing doesn't mean all of your advice will apply to the F6B. The same for any other bike.

If you are a HondaF6B member it would imply that you have the bike and are trying what you are recommending.

Maybe a disclaimer saying "I don't have a F6B' or "this is just my opinion I've never done it on a F6B" would help.

Billy
Phoenix,AZ

Bill,

I am the one who posted about having the Cobra Tri Ovals on MY F6B. The post also included a photo of them on MY bike showing that they clearly did not make it past the end of the bags. As far as a drone, I don't notice any drone and went as far as to have a friend ride behind me the other night to listen and he also said he could hear no drone while riding right behind me. As far as extra heat, there is none. A Standard Goldwings pipes do not clear the rear of the saddlebags either so the myth of extra heat is a load of BS. I came back from a 400 km ride the other night and the area above the tri ovals was no warmer than the rest of the bike. They look great "to me" and the sound good " to me". That is exactly what I posted in the thread.
Don't post looking to blame someone because you bought something and don't like it. I posted the information and remember the thread as clearly as the day I posted.
Sorry you don't like your pipes but its no ones fault but your own. Sounds like you tried them for a whole day.
Put them up for sale online and you will surely get most of your money back.
There are many on here that have bought windshields, throttle locks and other accessories and decided it wasn't for them.
You are the first to try to blame someone else for it!!!!

Here are the pics of MY EXHAUST, ON MY F6B in MY GARAGE!!!!

Beagle

Steve 0080
05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Just a note to this...IMHO if you let you bike idle for any lengh of time, It has to have heat build up under the saddle bags...just sayin...

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Just a note to this...IMHO if you let you bike idle for any lengh of time, It has to have heat build up under the saddle bags...just sayin...

It doesn't matter what exhaust you have on the bike it will have heat build up if you idle. Traffic light are usually no more than 2 minutes and as stated there have been no more heat issues than with the stock exhaust, so in other words, I have no issues with heat.

I don't know many riders who park and let their bikes just idle. :icon_wink:

billphoenix
05-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Bill,

I am the one who posted about having the Cobra Tri Ovals on MY F6B. The post also included a photo of them on MY bike showing that they clearly did not make it past the end of the bags. As far as a drone, I don't notice any drone and went as far as to have a friend ride behind me the other night to listen and he also said he could hear no drone while riding right behind me. As far as extra heat, there is none. A Standard Goldwings pipes do not clear the rear of the saddlebags either so the myth of extra heat is a load of BS. I came back from a 400 km ride the other night and the area above the tri ovals was no warmer than the rest of the bike. They look great "to me" and the sound good " to me". That is exactly what I posted in the thread.
Don't post looking to blame someone because you bought something and don't like it. I posted the information and remember the thread as clearly as the day I posted.
Sorry you don't like your pipes but its no ones fault but your own. Sounds like you tried them for a whole day.
Put them up for sale online and you will surely get most of your money back.
There are many on here that have bought windshields, throttle locks and other accessories and decided it wasn't for them.
You are the first to try to blame someone else for it!!!!

Here are the pics of MY EXHAUST, ON MY F6B in MY GARAGE!!!!

Beagle

You're getting me all wrong man (don't know you're real name Beagle). It wasn't just your telling me, it is many posts of other people that haven't even installed what they are talking about on a F6B, and don't really know if their advice etc. is applicable.

I liked the Cobra pipes allot.
I didn't catch that the Cobra pipes were short in the picture. I wish you had mentioned that, but it isn't your fault.

"Deciding it wasn't for them" isn't the issue so COOL DOWN!

If your preference is to have your pipes end under your bags and you've done that with other bikes - cool, shame on me.
But if you knew something wasn't right and you said nothing but will live with and like it anyway, then didn't mention this, it would be suspect.

Since you did post pictures you did attempt to show they didn't fit like the OEM ones - I just wished you would have mentioned it, because some of us miss the details - you assumed the experience, and espertise, and assured me you loved them. Still - my fault.
BTW I always describe my pictures and show arrows to help those who may miss something - you let the pics speak and said nothing - OK, I believe you.

I disagree with you about the heat and the loud whine, drone, of the engine. They are 3" shorter than our OEM pipes which puts the exhaust gases and heat right under the rear of the bags.This part above the pipes has a hollow chamber that echo's all this up into the bike - that's why most bike exhausts go past the bags. BY "past" or "clear" I mean "clears the end of the bag".

I have since noticed on Ebay and retail sites that they are all saying 2013 after market Goldwing pipes will fit the F6B, and they show pictures of the pipes not clearing the bags. That's not a "Fit", so all of us BEWARE.

I honestly doubt if very many, other than you, would like their dual pipes underneath their bags.

I stand by my statement to most who are posting advice,
If you ain't done it,
You don't really have a F6B but you did the "advice" to another bike,
or doesn't fit, you made it fit, or you had some other problem,
let us know before we throw our money away on an opinion!

Alberta Beagle
05-14-2013, 10:15 PM
No worries Bill. They always say a picture is worth a thousand words. I do understand your point as it may pertain to certain posts.
I honestly do not have a drone so perhaps you have a bad baffle or something. Even doing a Google search yielded results that most all who have these pipes on a Wing are very satisfied.
We all have preferences.

All is good here bud.:icon_biggrin:

Len (Beagle)

Steve 0080
05-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Bill on this subject...I have purchased a lot of stuff for my F6 and had no issues posting if something would not fit, ( Küryakyn electric parts, and Cobra's were to short ) sadly when our server crashed we lost a lot of great information and until all members come back and we move forward things like this will happen...Having said all that ( WE ) should be aware of what we say and how we say it and if it will fit, as others are taking our word for it...

Gumby
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
It looks like this specific problem is working itself out, but in a general sense and in response to the OP...

I have moderated a very large vehicle specific forum for about 12 years and I can say with 100% certainty that while a forum is a good place for information ANYBODY CAN JOIN. Any advice should be verified. Buying things from people who must be good folks because they are on the forum will eventually lead to getting ripped off. Many of us will go to great lengths to preserve our forum reputation, but many don't care about their standing in our virtual community. They can just get another username and continue on.

Some of the best people I've ever met have been on forums, but being on a forum doesn't mean anything as to your expertise or moral code. Everything should be taken with some skepticism.

And it should go without saying that F6Phantom or Steve are in no way responsible for bad tech advise or poor business dealings with forum members.

billphoenix
05-15-2013, 04:42 PM
It looks like this specific problem is working itself out, but in a general sense and in response to the OP...

I have moderated a very large vehicle specific forum for about 12 years and I can say with 100% certainty that while a forum is a good place for information ANYBODY CAN JOIN. Any advice should be verified. Buying things from people who must be good folks because they are on the forum will eventually lead to getting ripped off. Many of us will go to great lengths to preserve our forum reputation, but many don't care about their standing in our virtual community. They can just get another username and continue on.

Some of the best people I've ever met have been on forums, but being on a forum doesn't mean anything as to your expertise or moral code. Everything should be taken with some skepticism.

And it should go without saying that F6Phantom or Steve are in no way responsible for bad tech advise or poor business dealings with forum members.

No one mentioned this forum or administrators being responsible for anything, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate "buyer beware".

I think the main problem is that the F6B is a brand new configuration bike and although it is based on a Goldwing, it is not the same in many respects.

For instance the bags are farther back and Goldwing Exhaust won't clear them...as already described.
I also let readers know of one brand of Headlight Modultor that wouldn't work on our bike, and one that did.

Many other things are different too - so advice is appreciated but like I said - if you haven't tried it on the F6B it may not work.

Once you have tried something and you are sure it works, please let everyone know, and we'll return the favor.

Alberta Beagle
05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
At the end of they day there are things that will work for some and not for others.
I for one, love my Cobra Tri Ovals. They fit the bike and yes they don't go past the end of the bags but that works for me. They don't work for Bill.
We are all ultimately responsible to research before buying anything. If we don't do our own due diligence we have to live with the result. I think pictures say a lot but if you don't take the time to look closely, well you just may end up with something different than you had hoped for.

Gumby
05-15-2013, 06:43 PM
No one mentioned it in this thread, but I have certainly heard dozens of posts where people blame the admins for bad deals, bad advice, flippers, bad groups buys, etc, etc. it feels good to be a part of a community, but you gotta keep in mind they will sell a bike to anyone. There's no application process.

Pedro66
05-15-2013, 06:48 PM
No one mentioned this forum or administrators being responsible for anything, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate "buyer beware".

I think the main problem is that the F6B is a brand new configuration bike and although it is based on a Goldwing, it is not the same in many respects.

For instance the bags are farther back and Goldwing Exhaust won't clear them...as already described.
I also let readers know of one brand of Headlight Modultor that wouldn't work on our bike, and one that did.

Many other things are different too - so advice is appreciated but like I said - if you haven't tried it on the F6B it may not work.

Once you have tried something and you are sure it works, please let everyone know, and we'll return the favor.

Just to correct you on one point the bags on the F6 are exactly the same as the bags on the 2012+ Wing the shorter pipes question is not exclusive to the F6, the bags on the 2001-2010 are shorter now when the new bike came out all it seems most most manufacturers did was to just confirm the mounts and the fit and not worry on the length and just change the fitment guide to say 2012+.

I have the Rush pipes on my bike while the length is not ideal its more a aesthetic issue than heat and noise issue for me as such

The 2012+ bike is longer in the body than the earlier bike as I found out when it would not fit on my Stinger trailer

pblair
05-15-2013, 07:17 PM
I have a couple of customers with Cobra slip-ons on their Wings one is a 2012, do not know the other year. The guy with the twelve said he removed the baffles and loves the sound but they reverberate in all his helmets except the shorty. The pipes look very short, not nearly long enough. Cobra needs to offer a tip that extends beyond the bag, like the stock. I don't know if that causes the reverb in the rider's helmet but seems to be a common thread.

Can anybody else add something. :)

BTW the sound without the baffles is very good, deep, mellow, not too loud.

Pedro66
05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I have a couple of customers with Cobra slip-ons on their Wings one is a 2012, do not know the other year. The guy with the twelve said he removed the baffles and loves the sound but they reverberate in all his helmets except the shorty. The pipes look very short, not nearly long enough. Cobra needs to offer a tip that extends beyond the bag, like the stock. I don't know if that causes the reverb in the rider's helmet but seems to be a common thread.

Can anybody else add something. :)

BTW the sound without the baffles is very good, deep, mellow, not too loud.

With my Rush pipes there is some reverb but not sure if its the pipes on the bags or just the way the pipes are, I did consider looking for some longer 4" tips but found nothing guess I could try to find someone with a lathe and get them to make some extensions and try it, that said I did ride without tips for a few days and there was not much difference (not sure what to do with that info)

Steve 0080
05-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I can not speak to the reverb as I extended my pipes ...as far as Cobra goes, I was told by the owner of a company that sells them that Cobra would not be extending their pipes...

billphoenix
05-16-2013, 12:44 AM
At the end of they day there are things that will work for some and not for others.
I for one, love my Cobra Tri Ovals. They fit the bike and yes they don't go past the end of the bags but that works for me. They don't work for Bill.
We are all ultimately responsible to research before buying anything. If we don't do our own due diligence we have to live with the result. I think pictures say a lot but if you don't take the time to look closely, well you just may end up with something different than you had hoped for.

Wow, you are showing that you knew they were not the same fit as the OEM so you included pictures BUT SAID NOTHING! And it's my fault for not catching it.

Only one of your pictures looks a little short and it's fuzzy, and the other is straight toward the back and you can't tell.

Your pictures were misleading and so is your intentions, or you wouldn't be so defensive.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, not anymore.

I'm at fault and you are dishonest - that's the facts, jack!

Have a great day.

Alberta Beagle
05-16-2013, 05:58 AM
'
Wow, you are showing that you knew they were not the same fit as the OEM so you included pictures BUT SAID NOTHING! And it's my fault for not catching it.

Only one of your pictures looks a little short and it's fuzzy, and the other is straight toward the back and you can't tell.

Your pictures were misleading and so is your intentions, or you wouldn't be so defensive.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, not anymore.

I'm at fault and you are dishonest - that's the facts, jack!

Have a great day.

Wow Bill for an adult you sure deflect personal responsibility like a child. I guess it's today's new standard. I posted a picture and shouldn't have to spell it out and put arrows. The pic speaks for itself. Do your research, as I did, then make your decision and accept responsibility for it bud.
The photos are crystal clear and certainly the first one shows the length of the pipes.
You are way offside here amigo.

chipmaker
05-16-2013, 06:43 AM
IBFTL.

http://www.troll.me/images/clint-eastwood/this-is-the-dumbest-most-frickin-ridiculous-post-i-think-i-have-ever-read-i-think-im-going-to-blow-my-brains-out-now-thumb.jpg

Phantom
05-16-2013, 08:33 AM
:bf8: KNOCK it OFF !!!!

I don't care for these types of posts, we are grown men. Use due diligence before every purchase. I was ready to purchase a F6B back in March from Honda of Russellville but held off due to the Paint issue. I decided to wait until there is a solution from Honda or I decide to have my F6B custom painted or clear coated before I take pocession. I have read about the different windshields and have decided to design and create my own. I am excersizing MY due diligence.

I have been biting my lip since this post started but now it is going towards the toilet. This website doesn't need this type of crap, asking members to be silent or not post about their experiences whether applicable or not to the F6B is OUT of Line in my opinion, take the advise given and come to your OWN conclusion.

We all make mistakes, sometimes they are expensive (that's the price of the lesson and that's life), you have to swallow your pride and admit that you screwed up. Trust me, I have paid for many lessons in my day, but NEVER placed the blame on others. I have shared my lessons/experiences with others so that they don't go through the same anguish that I did.

One size shoe does NOT fit everyone, that's why you have choices. I PERSONALLY do NOT see an issue with the pipes, they are one of three on my radar of choices for when I take delivery on my F6B.

I don't like deleting threads, but sometimes it is unavoidable and necessary to keep the harmony of a great website. Keep it positive and take advise with a grain of salt. Respect this website for what it is, a virtual home. KEEP the trash outside. USE the PM feature if you have a issue with someone and deal with them directly. Visit this website for a GOOD time nothing less.

I have been and continue to be on many websites and one thing that my friends will tell you about me is that I don't tolerate Cry-babies, Quitters, Barney Fife's, Connivers, Liars, Thieves or Pussies. I put on my Big Boy panties when I come to these sites and prepare to have an ADULT dialogue (with a little bit of ribbing at times), for those of you that need a pair, Wal-Mart has a sale going on right now .... 3 for $6.00

:banghead:

F6BEAST
05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Phantom6B, I couldn't have said it better myself!
I have two things two add:
I heard from Cobra that they have a setup for the F6B that should be available sometime in June or July.
Second, Phantom 6B, let me know how your windshield mod is progressing, I may hold off purchasing a new one until I see what you have working. Let me know if you need a bike to test it on. When do you think you'll have something ready?

F6BEAST
JOHN

erazor55
05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
FYI - I installed my Cobra Tri-Ovals last night. They fit exactly as I expected they would based on photos posted here (thanks Beagle). They sound excellent at idle, and to my surprise, I can barely hear them while driving (no helmet :shock:). As I've been experiencing a "hesitation", actually more of a dead spot between 2-2.5k RPM when not fully warmed up, I thought I'd do the ECM reset after they were installed. It took 15 minutes of idling in place (ambient temp ~80F) for the fans to kick on and off. The bags were not hot, barely warm.

I just thought I'd offer my observations regarding the Tri-Ovals.

Phantom
05-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Phantom6B, I couldn't have said it better myself!
I have two things two add:
I heard from Cobra that they have a setup for the F6B that should be available sometime in June or July.
Second, Phantom 6B, let me know how your windshield mod is progressing, I may hold off purchasing a new one until I see what you have working. Let me know if you need a bike to test it on. When do you think you'll have something ready?

F6BEAST
JOHN

Beast,
I have 3 different prototypes, 2 have already been tested on a F6B with excellent results, as soon as the final testing on the end design is complete, I will post images. The purpose of my designs is 2 fold .... to keep the "Cool" factor by making the shield short and the rider continues to look over it while the wind is deflected over and around him. The 2 tested prototypes still allowed the rider to hear the radio at 70mph while still looking over them. The wind barely touched the top of his helmet. Patience, I am very particular of what I fabricate or have made for me. It will take a little bit of time.

This is the Set-up to be released in June or July by COBRA

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?42-Cruiser-Customizing-and-COBRA-Exhaust

Steve 0080
05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Beast, Welcome....if you have not ridden a F6B give me a call...we can meet up and you can ride mine.....

Alberta Beagle
05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
FYI - I installed my Cobra Tri-Ovals last night. They fit exactly as I expected they would based on photos posted here (thanks Beagle). They sound excellent at idle, and to my surprise, I can barely hear them while driving (no helmet :shock:). As I've been experiencing a "hesitation", actually more of a dead spot between 2-2.5k RPM when not fully warmed up, I thought I'd do the ECM reset after they were installed. It took 15 minutes of idling in place (ambient temp ~80F) for the fans to kick on and off. The bags were not hot, barely warm.

I just thought I'd offer my observations regarding the Tri-Ovals.

That's great news and has indeed been my experience with the Tri Ovals as well!!!! My opinion is they look great on the bike and I have had many compliments. Enjoy them bud!!!

Beagle:icon_biggrin:

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-17-2013, 12:47 AM
reverb in the rider's helmet

Another reason to keep the stock mufflers.

F6BEAST
05-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Beast, Welcome....if you have not ridden a F6B give me a call...we can meet up and you can ride mine.....

Steve - thanks for the offer, I got mine a couple of days ago and I have about 500 miles on her. If you still have my number give me a call and maybe we can set something up for a ride and lunch, I do have a ton of questions for you.

Steve 0080
05-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Plan on Sun lunch in Daytona or futher North ...I will call