PDA

View Full Version : Re-designed Mustang Seat Shipping out 11/13

kjelders
11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Just received notice this morning that the new re-designed Mustang seat will start shipping out next Wednesday, 11/13.

F6BPDX
11-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Wow, that was quick. Good service for sure.

Scotrod
11-08-2013, 01:26 PM
You know, none of this would have happened if you didn't sell your other seat so quickly. :duck:

(I assume/hope you have something else to use in the meantime.)

kjelders
11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
You know, none of this would have happened if you didn't sell your other seat so quickly. :duck:

(I assume/hope you have something else to use in the meantime.)

Confucius said..."One must not sell and ship bike part that would keep one off the streets until new part is perfect and in place"

LOL....ah...I still have the seat until I'm get the newer Mustang seat!

Scotrod
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Confucius said..."One must not sell and ship bike part that would keep one off the streets until new part is perfect and in place"

LOL....ah...I still have the seat until I'm get the newer Mustang seat!

GOOD DEAL!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I'd probably not be quite so smart!!! :banghead:

(My luck runs that way all the time, so you think I'd learn by now!!!!) :icon_doh:

kjelders
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
The "re-designed" seat arrives today. I will pick it up after work this afternoon. I will post my results on how it installs with pics as well.

kjelders
11-15-2013, 08:12 PM
The seat is on! It wasn't an easy to install the first time. I'm sure a couple more tries and it will. The front fits nice against the top shelter with no gap. I'll post some pictures later. It will be awhile before I can put some miles on it. Cold rain with possible snow for the next week.

Mustangjake
11-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Call miles he's like the honey badger he don't care .
Miles this is all in fun!

http://youtu.be/rR4UaLLaFeM

jakec
11-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Kjelders, will the side panels come off with the seat on? Thanks
Jakec

kjelders
11-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Kjelders, will the side panels come off with the seat on? Thanks
Jakec

Yes, you can remove both side covers with the seat on.

This is the Mustang F6B Deluxe seat

3062 3063

Phantom
11-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes, you can remove both side covers with the seat on.

This is the Mustang F6B Deluxe seat

3062 3063

:Saweeet smilie:

Memphian
11-16-2013, 01:25 PM
KJ
What part of the seat was redesigned?

kjelders
11-16-2013, 01:46 PM
The front of the pan mold was changed so that flange would fit further up and cover the gap at the top and sides shelter. The rear seat bolt brackets were removed from the seat pan.

With these changes, the seat now slides further forward and it is easier to line up the side bolts and saddlebag latches with the hand rails.

Mustangs lead engineer called me today and we discussed the seat. He told me they would be producing a installation video slated to shoot on Monday.

Memphian
11-16-2013, 03:25 PM
The front of the pan mold was changed so that flange would fit further up and cover the gap at the top and sides shelter. The rear seat bolt brackets were removed from the seat pan.

With these changes, the seat now slides further forward and it is easier to line up the side bolts and saddlebag latches with the hand rails.

Mustangs lead engineer called me today and we discussed the seat. He told me they would be producing a installation video slated to shoot on Monday.

Thanks KJ, I had a Mustang Seat on my VTX and loved it and it looks comfortable too.

Steve 0080
11-16-2013, 03:42 PM
If anyone knows where that seat can be seen in central Fl ...please post the location!

jakec
11-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks Kjelders, nice looking seat and it sounds like Mustang treated you right.
Jakec

Scotrod
11-16-2013, 11:22 PM
. The rear seat bolt brackets were removed from the seat pan.

Doesn't take much to stump me, but I assume we are talking about the cross-bracket that attaches to the underneath side of the OEM seat, and then to the very back of the bike,,, out by the tail end of the pillion?

Or, the rear (2) of the (4) main seat bolts?

I'm corn-fused,,,

bobbyf6b
11-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Can we get a matching backrest pad?

kjelders
11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Doesn't take much to stump me, but I assume we are talking about the cross-bracket that attaches to the underneath side of the OEM seat, and then to the very back of the bike,,, out by the tail end of the pillion?

Or, the rear (2) of the (4) main seat bolts?

I'm corn-fused,,,

The cross bracket mount that was on the OEM and on the first Mustang Seat it was a bracket bar on each side that mounts to the body of the bike. Those two bars/mount are not there on the redesigned seat.

kjelders
11-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Can we get a matching backrest pad?

Are you talking about a driver's backrest or the passenger backrest? The Mustang seat is designed so as not needing a driver's backrest. As far as the passenger backrest, it you want the cover to match I would find someone local to recover it to match.

Presently, my stock passenger backrest matches the Mustang seat fairly well as it was recovered when I had the custom Rich's Seat. However, I bought a Utopia F6B backrest and hondabikepro is making a bracket so I can use it for a replacement for the passenger backrest. My wife feels she needs a larger surface area backrest that is both adjustable up and down and forward and back. Those adjustments are built in to the Utopia backrest designed already. I will have it recovered to match the Mustang seat cover. This should make a great passenger backrest.

bobbyf6b
11-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Passenger backrest. I couldn't get the Mustang site to work last night. I'll try again today.

bobbyf6b
11-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Nope, still won't respond.

kjelders
11-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Finally, I was able to ride the bike with the redesigned Mustang Seat. I definitely like the lower position. I would say it lowered the seating position about 3/4". The built in lower lumbar support is perfect for me. No need for a backrest and that was the plan. I only was able to do a little over 100 miles, but I don't foresee any issue doing 600+ miles in a day with this seat.

Mustangjake
11-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Cool glad it's working out for you now.
I am wanting to get 1 but Ultimate is coming out with there seat in a few days.
(Per email I received today)
I was going to ride and meet Steve-0080 and we were going to check it out.

98valk
11-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey All,
That Mustang seat looks great and is real tempting. I am concerned that it sits back too far, though.

Would someone who has one of these seats measure the distance from the crease in the seat to the bottom of the gas cap panel? The stock seat measures 19.5", for instance.

Thanks!

NCF6B
11-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Great posts. The Mustang seat is on my list after Christmas. I have a Utopia drivers backrest on the OEM seat. Even though you said the mustang is designed not to need a backrest, do you know if you could still use the Utopia? Really like the higher firm support and adjustability. It would seem that you could mount it just like it was mounted to the original. Thanks, NCF6B

MichaelG
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Great posts. The Mustang seat is on my list after Christmas. I have a Utopia drivers backrest on the OEM seat. Even though you said the mustang is designed not to need a backrest, do you know if you could still use the Utopia? Really like the higher firm support and adjustability. It would seem that you could mount it just like it was mounted to the original. Thanks, NCF6B

Good question. Yesterday I got to see the newly revised...latest edition of the Mustang seat on kjelders bike, as three of us did a little ride. The seat looks great. But in answer to your question, I would have to say a definitive...NO. The riders' backstop is so high, that it would preclude being able to install a Utopia in that area, due to the thickness of the seat/foam. If you are NOT going to ever carry a passenger, I suppose you could mount the Utopia a little further back, and have it adjusted forward, so you could make contact with it. BTW, I do have a Utopia on my own bike, and have on a few bikes, so I am familiar with them.

I believe you would have a serious issue getting through the thickness of the seat foam, to be able to slide the Utopia frame into the seat, secure the Utopia frame to the underside of the seat pan, and have the Utopia pad be usable. Additionally, the Utopia is designed to fit correctly to the OEM seat pan. Utilizing an original hole in the seat pan. So, has anyone else installed a Utopia onto their aftermarket seat...that does NOT use the OEM pan, i.e., a Corbin ?

kjelders
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Miles is correct on his assessment.

98valk
11-26-2013, 01:26 AM
"Hey All,
That Mustang seat looks great and is real tempting. I am concerned that it sits back too far, though.

Would someone who has one of these seats measure the distance from the crease in the seat to the bottom of the gas cap panel? The stock seat measures 19.5", for instance.

Thanks! "

Was the question too complicated? No one with a Mustang seat knows how to use a tape measure? Is it too difficult to go make this measurement? This info might me useful to others as well.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, so let me re-word it. What is the distance from the bottom of the gas cap panel to the base of the driver's backrest (the stock distance is 19.5")? Any takers?

jimsol1
11-26-2013, 07:40 AM
"Hey All,

Thanks! "

Was the question too complicated? No one with a Mustang seat knows how to use a tape measure? Is it too difficult to go make this measurement? This info might me useful to others as well.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, so let me re-word it. What is the distance from the bottom of the gas cap panel to the base of the driver's backrest (the stock distance is 19.5")? Any takers?

I put end of measuring tape in space at bottom of gas door and measured to seam at start of backrest, 20 and 1/4 inches. Jim

Tbone56
11-26-2013, 08:36 AM
"Hey All,

Thanks! "

No response may be because very few have received their seat, since they had to be re-done. I just received mine late last night. Mine measures 20".

98valk
11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Thank you both, Jim and Tbone. That is very good info.

F6BPDX
11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
"Hey All,

Thanks! "

I'm sure your intentions are good, and by now you have two measurements, but just FYI you are sorta coming off as a prick. 'stop now' Not everybody has a mustang, and those who do may not have the ability to drop whatever they are doing and go measure it for you. If you were in such a large rush that you needed to get uppity with forum members I am quite sure a phone call to Mustang would have yielded an answer without making you come off in a bad light.

Johnny-B
11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Got mine back yesterday, already installed it, looks good, raining too much to try it out and hope not to have to take it off anytime soon, as it was a pain to get it installed along with saddlebag release levers as my seat is almost touching the arms, and leaves a little gap at bottom of hand rail and little plastic cover that bolt goes through kept getting pushed out of cover, but is on now, as wife said leave it alone.

Phantom
11-26-2013, 07:39 PM

:nono:
I didn't see where anyone has spoken to you in this manner. If you feel the need to belittle people, please do it elsewhere. This type of condescending talk will not get you far on this Forum, NO ONE is obligated to do anything especially when they read this type of CRAP. Come to this site to enjoy what people have to say, don't come on here to piss people off.

We all have bad days and if this is the case, 'chill/pill' .... or go for a ride.

Hook
11-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I like my Rus-Cor seat :041:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/hooksup2/photo4_zpse17c9d34.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/hooksup2/media/photo4_zpse17c9d34.jpg.html)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/hooksup2/photo5_zps244ec323.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/hooksup2/media/photo5_zps244ec323.jpg.html)

F6BPDX
11-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I like my Rus-Cor seat :041:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/hooksup2/photo4_zpse17c9d34.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/hooksup2/media/photo4_zpse17c9d34.jpg.html)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/hooksup2/photo5_zps244ec323.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/hooksup2/media/photo5_zps244ec323.jpg.html)

Hook, if you dont mind sharing, whats a rough "all in" cost for that seat set up? I like the smugler alot, but doing an RDL would make far more sense comfort wise. I fear the number may be above my paygrade though.:tissue:

Gonzo
11-27-2013, 11:51 AM
With the new design and the seat moving farther forward does this mean you loose the extra inch farther back than stock. I'm very interested in this seat but being one inch lower than stock just not sure looking for comments from others. Thank you..

kjelders
11-27-2013, 12:14 PM
With the new design and the seat moving farther forward does this mean you loose the extra inch farther back than stock. I'm very interested in this seat but being one inch lower than stock just not sure looking for comments from others. Thank you..

The sitting position is further back than stock, approximately 3/4". Getting the nose of the seat further forward was redesigned to close the gap at the front and to line up the side rail bolts. I installed the MBL risers ahead of time that moves the bars back 3/4". It is lower than stock approximately by 1". I'm 6' with 34" inseams.

Scotrod
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=F6BPDX;16077] whats a rough "all in" cost for that seat set up? (/QUOTE]

My wild azz guess, all said and done,,, "High teens". (without heat) :icon_biggrin:

F6BPDX
12-02-2013, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=F6BPDX;16077] whats a rough "all in" cost for that seat set up? (/QUOTE]

My wild azz guess, all said and done,,, "High teens". (without heat) :icon_biggrin:

That is about the same ball park I was figuring it to be. After factoring in the cost of the resulting month of having to find a new place to sleep it's just not worth it. :spank:

Steve 0080
12-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Now that was funny !!!!!!!! It is easier to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission.....

Hook
12-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Hook, if you dont mind sharing, whats a rough "all in" cost for that seat set up? I like the smugler alot, but doing an RDL would make far more sense comfort wise. I fear the number may be above my paygrade though.:tissue:It was a little steep....But after my ride Saturday it was worth every penny I spent:icon_doh: $700. for the Carbin and $650 (with shipping). So about $1500 when all done:icon_doh: But you may be able to get cheaper if you don't get the seat covered just buy just the pan and put it on the shelf till you come up with the rest of the money:yes:

Gonzo
12-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Have you had a chance to ride on it yet and what do you think as far as comfort and comparisons to stock seat. Gonzo..

:Saweeet smilie: