PDA

View Full Version : Buffeting

Ronbo
04-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Happy Easter everyone, what is the best windshield to stop the wind from blowing my head around at higher speeds. Thanks in advance for all your help. Ronbo 2013 FB6 GOT THE 13 INCH MEDIUM GRAY MASTAD
I will let you know thanks

Ronbo
04-01-2018, 12:43 PM
RONBO'S bike is a 2013 FB6

2wheelsforme
04-01-2018, 01:16 PM
I think most people will say the Mastad is the best for wind protection. Some do not like the looks and they are one of the most expensive but well worth it to me. Had a Klock Works which was not very effective. If you look at some of the newer bikes the two piece shield is gaining in popularly and I think it is because it is effective. Also look at "for sale" windshields, often many brands are offered for sale as people look for the perfect shield but seldom is a Mastad because Mastad ends that search.

LA Weld
04-01-2018, 01:43 PM
I think most people will say the Mastad is the best for wind protection. Some do not like the looks and they are one of the most expensive but well worth it to me. Had a Klock Works which was not very effective. If you look at some of the newer bikes the two piece shield is gaining in popularly and I think it is because it is effective. Also look at "for sale" windshields, often many brands are offered for sale as people look for the perfect shield but seldom is a Mastad because Mastad ends that search.

+1 Yep the best in performance, not so much in looks

F6Bster
04-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Everyone that has a Mastad (sp) seems to love it, but I really don’t like the looks. I recently put a Clearview SportTour, Medium Height, Dark, Recurve, with vent on my bike and I love it. I have it at the highest position and the air flows just over the top of my helmet. I do have Baker Mirror Wings also. I’m about 6’ and am riding on the stock seat.

And it looks GREAT and the quality is a 10. No good pictures yet but I will post a few when I get a chance to take them.

My real evaluation will be in early May, a 7-day trip to eastern Arizona and western New Mexico, probably just over 2k miles that week. I did get in a 240 mile ride the other day and I really liked how it performed.

edgeman55
04-01-2018, 02:31 PM
------- is by far the best shield out there.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I put off getting a ------- for 3 years because of looks.Now that I have it and have about 2000 miles behind it I find it very beautiful because it out performs any windshield I have ever ridden behind.

Ixol Phaane
04-01-2018, 02:44 PM

+2... love the way it works. Love the look. I think the industrial (?) look w it’s exposed hardware kind of enhances the bad assedness of the F6B. YMMV.

Ride safe!

2wheelsforme
04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
I did not like it at first before putting it on my bike. Now I like it think it looks futuristic and matches the bike perfectly. It can be much shorter than you are so easy to look over it. The wind is deflected much higher than the shield itself.

bob109
04-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Have a 2013 and had a OEM Tall Honda Shield with vent installed before taking delivery of the bike! That was 56K miles ago and no regrets. I'm 6'2" and have a stock seat. The height is perfect and no buffeting ever encountered.

Ride Safe

bob109

lgjhn
04-01-2018, 05:01 PM
When I purchased my '15 F6 from a fellow forum member here a couple of years ago, it had a dark gray 11" Mastad on it. At the time of purchase, I said to myself: "that ugly thing will be the first thing to be replaced." When I finally got the chance to ride the bike, I was totally surprised and impressed with this "ugly duckling". Even though I didn't care for the looks, it just worked so darn well that I didn't want to replace it....one of the best, if not the best, windshield I've ever sat behind. I also started getting comments on how well it complemented the bike's looks. I got to the point where I no longer cared about the looks. Matter fact, I got to where I kinda liked the looks.
FWIW, I also own a GW trike and have tried several windshields on it over the years with varying degrees of success/failure. Finally, my wife had enough of the wind/buffeting even though I was fine. She asked if we couldn't take the windshield off the F6 and use it on the GW trike....LOL. She loves the performance of the Mastad on the F6. Obviously, pulling the Mastad off the F6 was NOT going to happen. So just this past week, I ordered a new 12" Mastad in dark gray for that GW trike. Our hope is that it performs as well on the trike as it does on the F6. We shall see here in another week, but I have no doubt that it will.

Verismo
04-01-2018, 05:02 PM
A Honda Tall with vent came on the bike when I got it. I liked it. I changed to a Mstad with a 11 inch shield. I also like it. I see a little further over the Mstad than the Honda Tall, and it has similar protection. If you opt for a non Mstad shield, make sure you get a shield with a vent. The vent, aimed at the top of your helmet, will increase airflow and therefore keep the pressure high enough from allowing a low pressure area to form and suck in turbulent air around your helmet.

Jason

Verismo
04-01-2018, 05:05 PM
That's interesting. Why is -------(Mstad) being censored?

six2go
04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
That's interesting. Why is -------(Mstad) being censored?It appears that they are no longer a sponsor of this forum. Their banner is not on the homepage anymore. Actually there are several former sponsors who don't have banners anymore.

Ewreck
04-01-2018, 07:39 PM
I have the Clearview shield, large/wide for our bike and I'm happy with it. I'm 6'2 and get very little buffeting.

Az Wingrider
04-01-2018, 09:14 PM
I have a Windbender by Firecreek. It is a two piece adjustable windshield available in several heights. I am 5'11" and I have no buffeting in the next to the lowest position and I like the way it looks. It is one of the pricier windshields but this is the second bike I have had this windshield on and I would not hesitate to buy another one on my next motorcycle if it is a bike they make one for.

opas ride
04-01-2018, 10:33 PM
I know that many like the "ugly" Mastad, but not for me..Have the adjustable Baggershield on the bike for over 4 years and it works great for me...No buffeting, very little wind noise, and with the Mustang seat, Shoei helment and my 5' 9" size all is well !!!...Regards and ride safe

crossbowme
04-02-2018, 06:21 AM
I put on a Honda tall before I picked up new. Then went to two variations of the Clearview windshields and now, finally, have a Baggershield extra wide and tall and it works well. Don't like the looks of the Marstad and wonder how well it works in heavy rain.

VStarRider
04-02-2018, 07:28 AM
I initially hesitated with the MStad myself back in '15. Their website pics do no justice, they look terrible compared to how the bike really looks with an MS installed...either that, or I have just gotten used to it.

I grit my teeth and ordered a 13" screen (I'm 6'1") and have no regrets. This is easily the quietest ride I have ever had on a motorcycle, often equivalent to driving a car with the sunroof open or both driver's side windows down.

The genius behind the MStad is that basically takes the concept of "lowers" and applies them to a windshield, smoothing out the windflow coming towards the rider, even with the screen far below eye level. This elminates 90% of buffeting and significantly reduces noise.

VStarRider
04-02-2018, 07:33 AM
I put on a Honda tall before I picked up new. Then went to two variations of the Clearview windshields and now, finally, have a Baggershield extra wide and tall and it works well. Don't like the looks of the Marstad and wonder how well it works in heavy rain.

My helmet visor gets wet, because I keep the MStad angled towards me so I clearly see over it. Other than that, only my lap gets wet from rainwater dripping down from helmet. Tilted straight up, only the top of my helmet gets wet.

I am not sure how this compares to other windscreens, but on my VStars with big 21" Memphis Shades screens, I would significantly wetter...however, that may have to do with lack of coverage on the bike itself more than the windshield.

gadgeteer
04-02-2018, 07:38 AM
Everyone that has a Mastad (sp) seems to love it, but I really don’t like the looks. I recently put a Clearview SportTour, Medium Height, Dark, with vent on my bike and I love it. I have it at the highest position and the air flows just over the top of my helmet. I do have Baker Mirror Wings also. I’m about 6’ and am riding on the stock seat.

And it looks GREAT and the quality is a 10. No good pictures yet but I will post a few when I get a chance to take them.

My real evaluation will be in early May, a 7-day trip to eastern Arizona and western New Mexico, probably just over 2k miles that week. I did get in a 240 mile ride the other day and I really liked how it performed.

I used to look 'thru' windshields ... my Valkyrie, etc. ... then after deciding to wear a helmet on a regular basis, I decided I didn't need to be looking thru an additional sheet of plastic.
SO, when I replace my Valk windshield, I went with a Clearview. But, short enough that I could look OVER it. I worked great. The wind was deflected over my helmet and I didn't have to be as concerned with a bug covered windshield to look thru.

When I bought my '15 F6B, I immediately went to Clearview. They had a 're-curve', lightly tinted, at a height I could look over the top that works perfect. NO BUFFETING!
I've put over 10,000 miles on it since the purchase and would not consider anything else.

Just my opinion.

F6Bster
04-02-2018, 07:46 AM
I used to look 'thru' windshields ... my Valkyrie, etc. ... then after deciding to wear a helmet on a regular basis, I decided I didn't need to be looking thru an additional sheet of plastic.
SO, when I replace my Valk windshield, I went with a Clearview. But, short enough that I could look OVER it. I worked great. The wind was deflected over my helmet and I didn't have to be as concerned with a bug covered windshield to look thru.

When I bought my '15 F6B, I immediately went to Clearview. They had a 're-curve', lightly tinted, at a height I could look over the top that works perfect. NO BUFFETING!
I've put over 10,000 miles on it since the purchase and would not consider anything else.

Just my opinion.
Forgot to include that mine has the "recurve" also. I also look over the windshield, not through it.

Ronbo
04-02-2018, 04:20 PM
I took the advice and ordered the 13 inch med. Gray mastad

choptop
04-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Took a while for me to get used to the ------- but now it looks like it belongs and does what it is supposed to.

Verismo
04-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Congrats on a good purchase from a good company. Look forward to your ride report.

Jason

1951vbs
04-03-2018, 08:04 PM
103,000 miles with a -1 tinted sheild and can not figure out what buffeting anyone is talking about. I wear a full face helmet and have clean air all the time.

Verismo
04-03-2018, 09:14 PM
103,000 miles with a -1 tinted sheild and can not figure out what buffeting anyone is talking about. I wear a full face helmet and have clean air all the time.

Your height, inseam, and seat height will all affect what hits you. I'm 6' with 31" inseam and a Mustang deluxe. I found the pocket of air with a vent and the Honda Tall mostly tolerable with a full face, there was some buffeting. It was less noticeable with a half helmet. My favorite combo so far is the half helmet and the 11 inch shield that apparently shall not be named.

Jason

willtill
04-04-2018, 09:25 AM
What's the big "to-do" about -------'s name on this forum?

opas ride
04-04-2018, 09:33 AM
I think someone mentioned that Mastad is no longer a sponsor of this site or something like that....Seems like grown men playing "little boy games" to me....Ride safe

Joflewbyu2
04-04-2018, 01:22 PM
I have the Genuine Honda Accessory Tall Windscreen with Vent. It measures 16.5” from the rubber bottom lip to windshield tip. Being 5’11” with 32” and wearing a 1/2 helmet there is very little to nil buffeting. I believe part of the secret is leaving the vent partially open allowing some air to flow through and block the buffeting air breaking over the top of the windshield.

six2go
04-04-2018, 01:47 PM
I think someone mentioned that Mastad is no longer a sponsor of this site or something like that....Seems like grown men playing "little boy games" to me....Ride safeI didn't say for sure that they were no longer a sponsor. What I said was that their advertising banner as well as some others were no longer on the Homepage, so it appeared to me that maybe those who are missing were no longer board sponsors.

olegoat345
04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Anybody use the Wind Bender ?
My bike came with one, it seem to work great BUT it was x-dark tint & blocked everything right in front of the bike. I didn't like that.

Az Wingrider
04-05-2018, 09:52 AM
As I mentioned in an earlier post I have a Wind Bender and I like it. If you want a lesser tint you can order just the top section replacement from Firecreek. The pictures in my signature show my bike with the Wind Bender.

Lonny
04-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Got the windbender 13 inch dark tint.works as advertised. Couldn't be happier at 6'1".

VStarRider
04-05-2018, 07:49 PM
I didn't say for sure that they were no longer a sponsor. What I said was that their advertising banner as well as some others were no longer on the Homepage, so it appeared to me that maybe those who are missing were no longer board sponsors.

Is this board sophisticated enough to target a word / brand name and ---- throughout the forum, or does it have to be done manually? Man, if it is done manually, what a helluva job that would be.

six2go
04-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Is this board sophisticated enough to target a word / brand name and ---- throughout the forum, or does it have to be done manually? Man, if it is done manually, what a helluva job that would be.

I have no idea. I know that I'M not sophisticated enough to understand how all of this internet stuff works. I just hammer away at the keyboard and somehow my thoughts are projected onto the screen.:cheers:

willtill
04-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Let me try to fool the software; if it is a filter of sorts:

------- (it is filtered)

M.A.D.S.T.A.D.

Muu haaa haaa... (evil laugh) :icon_mrgreen:

Walcrow
04-06-2018, 07:21 AM
G.o.o.d. J.o.b. , w.i.l.l.

willtill
04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
G.o.o.d. J.o.b. , w.i.l.l.

Ha!

VStarRider
04-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Does Angrystad get around the filter ?!?!

HA!

Verismo
04-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Mad5tad. I have a feeling this censorship move isn't having the desired effect...

VStarRider
04-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Jason, I don't know what you mean. I still see lots of mentions of the Mad$tad windscreen. :D

six2go
04-06-2018, 03:21 PM
What about some of the other vendors that used to have banners and be listed on the Homepage? I know I'll miss acouple and maybe list one that wasn't there, but I'm trying to see if others are censored too.
Corbin, Clearview, MLB,and another windshield vendor called F4 Customs or something like that.

six2go
04-06-2018, 03:23 PM
What about some of the other vendors that used to have banners and be listed on the Homepage? I know I'll miss acouple and maybe list one that wasn't there, but I'm trying to see if others are censored too.
Corbin, Clearview, MLB,and another windshield vendor called F4 Customs or something like that.

Well, those came through just fine. So what did the 'stad folks do to get censored? Seems like an explanation from management would be helpful.

VStarRider
04-06-2018, 05:10 PM
I have never seen a brand name filtered out of a forum before, and I have been on a bunch of 'em over the years.

I wonder if someone's wife or mother was referred to in a derogatory manner, or a phone got slammed down that led to Maddstad being blacklisted.

lgjhn
04-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Well, FWIW, based on the performance of the Stad on my F6 and the comments by others on this forum, I purchased another one this past week and installed it tonight on my GW trike.
Hopefully, I'll get to check it out later this week once this weather passes thru. The GW setup comes with a 12" screen, but basically the same otherwise.

Xrider57
05-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I have never seen a brand name filtered out of a forum before, and I have been on a bunch of 'em over the years.

I wonder if someone's wife or mother was referred to in a derogatory manner, or a phone got slammed down that led to Maddstad being blacklisted.
I asked Blair at ------- yesterday what they did to butt hurt the forum. He said he didn’t know .

Zteve
05-11-2018, 07:10 PM

+1 on the -1!
I lowered my stock shield by 1.5" and it's clean air now. Great for warm weather.

jmdaniel
05-13-2018, 10:13 AM
If you can wait, Anderson Windows is coming out with a windshield for the B. Word is that they saw people that bought the -------, and figured they had all the spare parts in house already! And their product will be Energy Star rated! :p

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_g_C.htmhttp://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/images/casementhinge.jpg

WEGI
05-13-2018, 12:49 PM
If you can wait, Anderson Windows is coming out with a windshield for the B. Word is that they saw people that bought the -------, and figured they had all the spare parts in house already! And their product will be Energy Star rated! :p

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_g_C.htmhttp://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/images/casementhinge.jpg

And I heard it's coming with an installed screen so you can have fresh air and no bugs! Mad$tad look out! ��
WEG

Ronbo
05-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Update on the Mastad 13 inch med. gray windshield that i ordered. It worked fine as far as blocking the wind and eliminated the buffeting but i could not see over it easy and was much too dark for me (could no see pot holes in daylight or the road at night) so i returned it for the 11 inch and light gray. I am very happy now and by the way the people at Mastad were happy to exchange it for me even though i did not use the chart that turned out to be correct . THANKS Mastad and everyone who responded to my thread... RONBO

grendl
05-18-2018, 07:35 PM
I may have a different set of criteria as I actually liked the stock windsheid and the wind.It was a trip down south in August that made me consider and install a Klockwerks shield. The bugs were so thick I couldnt keep up trying to wipe them away from my helmet.
The Klockwerks works fine for me and is effective in the cold,no buffeting,keeps me dry when it rains,hails or snows. No I didnt intend to ride in the snow and it wasnt sticking but I live in Colorado where weather is sometimes determined by how high you are.
For those in Co,Trail Ridge Road.
Point is I'm happy with my Klockwerks.

JackBurns40
10-30-2018, 12:15 AM
I have the Genuine Honda Accessory Tall Windscreen with Vent. It measures 16.5” from the rubber bottom lip to windshield tip. Being 5’11” with 32” and wearing a 1/2 helmet there is very little to nil buffeting. I believe part of the secret is leaving the vent partially open allowing some air to flow through and block the buffeting air breaking over the top of the windshield.

Do you look over the shield or through it? Thanks

tenxxx
10-30-2018, 08:49 AM
My MStad works great in any position, but I get whisps of air around my ears with a half helmet.
Cant hear music at speed.

broncsrule21
10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
I may have a different set of criteria as I actually liked the stock windsheid and the wind.It was a trip down south in August that made me consider and install a Klockwerks shield. The bugs were so thick I couldnt keep up trying to wipe them away from my helmet.
The Klockwerks works fine for me and is effective in the cold,no buffeting,keeps me dry when it rains,hails or snows. No I didnt intend to ride in the snow and it wasnt sticking but I live in Colorado where weather is sometimes determined by how high you are.
For those in Co,Trail Ridge Road.
Point is I'm happy with my Klockwerks.

Trail Ridge Road??? might have heard of it.......5840

F6Joe
10-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Ordered the 15, Lt Gray, looking very forward to it arriving.

olegoat345
10-30-2018, 11:19 AM
I tried the Klockwerks, I got lots of buffeting. Honda 15" works okay, not great. Went back to the "Wind Bender" it works great. EZ up-down adjustment at stop light. Great folks to deal/work with.

Az Wingrider
10-30-2018, 09:15 PM
As I said in an earlier thread I have Windbender by FireCreek and I have no complaints. This is the second motorcycle I have had a Windbender on and I never considered anything else when I bought the B.

Xrider57
01-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Has anyone used the ------- and the Windbender? If so which did you like best?

98valk
01-22-2020, 12:35 PM
My MStad works great in any position, but I get whisps of air around my ears with a half helmet.
Cant hear music at speed.

Thanks, good to know. That would be unacceptable for me. Part of the reason that I bought the F6 is for the great sounding stereo.

I've settled with two shields. I use a Tulsa Tall for very long trips. I use a 16" Clearview most of the time. The Clearview does have turbulence at highway speeds. I added a sort of "xscreen" to help with that.