PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Ford Trucks?

willtill
04-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Rant-

Every Ford truck that I've owned while in Maryland has had issues. My F150 V6 had repetitive timing chain cover leaks. My next 5.4L F150 had to have the motor replaced; due to piston slap. My last 7.3L F350 diesel would not fire at the most inopportune times; and a diagnosis never was reached for it.

Now my current 2011 5.0L F150 has a loud knock 5 minutes after a cold start, and goes away after the engine is completely warmed up. Now out of warranty. And only 41,000 miles on it. :sad20: And it has always burned at least a quart of oil every 5K.

I'm at wits end here regarding Found On Road Dead trucks :mad:

Undetermined at this time what I'm going to do about it. Do I:

1. Keep it and wait for the motor to fail? Then replace motor? Most likely in excess of 5K.. She's been a knock'in for the last 15K from my best recollection.

2. Trade it in and get another truck?

Reading other ford message boards; there are shared owner experiences regarding this very issue. Some say run it until it blows up, others say should be replaced and still others have had mixed results with Stealerships either replacing the motor... or not.

Should have never gotten rid of my Tacoma. Sigh...

bob109
04-07-2018, 10:08 AM
I have a Toyota 4 Runner which I purchased new in 2005! Except for tires, wiper blades, brake pads and two rear rotors the vehicle is OEM down to every light bulb. 104000 miles and the original spark plugs are also in place! Buying Honda, Toyota etc. you purchase "reliability"!

Regarding your Ford! Purchase good insurance and hope "Lickmann's Lightening Service" pays a visit:rolleyes:

Cali261
04-07-2018, 10:27 AM
I learned my lesson in ‘92. Bought a brand new Ford T-Bird. The problems never ended right from the start. Even though it was all covered under warranty, I still had to take the time and effort to deal with it. To make matters worse, the loaner they gave me was a Ford Tempo, talk about a bucket of bolts!!! Never again! We bought a Toyota, which we passed on to my older son, and he still drives. 240,000 miles later.

Ewreck
04-07-2018, 10:59 AM
All vehicles today are garbage. Some are reliable mechanically but paint, body, fenders, etc are pure crap. I used Ford trucks exclusively for my construction company and up until 2000 you could actually lean on em or stand on the bumper without causing 1000 bucks in damage. I have a 14 FJ Cruiser and a 16 Dodge Ram 2500 and I am anal on the maintenance,especially the exteriors and it's almost futile. Careful about hand waxing the hood to hard as it might cave in. The consumer can not be allowed to own anything of true quality as they need you buying new junk every two to three years to keep the fiat world turning.

tenxxx
04-07-2018, 11:11 AM
My first post here. Still setting up my account.
In 50 years I've never had a reliable Ford. I know others who swear by them.
I swear on mine too. Big nasty words! Harley's have been like Fords for me. Big bucks, with troubles to match.
If you find a good one, drive it till it quits.
Have had very good luck with Chevy and Dodge over the years.
Now Driving a 04 Toyota Highlander with 105,000 miles. Runs perfect.
Riding a 2013 F6B with 8,500 miles. Also runs perfect.
You'll know what to do when the mood hits you in the wallet. You get to go anywhere you want from here.
Isn't this life wonderful. You get to start over every day if you wish.
Good Luck:)

Heatnbeat
04-07-2018, 12:28 PM
I can't compliance about my Ranger. 1997, 218,000, new ting belts at 100,000, and 200,000, new plugs at 100,000, 1 starter, 1 alternator,and still the original clutch. Just sold it because it was a 5sp and my shoulder surgery required an automatic.

edgeman55
04-07-2018, 01:40 PM
2005 Ford F-150XL with a 4.2 liter V6 and 5 speed manual.Had to replace upper and lower intakes at 48000 miles which were a problem on the 4.2.Since then It has 173000 trouble free miles on her.Other then normal maintenance it still has the original clutch, tranny,and rear end.Hand crank widows and no power anything-simple and cheap plus she still gets 20+mpg on good Ol regular fuel.Cost per mile it has been the best vehicle I have owned next to Goldwings.

opas ride
04-07-2018, 01:50 PM
I have been driving Ford products for almost 50 years..Some vans, trucks, cars, and now an suv....Had some transmission issues a few times with mini-vans, and a couple car issues years back...Never had any significant problems/ issues with the trucks I had and would buy another Ford truck without hesitation!!!...Best truck currently out there in my opinion!!

terryboyle
04-07-2018, 01:58 PM
I am surprised by these stories. The F150 has been the best selling truck in North America for many years

opas ride
04-07-2018, 04:19 PM
I am surprised by these stories. The F150 has been the best selling truck in North America for many years

Find me one manufacturer that has not had some quality issues, re-calls, un-happy customers at some point, and I will buy you a steak dinner!!!! With the mass numbers of vehicles produced by humans, no one is perfect in anyway.....Including the Asian manufacturers!!!...Even wonder car Toyota has had major issues...Each of us has stories about certain vehicles that have "pissed us off at times"...That is life, plain and simple...Regards and ride safe

soupbean
04-08-2018, 06:44 AM
If I had to purchase a “domestic” vehicle it would be a Ford. I’ve had first hand experience with domestic made work vehicles for many years and the Ford products are by far the most reliable and trouble free of the big three.
Whenever we fly somewhere on vacation and I rent a car it’s a Mustang.., that’s just a thing with me.., after all, I’m on vacation to have fun.
Bought my first Toyota 4wd pickup in 1987 and hav owned nothing but Toyotas since. The wife is on her third Camry in 25 years, not one issue with any of them. My last pickup was a 2000 Tundra that I purchased new and drove for 15 trouble free years, looked like new when I sold it to the wife’s uncle. My current ride is a ‘10 4Runner limited full time 4wd. It’s very well documented that 4Runners are one of the most reliable vehicles produced in the world.
Then there’s my summer time four wheeled toy .., a Corolla XR-S 2zz-ge engined car with several drivetrain and suspension modifications. I’d feel completely comfortable throwing the battery in this car and driving to the west coast and back..
The biggest reason I ride Honda’s over.., lets say Harley’s. Peace of mind..

Retired Army
04-08-2018, 07:56 AM
A number of companies are offering a life time warranty. The only stipulation is all scheduled maintenance in the owners manual to include oil changes has to be performed at their authorized facility.

willtill
04-08-2018, 09:03 AM
A number of companies are offering a life time warranty. The only stipulation is all scheduled maintenance in the owners manual to include oil changes has to be performed at their authorized facility.

I had the ESP plan and it expired on 6/21/16

Bought originally from Apple Ford in Columbia. That had given me the "Dealership for Life" program which included lifetime engine warranty. However I'm not eligible for that warranty since I did not have them perform all of the service work on my truck; as their warranty contract strictly stipulates.

After they screwed up my truck three times (twice during their "free oil changes") and ruined the lugnuts on my tires during a rotation (and introduced a long standing unbalanced tire issue) I elected never to bring the truck back to them.

six2go
04-08-2018, 10:14 AM
I had the ESP plan and it expired on 6/21/16

Bought originally from Apple Ford in Columbia. That had given me the "Dealership for Life" program which included lifetime engine warranty. However I'm not eligible for that warranty since I did not have them perform all of the service work on my truck; as their warranty contract strictly stipulates.

After they screwed up my truck three times (twice during their "free oil changes") and ruined the lugnuts on my tires during a rotation (and introduced a long standing unbalanced tire issue) I elected never to bring the truck back to them.

Geez Will, you sure do have a lot of trouble with dealerships.

willtill
04-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Geez Will, you sure do have a lot of trouble with dealerships.

Seems so. I have high standards. Expect others to meet them. Mediocrisy is not in my vocabulary.

I am taking delivery of a 2018 Tacoma tomorrow afternoon. Picture forthcoming.

Cali261
04-08-2018, 06:03 PM
My next Toyota will likely be my last as I don’t think I have 200,000 miles left in me.

shortleg0521
04-08-2018, 07:29 PM
I feel like the Toyota Takoma has got to be one of the best trucks out there.
If you really look at them , their brakes and drive lines you will see how much
better they are.
Their motors are tops.
Now the tough part is their price.

soupbean
04-09-2018, 03:58 AM
Seems so. I have high standards. Expect others to meet them. Mediocrisy is not in my vocabulary.

I am taking delivery of a 2018 Tacoma tomorrow afternoon. Picture forthcoming.
Congrats on the new Toyota.., looking forward to the pics. You’ll have no problem getting 200,000-300,000 miles out of it.

Travelor
04-09-2018, 11:06 AM
I had a Tundra 5.7li crew cab from 2008 - 2015 and put on 85,000 trouble free miles. Smooth as a sedan on the highway. Only one warranty issue, and one replacement of a parking brake cable (except for normal wear and tear such as brakes and oil/filter changes). Got 44,000 from the tires. Trailered a 21 foot boat routinely each summer 2008 - 2011. Traded it in on a 2015 Highlander and I still miss it.

Only Fords I've ever owned were a Pinto Station Wagon and Sedan. Had no choice, they were company cars and would never own another after those experiences.

willtill
04-09-2018, 01:10 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/fup28m.jpg

Hopefully will get many, many trouble free miles out of her. Amazing all of the electronic tech that's in it these now, compared to my earlier owned 'Taco

F6Bster
04-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Hopefully will get many, many trouble free miles out of her. Amazing all of the electronic tech that's in it these now, compared to my earlier owned 'Taco

'all/right':icon_goodpost:.score10/10

bob109
04-09-2018, 02:28 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/fup28m.jpg

Best of luck with the new toy Will! My 4 Runner is silver and easy to keep clean. A good heavy rain substitutes for the car wash:D

jmdaniel
04-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Rant-

Every Ford truck that I've owned while in Maryland has had issues. My F150 V6 had repetitive timing chain cover leaks. My next 5.4L F150 had to have the motor replaced; due to piston slap. My last 7.3L F350 diesel would not fire at the most inopportune times; and a diagnosis never was reached for it.

Now my current 2011 5.0L F150 has a loud knock 5 minutes after a cold start, and goes away after the engine is completely warmed up. Now out of warranty. And only 41,000 miles on it. :sad20: And it has always burned at least a quart of oil every 5K.

I'm at wits end here regarding Found On Road Dead trucks :mad:

Undetermined at this time what I'm going to do about it. Do I:

1. Keep it and wait for the motor to fail? Then replace motor? Most likely in excess of 5K.. She's been a knock'in for the last 15K from my best recollection.

2. Trade it in and get another truck?

Reading other ford message boards; there are shared owner experiences regarding this very issue. Some say run it until it blows up, others say should be replaced and still others have had mixed results with Stealerships either replacing the motor... or not.

Should have never gotten rid of my Tacoma. Sigh...

I got rid of my Tacoma as well...

For a Tundra!

Only Toyotas in my garage...

https://i.imgur.com/YvRp8fp.jpg

thumper 549
04-10-2018, 04:10 AM
The BIG pick Ups all suck.
Fprd, GM, Chev=IDC

The computer glitches to start.!
There is no excuse for the crap.
I will say Ram is the absolute worst.
My advice is to buy an older international 4200.
They are under CDL
They are plentiful, you can get them 4x4 if you look hard.
No computers.
Utopia
Never again will I buy another American pick up.
I have had Semi trucks for years.
Many With over 800,000 miles on them, they have never be down as much as my Ram.
NEVER.
Some years of Fords are way horrible as the Cab has to come off for quite a few operations!
They should have at least built them like a " Cab Over" so it could be jacked up.
The Duramax- I read of endless and expensive injecter problems....
Did i say go get an old International 4200?
That is the answer.

soupbean
04-10-2018, 04:11 AM
SWEET... ! Would love to see more pics of the FJ..

jmdaniel
04-10-2018, 07:23 AM
SWEET... ! Would love to see more pics of the FJ..

Ask, and ye shall...

https://i.imgur.com/hfCdUbBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Fye2jIl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TUuxWwLl.jpg

willtill
04-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Ask, and ye shall...

That is TOUGH! 'all/right' Seems to be well taken care of too!

jmdaniel
04-10-2018, 08:42 AM
That is TOUGH! 'all/right' Seems to be well taken care of too!

Thanks! It's a garage queen that I've owned for 6 years. Frame off restore by a guy up in the Portland area; Aqualu aluminum tub and front fenders, 350 Chebby under the hood, etc... I've done some work on it since I bought it, but the restore was off the charts. It's appreciated quite a bit in value in the time I've had it, due to the price of LandCruisers going way up, but I haven't really thought of selling it.

3Chief
04-10-2018, 05:45 PM
The BIG pick Ups all suck.
Fprd, GM, Chev=IDC

The computer glitches to start.!
There is no excuse for the crap.
I will say Ram is the absolute worst.
My advice is to buy an older international 4200.
They are under CDL
They are plentiful, you can get them 4x4 if you look hard.
No computers.
Utopia
Never again will I buy another American pick up.
I have had Semi trucks for years.
Many With over 800,000 miles on them, they have never be down as much as my Ram.
NEVER.
Some years of Fords are way horrible as the Cab has to come off for quite a few operations!
They should have at least built them like a " Cab Over" so it could be jacked up.
The Duramax- I read of endless and expensive injecter problems....
Did i say go get an old International 4200?
That is the answer.

I've had no issues with my 2000 Ram 2500, 158k and going strong. I would never by a Toyota/Nissan or whatever for any average to heavy use. They're all grocery getters at best. Ford and Chevy after the early eighties are garbage IMO. Hard to beat 5.9 Cummins.

thumper 549
04-10-2018, 06:02 PM
I could tell you many long faced stories.
110 K engine spun #7 main.
Plastic, Yes I SAID plastic oil cooling jets! They jumped out of the block.
No OP to the rear mains.

Mine is a One Ton and it is used like a truck.
It never leaves the yard to go get the mail or groceries.
It is DRW has all instruments and is monitored. EGT, FP, Boost. ETC
To just do a rotor swap, get ready for a hellish day, they are INBOARD.
And yes I know all the tricks in removing them.

soupbean
04-11-2018, 04:34 AM
Ask, and ye shall...

Damn..! That is one nice looking rig !! If you have Instagram you might enjoy posts from 4Runnermafia..

jmdaniel
04-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Damn..! That is one nice looking rig !! If you have Instagram you might enjoy posts from 4Runnermafia..

Thanks! I do have Instagram, but never use it. I have one picture in my account, that I posted about 6 years ago.

soupbean
04-12-2018, 04:05 AM
Why we’re on the subject.., a couple more that I follow are crawlandhaul and goldwing.bagger .��