PDA

View Full Version : What happens after a cager hits a rider?

VStarRider
04-10-2018, 08:05 PM
I have often wondered this.

I have even contemplated emailing one of the local news stations to do a special report on it.

So, let's say a cager does what happens too often ... pulls in front of an oncoming motorcycle, and the rider collides with the car and is seriously injured or dies.

What happens to cagers in this situation? Has a driver ever been charged with involuntary manslaughter or other severe crime? What happens if the cager only has $25K/$50K liability?

Anyone know any of the answers to these questions, or additional details?

willtill
04-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Too many variables and outcomes, depending on the situation and local

I’d rather not think of something like this to discuss as idle chat... that is just me

wjduke
04-11-2018, 04:23 AM
Yesterday was my 4th year anniversary of getting hit by a cager. He was 83, had the minimum insurance as you mentioned, and to this day, I have no clue what happened to him. He was cited at the scene by police and that's the last I heard. I can only hope he at least lost his license. It's a good thing I had decent insurance to cover most things his didn't.

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 05:08 AM
You all Must be REAl bikers to use the word cager .......like you all don't own one.
Again, as usual, most blame a thing rather than the real problem.
people.
Cagers = Stupid GD people.

Draxsr
04-11-2018, 05:18 AM
Not sure anyone was 'blaming' anyone or anything in this hypothetical. Simply asking a question. Geesh, what crawled out of your Wheaties?

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 05:47 AM
Mostly the term cagers....is so hypocritical, and so used by wannabees.

willtill
04-11-2018, 05:58 AM
I don't like the label "cagers" either, but we all know what it means.

I'll add a little to me initial post in this thread. Most vehicles operators that violate a motorcycles right of way usually are just cited with the traffic violation. I think it's because the intent or malice to intentionally cause harm to a motorcyclist simply cannot be proven. So bodily harm charges (manslaughter, etc) are not levied against them.

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 06:22 AM
I got run over once...Yup, he did not see me.
I was in the right, all most dead right.
But the lesson learned and learned the hard way!
I have not ever presumed a thing since then.
Every driveway, bush, an intersection is hiding a potential killer.
I now am the most invisible M/C on the road.
I just presume they do not see me, and they will do the wrong things
I cringe when I watch others ride..through intersections, never ever looking....
If you want morbid entertainment-go to the coffee shop near a corner....
Take a window seat-
Watch the number of motorcycles going through..never paying one bit of attn to the situation.
Learn your lesson if you can

willtill
04-11-2018, 06:34 AM
I got run over once...Yup, he did not see me.
I was in the right, all most dead right.
But the lesson learned and learned the hard way!
I have not ever presumed a thing since then.
Every driveway, bush, an intersection is hiding a potential killer.
I now am the most invisible M/C on the road.
I just presume they do not see me, and they will do the wrong things
I cringe when I watch others ride..through intersections, never ever looking....
If you want morbid entertainment-go to the coffee shop near a corner....
Take a window seat-
Watch the number of motorcycles going through..never paying one bit of attn to the situation.
Learn your lesson if you can

So true.

I almost got whacked the other day. I was driving past a long line of vehicles that were stopped in the other direction; and suddenly a car just popped out perpendicular to the line of them; right in front of me. Thank goodness i HAD enough space to brake and avoid T-boning the vehicle as it turned in front of me and continued in the same direction I was going.

Never, ever, nonchalantly speed past a line of stalled cars (in either direction) :nono:

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 06:50 AM
I forgot, the driver of this "Cage" that almost killed me- got a ticket, failure to yield the right of way.
BFD
Truly M/C laws should be changed.
But the neon bubble gum chewing, pink hat arseholes have no clue.
Politicians do not ride bikes, they are chauffeured.
We as a unit have to wake up and petition for the law.
ABATE is worthless...
This rat did not just dent a fender.
He about killed me!
A ticket for yielding the right of way for banging another car is just fine..everyone goes on with life.
Running over a M/C is now not quite the same thing.
He should have been sighted with assault with a vehicle.
An accident means unforeseen circumstances-
His action was more of negligence to pay attn to what he was going.

jmdaniel
04-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Failure To Yield is the traffic ticket written here in Texas, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Seems light, to me, when turning a car into the path of an oncoming motorcycle happens way too often, and is often a fatality.

Retired Army
04-11-2018, 07:24 AM
The laws of physics trump the laws of the land. In all cases anything bigger than you has the right of way.

jmdaniel
04-11-2018, 08:47 AM
The laws of physics trump the laws of the land. In all cases anything bigger than you has the right of way.

Size (mass) is one factor in physics, but not the only one.

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 09:11 AM
That's all well and good
Have you ever experienced the Left turn thing?
If you are not mentally ahead of the picture you will learn the hard way.

VStarRider
04-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Never, ever, nonchalantly speed past a line of stalled cars (in either direction)

TOTALLY agree.

The line of cars tightly packed together is one of the more scary situations to encounter as a rider. A cager, in the aforementioned line, not thinking about a bike, but looking at the turn he/she is about to make, can pull right in front of you and legitimately claim to never see you. Worst thing is, depending upon the exact timing and the intersection, there's no escape routes.

Limited sight lines, such as a short hill, also frighten me. I like the advice: "Be prepared to stop within the vanish zone" - the point of the road where it vanishes and you cannot see what is coming.

As for the topic of the thread, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with themselves or someone else in the aftermath of a crash. Without supplemental uninsured/underinsured and/or disability insurance, you could be in a world of hurt beyond anything physical.

tenxxx
04-11-2018, 06:47 PM
If the driver at fault does not cause a certain amount of damage or TOO much bodily harm and is not pursued by the victim, a fine according to the ticket is all they get. The more severe the incident the higher the cost for the one at fault. Doesn't matter who was driving what. Depends on the ticket and the charge Its up to the officer at the time. The victim can pursue and make things worse but its up to them. Every case is different. Thank God!
I think the laws governing these things are fare. YOU have to defend yourself at all times.
"He who endureth to the end shall be saved".

thumper 549
04-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Its hard to make it to court laying in the hospital.............

jmdaniel
04-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Its hard to make it to court laying in the hospital.............

Or in a grave.

Ewreck
04-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Wife and I hit by a drunk driver in 2000. 9th DUI, vehicular manslaughter charge in 1980. We both almost died. 9 surgeries, 3 months in hospital, and a year in rehab until I could walk again. Hospital bill over 2 million and he got 18 months for his misdeed.

willtill
04-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Wife and I hit by a drunk driver in 2000. 9th DUI, vehicular manslaughter charge in 1980. We both almost died. 9 surgeries, 3 months in hospital, and a year in rehab until I could walk again. Hospital bill over 2 million and he got 18 months for his misdeed.

Wow! That's awful. Hope you and your wife are well from that now...

valkmc
04-12-2018, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3sL9FEUgyk

This driver is an illegal immigrant here in Florida. They caught him after he tried to destroy the evidence (car) and has been charged with agg. battery.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-road-rage-cell-phone-video-sarasota-20180410-story.html

I don't think in today's world I would ride up next to a car and hit the window!!

Ewreck
04-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Wow! That's awful. Hope you and your wife are well from that now...

It was a rough year and we are both very fortunate to be here. Motorcycles have been part of my life since I was 5 or 6 and most people don't understand how i can still get on one after that. My wife stayed off em for a few years but she still enjoys riding. Lots of lingering aches and pains but swimming and yoga help. We are planning on the Cortez run and I am looking forward to putting a face on some of the people here. One of many glamour shots I have. Yes, wore a full face helmet but they don't save all at 60mph.

willtill
04-12-2018, 04:49 PM
It was a rough year and we are both very fortunate to be here. Motorcycles have been part of my life since I was 5 or 6 and most people don't understand how i can still get on one after that. My wife stayed off em for a few years but she still enjoys riding. Lots of lingering aches and pains but swimming and yoga help. We are planning on the Cortez run and I am looking forward to putting a face on some of the people here. One of many glamour shots I have. Yes, wore a full face helmet but they don't save all at 60mph.

Chicks dig scars my friend. :icon_wink:

Will be good to see you and others as well this summer.

Ewreck
04-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Chicks dig scars my friend. :icon_wink:

Will be good to see you and others as well this summer.

Good thing as I have a bunch.5102

willtill
04-13-2018, 04:06 AM
:shock:

lake_carl
04-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Short version of worse day of my life 30 years ago. Let friend drive my new bike, I on back. 4 lane 35mph. Approaching stop light controlled intetsection we knew light be green when we got there so slowed bit then right to speed as it went green. Elderly woman waiting to turn left did not see us, we collided mid passenger door. I flew 30 feet, my friend slammed shoulder into car roof suffering near death injuries. Woman continued to drive several hundred feet till witness made her stop. She was cited for failure to yield right of way, her minimum insurance paid max, she owned basically nothing and only S S income. I did not know my friend did not have motorcycle license so I got ticket for allowing him to drive. My insurance paid max. The hospital filed papers with the court to force me to pay his bills
Lawyers and bankruptcy only cost me around $5k

VStarRider
04-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Short version of worse day of my life 30 years ago. Let friend drive my new bike, I on back. 4 lane 35mph. Approaching stop light controlled intetsection we knew light be green when we got there so slowed bit then right to speed as it went green. Elderly woman waiting to turn left did not see us, we collided mid passenger door. I flew 30 feet, my friend slammed shoulder into car roof suffering near death injuries. Woman continued to drive several hundred feet till witness made her stop. She was cited for failure to yield right of way, her minimum insurance paid max, she owned basically nothing and only S S income. I did not know my friend did not have motorcycle license so I got ticket for allowing him to drive. My insurance paid max. The hospital filed papers with the court to force me to pay his bills
Lawyers and bankruptcy only cost me around $5k

Holy crap.

This is classic case for disability income insurance, supplemental uninsured/underinsured, and PIP. Sheesh.